Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaner

Real Name Beaner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Beaner
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 3, 2001, 10:40
Total Comments 512 (Apprentice)
User ID 9214

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > EA versus Ubisoft
28. Re: No subject Feb 1, 2006, 23:07 Beaner

game publishers are the network exxecutives of today. They want to set the agenda for games, control the content delivered and basically provide mush.

I cannot wait for the turnover point when digital distribution slays these dogs to a well deserved death. The beauty will be the day when homegrown development teams can make and distribute their own games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Marble Blast Jan 26, 2006, 22:16 Beaner

Right on Garage Games. And thank you Jeff and remaining crew from Dynamix for the greatness that was Tribes. When you make gobs of money again get your baby back from the trash that is Vivendi Universal.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 22:16.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2006, 01:33 Beaner

32 years old and already worth over a billion dollars. Just for a silly search engine. Crazy shit. Although, I can understand why they're selling. Sell now while it's worth something.

Exactly. Not that Google wont be a big player in the tech field, but god talk about an uber hyped stock and company. One day their shares are going to tank like crazy. Seriously they are just a search engine.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Ouch to Firefox Jan 21, 2006, 18:55 Beaner

IE 7 looks pretty damn cool. Sure they borrow the tab idea, but being MS they improve on it 10 fold the way the Japanese and Euro's improve on the car.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Google pack Jan 11, 2006, 22:26 Beaner

No ones going to deny Google is the best search engine, but after the IPO and all the uber hype on the company, the reality is that Google doesnt really have a lot of hot commodoties to sell. Yes they can sell advertising, yes they have all their labs stuff, but hard commodoties? They have one search engine device and a stock thats hyped up more than a .com from the 90's.

I always wondered what the big deal was about this Google pack. Its like one of those software bundle discs you get with a new video card that you chuck in the garbage can.

Google Google Google.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. This is a win for Dell and Microsoft. Jan 6, 2006, 21:19 Beaner

High end game PC's like the Dell prove their is still a large market for enthusiast PC gamers, not just casual joystick wobblers. The high end PC hardware and gaming platform will heat up, and MS has already admitted that they are partially to blame for hurting PC gaming in regards to bringing it to the mass market. MS has already said Vista will be honed for gaming in terms of making it easier for the novice to play PC games.

The new gen consoles are nice and give you good image output on a high def TV, but I think we all know the high end of gaming (especially multiplayer gaming) is on the PC. And sure a good game PC may be more expensive, but its upgradeable to suit the changing techologies, the games can be modded, the online environment is not controlled by MS online, or Sony online etc. Plus factor in the cost of a high def TV, extra controllers etc and the cost are about the same.

By the way, Vista looks slick as hell if you all havent seen the latest views from CES.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: No subject Jan 1, 2006, 19:38 Beaner

I'll stick to PC gaming. Essentially thats what these consoles are aiming for. Not just heavy duty graphics, but the online experience.

News Comments > Wednesday Q&As
34. Re: I got F.E.A.R for Chrismas Dec 29, 2005, 03:17 Beaner

I'd have to give Farcry the best Trophy in terms of environement graphics, AI etc. The closest to getting the game OUT of the boxed maps. It was an awesome game, but for multiplay its netcode and such had problems.

Doom 3, Quake 4 for best multiplayer physics with Fear in the running. Doom 3 also had great lighting.

Half Life 2 gets best single player story, best urban city graphics, but scores low on the physics aka (HF, Unreal stutter type of movement and character animation)

Yes Fear was a good game and I never had performance problems with the game.
This comment was edited on Dec 29, 03:19.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. smoke and mirrors with Firefox Dec 22, 2005, 02:38 Beaner

I had the same cpu memory issues mentioned in the article. I'd even argue with some that I still think IE's rendering engine is superior (on windows) to Firefox. Firefox is nice, but its not an IE killer, just another browser that competes with it. Many times plain hate for MS blinds many to distort reality.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. re: Why Apple Is The New Sony. Dec 21, 2005, 00:44 Beaner

That article is laughable. Apple comes out with one big hype device every several years and leans on it for the next several years until the hype fades and they have to think of something new. Right now that hype device is the IPOD. Several years back it was the IMAC.

Sony in Comparison sells hundreds of various electronics and more. Apple fanatics are blindly overzealous about their beloved Apple. They are a marketers dream consumer.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. re: Why Apple Is The New Sony. Dec 21, 2005, 00:44 Beaner

That article is laughable. Apple comes out with one big hype device every several years and leans on it for the next several years until the hype fades and they have to think of something new. Right now that hype device is the IPOD. Several years back it was the IMAC.

Sony in Comparison sells hundreds of various electronics and more. Apple fanatics are blindly overzealous about their beloved Apple. They are a marketers dream consumer.

News Comments > SiN Episodes Delay
90. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2005, 05:46 Beaner

And someday some of those great games you'll buy online wont require a big publisher like EA or Vivendi to produce and distribute. Indepenendent labels, and better non violated games.

News Comments > UT2004 Megapack Plans
27. Re: Cheap Gaming Dec 11, 2005, 08:12 Beaner

I never liked Unreal. It felt too shifty, but I never actually played Unreal Tourney 2004 which seems to be the best version yet. With support like this it does make one consider buying the game.

News Comments > On In-Game Ads
51. Re: Whatever Dec 6, 2005, 02:53 Beaner

No one has a problem with Blue putting ads in a "free" website. Thats totaly understandable. But if you pay for content, why the ads?

And regarding voice over talent. There are many "unknown" names in the voice over world. Paying 1/3 or more of your budget to some big name actor for a voice over is stupid. This isnt the 1980's early 90's when you had games come out from Korea with broken english etc. Lots of proffesional "unknown" voice over talent is available. I have never bought a game because I was wowed by the "starring the voice's of..". Seriously this is Hollywoods influence into the gaming market. If you aren't all aware of it, the movie industry has been hurting for quite some time. Revenues are down. They are oogling over the 30 billion dollars in revenue generated by games. You know we have to make sure these actors continue to live on their caviar lifestyle.

When I think that the exhuberent amount of money paid to famous voice over actors could have gone to squashing bugs, graphic assets, gameplay, testing. It Kills me. Show some love to the developers that crunch code and the graphic artists for endless hours making these games.
This comment was edited on Dec 6, 03:04.

44. Re: No subject Dec 5, 2005, 20:43 Beaner

Re: No subject Dec 5, 11:56 Overon

Is this stuff gonna make games cheaper or just make the developers richer?

What do you think? Has steam made steam games cheaper? Has in movie advertising made the price of a movie ticket cheaper? Has the price of cd's made music cd's cheaper?

Good point, All I see are the prices going UP. Maybe if you didnt pay Samuel Jackson a million to voice over you could cut costs. Hiring Hollywood actors to do voice overs, jesus what a crock of idiocy and greed. Dont these folks make enough money as is to actually act.

43. screwed. Dec 5, 2005, 20:34 Beaner

You know I understand these companies need revenue. Its expensive as hell today to develop a game, and the competition is tough. With that said, however, if I flippin fork out $50.00+ to buy the product, I dont expect to be bombarded with Ads. It really is annoying as hell.

Research my ass. This is more corporate bullshit. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that a majority of folks who buy a game dont like the endless barrage of Ads that pop up when they start the thing.

We can whine and scream about it, but this is a corporate decision. Companies pay big money to have their slogans plastered on the startup screen and so forth. Thats all the research they need. The only thing that would make them re-think such a thing, is if sales on games plummeted like a rock due to the ads, which obviously isnt going to happen.

Ever notice that DVD Movie you bought now includes movie trailers and Ads as well? Its a trend. If theres money to be made in advertising, consumer opinion means nothing as long as the sale of the product isnt drasticaly affected and companies are willing to pay for the promotions. What pisses me off are these stupid research opinion studies. they scue the results to make it seem like hated things are positive.

I mean honestly what bullshit:

q a majority of study participants said that when the product is relevant to the game, advertising enhances the experience

Yeah and 5 minutes later your hitting up the boards and web trying to find out how to manually remove the crap from your stratup screen. Why cant you put the damn Ads in the box.

News Comments > SiN Episodes Q&As
25. Re: Episodes... Dec 5, 2005, 02:50 Beaner

They need to make a number of standalone short stories that build a bigger picture, not just give us parts of the whole

I agree. This is just the next step in ways a company can milk you for a game. I can understand they need to make money considering development costs these days, but geez once I read it will be piecemeal it loses my interest.

SIN was pretty fun playing deathmatch. Lots of fun on the minituarized maps. I'd rather this be a complete game released but oh well. But hey, they put jetpacks on the baddies ala Tribes..cool.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: UK Resistance Dec 4, 2005, 09:53 Beaner

classic. It was funny as hell, and I'd still like to snuff out Vivendi (the company..no death threats intended) and 50 cent. Its amazing in the world today how idiots and thugs can become millionaires and have stupid games made about their true character.

We all can look forward to more hollywood oriented crap games and movies. Woohoo arent you so excited. Hollywood is all into games now. crap.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
5. Re: No subject Dec 1, 2005, 23:12 Beaner

You could play Tribes 2 for free. Planetside, like Halo and many others were originally derived concepts born from The Tribes franchise. Dave Georgeson produced Tribes 2 with dynamix and moved on to Planetside.

News Comments > Quake 4 Demo
110. Re: Well Nov 28, 2005, 20:20 Beaner

I'll bet you it happens. But yes, over time the bigger you get the more of a large commercial entity you become.

George Lucas did this after Star Wars. His Skwalker Ranch innovated a lot and cut itself loose from the big studio's, but now even he finds himself one of the big guys he use to fight.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 20:21.

512 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo