Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaner

Real Name Beaner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Beaner
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 3, 2001, 10:40
Total Comments 512 (Apprentice)
User ID 9214

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Forerunners Mar 16, 2006, 23:29 Beaner

Damnit Garage Games hurry and get that TSE Tribes like demo out. Im flipping tired of these tailgaters trying to steal your fire.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
58. adware nazis Mar 6, 2006, 01:47 Beaner

off topic. Blue whats the deal with the endless adware, spayware. Your sites infested with the stuff these days. And yes Im on Firefox. I know you have to feed the family, but it just seems really bad lately =(.

News Comments > More on Savage 2 Distribution Plans
10. No subject Mar 2, 2006, 07:07 Beaner

Personally I think this is great. Bypass the publishers that basically control the avenues for introducing titles to the public. They focus all their marketing narrowly toward consoles or big name franchises.

Its like the old days when there were 3 networks that basically controlled what you watched on TV and were the "Agenda setters" for your news. With cable, sattelite and the internet you dont need that type of control and who wants it.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 07:12.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: PC Gaming Feb 27, 2006, 03:56 Beaner

The fact is that the "commercial gaming business" base their figures soley on console games. When it comes to "multiplayer games" a market that is pretty new to the console world, PC games dominate and have been dominate since the late 80's.

This research is really no suprise, but it does show you how skewed gaming trends are toward consoles. There are many large markets that game companies have not pursued and one of them is the enthusiasts PC gaming market. The next step for consoles is the online market, but there are limitations in regards to console multiplayer games that just dont exist with PC mulitplayer games. Why its taken anyone so long to notice is beyond me, but hey, the folks that do all this research are pretty naive when it comes to high end gaming anyways. Right now they are all in the AOL stages of gaming with the consoles.

More folks dont discover PC games because of the hardware and cost barrier. To play some of the high end games you need a pretty expensive video card and a decent system. I know folks who still own a PC with a Pentium 2 and a matrox card. They go out sepnd 50 bucks on Half Life 2 and cant play the game. But powerful hardware is becoming more standard in even low end machines these days, and hey once you discover online multiplay with PC games, all of a sudden consoles dont quite excite.

News Comments > UT2007 This Winter?
6. Re: No subject Feb 25, 2006, 03:11 Beaner

Please show me some Unreal 2007 in game footage thats not in some enclosed city map. I want to see how well the maps can actually scale.

News Comments > UT2007 This Winter?
4. No subject Feb 25, 2006, 02:18 Beaner

Early alpha vid
http://www.tribalwar.com/~colosus/blog_3.wmv

mulitplayer tech demo in March to be available free. Remember the Q1 tech demo for quake? Remember Tribes 1? Gargage Games is Dynamix.

Unreal 3 lol. Quake Wars Megatexture we'll see.
This comment was edited on Feb 25, 02:22.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Sequels
11. Re: No subject Feb 21, 2006, 21:35 Beaner

Any game franchise that goes with VU publishing is looking for a kick in the nuts.

News Comments > More on TRIBES Rumors
96. Re: Wow Feb 20, 2006, 22:35 Beaner

I think my point was, making a Tribes game that core tribes community will enjoy is not likely to happen

point well taken, but I honestly dont think that would be the case anymore. As long as the right people make the core game on a modern engine. Thats Garage Games.

If GG makes the demo moddable, watch out. The Tribes community will go nuts with it.

If they make a full game, it will probaly be on par with T2, but Im sure they'll make sure the physics and speed will be more than enough to compensate for classic man on man Tribes CTF gameplay. Thats fully understood in the Tribes community. There are two types of players and some spill over either way. Plus GG wouldnt really make another Tribes, but another game like Tribes, unles they buy back the franchise from the grips of Vivendi. (God that would be double orgasmic).

Hey Nefilm thanks for all the great maps! I vote you and Zod, Zodd definite members of the dev team. If they'd have you =).

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 22:43.

75. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2006, 02:42 Beaner

Tribes was extremely ahead of its time, and extremely influential. I think maybe TOO ahead of its time. Getting a decent game of Tribes very quickly became dependent on having a broadband connection, something that was nowhere near as common as it was when BF 1942 shipped.

The audience was splintered from pretty early on, with the 'low ping bastards' looking down their noses at us '56k weenies'. Never once did I play a game where I wasn't chided for my slow connection by LPB's. If only Tribes had launched just 3 years later. The history of FPS's might very well look quite different then.

Well said Prez. Its true. Part of the Tribes community bad press comes from the lpb ownage thing that did occur a lot in the T1 days. With bandwidth as prevelant as it is today that wouldnt be such a big issue. The ownage factor wouldn't be limited to a few lucky broadband users. The game did wield itself too advantageous to folks with uber fast broadband conections which weren't that common in 1999.

With that said, however, Tribes played competitively or even on a pub where a majority of players are experienced and have similiar connectivity is a thing of beauty. The gameplay is just simply unmatched and an addicitive blast. Of course you probaly already know that =).

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 03:06.

72. No subject Feb 20, 2006, 02:04 Beaner

My point is, Tribes was and is a fast paced game. T2 was a mistake; Dave G's failed wet dream

The lowdown. Tribes 2 was a very good succesor, but you must understand the details. TV wasnt even close.

The speed in Tribes 2 was nerfed down, apparently to make the game easier and to bring more of the warfare style of gameplay into the context of the game. A lot of folks that played Tribes 1 and especially folks who played competition were extremely upset with the base speed and physics of the game. The overall game design of Tribes 2 was excellent and a great improvment on Tribes 1, but the speed issue and some of the nasty hardware requirements for the game engine at the time kind of hurt its momentum. Some nasty bugs on release didnt help either. The T2 engine was quite an undertaking for what Dynamix was trying to achieve compared to what was available in 2001.

Later as community mods were made. Mods like T2 base++ and T2 classic brought back the speed and intense gameplay. At the same time, T2 caused somewhat of a rift in the community. Between those that like the larger warfare team based battling and those who enjoyed the fast man on man offensive and defensive gameplay of Trbes 2 classic.

T2 didnt suck it turned into a game that was equivilant if not better than the first. Now Tribes vengeance, that was an aberration of the game. Any new game needs to feed both styles of Tribes players and it can be done as was shown with Tribes 2 classic, Tribes 2 vehicles etc.

With Garage Games (Basically the original Dynamix devs who made T1) this news is exciting and quenching for the many thirsting players that have been in denial and hibernation for the last 7 years.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 02:08.

71. Good Grief Feb 20, 2006, 01:45 Beaner

That about sums it up. Tribes is a niche game. The audience of Tribes 1&2 isn't enough to make it profitable for the publishers out there now. It takes a certain type of gamer to enjoy that type of game and taking it mainstream results in failure, as seen by T:V. The Tribes era is over. It's time to move on.

Oh yee of little faith. You really understand the history fo Tribes eh? You do realize TV isnt even considered worthy of being called Tribes. It was a huge dissapointment and was developed by a good dev company that unfortunately knew hardly anything about Tribes, and they tried to scale the game down and make too many changes. Plus putting it on the Unreal 2 engine was a foolish move. Unreal 2 cant scale for some of the map sizes playable in Tribes and the netcode was horrid. Torques netcode is stellar.

In the day Tribes was one of the top mulitplayer games out. Granted a lot of it was because it was warezed to death. Folks copied the game like crazy.

Back then the big three were Quake, Half Life and Tribes.

The deathmatch Quake folks didnt like Tribes because well, it wasnt Quake and it was foreign. It wasnt the same old deathmatch and it wasnt the same old run strafe runs strafe crouch fight on boxed indoor maps. Tribes was open environements, vehicles, fast intense CTF and so much more.
What many of you see as awe inspiring about games like BF2 or the upcoming Quake Wars.

Quake kept its original developers, Half Life had its original developers, and Tribes got chewed up by the whole Sierra Vivendi crap that started with the breakup of Dynamix. Every time a new game was made, some chucklehead figured they needed to change the game to make it easier for new players. Imagine mr CSS or Quake if they did that to your game franchise.

Many games planned for the future read like the design for Tribes. Sure this is a tech demo. But if Garage Games decided to make a full fledge game, its exciting because for the first time in 7 years and after the embarrasing Tribes Vengeance, and the nerfed release of Tribes 2 a Tribes or Tribes like game may be made by the original developers of Tribes 1 and built on their shiny new massive TSE engine. Plus GG has been forming a strong relationship with Microsoft. Say MS helps to publish the game on the XBOX360 and PC and gives it Halo like marketing? Guess what Halo your stepping down to the number 2 slot. You also must remmeber that the first Halo game was directly going after Tribes popularity and its not even close. The problem is that most of you folks that make the niche market comment obviously never played Tribes much and you need eye candy and some amazing graphics to woo you. Ive seen and own TSE. You folks will be wetting your pants.

And for you Half Life, CSS, Warcraft, Quake folks who always need something visual to judge gameplay for some reason. Heres a snippit of the video that started the rumours. And this is just beta stuff.

http://www.tribalwar.com/~colosus/blog_3.wmv

Now strafe off and prone in your camper position. The rest of us Tribes fans will enjoy our x, y and z axis.
This comment was edited on Feb 20, 02:30.

68. Woohoo Feb 20, 2006, 01:17 Beaner

Garage Games is basically Dynamix. The core founders of Garage Games were the main devs of Tribes 1 and 2 when Dynamix was around. I hoped this day would come. Yes, its just apparently going to be some hot tech demo at GDC, but it will be a playable multiplayer tech demo and its obvious that Garage Games is considering make a full fledge game. Awesome. Fans have known for years how awesome the game engine was for Tribes 1 and 2. How excellent the netcode, how smooth the physics. Now we get this on the new TSE with all the Half Life eye candy you can muster.

You look at Quake Wars or Battfield they are moving in the same direction. Its just funny when they claim how revolutionary their game will be because it has big maps and vehicles. Lol.

Read the spec on Atlas. TSE's terrain engine.
http://www.garagegames.com/blogs/8863/8055

And every other game feels like jaggedy compared to the creamy smootheness of Torque. All the public pics so far havent even hinted at the potential look of the engine. GG is going to shock some peeps in March.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 02:32.

News Comments > etc.
10. offset Feb 13, 2006, 22:20 Beaner

Change of topic. I know some here have never heard of the offset engine, but the way it looks right now its more impressive than Unreal 3.

News Comments > Halo 2 for Windows Vista Planned
133. Re: ... Feb 12, 2006, 09:14 Beaner

Halo seemed derivitive to me... for about 20 minutes. The action component of this now ancient game is more thrilling than any so called A-grade PC fps I've played since, and I've played most. Half Life 2 is the only product to excede it and it's sequel in terms of atmosphere, but in terms of art direction nothing comes close to either game (Which, like WOW, rises above the low texture/polygon counts to create something far more beautiful than the glorified unplayable tech demos on store shelves today.

You do realize most hardcore PC "Mulitplayer" games are judged more by the gameplay than the graphics. Yes great graphics are awesome, but not if the gameplay is somewhat boring or the same. Halo's multiplayer "boxed in" map gameplay is not much different than most any other FPS. Nothing compared to the CTF mulitplayer experience of an old by todays standards game called Tribes. In fact, Halo BF2 etc are games influenced by Tribes. When these games tout the wonders of vehicles in the game, bigger maps, more team on team gameplay I just laugh and think, "hey we were doing that in 1998", and as large a game it was, it was fast and furious.

Claiming Halo is such a groundbreaking game, is like calling Mike Tyson the greatest boxer ever when compared to Muhammad Ali. In other words, Halo being Vista only isnt any big deal.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 09:18.

News Comments > Dear Diaries - Halo 2 PC
26. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 04:54 Beaner

Yeah (Prez) I guess you just cant play until the time comes when you upgrade to Vista. You are not alone. Like many Im not going to update to Vista when its released. I may update after a 2nd or 3rd service pack and if there is some dire reason to update. Yes Vista will have some cool features, but for the most part XP gives me everything I need other than maybe some of the new GUI things in Vista etc. IE7 will be released for XP and other games will run on XP as well. If there is some uber performance difference in games with Vista, well then that will make folks want to upgrade. Most Halo fans will be playing Halo 3 by that time on the XBOX anyways.

Meanwhile all the mulitplayer gaming enthusiasts will be playing real mulitplayer games like Quake Wars, Prey etc on their PC's ;P.

22. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 00:37 Beaner

Is it just me or was that diary entry by Bungie pretentious and arrogant?

Bungie is a dev "company". They are a business just like MS or EA is a business. They have business relationship with Microsoft etc. Just like Dell has a business relationship with Intel, evn though Dell is trying to avoid a quagmmire with Intel because they are losing money not providing PC's with AMD chips.

You'll never hear Dell say: "Intel is being a bit of an ass because they are angry we are evaluating AMD chips in light of our agreements made over the last several years".

Bungie is in the same situation. Its very beneficial to be in good standing with MS if thats your core publisher and importantly, someone providing big advertising dollars to promote your product. At the end of the day you have to feed your family, pay the mortgage etc.

The best thing here is to forget this. Its really not that big a deal. The only folks that will be hurt with this decision are the masses of Halo 2 fans that may have been looking forward to Halo 2 on the PC for the custom mapping, user developed content etc. Those folks are in a world of hurt, and I question these tactics because we all know how stronghanded tactics by publishers have killed a franchise, but hey, as much as some of you hated Steam, it sure as hell didnt kill Half Life 2.

These companies know when they have you hooked on a product, and if the demand is there, they will do what they can get away with. Someday as the industry matures, you'll have the big industry control companies like EA, MS etc, but you'll also see new startups that will make their markwho make and distribute games for game enthusiasts without all the bullcrap. Look what technology and the internet have done to the music industry. All of a sudden the big fat studios that controlled delivery and the crazy markup on music are shaking in their boots because the tables have been turned. All of a sudden the user is in control. It all comes around in cycles.

And for those of you on win 95, 98, ME. Oh my god you really need to upgrade. You do realize they are completely unsupported. Get on the NT kernel or get Linux.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 00:45.

18. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2006, 23:33 Beaner

Quake Wars, a good successor to Tribes etc. Who the hell cares about HALO anyway. A million console fools who think they are on the bleeding edge of multiplayer gaming.

Plus by that time HALO 3 will be out anyway. This is a non-issue.

128. No subject Feb 10, 2006, 20:53 Beaner

PC gaming is likely to become a "niche market"

True. PC gaming will first become recognized as the enthusiasts gaming market, which most publishers dont even recognize yet. They are mostly in the early AOL like stages of gaming. Similiar to the AOL boom of the early 90's.

Eventually the gaming business will mature, and different market dimensions will be recognized. Right now, everything is just mushed together and marketed at consoles.

One the industry matures and discovers itself a bit more a lot will change. Some for the worse some for the better.

There are things that consoles just cannot provide in regards to Mulitplayer Gaming specifically. Granted all the consoles are moving more toward mulitplayer, but as we all know, there is no user custom content, MODS, etc. And the more they try, the more these machines represent a PC.

PC gaming and the games are more sophisticated (and Im not reffering to the graphics), sophisticated in terms of gameplay and the amount of control in the game. MS wants to focus on making PC gaming big again which is something they are touting with Vista, but this probaly isnt the best action to do that.

99. Re: Oh wow! Feb 9, 2006, 22:22 Beaner

Tribes wannabees.

Bring back the King Garage Games.

News Comments > EA versus Ubisoft
30. Re: No subject Feb 2, 2006, 23:17 Beaner

The point is that digital distribution makes it possible for anyone to setup shop with very little cost. Unlike the music industry, we arent talking about songs where big music publishers own the rights to the music. With games its a different beast. If some new young ID software of the future makes their own game, they can distribute it digitally whichever way they want. If you belieive the internet will eventually be controlled by 2 or 3 big entities than thats another story, but I just dont see that happening. No one entity can control the internet at least not now and hopefully never.

Sure EA or Vivendi may have their own large digital distribution, but folks who play games tend to be more technical and aware of alternative offerings. its not like the music industry where you have gobs of AOL or Apple folks that think the only way you can aquire or buy downloadable music is through Itunes. Hollywood and big business are still trying to figure out the game market and they've barely scratched the surface and they are very aloof to the different markets.

Hollywood is really the big idiot here. they are going to lose a lot of money because they just dont get it. You cannot just assume you can make movies based on games (crappy ones at that) or make storyline games with cinematic sequences starring the voices and digital representation of famous actors, Its stupid.

What I hope happens is that some new companies will form founded by game developers or gamers. Garage Games is one of those companies. There will be more. What I cant stand is how slimey these big media conglomerate types are to suck up to tech. All they see is money, they have absolutely no passion for games like they have say for movies or music. To them you'ra all masses of preteen and teenage boys that play things called games and will spend your money freely.
This comment was edited on Feb 2, 23:28.

512 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo