Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaner

Real Name Beaner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Beaner
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 3, 2001, 10:40
Total Comments 512 (Apprentice)
User ID 9214

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Quake 4 Demo
108. Re: Well Nov 28, 2005, 03:56 Beaner

The problem is simply that the majority of online players have either grown tired of the same old footsoldier deathmatch and CTF combat and play larger scale games which incorporate vehicles

You just described Tribes and Tribes 2. The best darkhorse "large scale" mulitplayer CTF game, even to this day.

I think the problem in the gaming industry is that most console gamers or those new to the PC realm of games judge games based on the single player game and the cool graphics.

Us old school folks that remember paying 5$ to play DOOM on an IPX LAN at the local radio shack, things like Action Quake and when the internet was still called the information superhighway judge our games based on the mulitplayer gameplay, movement, physics, netcode etc.

Dont get me wrong, cool graphics are nice, but not to the point where it kills the intense gameplay found in classic games like Q2 or Tribes. If you Quake fans are hurting over Quake 4, you now know what the Tribes community felt like when Vivendi made Tribes Vengeance.

Q4 doesnt quite have that same magic for me as Q2, but it looks pretty and has some new things. Quakewars should be interesting. Right now the gaming publishers have a very general market audience which is pretty generic. We need some new kind of game publishers made up of devs and veterans of the industry to make and market high end games to the extreme multiplayer fan, and the Vivendi's and EA's of the world can market and make their mush for the general console market.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Quake 4 Demo
56. Re: Nov 24, 2005, 08:01 Beaner

I think Quake Wars is the biggie thats being focused on. Moving the game into bigger open environements, more teamplay. tactical warfare style of gameplay (instead of plain old deathmatch)

Thats the trend for the new big MP titles, but most of those are just rehashed World War Army games etc.

Thank god for Tribes & Tribes 2 because without it I'd already be bored with a majority of the fodder on the market today (in regards to stellar multiplayer gameplay).

Quake 2 is still more fun then Q4 so far. And dont even get me on the physics in Half Life and Unreal because they suck.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1724299898399849799&q=tribes+2

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7281718720876613843&q=tribes+2
This comment was edited on Nov 24, 08:14.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
1. UT poop Nov 15, 2005, 00:30 Beaner

so Unreal 2007 has everything you want. its got a sleek look, vehicles, big guns, tools the works.

Does it still have the crappy Unreal engine physics and netcode? We'll see.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
48. No subject Nov 3, 2005, 04:24 Beaner

Advance Xbox 360s Fetching $1,000-plus On Ebay.

Geez you could by a new PC for that price.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: PC game industry come back Oct 31, 2005, 05:10 Beaner

Whoever said PC gaming is dead? What is that based on? Its based on sales per unit of consoles. Yes consoles games sell far more units than PC games, but the same could be said of The Ford Tuarus and a Mercedes SL500. You have the cheaper by the dozen easy accessible console games, and then you have the more complex and indepth PC games that yes, may require more mula or PC experience, but offer far more depth, customization and by far the better mulitplayer experience.

Honestly, I think one of the biggest reason there is a push for PC games all of a sudden, is because MULITPLAYER games are becoming a bigger factor than just the plain old single player or 7 on 7 XBOX console type of multiplay games. Broadband is more common place. Microsoft isnt stupid, they know MP gaming is a huge untapped market, and PC games are a big factor in that arena. They intend to make PC gaming easier with Vista for those who are not computer savy.

We all know the real enthusiast gamer is a PC gamer..period.

Give me a keyboard and a mouse or give me death...

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 05:14.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: I feel bad... Oct 25, 2005, 02:26 Beaner

The movie was "DOOMED" from the beginning. Hollywood doesnt get it, but hey they're probaly doomed as well.

News Comments > Monday Game Reviews
14. Re: No subject Oct 25, 2005, 02:09 Beaner

Fear is pretty good in regards to the MP. Quake 4 is alright but seems like the same thing we've played before. All these FPS games need to get out of the damn indoor and boxed maps. Looking more forward to Quake Enemy Territory and see if things move beyond the box.

I will agree that HF2 had the best single player game, but unlike most I disagree about the physics model in HF and HF2. Both Unreal and HF2 physics sucks compared to the creamy smooth movement in any Quake game. Fears physics is also mucho better than Half Life or anything Unreal.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 02:21.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: FEAR Oct 21, 2005, 05:05 Beaner

Fear is good. I have 9800 pro and P4 2.8 and it runs smooth on my machine. The new generation of games will look better an better, but with that improvement, either some of you need to upgrade or stick with bad performance or running the game in with everything turned down to low. Its just reality of the technology. Those uber screenshots of next gen games you may see will require some beef to play at high res.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 05:06.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Quake 4
135. Re: ... Oct 19, 2005, 04:43 Beaner

Yes Shogo was a blast. One of those underground hits that never quite made it big, but a great game indeed. Sniping humans in a mech woot.

Monolith makes some of the best MP weapons. They rocked in Shogo, and with Fear they've done a great job with pretty smooth netcode.

I dont like HF or Unreal physics. Its shifty compared to the physics in games like Quake, Tribes and Fear. HF and CSS are so over hyped.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 04:45.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Apple Introduces Video IPod, TV Deals. Oct 13, 2005, 21:09 Beaner

Hmm watch my next big sci fi rental on the Ipod or a 42" LCD/Plasma Screen TV. My moneys on the TV.

Ipodimania is for idiots.

News Comments > etc.
1. The nerf Oct 10, 2005, 23:03 Beaner

Ahh another game franchise going through the old nerfing.

Tribes fans we are no longer alone. Behold the console effect has arrived to diminish great games everywhere.

News Comments > Gold - Quake 4
63. Re: Fear DM Oct 4, 2005, 06:43 Beaner

Just for the record: FEAR DM is just lame.

Wrong. Its actually the best DM, DM CTF game to come along in a long time and I dont even like deathmatch that much anymore. The netcode is smooth. And all this excitement with one map.

It looks great and when you hit something, you actually hit it. Hoping Q4 lives up to its reputation because some serious competition is out there. The big one for me isnt Q4, its Quake ET. Take this battle on a bigger level.
This comment was edited on Oct 4, 06:46.

News Comments > Gold - Quake 4
12. no more boxes Oct 3, 2005, 22:59 Beaner

Deathmatch and enclosed maps are as exciting as drying paint. Bring on Quake: ET.

Fear is probaly one of the better deathmatch games to come along.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. MP Demo
83. Action Quake Sep 30, 2005, 02:50 Beaner

The demo is pretty cool. Classic deathmatch enthusiasts will dig the game. The physics feel good and if you were one of theose folks that loved Action Quake in the day, you'll probaly dig this game.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. No subject Sep 26, 2005, 05:57 Beaner

There is no denying that consoles are geting beefier and that joe consumer likes the simplicity of a console, but like many here, I love games on the PC because consoles cannot offer:

1. user content, MODS

2. they have yet to provide robust multiplayer with say more that 6 or 10 players.

3. The game versions on the PC are always far more complex with far more controls than the watered down console game.

4. As the article stated, the flexibility to upgrade on the PC.

I think one of the big differences between PC gamers and console folks, is that PC gamers tend to put a lot of worth in multiplayer gaming and gameplay, whereas console folks tend to be more into scripted single player games with uber graphics.

And for the Apple and Linux folks crying about windows specific gaming, hey tell Steve Jobs or those in the know with the Linux world to get of their arse and do something about it. You cant just sit on your laurels and expect everything to be free these days. Apple should especially be at fault because they are a big commercial entity, and they could have cared less about gaming until recently.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 06:02.

News Comments > SWAT 4 Expansion Announced
25. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2005, 00:11 Beaner

A very good question. But I think the connection is that Swat4 is an Irrational game, and many still blame them for the Tribes: Vengeance no patch debacle. I guess they feel Swat4 should be boycotted as punishment, or something.

true. Its a bit overkill for everyone to blame Irrational, they were just doing their job, which was primarily to make a Tribes game that had a decent single player game and to ease the game down for new players.

The anger, however, stems from Vivendi's direction of reducing the game down and not focusing on the most popular aspect of the game by "its fanbase" which is the mulitplayer game. Its obvious how incomplete the MP and server piece were when the game was released, plus the fact that they changed the game quite a lot and removed core features. Folks just stew over Swat 4 because it was built on the mofified Unreal engine built for Tribes vengeance.

I'm sure its good for game like SWAT 4, but it wasnt really the best choice for a Tribes game. Plus, Irrational is a well respected dev team, they make good games, but I dont think they were really the best choice to make a Tribes game. The hard truth is that Vivendi will just hold the franchise, and the only devs worthy to make another Tribes game are the old Dynamix folks at Garage Games or a dev team thats actually familiar with the nuances of Tribes gameplay.

I do agree though, the SWAT 4 bashing by Tribes fans is a bit much. Let the SWAT 4 folks enjoy their game, they've been ignored a long time as well. The fact is that someone "in the know" will make another Tribes game. The franchise has a large devout fanbase that marketing folks cant guage because most of them are hardcore MP gaming enthusiasts. That market hasnt even been cracked yet because the game industry is in the hyper goo stage of mass console sales and pretty games.

One thing Tribes fans should ask themselves is why the core old Dynamix group at Garage Games seems oblivious to care about the gem they created? Seriously, even though they mention it and cracked some jokes about TV, do you ever see or hear them actively discuss or do anything about getting their game back etc. I dont think you'd see John Carmack or the folks at Valve just not care about the franchise and games they created. I hate to say it, but part of Tribes failure can be blamed on the very devs that created it.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 00:17.

News Comments > The Early Show
5. Re: Holy shit! Sep 19, 2005, 16:55 Beaner

Wow, Crytek's engine is awesome. I just hope the netcode gets improved. its great for singleplayer, but man if they can fix the network code for mulitplay..awesome.

News Comments > Quake 4 Mania
42. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2005, 03:52 Beaner

Boy you sound like me. I was also hardcore Quake in the day. Loved Quake 1 and 2 and really got into Action Quake. This was all before Half-Life CS. When Tribes came out it was like this huge underground hit, but it also formed a big rift. Those who were diehard Quake players thought Tribes was a mech game or just couldnt get over jetpacks. And yes, the graphics looked corny compared to Quake or Hal-Life which caused a lot of peeps to overlook it, but thats the charm, the Gameplay was frickin incredible. If some Quake player took hold to it, it never let you go. After Tribes 1, I never played Quake again. Deathmatch was dead and boring after the experience.

The other camp that discovered the game just could not believe how innovative and new it was for an FPS. I honestly dont think a lot of younger gamers realize how much Tribes innovated and influenced team based CTF and larger warfare style FPS games. It was "the first" large scale warfare style FPS in a "fully immersive environement VS the boxed in enclosd maps of every other FPS on the market. Some great competition games on Tribes uber competiton. A lot of Tribes folks have gravitated to BF2 because there is honestly not very many FPS multiplay games that can satiate the appetite if your hooked on Tribes. BF2 is somewhat similiar, but gets slow and boring after awhile.

Now we have Tribes Vengeance and its so embarrassingly bad. Vivendi has truly turned gold into crap.

Now ID and other game franchise are moving that direction and its 2005! I do look forward to ET Quake Wars, but this latest Q4 vid definitely isnt all that impressive.
This comment was edited on Sep 17, 06:07.

News Comments > Quake 4 Mania
39. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2005, 00:54 Beaner

BF2 isnt bad for an army tactical FPS, probaly the best one available today (until COD 2). Tribes plays a lot faster than all of these games except for the uber twitch style deathmatch games like CS or Quake, but thats the beauty of Tribes. It gives you that large, immersive warfare style of team gameplay thats fast, furious and intense. CTF Tribes, Tribes 2 simply kicked ass. Plus even todays newest games dont compare to its freedom of movment.

FarCry is also a cool game, but the netcode on that engine for multiplay stank.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 00:57.

News Comments > Gold - F.E.A.R.
76. Re: Sep 16, 2005, 21:31 Beaner

Shogo was so fun. Its ironic how games are rated these days. I understand that publishers ultimately want to sell to the numbed masses, but they always rate games high based on "shelf space" sellers in big stores like Best Buy etc. Most of the great games that enthusiasts like never get the recognition because we are smaller numbers, and most of the games we like may be considered to complicated for Joe Avergae or great "Mulitplayer titles". Its lame, we need more enthusiast reviews and ratings instead of the crap IGN stuff etc.

512 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo