Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaner

Real Name Beaner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Beaner
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 3, 2001, 10:40
Total Comments 512 (Apprentice)
User ID 9214

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: A bit o' common sense Jun 4, 2007, 06:57 Beaner

When people discovered the internet and browser they slowly realized that AOL wasn't really th internet.

Now Microsoft is pushing gaming into the AOLesqu landscape. Actually all of the game consoles with their proprietary online game networks. The internet is the network, your lan is the network. I dont hate the tech MS is pouring into gaming on windows and Im sure directx 10 will migrate to other OS. What peeves me are all these proprietary networks and the nickel and diming that will ensue.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Team Fortress 2 Animation
4. No subject May 14, 2007, 22:30 Beaner

Actually looking forward to this one lol. Thats great gimmick or not.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 Website
27. Re: UT 3 May 7, 2007, 22:51 Beaner

I'm always amazed years after its release, a fanbase bit more grown up and still many fans yearning for a Tribes revival.

News Comments > Van Buren (Ex-Fallout 3) Tech Demo
26. Re: No subject May 3, 2007, 02:34 Beaner

Most games now are made for mass appeal, not necessarily gamer appeal. I'm sure some studio's will eventually market to more enthusiast gamers.

News Comments > Colony Studios Formed, MMO Planned
8. Re: No subject May 1, 2007, 04:14 Beaner

Well in PC world online gaming isnt new, just the term MMO gets thrown around as much as the term web 2.0. It means different things to different people. Bigger worlds, persistent worlds and so forth. Is it an RPG is it an FPS who knows they just say MMO.

This comment was edited on May 1, 04:16.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Patch
37. Re: No subject May 1, 2007, 03:34 Beaner

Tribes and yes even Tribes 2 were true bliss. So ahead of its time and the gameplay is still kickass. Once you get it and understand the dynamics of movment in Tribes everything else gets boring really fast. Tribes had the large immersive maps back in the 90's, it had vehicles, it had bases, depoyables the works. So many things claimed as new in other games these days.

I do look forward to Quake Wars, but I do believe the forced objective thing could be a good OR bad thing. Tribes was about you choosing your own custom loadouts, multitasking. Changing roles on the fly if you wanted. It didnt try to force you on some specific objective. I'll have to see how Quake War plays to make that judgement.

In Tribes, One moment you jump on defense to assist your team being attacked, then you're on a HO run to take down the base and minutes later back up in a light attempting a flag grab. All individual decsions. So cool.

I'm not gonna harp on BF2 because its not a bad game. Pretty good in its own right, but nothing has the movment dymanics of Tribes jump skiing and jetting. Thats what I miss in all these other FPS games. Granted if you want to make somethign a reliastic world war game then its understandable.
This comment was edited on May 1, 03:54.

News Comments > Blizzard's Next-Gen MMO?
57. No subject May 1, 2007, 03:04 Beaner

Jerykk Id admit that I understand what you are trying to say because you and I have similiar tastes. We like intense skill based fps games like Tribes. But at the same time a lot of this discussion is subjective. I get bored playing Wow after awhile, but that doesnt mean its not a good game. Its just a bit boring for some of us. Popular games arent going to be difficult to jump into and play. Thats Wow. But it is difficult to build yourself up in Wow and not die. Its like Civilization. You have to spend an enormous amount of time building up resources. Thats the difficult aspect of a game like Wow, but at the same time some beginner can go in and just rummage around, kill a bear or something and not get killed every 5 seconds. Many hardcore fps games like Tribes are not fun for new players if they get killed every time they respawn. What we need are some studios that have the balls to focus on enthusiast FPS competion style of play. SplashDamage seems to be doing that with Quake Wars and from the MMO crowd you seriously should keep your eye on Red5. I don't have a problem with MMO's, I just dont want an MMORPG, I want an intensive MMOFPS that isnt necessarily watered down. To make it fun for new player you provide for defensive elements like turrets , weapons, vehicles, offensive weapons and all to help counter others that are far more experienced. The only problem with a lot of these new games is that many hardcore gamers will want to run their own server so they can cater it to their playing style or competition needs.

Be happy, the gaming world is just now discovering network multiplay versus just single player games. Gameplay like Tribes will become more popular, they just intend to put them in bigger worlds and support a lot more players. Granted nothing yet can compare to Tribes jetting and jump skiing. Thats a whole aspect of Tribes gameplay that is still unique and which most gamers including FPS gamers dont understand. Some of the guys at SplashDamage are old Tribes fans and thus they have thrown in some Tribesque stuff like the Icarus. Halo 3 addresses traversing large terrain on foot with the man cannon and Battlefield 2 with the pods.
This comment was edited on May 1, 03:26.

News Comments > Colony Studios Formed, MMO Planned
5. Re: No subject May 1, 2007, 02:48 Beaner

This whole we are forming an MMO studio seems popular these days. Personally I cant stand MMORPG games. I mean they are ok, but I'd rather see an MMOFPS if its anything MMO.
This comment was edited on May 1, 04:17.

News Comments > Blizzard's Next-Gen MMO?
26. Re: no Bill Roper Apr 27, 2007, 23:29 Beaner

I'm more interested in what Red 5 is working on. They are some of the devs from Blizzard and some other greats from the gaming world.
http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2007/041907_red5_1.x

My real attraction is that they hired Scott Youngblood co creator of Tribes. And for those who mentioned Planetside, Halo or any of thos games, its all bred from Tribes. Tribes was ahead of its time, now all the gaming world is doing the Tribes thing. The Godfather needs to come back and in an indirect way I think Red 5 might do it some justice.

From the man. So if you loved Tribes send him beer.
http://www.tribalwar.com/news/4667-Tribes-designer-Scott-Youngblood-joins-Red.html#post11388881
This comment was edited on Apr 27, 23:49.

News Comments > TF2 Cross-platform Details
11. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2007, 21:58 Beaner

PC verus XBOX gameplay oh my god this will be glorious slaughter. PC gamers refrain.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Oh how the great have fallen Apr 11, 2007, 06:04 Beaner

red5 isnt nessecarily making an mmo. The offset engine looks amazing, its built for large immmersive maps and fps. They may not be making Tribes =( but it doesnt mean thye are working on an mmo either. Publishers may not get the merit of Tribes, but other devs sure do.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 06:05.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Optimus Mar 15, 2007, 04:17 Beaner

I agree. The keyboard is a joke. You want a solid no hype keyboard?

Go to http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/cid_index.htm

Cherry keyboards are all quality no hype and plastic keys with app icons on them.

News Comments > Halo 2 & PC Live in May
64. Re: Back on Track Mar 15, 2007, 04:11 Beaner

The whole concept of closed gaming networks annoys me. And Im not against the pay to play model I understand these companies need to make money, but for god sakes, use the internet and a pay to play model to connect to a server. Pretty soon we are going to have all these fractured closed game networks for gaming. What a mess. Its like AOL in reverse.

And regarding Halo. I really could care less with Crysis, Quake Wars and some of the other nice looking multiplay games coming to the PC. Granted I may need Vista to play some of them.

News Comments > CryENGINE2 MMVW Revealed
4. Re: Subscription Mar 8, 2007, 04:46 Beaner

I agree mOOzilla with all the perty how will that engine perform with a lot of players. will it be shifty as hell or smooth like butta. Im betting its the former. And yes Tribes on that engine sounds cool, but as you know, any Tribes game not only requires an engine that can handle large immerssive maps, but smooth like butta netcode and gameplay. The new Torque engine TGEA is actually looking almost as good, and it can scale so much so that Nasa uses it to map mars for real.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 04:51.

News Comments > On Halo 2 & PC Achievements
18. Re: halo 2 < ut2k4 Mar 6, 2007, 23:31 Beaner

Tribes you leech of a halo franchise.

Ahh that was fun.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. No subject Feb 25, 2007, 19:40 Beaner

This is great, although this amounts to the 3% of total users who actually buy Dells. Whats funny are some of the other requests regarding linux:

Make Linux run on any dell laptop without any driver problems

Lol like that is Dells responsibility. Linux has a way to go before its a true "desktop" replacement for Mom and Dad or even the average business user. It needs to become commercial which is everything anti linux. It needs so much driver support built in which is another anti linux issue. Open source is great, but open source does not make for a great business model.

News Comments > Great Games Experiment
3. Re: Great Games Experiment Failure Jan 30, 2007, 05:57 Beaner

Garage Games is the real deal, but perhaps people that work for Vivendi, or EA etc want to eschew them as a joke. Their TGEA engine is for real, their tools for indie gamers are for real, and their intent to be an alternative avenue for publishing games is for real. Great Games Experiment is like a social networking website for indie gamers and gamers in general.

Yes some of the Garage Games folks were the original crew from Dynamix that made the great Tribes and Tribes 2, but this has nothing to do with them making a game its to help those who want to make their own games.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 06:00.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 Mania
33. Re: I like over-the-top Jan 27, 2007, 22:48 Beaner

Theres so much emphasis on quasi-realism nowadays that half of the shooters released are mind-numbingly boring

Heh I hear you. Im old school too, most of these kids probaly dont remeber the days of getting excited when Doom hit the old Radio Shack and you could play against each other on an IPX network. Then it hit the web and it was like Wow.

I think too much realism can make for a boring game. I know there is an audience for realistic war games, but I honestly think that most Mulitplayer fps gamers want more war games with better immerssion, outdoor environements, vehicles etc, but with some combined method of making the actual gameplay faster then realistic movement. Thats why I always bring up Tribes because its a great example. Maybe a bit ahead of its time. I think ET Quake Wars is getting it, but they do seem to emphasis the whole linear thing a bit too much.

News Comments > Enemy Territory Quake Wars Delayed, Maybe
63. Re: No subject Jan 27, 2007, 22:29 Beaner

One of the biggest mistakes with TV was the choice of game engine. They should have "never" used the Unreal 2 engine for a Tribes game. Any Tribes game better be built on an engine that can support vast terrain without any hard boundries, excellent netcode. Unreal 2 with all the tweaks in the world, couldnt support either.

I respect Irrational, but they were a poor dev choice for a Tribes game. They are good at making nice linear style single player games or cute console style mp games like Freedom Force. Swat 4 was built on the tweaked Tribes Vengeance engine. Its a linear style fps squad oriented game so it worked. Hard lesson to learn.

Also its not a bad idea to make skiing easier, but they should have done what they did with Tribes 2 where you could ski just by holding down the space bar. It at least still felt like Tribes jump skiing. With Tribes Vengeance they complatey changed the physics of skiing. It was like literal snow skiing without any carving etc. Any Tribes game must emulate the skiing physics and movment of Tribes 1/ Tribes 2 classic as its base.

Anything else will be met with dissapointment. Thanks Vivendi for your shitness.
This comment was edited on Jan 27, 22:36.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 Mania
27. Benny Hill pat pat on the head... Jan 27, 2007, 21:28 Beaner

Why is it whenever I look at an Unreal Tourney movie, I hear Benny Hill Music in the background. Its like everyone is in fast motion and its choppy as shit. But hey the eye candy is coolio.

Actually I prefer the indoor levels as opposed to the more open levels favoured by UT2k3/4. You don't need freedom if it feels like you actually have control over skirmishes and that it's actually about skill rather than overly powerful weapons

Is your statement like one big oxymoron? Wtf. So what you are saying is that having freedom of movement requires no skill? You assume that games with open maps of outdoor an indoor environements require no skill? Its all the same you goof. I think your point is that outdoor maps may offer the additional dimension of vehicles and turrets which do make it easier for someone to deem a kill. That has nothig to do with man on man fighting whether its indoors or outdoors. In fact, sometimes its easier indoors because you can hide and use walls to protect you.

Come join a Tribes "classic" server or LT server where folks play man on man only. You'd last about 15 seconds doing your run strafe, run strafe crap without any walls, camping corners and such to protect you. But then again the graphics in Tribes/1/2 are dated so it would immediately be dismissed.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 21:44.

512 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo