Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaner

Real Name Beaner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Beaner
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 3, 2001, 10:40
Total Comments 512 (Apprentice)
User ID 9214

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Game & Mod Development
18. Re: How groundbreaking! Jun 21, 2006, 23:39 Beaner

Yeah engines like Unreal 3 have royalty free licenses. I guarantee if I make a game even with some free offering of Unreal 3 engine, the minute I take it to market and sell my game that will be six figures plus you'll owe to Epic. Same goes for source, Doom 3...
This comment was edited on Jun 21, 23:47.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Torque is good stuff Jun 21, 2006, 23:30 Beaner

Riley two of my comments are debatable and you are right, we cant really know how well TSE will scale perorm with more graphical goodness. But TSE is a completely new engine. Yes some elements of TSE are carried over from TGE but a lot, especially the terrain engine Atlas is a complete rewrite.

From Ben Garney direct: "This terrain engine (Atlas) is a complete rewrite. It supports VERY LARGE areas that contain unique geometry and texture data."
http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&mod=resource&page=view&qid=8055

And who is to say TSE will be out of date by the time Vista and direct x are released? In fact, Garage Games has been working very closely with Microsoft. I think TSE is taking awhile because GG isnt some company made up of hundreds of programmers burning the midnight oil to make the engine and I think they will have some suprises in store when TSE is completed, including the possibility which hasnt been confirmed OR denied by GG that they may work on a full Tribes like game on TSE.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 23:36.

14. Re: Torque is good stuff Jun 21, 2006, 22:16 Beaner

Garage Games charges too much for commercial licenses of the engine given its age and features, and it wants way too much for its hardware shader add-on (TSE) which isn't even in release state yet after two years or more of development.

Are you kidding? First of all TSE is not an add-on for Torque. Torque or TGE is the older engine that was a bit enhanced and resold to indies. It was based on the engine that was developed for Tribes 2 when many of the crew from Garage Games were part of Dynamics before Sierra/Vivendi split em all up. Yes there are new add-ons for TGE the older torque engine like lighting packs and such but this has nothing to do with TSE being an add-on.

Torque TGE is the older engine. Game Builder is for those who want a great environement to develop games on their 2D engine for the most part and it rocks.

Torque Shader Engine TSE is a completely newly rebuilt engine that will be on par with engines like Unreal 3 for a fraction of the cost. It may not support every little useless graphical goody but it will up the ante for the graphical ability of torque and do one thing no other game engine is capable of doing very well. Scale to immensive sized "fully immersive" maps. You hear ID speak so highly of megatexture and so forth. TSE has the atlas engine and there is a reason NASA is using it for a full scale environement mapping of Mars. I kid you not. Also one of Torques greates feature is it network code for multiplay which is used a lot in other games with other engines. It wasnt unusual to see Tribes servers with 64 players. no chop. Lastly TSE will be easily compatible with TGE for those who want to migrate their games from TGE to TSE.

One example of an indie dev company working on games with Torque Shader engine which isnt even complete yet.
http://www.ion-productions.com/index1.html

Go Garage Games. And oh please GG bring back Tribes on TSE the right way. How can you let all the copycats (cough Halo cough..) take credit for so many of the innovations you brought with Tribes.
This comment was edited on Jun 21, 22:36.

News Comments > Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Preorder Plans
95. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2006, 22:20 Beaner

The game looks great, and I'm definitely going to buy it. But when you watch the videos, it reminds me a lot of Battlefield

The UI in Quake Wars looks a lot cleaner. Simple and clean. Plus we can all hope that the netcode and multiplayer apsects of the game will be far smoother and less bug laden as BF2. Game looks really good. But as a typical Tribes fan I have to ask, Can I climb up and over that hill next to the water tank? Can my team of buddies Flank the enemy from the mountain hillside afar or will we be held back by invisible hard boundries? Hmmm. We'll see.

Only this and Crysis actually look appealing thus far.
This comment was edited on Jun 19, 22:23.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
3. Re: No subject Jun 14, 2006, 22:26 Beaner

I will be one of the very few who will actually say he wont buy BF2142 and actually not buy the game.

The only game I may buy is Quake Wars, Crysis and for gods sake if ever someone made a good successor to the grand foopah of all these large scale war games ...Goood all Tribes.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. re:Windows Vista Beta 2 Sucks. May 25, 2006, 00:00 Beaner

Lol Gizmodo is run by MAC fanatics. What elese would you expect. I will say MS did take the widgets think directly from OSX. I care more about the kernel changes in Vista which takes a back seat to all the visual stuff that too many pay attention too, although the layered 3d windows is damn cool.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Google May 24, 2006, 03:04 Beaner

Their search engine alone is still a favorite because its uncluttered and still fast and accurate without all the ad crap. But yes their other services are pretty bland. The only other realy cool thing they brought about was the new mapping/directions interface which is cool and of courde everyone is copying. Their web based email and calendaring, however takes a backseat to Yahoo.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Google May 23, 2006, 02:03 Beaner

Bland was cool for the search interface, uncluttered clean etc. But in may ways, some of Googles other services like Google calendar or even Google mail seem a bit amateurish compared to Yahoo's new email and calendar in beta. There are many things Yahoo does better regardless of the Google hype. You cant get by by making everything look like a simple home made blog interface.

This comment was edited on May 23, 02:04.

News Comments > The Late Show
3. Unreal charater movement skittish May 19, 2006, 03:34 Beaner

I know this is probaly nitpicking, but it I never liked Unreal engines because the character movement is very skittish. Like Benny Hill on fast forward and everyhting else around is normal.

Unreal 3 looks good, but in traditional form, it carries along with it the trademark skittish Unreal player movement and Im noticing it in other Unreal games (Gears of War).

News Comments > The Early Show
10. No subject May 18, 2006, 04:21 Beaner

Jesus Crysis looks to be one hell of a game. If the crytek network code is improved for multiplay..wow.

1. No subject May 18, 2006, 04:13 Beaner

woops wrong thread.

This comment was edited on May 18, 04:17.

2. Re: Vista May 10, 2006, 06:14 Beaner

You know in all honesty, what MS is trying to achieve with Vista is very complicated. And you know what, jut like C# and Win xp (merging 98 usability with the stable nt kernel) they will eventually succeed regardless of some that just love to hate MS because they are MS.

Its quite ironic. Folks want uber usability but they complain about security. You add in extensive security and it will impact usability. I'd like to see Linux achieve this uber matchup and dont tell me linux in its curent state is easy from the get go. Its not. Tell joe average business user to use linux and let them install stuff on their linux machine. Lol love to see where that gets them.

Apple OSX, good usability, best UI no focus on security and dont even try and mention networking. OSX is not catered well to business users in a network environment.

So now you have vista attempting to offer almost BSD type of security in a plug and play user friendly windows OS. Makes Unix suddenly seem amateurish in terms of its complexity.

The main mistake MS made was making a promise trying to deliver somwthing so complex too early and then announcing delays.

Im not an MS fanboi,but I know half of the folks that say I wont buy Vista will have it running on a machine or attempting too crack it to run within a month or so after its release. I mean thats what folks said about windows 2000.

This comment was edited on May 10, 06:20.

News Comments > BF2 Community Update
16. Re: Major problem? May 10, 2006, 05:42 Beaner

The problem I do have is with any Dev CONSTANTLY redesigning gameplay on the fly. Novalogic does this too. And I hate it. Just build the freaking thing. Then step away and leave the players to the game..... and STFU unless they got an update patch

Amen to that. What happened to the good old days when a dev made a great game, released patches that just fixed bugs and offered information so users can customize (MOD) things to their liking. CHanging the damn gameplay in a "forced" way sucks. Its going to be intersting to compare how Splash Damage and ID deal with Quake Wars versus how DICE has dealt with BF2. I know splash damage is making Quake Wars but Im sure ID and carmack will be involved. None of this DICE bullshit and none of this constant "softening of the gameplay" because new or inept players cant have fun. If that the case, create a "newbie friendly" gametype with all the constant changes and leave the core game for the experienced players. Quake Wars Quake Wars...

This comment was edited on May 10, 05:48.

News Comments > Microsoft Acquires Massive Inc.
1. And arent you all excited May 5, 2006, 00:16 Beaner

spam in your mailbox, spam in your email and now more crud in your game. Excitement

News Comments > Evening Q&As
5. Re: ... May 1, 2006, 22:07 Beaner

Quake Wars should be fun and finally..finally bringing other Quakesque FPS shooters into immersive outdoor environments.

This mega texture will open up playgrounds big enough for 128 players in 2 years.

Now you know what Tribes fans have been yapping about for years. They've been playing open immersive maps and on this scale since 2001. T2 servers running 64 players and maps with no boundries.

5. Re: Vista criticism Apr 21, 2006, 05:10 Beaner

Pretty sad when a Microsoft fanboi criticizes the upcoming OS and basically admits that all the promised new features that *will* make it into the final shipping version are knock offs of Mac OS-X.

At least MS fanbois as you call them can admit to the wrongs or failings of things MS, unlke Apple fanbois. I mean Apple has made many errors but would Apple folks admit to them? No. Apple users are some of the most ignorant computer users around.

At least Linux users can understand that its not the glossy GUI OSX stuff in Vista thats important, but the deeper system features that will be missed like WinFS, but hey we wouldnt expect Apple users to understand that. I mean Apple only recently introduced TCP/IP and real networking features to the Apple computer within the last couple of years with OSX. What took so long?

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 05:18.

News Comments > The Early Show
8. No subject Mar 27, 2006, 23:25 Beaner

Crytek was a great looking engine in FarCry, but this is jaw dropping.

If they have improved the netcode (Im more in to multiplay) this engine will rock. Usually these uber perty engines have cruddy multiplayer (Half-Life 2 was abit of an exception)

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Update
14. Re: ... Mar 21, 2006, 23:32 Beaner

Ehh poop. Come on GG wheres our Legions (Ahem Tribes 4) all these buggy crap physics warfare fps games are boring meh.

News Comments > THQ Gets Unreal
28. No subject Mar 20, 2006, 03:36 Beaner

Its amazing what some companies will pay to license the Unreal 3 engine. All Ive seen is that it can be made to look pretty, specifically for 3rd person console types of games. What I want to know, are the engine physics better than the choppy stutter physics in the earlier Unreal engines, will the netcode be good, and will the maps actually scale for large mulitplayer action for an FPS or FPS MPOORG ala Quake Wars, BF2 or Tribes.

There are a lot of engines that can be made to look just as good as the Unreal 3 engine. The question about the physics and multiplyer ability of the game still remain. Engines like the Torque Shader Engine have proven netcode,roven ability to scale large maps with lots of players with the added touch of the pretty factor. And it will be available in hand to try out sometime in the next week or so for free.

I also have faith in the revised Doom 3 engine for Quake Wars. You know the Multiplayer piece will be smooth. Not that I dont like eye candy but damn lets bring back the gameplay.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 03:39.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Firefox 2.0 Mar 20, 2006, 03:25 Beaner

so does FF 2.0 actualy fix the memory leak and cpu issues? A bit ironic when you claim how much better you are than IE which isnt really reality.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 03:26.

512 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo