Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaner

Real Name Beaner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Beaner
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 3, 2001, 10:40
Total Comments 512 (Apprentice)
User ID 9214

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Unreal Tournament 3
49. Re: Nov 20, 2007, 05:48 Beaner

Innovative ROFL. I'm seriously starting to think these publishers think eye candy is the same thing as gameplay which saddens me.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 05:51.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > "Tribes-like Shooter" Coming?
45. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2007, 02:53 Beaner

I`d love to see a complete retro redo of Tribes 1. Gameplay INTACT. But a new engine ala the Unreal 3 engine.

You are partially correct. Probably one of the most important aspect to the game that always gets overlooked by developers is the physics. So much of the nuances in movement, jetting, skiing, carving have become a huge part of Tribes gameplay. Physics ala T1, T2C. (I actually now prefer T2C more).

TV was partially a failure because of the choice of engine (Unreal 2) its limitations and the whacked changes to the feel of movment and skiing because of that choice. Using an Unreal engine for a Tribes game scares me only because past Unreal engines actually did not have very smooth movment such as game engines for Tribes or Quake. Netcode and an engine that can provide a sense of scale are also important.

I hope they release the browser version and then decide to release a richer standalone version that allows for all the modding and scripting. If they do this right, which probably wont happen (sorry its not easy to be positive) it would be a big success like TF2. Valve really understands their fanbase exceptionally well.
This comment was edited on Oct 26, 03:11.

News Comments > "Tribes-like Shooter" Coming?
44. Re: Dynamix Oct 26, 2007, 02:44 Beaner

I'm torn. I'm somewhat excited but at the same time we've been cock teased over the years, dealt with watching half attempts like halo take all the limelight, dealt with butched up producer changes to the game in predeccessors and now a game that runs in the browser?

Being a Tribes fan is like dealing with a long, painful death. You get to the point to where you want to die, and just when its about over, someone comes back and ressucitates you for more pain and suffering.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 02:48.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament III Specs
58. Re: Unreal Tournament III Specs Oct 8, 2007, 01:10 Beaner

Some of these games like BF2, ETQW force the gameplay because:

1. They think everyone on a "PUBLIC" server is playing competition.

2. They think some of you are too hard to play and will force you to mediocrity so the casual guy can enjoy themsleves.

3. They like realistic war game gameplay in a game thats not even close to realistic.

4. They want to force you to play more "pay to play" hours just to unlock weapons, armors and rankings.

And yes the trend sucks. I have no problem with a great game that was built to cater well to competition gameplay, but forcing it for every frickin thing especially in a pub sucks out all the fun. Wonder why so many are raving about TF2 while many other are so so about Quake Wars.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 01:13.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars
35. Re: WOOT! Oct 3, 2007, 05:00 Beaner

Yes godamnit enough with the cramped quarters twitchfest (although TF2 is fun) and the slow moving war games ala Quake Wars and BF2. Bring back Tribes in all its glory. That game had it all.

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Patch
30. Teamplay Oct 2, 2007, 01:02 Beaner

I think some people confuse teamplay with forced roles, building structures etc. TF2 can be very teamplay oriented. The group working together assisting each other on offense and defense but without each individual being forced to a specific job or duty at all times. Each player can act uniquely as long as they help their team win. Now thats fun. Thats the charm of TF2 and games like Tribes. Even Halo 3 follows that to a degree.

If I want real war teamplay there are plenty of simulator war games to chew on.
This comment was edited on Oct 2, 01:05.

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Patch
8. Re: Patch Sep 27, 2007, 23:26 Beaner

They have great ambitions which means its a complicated game to get right. I think if they just stuck to the basics like TF2, made sure the physics (both movement and vehicles were smooth) and stop all this constant forcing teamplay and ranking we'd have one heck of a game.

News Comments > Crysis Beta Issues - Updated
26. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2007, 11:12 Beaner

Crysis SP will be great, I think. Never expected the Multiplay to be great, especially when you are trying to push out Crysis style graphics. And yes like others mentioned TF2 is great. In some ways better than ETQ demo.

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Demo Released
73. Re: we need the ..... Sep 11, 2007, 01:11 Beaner

Crysis demo. Or Tribes 1 remade with the Unreal 3 engine. Or.....

Tribes..After you get it.. All this other stuff gets boring very quickly. Even in 2007.

I had high hopes for ETQ but from what I'm reading its not sounding very good =(.

I sometimes think forcing teamplay is not always a good thing. Build a game so it can allow for great team play for competition play or whatever, but offer individual freedom to pursue your own method to attack or defend. And I agree with those who mention the feel of the game. All the shiny explosions etc dont make for a great feel.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 01:18.

News Comments > Hip-Hop RPG
22. No subject Sep 7, 2007, 05:58 Beaner

Rofl..but seriously this kind of crap will sell like crazy.

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Beta Reset Planned
17. Re: Reset off my computer. Aug 21, 2007, 04:12 Beaner

I havent tried the beta but Im somewhat shocked at how many folks mention it and compare it to Tribes or that things dont feel like Tribes. To me QuakeWars and BF are more alike. Tribes is kind of a different game all together. What I think many are trying to say, is that the physics and game engine dont have the smooth physics of movment and that the game engine is jerky and shifty.

The older Quake 2 or Tribes/Tribes2 had such smooth movement and great netcode. The engine wasn't shifty (like the old Unreal engine). The genius of Tribes is that it was smooth even with large maps, lots of players and vehicles. I think a lot of the challenge in the future is to make massive mulitplayer team based games where the engine can handle large maps, lots of players with the addition of more eye candy. Personally games look pretty damn good already. I'll take the gameplay over having the most state of the art graphics any day.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 04:17.

News Comments > Irrational Games Becomes 2K Boston and 2K Australia
35. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2007, 04:46 Beaner

I think any Developer would be scared shitless to take on the development of a Tribes game. Its too bad Vivendi owns it because the people who should make a successor wont go anywhere near Vivendi.

Tribes fans are no different than Quake or CounterStrike fans regarding how judgmental they can be about the game. Those games are played by many competition folks and they are what I would refer to as serious teamplay games. The problem is that Quake Games and CouterStrike are still controlled by the original developers and for the most part things are kept intact and not drastically changed to suit console players etc. With Tribes 2 the devs attempted to nerf many things down. At least T2 gained many improvements over the years to the point of being as good or even better than the first. Too bad it wasnt that way out of box on its release.

Then after years of a sour taste in the mouth we get TV. People get excited, and discover its on an old version of the Unreal engine, choppy unfinished server and watered down to hell. WTF!

And Regarding Irrational. They did what they were hired to do. Create a good story and single player in a game that never had a true single player game and they did a good job. I still respect them for making great scripted style sp games.

The problem is that Tribes is not about SP, although Vivendi thinks thats what was needed to sell it. Total massacre. Tribes is all about the multi player game and that was the part that just plain sucked. Quake and Wolfenstein fans should be happy as hell to have Splash Damage because they are the type of devs suited for making a game like Tribes. Damn you CS, Quake folks you are so lucky. Tribes fans are orphaned children looking for a home and nothing comes close.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 05:04.

News Comments > ET: QUAKE Wars in October
7. Re: Try the demo first! Don't fall! Aug 4, 2007, 03:23 Beaner

I look forward to it, but if its not fun for large pub battles solo or not its going to be just ok. I never liked the idea of building a game to force teamplay. If you want teamplay then join a clan, a competition ladder and follow the rules. For the rest of us its the fun factor on a pub that counts. Some of us have lives. We play games for fun.

The game should be good pub or competition. Thank God for Tribes.
This comment was edited on Aug 4, 03:27.

News Comments > New Torque Game Builder
6. Re: No subject Jul 17, 2007, 06:17 Beaner

Hate to tell you this, but jump sking is now so much a part of Tribes its expected. I understand that Skiing" was originally discovered as an accident in T1, but now its so much a part of Tribes CTF. Without it its not Tribes.

On the other hand, The original concept of Tribes gameplay was more a team based warfare "with vehicles", deployables and the such. Any new Tribes game should employ all those elements but just make sure the jump skiing and jetting is intact. Thats what makes Tribes gameplay so unique.

News Comments > ETQW Beta for Free Accounts
93. Re: No subject Jun 28, 2007, 03:56 Beaner

Lastly, the Strogg flight packs can be used in a similar manner to the Tribes jetpack.

Havent played the beta, but if thats true, Im sure they'll nerf that down because it would be scary seeing a bunch of organized experienced Tribes players taking advantage of it. Sounds cool though.
This comment was edited on Jun 28, 03:57.

News Comments > ET: QUAKE Wars Beta Signups
75. Re: Impressions after about 10 hours. Jun 26, 2007, 03:37 Beaner

I know what you mean about the fluid feel of Quake 3, Quake engines or engines like Torque. The game has that klunky Unreal movement feel. The maps are nice for outdoors. You really have to focus on learning a class to appreciate the game. Its not bad but needs some tweaks.

I guess the question is, do you really want a realistic war multiplayer game (which is not ET:QW) or do you want a fun game thats not slow as hell but still requires teamwork to get the win. Personally I wouldn't want an ultra realistic war game, that would be a bit boring.

News Comments > ET: QUAKE Wars to Include Ads
92. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 02:17 Beaner

Would you rather have a "pay to play" game or game you can play at anytime for as long as you wish with some ads in it?

Would you rather have a pay to play on a proprietary game network or a game with some non intrusive ads and free to play. (at least on the PC side)

In fact I could be wrong but I think you will also be able to run your own server?

The ads are no big deal considering the alternative.

News Comments > ET: QUAKE Wars to Include Ads
89. No subject Jun 20, 2007, 02:09 Beaner

This will become more common. Im not really thrilled, BUT I understand why they are doing it. We are all so jaded to the amount of work and effort that goes into these very sophisticated games. Its not like this is Pac Man and they are putting ads in the game. These games are exhaustively expensive to make these days. Companies have to make money.

As long as the Ads are not intrusive, just some random graphics on billboards or some objects in the game no big deal. At least this will still be a gamers game and not another marketing piece of crap. I hope.

News Comments > id Tech Demo Movie
42. Re: uugh... Jun 14, 2007, 03:56 Beaner

Games these days are looking great visually. I think a lot of us are getting too jaded or desensitized to all the miraculous things being done with game engines.

But if we are gonna be picky about judging graphics, Id have to say thus far the engine that has impressed me the most from just a visual standpoint is Crysis for its realism, lighting and such. iDs engine looks great, but it sometimes has a bit of that plastic look and like some mentioned it doesn't seem to showcase much in terms of wide open immerssive space. The Project Offset engine also looks impressive and from one tech demo, it showcases beautiful large open spaces. Im really curious to see whats done with the offset engine.

News Comments > New id Tech Shown
33. Re: Laptops rule Jun 11, 2007, 21:47 Beaner

So how much did Jobs pay Carmack to promo a demo during another Apple showcase in hopes to make it sound like Apple is a premiere OS for games. Jobs has scoffed games on the MAC for a long time. Jobs either be serious about it or shut the eff up.

They are all scampering because Crysis is looking to be amazing and its Direct X 10 game.
This comment was edited on Jun 11, 21:50.

512 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo