Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaner

Real Name Beaner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Beaner
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 3, 2001, 10:40
Total Comments 512 (Apprentice)
User ID 9214

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
2. Re: Evening Screenshots May 10, 2011, 06:01 Beaner

Looks good to me. That gun taking up so much real estate smells of a console though  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Man Who "Killed" Starsiege Tribes
37. Re: The Man Who Apr 1, 2011, 00:20 Beaner

I kind of believe Hi Rez has a chance to revive the game and actually make a decent successor. First of all, although they are listening to fans of the game, they do not come from the inner culture of the hardcore world of Tribes spawned by some of the hate mongering in Tribalwar and other competitive folks surrounding them. They are not controlled by any publisher. Some of the devs played Tribes. The artwork they have shown thus far looks awesome and yet very true to tribes. The blood eagle is a bit Halo, but they nailed it with the diamond sword armor thus far. I just think they aren't going to try and make this Tribes LT and/or water down the tactical of the game like TV. It will be fast and furious with all the goods you expect. I'm hopeful. I worry more about their choice of the Unreal engine.

Some of the stuff Thrax says in that article makes me realize why TV was so minimal and watered down. I'm glad he doesnt want to ever work on an Tribes game. Stay far far away from it Thrax please. Hes just piping off now because all of a sudden some dev company has the kahunas to take on the challenge and thus far their artwork and trailer inspire more Tribes than anything Tribes Vengeance.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2011, 00:26.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Announced
77. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 26, 2011, 19:36 Beaner

Sepharo wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 14:15:
I was one of the people who bought Tribes 2 and was never able to get any good at it. I loved all the mechanics though; the cameras and turrets , base generators, etc.

And thats probably why you stuck around to play it. Thats my point about all this stuff. The competition guys or long time players downplay it. But thats also why Tribes has never taken off. The game cant just cater to the hardcore crowd. It needs to include all the fun stuff that made this game such a blast for many different types of players.

With that said, its also VERY important they keep the core physics and gameplay intact. If you nerf it all to hell that doesn't help either because you will lose a large portion of the fanbase. The developers of T2 all admitted that was one of the biggest mistakes they made with the out of box release of the game. They got it right by adding the new elements, improving on vehicles and such, but they should have released it with the classic physics that came much later as a patch fix. Dont mess with the speed and momentum physics of the game and keep all the core assets that were in T1/T2.

74. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 14, 2011, 08:35 Beaner

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 16:54:
And like I said, they have the source code to the engine. They can tool the netcode however they like. Of course they can do an awful job of it regardless, but so they could if they decided to roll their own or use another engine.

Even Red Orchestra, a smallish project, was able to tweak UE's networking code and I've heard that it ended up working quite well (apparently they did it without touching the actual core netcode, just the higher-level bits).

Not trying to be negative but you have to understand. That is exactly what Irrational games was saying when they were working on Tribes Vengeance. Everyone was worried about Irrational games choosing the unreal engine for TV. They would try and calm everyone down by telling them they are completely revising the engine and netcode. Well it was what many fans expected. A lot of choppy lag and non regs.

67. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 13, 2011, 05:44 Beaner

Wow, I think you completely missed the point of my post. Yes, it's easy to escape missiles when you have flares. There's no skill involved, you just drop a flare as soon as you hear the missile lock warning. However, when you don't have flares, you're screwed. Therefore, everyone in T2 was essentially forced to carry flares at the expense of other grenades. What exactly was the point in having frag grenades, flashbang grenades and concussion grenades if flare grenades are the only ones used?

Not everyone is a capper. Your argument about flares taking up a spot to hold gernades was a popular complaint. And you have a point. I see an easy fix. Allow a player to carry grenades and flares. I don't think that throws off much balance. My point about the missile launchers is that they are an excellent gateway weapon. The type of thing that allows a newbie to enjoy the game and feel like they can contribute (on defense). The problem with Tribes especially Tribes 1 is that the ski glitch brought along with a higher skill curve in the game. New people jumping into a game of tribes the first time may get annoyed and quit all together. In fact skiing can almost seem like a cheat to them. You have missile launchers, deployables, teams grouping up with elf guns and suddenly the game becomes fun and interesting to the new player. I just wouldn't want all those things and to gimp the physics or speed. That would suck. I want this game to attract a huge following and not just a small niche following of fans.

And regarding vehicles. Its not like anyone can jump into a shrike and be insta ram kill. It does take some time and skill to be good at doing that. Both bombers and tanks require team work to use them effectively unlike the fisher price spam vehicles in TV.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2011, 05:54.

64. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 12, 2011, 23:19 Beaner

NoBS wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 14:20:
Suddenly_Dead wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 12:40:
And it's not like Epic has just been sitting on it doing nothing since the time of T:V.
Tribes: Vengeance should not be used as the benchmark for Unreal engine network performance. The build of the Unreal engine in Tribes: Vengeance predates UT2004 so it has none of the improvements Epic made for larger scale network games with vehicles. In addition Irrational made major modifications to the engine including adding Havok physics which affects performance. Tribes: Vengeance also never received needed fixes because Vivendi killed postgame support due to poor sales.

So should we use the chop and lag of unreal 3 as evidence? I have yet to see or play a large scale game with lots of action on any unreal engine that isnt full of shitty chop and lag. Thats probbaly why cornboy and the firefall guys are using their own tweaked variant of the project offset engine. I am more then willing to bet firefall will be capable of handling large maps with tons of action and very little lag. I doubt I could say the same about any unreal engine. Unreal engine is all about tons of eye candy and many of the games are optimized for consoles on smaller maps.

63. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 12, 2011, 23:08 Beaner

Tony!!! wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 12:28:
Wrong wrong wrong Beaner. Tribes 2 was perfect. Maybe you forgot how over abused skiing became in Tribes? It completley ruined the team work aspect of the game. One guy gets the flag and he bullets across the map at uncatchable speeds. It was basically the equivelant of a misused glitch.
Tribes 2 got ride of that extreme, thus putting more emphasis on team work and making recoving a stolen flag possible.

Tony this is the deal. Tribes 2 was a good game. In fact I love it more than the original and I loved Tribes 1. You have a point about skiing being fast and all but thats the point about the skill base in Tribes. You cannot diminish that element of the game without killing of a large portion of the fanbase who grew up to love this game. Its like ripping the soul out of it. Yes someone new to the game may have a hard time dealing with experienced players who can ski well. With that said, that is why I like Tribes 2. Tribes 2 threw in a lot more elements that made the game fun and capable for new players. The vehicles, more deployables, cloaking, elf gun and yes even the missile launcher and flare. Those things helped even the game a bit. Sure veterans of the game may whine about those things. But I would much rather have those elements in game and keep the skiing fast and furious versus gimping the speed and slowing tribes down to a call of duty crawl or ground hugger game. THe immense popularity of tribes came about partially due to that skiing glitch. it is now considered a soul part of tribes gameplay and what makes it so unique compared to any other FPS.

And to the veterans who whine about the missile launcher and flare or vehicles. You are such pussies. Its so easy to manage flares to counter missiles. Ive seen many a good player easily fly through and escape misiles, turrets the whole nine yards. Thats the point to make you work for it. For the guys who maybe cant chase or ski well, if they team up and work together they can make life hell for the cowboy lpb who thinks he can just jump into a full sever and control everything. Its not 1998 anymore where you are god because everyone else you are playing is on a 56k connection. You are the type of people that have hurt this game more then help it.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2011, 23:13.

51. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 12, 2011, 09:58 Beaner

In my opinion, the biggest challenge with any tribes game is always the physics and skiing. Tribes is one of those game where the physics is such an important aspect of the game and so many people have opinions about it. Its all about the little details of movement. The speed, the fluid movement of jump skiing, momentum, carving all of that. I think thats one thing that can make or break the game. That and completely borking the weapons or removing assets and such. That was the biggest mistake with Tribes 2 base release and with Tribes Vengeance. Tribes 2 would have had far more success with the tribes fanbase if they had released it with the classic physics and not that soupy nerfed console movement at release.

Also it really worries me that they are building this on the unreal engine. When has the unreal engine ever had good network code to support large maps with a lot of players and a lot of action. Thats why Torque was so awesome. The netcode in torque kicked ass. The netcode in unreal was shitty as is evident by the chop and lag in Tribes vengeance.

49. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 12, 2011, 06:39 Beaner

If they turn this into some soupy MMO variant of Tribes its going to suck.  

News Comments > TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced
68. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Nov 14, 2010, 03:53 Beaner

Beamer wrote on Oct 29, 2010, 11:08:
My basic point is that no mechanic in Tribes is unique enough on its own to really be able to stop anyone else from doing it without the Tribes name, the combination isn't unique enough to stop anyone from doing it without the Tribes name, Tribes one didn't really have atmosphere that distinguished it, and the backstory was stupid to the point that no one rememebers it and the attempt to flesh it out flopped.

People are taking offense to the term "generic," but from a legal standpoint it mostly is. Tribes was more than the sum of its parts, but its parts were all generic, with the potential exception of skiing

You are correct. Yes a lot of elements of Tribes can be found in other games now. Yes skiing was just a bug that was not intended. But that skiing bug is the magical element that made this game so special and still unique. It's become part of the game. The same way a rocket jump in quake became part of quake. Its not that other games couldnt employ jets and something called skiing. Its that none of them seem to understand the details of how that skiing movment worked that made it such a blast. Its called jump skiing. Its not ice skating (Tribes vengeance), it wasnt hover skiing (Legions). It was that unique combination of jetting, skiing and jumping that was "smooth" while keeping your momentum cosistent. You could carve, you could disc and bounce off objects. In both TV and Legions you could barely do any of that. Its the magical formula that I dont think any developer will be capable to emulate properly. Most do the ice skating hover thing and figure thats all there is to it.

News Comments > InstantAction Closed
13. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 14, 2010, 03:38 Beaner

Whether you liked or dislikes their so called spritual successor to tribes they had other unique games like rocketball that a lot of people seemed to like. The problem is that they kept nerfing everything down regardless of what people would say. Also their choice of instant jam as their big game for IA was kind of dumb. I just dont think they had a high calibre team of people to run the company effectively. People expect a lot of polish out of games these days and their online games weren't very polished. The Tribes reheash was watered down even more then Tribes Vengeance which I'm sure turned off a lot of the exisiting fanbase anyway. Then you add things like the oncoming free firefall game, Onlive gaming services. Some tough competiiton.  

61. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 27, 2010, 01:53 Beaner

Surf wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 23:27:
This game was SO AHEAD OF IT'S TIME! I mean it had match making for a team on the front end, a great game locator/browser that companies like Valve/Steam finally figured out, 10 years later!

They had large amounts of players
Excellent network code!
Original, useful weapons
Kick ass equipment like the mini deployable turrets
Mortars and laser targeters
Quick command speech
Bad ass two player tanks!
The mobile HQ!

The game really stressed defense more than offense, scores were low, but man when someone scored it was like in a hockey game, AMAZING!

By far the most original and best FPS online game ever made and just doesn't get credit for it at all.

It was so ahead of its time its taken 20 years for the industry to catch up. Even with that, most big money developers havent a clue how beloved this game has been by many a gamer.

60. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 27, 2010, 01:46 Beaner

I find it hard to get excited. Not that I wouldnt love to play a new Tribes game, but rather the concern they are building this on the unreal engine. Its the worst game engine for this game. Everything they are saying about how they are "optimizing" the unreal engine sounds exactly like a repeat of Irrational Games when they made Tribes vengeance on Unreal 2. Worst decison ever. Part of what made Tribes so awesome was the "smooth" physics and movment. So now you want to put it on the eye candy engine full of lag and chop? WTF. I hope to God Cornboy can deliver some MP goodness with Firefall. I have more faith in that game as long as Scott Youngblood is in control.  

News Comments > Section 8: Prejudice Unveiled
19. Re: Section 8: Prejudice Unveiled Sep 14, 2010, 01:41 Beaner

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Sep 10, 2010, 19:17:
If you go tot he firefall forums, look for my thread (by Houdini) dealing with PvE/PvP/Instance/Open World...
There are a lot of kids on that forum that want arena combat or not much of any PvP... and it's an FPS!@#!@#!@#!@#
god damn console morons. I hope they are way, way off

They said they will release details regarding the PVP/multiplayer stuff at a later date. Lets judge it then. Many of the devs on this game have a PC gaming past. They aim to make sure all the skill based PVP stuff is intact and primed. They have said this is a PC game first and foremost.

News Comments > FireFall Revealed
19. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 10, 2010, 07:11 Beaner

Just another shooter, how boring. And they want to charge you to play this? Not likely.

No charge and thank God its not Spore.

News Comments > FireFall Revealed
18. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 10, 2010, 07:10 Beaner

All they covered is the open world co-op stuff. They say they will reveal more about the multiplayer skill based PVP play at a later date. They have really pushed the fact that they will optimize to make this a skill based PVP game. Coop PVE is one type of play.  

News Comments > Section 8: Prejudice Unveiled
13. Re: Section 8: Prejudice Unveiled Sep 10, 2010, 06:47 Beaner

I cant beleive Blue hasnt reported about firefall the game. Or maybe I just never saw it. For those of you looking for something of a spiritual successor to Tribes I think you should seriously take a look at Red5's new game. They revealed it at Pax. Lead Game designer is Scott YoungBlood. Co creator of Tribes and Tribes 2. Plus a lot of the developers and community management around this game are from the tribes community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41fBdFZ2_Lc

http://www.red5studios.com/

The game
http://www.firefallthegame.com/

The game looks amazing and you can tell Scott is at the helm. All the way down to the jetpacks, inventory, packs, armors (they call them battleframes) etc. It also has all the backing of developers from the Wow community. Kern the founder of the company was a co lead on Wow. This will be no slouch of a game.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2010, 07:16.

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions
35. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 8, 2010, 09:02 Beaner

I loved Quake but who is going to pay for this?  

News Comments > Intel Drops Project Offset
15. Re: Intel Drops Project Offset Jul 3, 2010, 08:11 Beaner

So what about Red 5 and their mystery project? They were supposedly using the offset engine? Is this all just vaporware? Tons of money wasted in fancy bean bag chairs, coke machines and golden tickets.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse May 13, 2010, 01:26 Beaner

Someday, all these loaded words, social networking, tweets, podcasts blah blah blah will be as common as using the household phone. By then hopefully we wont hype up the same old form of communication with another fancy name. All this stuff was around years ago. They just werent wrapped in pretty shells or consolidated into centralized websites.

1. Blog = personal website with comments.

2. Tweets = Again posting comments, oh excuse me, posting comments about what you did a minute ago.

3. Social networking = a big fancy message board with a lot of ways to share video and pictures with multiple level of threads so you can post comments about those videos and pictures.

4. Podcast = You downloading an MP3 file and listen to it.

Shall I go on...

512 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo