Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaner

Real Name Beaner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Beaner
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 3, 2001, 10:40
Total Comments 512 (Apprentice)
User ID 9214

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Enemy Territory Quake Wars Delayed, Maybe
49. Tribes..are we talking Tribes again Jan 27, 2007, 04:58 Beaner

I so dearly loved Tribes and Tribes 2. There are a so many run strafe shooters on the market and yet even today nothing compares to good ol Tribes gameplay. Tribes is the only fps that has the combined gameplay of a tactical team based warfare game and a fast grab and chase twitch fps all in one. Thats why it throws off new players.

Tactical folks get into a game walk over to deploy something and grab a vehicle to fly somewhere, before they know it, some capper comes flying in matrix style with a flag grab on a route and its all a blur. He's thinking wtf, As he watches defensive chasers responding to the chase at blistering speed...300 Spartan style.

Then the new twitch guy joins the game and every vet can spot him a mile away as he runs up, starts strafing left and right firing, one defender hits him with a laser rifle as another defender comes flying from above with a disc and mine shot to the head...The twitch guy re-spawns and goes wtf! What happened?

X,Y and Z baby! Jump skiing, carving, HO runs, shrike ram woot. Lots of closet Tribes players would come out from hiding with a proper successor.

I look forward to Quake Wars, but when they talk about forcing more linear gameplay and such I kind of worry. But I trust Splash Damage, afterall, some of them were avid Tribes fans as well.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 05:37.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Patch
36. Re: No subject Dec 20, 2006, 23:48 Beaner

I dont think the developers' products are getting worse with every new game released. its just that gamers' expectations are getting higher with every game generation

Good point. It is actually very tough to make a good game these days. My only issue is when a franchise has a successful game, and they screw it up with successors because they think they must thinktank the game to death and change everything that was fun and great about the original. Who drinks New Coke? Nobody.

Also, there is a tendency to push the eye candy factor so much (for the casual console crowd) that it actually degrades gameplay.
This comment was edited on Dec 20, 23:49.

32. Re: ... Dec 19, 2006, 23:50 Beaner

BF2, Halo etc etc where the roots were drawn.

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8357048#post8357048

BF2 and others arent exactly like Tribes, its just that so much of what exists in these games were originally brought to the mulitplayer gaming world through many of the great gameplay ideas in Tribes. And even with that, what many dont get is that Tribes gameplay is so damn unique because of the physics of motion, the speed of play on vast maps, and the great unintended discovery of Tribes jump skiing and capping routes. Nothing compares even today. Its not the typical guy walking around with a machine gun or sniper rifle trying to trigger capture points etc or simply overtake a base. There is soo much more.

I would say things like BF2142 Titan mode would remind one a bit of Tribes and the vast floating bases.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 00:00.

News Comments > On Games for Windows
43. PC MP Gaming > All Dec 19, 2006, 23:10 Beaner

Hell yes bring back PC gaming. When it comes to networked, multiplayer games, PC games rule. If you look at the xbox360, Ps3 etc they are really just little PC's that now come with networkable games, but no mods and no free internet community.

And yes what Jerykk said about Tribes Vengeance is a classic example of how the industry changes a game to make it conform to console style of play. There are many of us that like well made sophisticated multiplayer games. Then there are the many minions who just want to play table tennis on their playstation. The game industry has totally forgotten about the enthusiast PC gaming market. Hey most of us have the money and dole it out on quality.

Consoles have their place and will thrive, but their will always be a hardcore enthusiast PC gaming market. On top of that, consoles are prettty limited. They are great for single player path scripted games, sports games etc, but for big, immersive, FPS multiplayer gaming with 32+ players consoles just aren't there yet. Plus how do you play mods on a console. How do you create user made content, maps etc on a console?

Hate to say it, but in usual fashion, MS is just always one step ahead of the other guy. They know their is a large PC gaming enthusiast market. And by God, MS give them the option to use a joystick, but never take away my option to use the great keyboard and mouse.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 23:35.

30. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2006, 23:00 Beaner

This is like Tribes 2 all over again. Give it time, Tribes 2 became a great game, even better in some ways than the original Tribes. The only bad is that by the time all was fixed and refined it was too late and most of the Tribes fanbase moved on. Which by the way is still waiting for a proper succesor to one of the best Multiplayer FPS games ever made. It still matches or exceeds the fun factor in all the fancy eye candy games out today.

News Comments > BF2142 Update
44. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2006, 04:45 Beaner

God no...something new, please. It was a good game, but jeez, the franchise has been dead for years, no real point in reviving it.

You mean something new like the same old war game? Do you think BF2142 is new? That is Tribes it just needs to be rediscovered because there still is nothing like the physics gameplay in Tribes interwoven with team warfare.

News Comments > BF2142 Update
42. No subject Oct 31, 2006, 05:55 Beaner

See Garage Games, we need a real successor to Tribes on your shiny new engine. All the Halo, BF2, Tribes Vengeance crud is getting annoying. The more they imitate the more we feel the pain.

109. Re: No subject Oct 20, 2006, 03:49 Beaner

take my comments with a grain of salt. But I have to say, there seems more and more every day, that there's a disconnect between the more hardcore gamers like most on these forums, and the average "joe-casual" gamer. Moreover, I have begun to believe that to publishers and developers, the opinions of the hardcore gamers who post on sites like this one are irrelevant. We are no longer the market. EA is no longer selling games to us - it's selling games to less critical, less scrupulous, less angry versions of us.

Prez you and I are having a mind meld. I agree with what you said 100%. Basically the game publishers seem to have a very limited definition of their market. For quite some time now, I've been mentioning in various threads that the game publishers don't understand their market. More specifically, as you said, they don't get the enthusiast gamer market. They think they do, but its on a very limited level.

It seems like everything they do is catered to the casual game player and the console market. Thats somewhat understandable because there is a huge untapped market of potential players and they are an easier sell. We are the tough audience, they probably would rather ignore us more than anything else. I hope and believe that some smart group in the industry will break away from being the standard old game publisher and be the more upscale publisher for enthusiast titles. Sort of like a George Lucas splitting away from the major movie studios. I'm positive this will happen someday, and when it does, publishers like EA and Vivendi will be drooling at the mouth to buy them up in Googlesque fashion. I would rather they deny them in a CraigsList sort of manner.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Personal Data Clarification
172. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2006, 22:03 Beaner

i remember when" *creak* Public TV (PBS) was ad-free too

At least when PBS did it, it was so discreet as to not be annoying.

News Comments > BF2142 Conflict
16. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2006, 22:01 Beaner

Wow This game actually makes people side with Microsoft. Lol.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 2142
79. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2006, 02:10 Beaner

The rumours about a Garage Games making a true successor to Tribes revolves around Legions, but honestly Legions will just be a little tech demo to showcase their new game engine. I wish it was more, but thats pretty much what has been stated. Plus Legions would not be Tribes since Garage Games does not own the rights to the Tribes franchise. It Sucks, especially when all of a sudden the whole teamwarfare, bigger maps, vehicle thing is suddenly becoming popular with evrything from BF2, Halo and now even Quake. I get tired of reading previews of these games with words like innovative and new.

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 02:12.

104. No subject Oct 18, 2006, 01:48 Beaner

I wonder how many naysayers will secretly buy the game. I bet a lot..suckers. You feed the flame. You hate ads and things like steam, you either stop buying these big publisher games or accept it. Most will just accept for the quick fix and publishers like EA, Vivendi etc know that.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 2142
75. No subject Oct 17, 2006, 22:15 Beaner

Pooh on all this copy cat, spyware, Ad strewn glorified buggy mod sold as a new game crap.

I await Quake Wars and by God bring back the greatness that was Tribes. Just keep Vivendi software as far away from it that you can.

News Comments > DANCE Announced
40. Re: Deve. I'm afraid I can't do that. Oct 16, 2006, 08:08 Beaner

Actually this is a brilliant idea for a mulitplayer game that will attract buyers that usually dont play video games.

Most casual gamers arent hardcore, they like things like the sims, rollercoaster tycoon etc.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 08:09.

News Comments > BF2142 Beta Concludes
19. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 05:19 Beaner

The best game I have ever played and enjoyed for at least 4 to 5 years was Tribes 2

Oh hell yes, I hear you on that. I will interject however for the old school Tribes Players. I'd say Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 because your statement applies to a larger audience of players that loved either T1,T2 or both.

Will admit though, Tribes 2 went through the same growing pains that BF2 is going through right now. When it first came out Tribes 2 really upset a lot of folks due to physics changes in the game, bugs and harware issues. Later MODs and patches fixed that but it did hurt the momentum of T2. It could of been a bigger success commercially if not for those blunders. The bigger thorn was the release of Tribes Vengeance, oh my god what an embarrassment.

Its so godamn sad how Vivendi has killed this franchise. It was the precursor to BF2, Halo, Quake Wars etc. Such an innovative game and the gameplay is still such a blast even with dated graphics. Some of the Splash Damage devs are admitted fans of the game as well so evnetually you may see a Tribes mod on Quake Wars but it still probaly wont be the same. They dont get it when we joke about ground huggers =)
This comment was edited on Sep 16, 05:30.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Greed is good Muahahahah Sep 9, 2006, 19:43 Beaner

And for the sake of public image which new charity foundation will the NFL donate this year.

Oh NFL.

Of course they pimp it overseas because they want to expand into that market. The NFL can only dream of the viewing numbers achieved by the Soccer world worldwide.

Why offer cheap methods of viewing to the masses of US customers who actually "want" such a service. They want more blackout control than that.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. No subject Sep 4, 2006, 07:18 Beaner

Biggest complaint is that the Titan has no automated defenses like Tribes Bases.

Tribes, Tribes 2 are awesome...and even after all these years with dated graphics still awesome. Truly ahead of its time.

The good thing is that some of the Splash Damage crew were not only Quake modders and gamers but avid Tribes fans as well. Quake Wars should hopefully save us all from glitchy network code and stuttering physics.

Although eventually Id like to see a truly good successor to Tribes not that Tribes Venegance crap.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 07:24.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Demo Plans
19. No subject Aug 31, 2006, 00:31 Beaner

Although I agree with many of the negative comments toward BF2 anything, the fact is, when the shiny new boxes appear on the shelf for 2142 a lot of you naysayers will plunk down the cash and buy it.

News Comments > EA and Crytek?
49. No subject Aug 28, 2006, 05:31 Beaner

Damnit another beautiful thing gets sucked up by EA. Ugh. Hate to say this, but Id almost rather Microsoft bought them over EA or Vivendi.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Denny Crane Aug 21, 2006, 04:02 Beaner

Yes Blue Denny Crane rocks.. One of the best TV characters out there.

512 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo