Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaner

Real Name Beaner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Beaner
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 3, 2001, 10:40
Total Comments 512 (Apprentice)
User ID 9214

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Gets Unreal
56. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2006, 13:47 Beaner

Im more impressed by the Crytek engine and Project Offset. Then again this is for consoles.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BF2142 Closed Beta
24. Re: Any comments? Aug 19, 2006, 02:06 Beaner

Quake Wars

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Combat Announced
5. No subject Aug 8, 2006, 21:57 Beaner

Sierra learning from past mistakes and fortunes. Lets hope they dont bungle up another franchise with potential.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: AOL founder Jul 25, 2006, 03:44 Beaner

Too funny. I think we all knew AOL was doomed, but Execs at Time Warner along with every other suit in the business world at the time thought AOL was the internet. haha.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 03:45.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Beta Patch
9. No subject Jul 15, 2006, 04:19 Beaner

Quake Wars. Did I mention Quake Wars?

News Comments > ET: Quake Wars Delay
71. Re: For now: Jul 14, 2006, 05:24 Beaner

The fact people still claim that makes me laugh. I tried that game out way back when on a friend's recomendation "Oh yeah! This is so realistic!"

No....

Its fun as hell but yes, its not a a realistic wargame. If you think about it, super realistic war games like flight simulators can be quite boring (for some). Tribes is still unique even today, but it has a lot of wargame style battle elements. I think that why some compare it to real war games. Plus theres two types of play. Folks who play it in a more warfare strageic style with vehicles etc. Then there is the hardcore lot that play a more esport style with jet skiing and routes. Its gameplay that can be intimidating to those not familiar with it, but if you get it, nothing will ever compare in your mulitplayer gaming life (non realistic FPS wise). The jetpack was such a brilliant concept to deal with making a faster playing FPS fun even on large maps. You know other franchises want to, but havent gone the jetpack route because you know there will be instant Tribes comparisons. Although I think Quake Wars will have a type of jetpack but I could be wrong.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 05:36.

News Comments > War Rock Beta Tomorrow
8. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2006, 05:14 Beaner

Just out of a sense of misplaced curiousity, why is this labeled massively multiplayer? If you check out the maps page, you see a lot of 16 player maps, 24 player maps, 36 player maps... not much more. Oh, and mostly deathmatch. Blah.

I was wondering the same thing lol. What some consider massive is if they have outdoor maps. whoopee doo, outdoor maps and I still bang into a wall at the edge of the river.

News Comments > War Rock Beta Tomorrow
4. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2006, 01:56 Beaner

what engine does this game use anyone know? Looks like an Unreal tourney 2004 clone that looks like BF2

69. Re: For now: Jul 12, 2006, 23:07 Beaner

Why do some of you think Tribes plays like a realistic wargame? I mean it has elements that these new games are touting with big maps, vehicles and such, but Tribes, as great as it is, isnt what I would call a realistic warfare style game. The gameplay does kick ass though. If you think its a realistic game you havent played classic style with jump sking, routes etc. It plays insanely fast.

I would consider a great contender for a realistic warfare game is the new Armed Assault. You war game lovers should spew on this one it looks amazing.
This comment was edited on Jul 12, 23:09.

65. Re: wha Jul 12, 2006, 07:39 Beaner

One of the largest development challenges we're facing (and an extremely important issue to those of us that are ex-clan players) is the balancing.

Got to love hearing that. These guys arent just developers for hire but gamers from the golden days of quake, ET etc.

Something that plagues too many games today, especially the multiplayer aspects of the game is the low focus on the quality of gameplay and balancing. Most of these business folks or devs for hire at EA and such dont think about these things. On top of that, the budget pressures dont allow for time to really put forth the proper effort for all the things that make the "mulitplayer" aspect of the game great. Those idiots do more stupid things like spending a portion of the budget to hire Samuel Jackson to do voice overs etc.

So many of these B grade games are more about making shiny graphics, watering things down for the console market and such. Someday they'll learn the bigger market of the enthusiast PC mulitplayer gamer. Most of us are older now and unlike the kids playing XBOX and such we can at times afford all the latest hardware and gadgets. Well if our wives or girlfriends will let us =P! We love the game in some ways more for the mulitplay than the singleplayer game.

I cant wait for this game.

===================================

i will sit here patiently and wait for someone to tell me the next FPS out soon that will get me excited again.

this the first time since i started PC gaming that there isn't an FPS out i want to play.
dating back to 1994.

Hehe I know the feeling. With all the graphic breakthroughs there hasnt been anything that exciting in awhile. BF2 was ok but the bug isues and patches made it a pain. Prey seems to be ok for the singleplayer about it.

Still some of the standard greats stick even today with dated graphics.

Quake 1, 2 and yes 3 and 4.
ET
Tribes 1, 2
CS although CS is getting to be a bore
Unreal Tourney (just because 2004 was ok)

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 07:52.

News Comments > Evening Previews
3. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2006, 23:05 Beaner

Damn the only game Im looking forward to next to Crysis is Quake Wars. And Im not waiting on Crysis for the mulitplayer =(. More value out of a game with good multiplayer. Oh well I have confidence in Splash Damage and ID.

News Comments > Monday Tech Bits
8. Re: Blue Ray vs HD-DVD Jul 4, 2006, 03:29 Beaner

Im not sure what to think in regards to the HD-DVD BLU_RAY thing. Its still so very early to know the pros and cons. HD-DVD does seem to have an advantage right now because obviously it costs less and yet the image quality seems on par or better than BLU-RAY.

What really strange though, is that Apple is backing BLU-RAY and usually Apple is very picky about choosing the best optimal platforms for visual media. Actually a lot of the Hollywood studio folks, HP etc back BLU-RAY.

HD-DVD has Toshiba, Microsoft and Universal Studios. Wow can this be another win for Microsoft? Jesus Microsoft hardly ever loses anything.

News Comments > BF2142: "A lot less buggy than Battlefield 2"
51. Re: Jul 2, 2006, 06:56 Beaner

Do not turn this wonder full series into the crap Unreal Tournament series. Tribes 1 and 2 were slower paced, BF1942 and BF2 are the right speed.

Tribes Vengeance was crap. Not because of speed, but that fact that they changed so much about the game, they completely changed jump skiing to some kind of crappy snow skiing and they made the bad choice of making it on the Unreal 2 engine ugh. They watered it down to a console type of game. Not worhty of the Tribes name one bit. If you knew anything about Tribes, you would know there are two styles of gameplay. The more warfare style that played at a similair pace as BF but faster with jetpacks and all. Battlefield plays way slower than Tribes. Then there was Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 classic style of playing that was intensly fast in an almost sporty kind of way. Nothing compares in that style. Nothing.

Now if realistic warfare gameplay is what you are looking for BF2 was still a console game compared to the earlier mentioned Operation flashpoint. Their new game Armour assualt operation flashpoint looks to be amazing. Check out the video at the link below.

Now this is a realistic wargame.
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=60;t=52509

For those of us who want fast gameplay on a tatcical level their will be Quake Wars and it looks scrumptious.
This comment was edited on Jul 2, 07:04.

News Comments > BF2142: "A lot less buggy than Battlefield 2"
14. poohoo Jun 30, 2006, 22:18 Beaner

Poohoo on Battlefield. You had your moment. Bring on ET Quake Wars. And godamnit GG bring back a good Tribes game. Good ID'esqe mulitplayer netcode and Tribes multiplayer netcode. Say no to choppiness and bugs galore.

Oh did I mention Quake Wars!

By the way, I know some of you prefer the slower more realistic style of real warfare. I think Dice knows that many enjoy something thats a bit of a mix that plays faster and hence the mentioned fatser gameplay.

If you are a WW buff with realism in your heart the new operation flashpoint looks to be awesome. Check out the preview. Granted the game is still a year or so away but wow. Also its the engine the army uses for simulation training. No closed of maps here and the scale is magnificent.
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=60;t=52509

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 22:30.

News Comments > Game & Mod Development
51. Re: The real dumbass is you. Jun 26, 2006, 06:48 Beaner

so go make your uber game with Ogre 3d. We'll be waiting on a Duke Nukem time scale. Why are you so emotional over GG pricing with all these other supposed better, cheaper engines on the market?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2006, 05:25 Beaner

Because like your buddies and your disgruntled University proffesors that worked in the industry during the 70's, its cool for you to hate Microsoft.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 05:26.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Firefox ouch Jun 24, 2006, 01:22 Beaner

Firefox is good but its not as secure and great as everyone makes it out to be. Also its rendering engine is slow. Yes its more WC3 compliant than IE but it is slower. Safari 2.0 on Tiger is actually faster than both IE and Firefox and I beleive Safari is more WC3 compliant than FF.

I just dont jump on bandwagons. I judge on fact.

39. Re: Torque is good stuff Jun 23, 2006, 06:25 Beaner

Riley do you realize how much time it would take to build in everything needed to make a game built, especially a networked game "using ogre 3d".

TGE and TSE will have thse feature complete. Also, one thing I will agree on is that Torque (TGE) graphics can look old and dated. One thing Garage Games hasnt done well is promote the "graphical abilities" of their engines through pics, demo's etc which is what gets the wow factor from the regular joe. They usually emphasis the tech because thats what developers are interested in.

With TSE and their new slate of products Im sure that is going to change. Because some need pretty pictures to be convinced, Im sure GG will be putting out some amazing looking demo's and pics in the future. Im already impressed with some of the current dev projects using the current version of TSE.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 06:27.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Firefox ouch Jun 23, 2006, 04:14 Beaner

Ouch to firefox. As they say, the more the user base, the more then vulnerabilities. So Much for the more secure mantra which was always based more on hype and bandwagoning anyways.

21. Re: Torque is good stuff Jun 21, 2006, 23:56 Beaner

TSE commercial early developer license is about a $1,000 When the full complete version is released you will not need to pay a dime for it.

$1,000 sounds like a lot to a kid working at AppleBees with dreams of building games. For a veteran developer thats chump change compared to the cost of a commercial developer license for other engines. Plus TSE is not finished so none of us know what the full feature set will be. Plus unlike some of the freebie engines, GG offers the great support and community along with many development packs, add-ons ect being offered by third parties.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 00:00.

512 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo