Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ask Me

Real Name Ask Me   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scheherazade
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 28, 2001, 23:01
Total Comments 232 (Novice)
User ID 9185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
193. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 3, 2015, 14:56 Scheherazade

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 14:45:
Scheherazade wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 13:00:
However, times have changed, and I think that if DNF were to begin dev these days, with how slowly graphics are changing, I bet they would have finished just fine with the engine they started with, and still meet the 'latest and greatest' requirement.

Sets in darkened corner, muttering to self "If only there was a Duke Nukem re-imagined like Black Mesa's Half-Life."

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=duke+nukem+reloaded

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_3D:_Reloaded

"The problem was that Reloaded, in its then present state, was both a prettier and better game than Forever was. So they [Gearbox] could under no circumstances allow us [Interceptor] to publish it, show it, or do anything at all with it, because it would destroy the sales-opportunities they had left in Forever."

-scheherazade

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

191. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 3, 2015, 13:04 Scheherazade

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 11:00:
SC does not fall under the definition of either ponzi scheme or pyramid scheme. We need a new term.
Feel free to add your own.

Roberts Scheme
Kickstarter Scheme
Cig Scheme
BDCSE (Best Damn Crowdfunding Scheme Ever) frequently confused with
BDKSE (Best Damn Kickstarter Scheme Ever)

OK, this post made me smile.

My vote is for "BDCSE".

-scheherazade

190. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 3, 2015, 13:00 Scheherazade

Kosumo wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 05:59:
Thanks for your reply.

So you would agree that so far there has been no particular exceptional gameplay of any kind?

To me, that is what he should have been aiming for and could have done at a much more lower level of 'fidelity' in line with his original pitch for the game. (by lower level, it still would have been graphical nice, just not over the top - his making this for the future PC as apposed to the current PC)

By him talking this up, he has only boxed himself into a corner.

The whole getting out of you ship and walking to the bar will most likely get bland very quickly no matter now much 'fidelity' it has. He is shooting for a movie like experance when really he should be try to make a great game experience (of which he has shown nothing of so far)

The whole 'fidelity' thing is totally over blown, it's now a rod for his back that is really not important for a BDSSE - it's more a sign of how he wish he was making movies.

Minecraft, Team Fortress 2, Papers Please, Hotline Miami and many other games show that it's the gameplay that rules.

I'm don't really care that much either way because although I don't really get into space sims, I have enjoyed some over the years because I'm a gamer and like to try diffent game. (Elite, Freelance). What I don't like is how I believe that he has put getting more money form promising thing to people which I don't believe he can delivied. (It's Faith based)

It's like other game makers form the past who made great games but can't repeat it now. Times have changed and just because people have nostailga for your old games, does not mean that you can make something as relevant again. There is a whole list of those people whom I can't really be bother listing but I'm sure you know the type.

Duke Nukem 3d was a great game, the same guys with all that money could not make anything close to it as time went on.

I agree.
My top 2 played games on steam are : War Thunder, Dungeon Defenders
Because I liked the core game mechanics enough to enjoy repeating it.

I'm hopeful that after SC gets balanced, the combat will be more fun. I really liked WC3 combat, and there's not a lot to a space shooter at its core. Just give me shit to pew pew at, without some imba b.s. to ruin it.

Mass effect 2 got rid of the running around between your ship and location. As annoying as it was in ME1, I missed doing it. ME1 just felt better in that regard - it was a good annoyance. Getting rid of it made ME2 feel a bit more hollow (even though the gameplay itself was better).

DNF is a great example of refactoring yourself to death.
It's an interesting case, because it was developed at a time when engines were changing night and day year to year. You basically couldn't go a year without some amazing leap in graphics.
DNF was committed to being 'the latest and greatest', and in that kind of environment, they just couldn't finish development before newer tech would arrive and make the game look old. So they started over, again and again.
However, times have changed, and I think that if DNF were to begin dev these days, with how slowly graphics are changing, I bet they would have finished just fine with the engine they started with, and still meet the 'latest and greatest' requirement.

-scheherazade

182. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 3, 2015, 05:36 Scheherazade

Kxmode wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 03:34:
Kosumo wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 02:42:
Your solar panel example is one (a silly, computer programmer) way of achieving that goal.

On my list of how some irrational White Knights handle Star Citizen criticisms comparing Star Citizen to Solar Panel technology would fall under 1, 2, 9, 14 and probably a few more. Making up 500 employees would fall under 19 and 32. And the whole post falls under 30. Basically it's a massive cacophony of pure irrationality.

Besides all that it is pretty amazing for the details.

- Never compared SC to solar technology. (unrelated to SC example of the nature of development's work vs delivery schedules)

- Never said CIG had 500 employees (said "500 people paid for by SC cash" - i.e. all people, inc. contractors. DSmart even chimed in on this point.)

- The post was not made to rationalize anything, and hence had no rationale to be irrational about. It was an illustration of the kinds of development aspects that have to be ignored in order to make the claim that what is included in AC is /everything/ that has been worked on.

-scheherazade

181. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 3, 2015, 05:25 Scheherazade

Kosumo wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 02:42:
That all nice and dandy there Scheherazade, but it's not the only way things are done. Your solar panel example is one (a silly, computer programmer) way of achieving that goal. My best mate of 27 years who owns a persition (high end) engineering company that has a staff of about 50 who makes machines that make and package food stuff all over the world would be able to tell you at the start how long the job will take, how much it will cost - with the understanding of the problems that may arise.

Why can't Chris Roberts estimate the time that this project will take with any kind of accuracy?

How about they make all those 'locations' then work on your steps 2&3 only for Chris to then turn around and want to change those 'locations' - like how they have redone some ships multipy times? That's what I think is happening here, just like on Chris projects in the past. He is undisaplied. In this case with 'pre-order pledge' money.

Also, what about your claims of those 500 people working on it? You got anything to back that up/explain it?

The fact that you agree that they need to keep getting in more funds only goes to show how Derek is right when he points to it being like a Ponzi scheme - they have use early backer money to make/make concepts of ships to sell to get more money. A very scummy way to fund development. He should have taken the early 20 - 50 million and made a more simple, lest 'fidelity' game to show that he can make a fun game. As it is, all he is really doing is making pretty graphics with not solid gameplay to back any of it up.

The BDSSE will be because of the gameplay, not because of the graphics.

Can you point to him having shown any great gameplay yet?

Despite him going on that the Star Marine FPS module is being held up because of the networking/animaions, I don't believe him, I recon that he knows that the gameplay of the module is what is really lacking and he is trying to buy time in the hope of being able to get some kind of FPS that has some character to it that delivers more than just a simple counter strike in space knock off.

I don't believe he understands how to do this - I'm sure he has a vision of what it should be - and that vision is probly quite cool for the style he is after. I just don't think it's as easy to do as he thought it would be.

I could go on (as I do) but at this point I will just hit the ball back to the other side of the court.

The solar panel example is not one of predicting schedule.
It's a contrived example of how the work is done linearly, but the accomplished line items are delivered exponentially at the end.
Point being that non-developers expect line items to be delivered linearly, as if the quantity of delivered features should be in proportion to time spent.
(No relevance to CR's time estimation. No claim that this arbitrary example is the only/best/optimal way to do this arbitrary task.)

I suspect all the re-doing of ships as art technical requirements changed is what tempered their enthusiasm for adding locations up front.

I don't claim that the 500 employees are working on locations.
I state that you can't disqualify the possibility that they are - which is a prerequisite to saying that nothing else has gotten done other than what you see in AC.
(That said, there are a lot of artists on staff, and they're doing *something*. There are only so many tasks.)

A ponzi scheme is one where earlier investors are repaid by money provided by newer investors.
By definition, wholly unrelated to SC.

Gameplay wise, I have no particularly exceptional examples. While I like the recent flight mechanics changes, their refusal to balance 'what they have' creates a shit fest in DM. Basically people spam 1 particular missile type. They say they will balance it later when more combat features are in - however I think it makes for a crap demo in the mean time. I can't actually sit anyone down to play AC for the purpose of enticing them, on account of the shit balance.

FPS wise, maybe. I have no reason to distrust CR regarding networking issues - for if you played AC a little while ago you'd know they were quite real.
That said, I don't think anyone can make a whiz-bang FPS these days. All the ideas are played out. I get more fun nowadays from zdaemon than any recent FPS. I'm not actually expecting CR (or anyone) to blow me away re. FPS. So sure, I'll go along with it most likely being a tired rehash.
One excuse could be that the FPS serves the purpose of 'gluing' game elements. Transitioning from ship to port, via controlled 1st person, instead of teleporting to a slide show a-la WC privateer. Stealing ships via boarding party, instead of a magic tractor beam. etc.

-scheherazade

178. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 3, 2015, 01:16 Scheherazade

jdreyer wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 20:12:
Scheherazade wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 14:00:
Of the 500 people paid for by SC cash, what makes you so sure that none of them are making content for those other 98 systems?
When have you not seen Chris gleefully show off a work in progress (SQ42 excepted)? If they had it, we would have seen it. Also, given all the criticism he's come under this summer, it's inconceivable he wouldn't allay people's fears by showing off what they've accomplished so far.

What makes you so sure that all the content they have created toward the final game, is all contained within the ArenaCommander&ArcCorp demo?
So, it's all in there but it's hidden? I suppose that it's big enough at 35 GB or whatever it's up to these days. Still, wouldn't hackers have pulled all the files out? All that stuff would be all over the web.

*(If Chris hadn't been showing some stuff off, you wouldn't know it. So you can't say that he has been showing everything off)
*(The sentence meant the opposite of how you took it. I.E. What evidence is there that all content CIG has in house has been put into the AC release? - answer: there is no evidence, one way or the other. So you can't assert that AC is definitively everything.)

The point I'm getting at is one that a software dev would recognize - one which dsmart knows but omits to mention, in favor of stoking dissent from the unaware.

I'll give a practical example.

If you want a product that does these 3 things :
1) moves a solar panel to follow the sun
2) Parks the panel at night
3) Parks the panel during hail

You would have a product with 3 features.

If someone gives you an estimate that it will take 3 months to make, which of these 2 scenarios would you expect?
(Not saying it's a 3 month task, it's just for example's sake)

A) 1 moth passes, feature (1) comes online. 1 more month passes, feature (2) comes online. 1 more month passes, feature (3) comes online.

B) 2.5 months pass, features (1)&(2) come online. 0.5 more months pass, feature (3) comes online.

A person naive to development would assume scenario (A).
However, the reality is that scenario (B) would happen.

The developer would need to:
- Get an objective compute system (maybe an AVR32 board or something).
- Get encoders, which require some interface (serial or DA, etc).
- Write software to read the interface and get the encoder messages.
- Interpret the grayscale or whatever to get a value.
- Mount the encoder(s) to a pair of gimbal axes (pitch & roll)
- Get some actuators
- Get an appropriate motor control unit for the actuators, which require some interface (serial, DA, etc).
- Wire it up, and write software to send commands down that interface.
- Create a routine that does some closure onto a desired pose. Eg. a PID loop or something that would drive the actuators to move the gimbal, such that the encoder reading is that which you desire.
- Use some DA device to read the DC voltage supplied by the panel, via whatever discrete channel you connect it with your board.
- Write a routine that can sweep the panel in a circle pattern, and detect which point along the circle the voltage reading was highest.
- Have that routine re-center the panel and re-run the parttern - effectively walking the panel onto the orientation with most supplied energy.
- Have the routine repeat this action periodically, to 'follow' the sun.
- Take a look at your hardware, and make some nice looking case for it, and pack it up in an environmentally sealed manner.
*** You now blew a bunch of time, and have just only now demonstrated feature (1).
- Add a case where if the voltate falls below some threshold, you move the panel to a stow position.
*** 2 minutes later, you now have feature (2)
- (Open a weather web site, and enter your zip code. Make note of the URL.)
- (Find the text that describes today's weather. Make note of it in firefox inspector.)
- At your device, open a TCP connection to that weather web site, and do an http request patterned like a URL with your zip code in it.
- Dump the HTML string that comes back, and parse it for the section with the day's weather.
- Search that section for the word 'hail' without regard to caps.
- Return 'is hailing' if that section has the word hail. Else not hailing.
- Write a routine that checks for hailing once every 30 mins, and parks the panel if it's true.
*** You now have feature (3).

Basically, for a long while, you do work, but there is nothing to show for it.
2 of 3 months into the project, if someone asked for a demo, you'd only have a mess of wires, and some twitching bits.
Then suddenly there are some features, and next thing you know, you're done.

How this pertains to SC is like so:

During dev, you have code branches.
Different folks doing different things.

One would generally have a release branch, which is the one you get to play with.

More branches for things like : FPS, Space combat, Mission system, AI development, matchmaker development, location development, etc.
Each of those would have lots of little micro branches for each open ticket or issue that's been assigned to one dev or another.
These are constantly being merged, deconflicted, and bubbled up to a higher level.

What ends up being published to the release branch, is whatever features are cherry picked as being 'bug free enough for folks to play with, and are politically useful for presentation purposes'.

You basically have a swirling mass of in-flux code being worked on, and you only get to see the bits that are stable enough and cool enough to make a nice demo.

The reason why most of the dev code is useless for a demo, is because most code is practically useless until it's nearing completion.

If you want to demo 'getting a mission at a bar, and flying it', you need:
1) NPC chat working
- Depends on a system where you can contextually 'use' an AI, and it will lead to a dialog.
- Depends on a dialog menu system
- Depends on triggering aniomation/sound loops and camera changes based on dialog selections
- Depends on a stateful conversation system (AI knows what you were talking about earlier if you walk away and return)
2) Mission creation working
- Depends on a dynamic content creation system, where your next take off will have the targets required to complete am mission spawned into your system.
- Depends on kill vs mission requirements accounting system (so if you have N missions, and each require you kill X amount of baddy Y, when you kill a baddy Y, it counts towards completing whatever missions)

You can have 3 of 4 items in section (1) complete, and the remaining 50% done. And maybe both items in section 2 75% complete.
And... you have zero to show for it. Because you can't demo 'getting a mission at a bar and flying it'.

So you'll never see all that code merged into (or simply exposed) to the player, because it wouldn't actually _do_ anything.

Furthermore, content is as much an anchor as it is a show of progress.

For example, if you want to add a location, you need to:
1) Make the 3d model of the location (essentially 99% of the art labor)
2) Have a technical artist prep it
3) Have some engineer add the metadata making it loaded and accessible from some entry point.

You can do step (1) for 100 systems - and that's most of the content creation labor - but none of it is available to play with.

You need to do steps 2 & 3 to get it into the game.
Step 2 often involves things like chopping it up into sections, so you can put them into a grid, and do load on demand.
Step 3 is often XML edits.

Steps 2 & 3 are fine. But they are risky.

For if you do something that requires the art to change, you have to repeat steps 2&3.
Like if your grid system changes, and you need the location cut into different sizes.
Or you need to add nav points for AI into the original map.
Or you need to alter the original map to accept a new pre-fab fixture that is dynamically spawned, and needs to not clip into a wall.

Making that change to the orignal art requires someone to go repeat step 2.
Then sometimes, step 3 has to be re-done too.

So if you make 100 locations, and you wait to integrate them till late in dev, the odds of needing to redo steps 2&3 are low.

If you integrate those locations early, you will likely need to redo steps 2&3 a few times. And if you have to do steps 2&3 a few times for 100 systems, you will blow a ton of time and money.
So instead, you wait to integrate the assets until late in dev.

(This is likely why you see CIG state they would rather fully flesh out one system before adding more. Note that 'adding' more systems doesn't have to mean *beginning* to overall work on them. It at least means *finishing* overall work on them (doing steps 2&3 to tie the assets into the game). You can make the art for many systems before you 'add' anything to the game.)

Development is not like building a brick house. You don't see it go up all nicely and proportionately to the work done. For most of the time, there's simply nothing to show for it.
In any case, people familiar with dev already know this. I'm rather certain that DSmart knows this. Which is why I find his complaints disingenuous, and frankly, pandering to the angst of folks who don't know any better. (This statement is specifically in regards to the rhetoric of : "Derp, 80+ million and all we see is a small shooter and some first person chat lobby, Herp".)

Besides that, I'm totally on board with the part about their budget being B.S.. I'm 90%+ certain that they in fact need to maintain funding in order to finish, and they can't simply finish on what they have. Too many mouths to feed over too long of a time. The math just doesn't work out (unless people are working for janitor money).
(But that's not anything to do with why you do or don't see progress)
In any case, so long as they do keep paying their staff and moving along with the game, I'm not particularly concerned. I'll be concerned if they start running dry.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2015, 01:52.

167. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 2, 2015, 14:00 Scheherazade

dsmart wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 13:26:
OK, here is a wakeup call that's hard to ignore.

In a Kotaku interview just two weeks ago, Chris stated that the full game would be completed by end of 2016.

THIS is the game he recently said they are going to deliver by end of 2016.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Seriously.

Note that the stretch goals commits them to 100 systems for which each needs a social module. To date, they have only released one buggy and empty one, ArcCorp, while showing another, Nyx which has more performance issues than I care to even highlight.

2016. He said that.

Of the 500 people paid for by SC cash, what makes you so sure that none of them are making content for those other 98 systems?

What makes you so sure that all the content they have created toward the final game, is all contained within the ArenaCommander&ArcCorp demo?

-scheherazade

163. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 2, 2015, 12:42 Scheherazade

Creston wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 12:24:
Scheherazade wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:21:
No one is on time, everyone is over budget.
TBH, the very idea that you can predict a schedule, with nice buffers, is a fallacy.

May I recommend that you work with better project managers. I've worked with absolutely great project managers, both on small and massive huge projects, and probably 90% of their projects were delivered on time and under budget.

It helps if you have someone who knows what he's doing, who analyzes areas where things may fail and plans ahead for if/when that happens, and someone who doesn't promise the moon.

Of course, said project managers also didn't have to try to coax 3 million dollars worth of funding out of people every month in order to keep their developers employed.

If it's re-hashing things that have been done before, and just customizing for a particular customer, it's quite predictable.

When making new/novel items (i.e. customer has a unique new problem, and you are making a novel solution to it [not one that has ever been made before]), things get unpredictable.

Different industries cater to different customers. I happen to be in the "hey, this new gadget was invented, can we integrate it to do X? - Sure, why the hell not. F it." industry.
(Well, half is that. The other half is "Let's update some legacy system X by rebuilding it from modern hardware" - which isn't entirely new, but that hardware is new, and hence has plenty of quirks to discover. In either case, gobs of 1-off stuff with no prior users to work out the bugs ahead of time.)

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2015, 12:52.

161. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 2, 2015, 10:04 Scheherazade

[delete, hit quote not edit]  

160. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 2, 2015, 10:01 Scheherazade

dsmart wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 08:57:
[...]
Notice that in the project status, they now mark ArcCorp as "ready". Though it is an incomplete and buggy mess, like the other modules, apparently it's ready. Which is precisely why I said in this comment that they're going to rush through these in 2016 in order to keep backers and the Feds off their backs for non-delivery.
[...]

"Ready" doesn't have to be the build you are playing. Neither does "Ready" mean "Complete".

Their in house build could actually have it ready /and/ complete, but that's beside the point.

In any case, with such a large team/production, you can build out most of the content to 90% completion in parallel, and nothing is "ready" at most points in time (other than the feature-testing kernel(s)).

dsmart wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 07:45:
[...]
btw, the reason they took out co-op and drop-in/drop-out is blatantly obvious. The net code sux.

IIRC it's not 'gone gone'. You just don't get to be a full fledged character along with the 'main' campaign player. You only hop in for combat to replace an AI, and are otherwise not present in the story. Some chatter about how a player centric/focused narrative becomes a bear if you gotta juggle each player's possible choices and integrate all branches.

It's not entirely clear if this coop is sandboxed or not (i.e. individual missions a-la modern combat coop - or a campaign).

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2015, 10:18.

146. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 14:09 Scheherazade

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 13:28:
Scheherazade wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:21:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 23:20:
[...]

I have a formal education in IT project management and the VERY FIRST thing they taught me at school with regard to project management and Microsoft Project in particular was to ALWAYS provide for generous buffers and whenever in doubt plan VERY conservatively for when things are NOT going according to plan.
Has Roberts ever gone to any kind of school? Has no one taught Him this MOST BASIC shit???
[...]

I've worked with my share of large projects, in a non-theoretical setting.
Generally, the only projects that don't go over budget&time, are small projects.
People don't appreciate how many opportunities there are for pitfalls. All the way down to stupid things like "the one chip we spec'd out for item X was just announced as EOL by its manufacturer".

(Which means updated boards, updated wiring, updated everyone connected to it, updated revisions of software and hardware in a dozen connected systems. With a large organization, by the time it goes through all the layers of design, configuration management, procurement, coordination with other contractors and the delay in their admin processes, etc, you've burned through months of time. Any given year, you have a few of these externally generated events that shower the project&schedule with gobs of delays. The bigger the system, the more limbs can break.
TBH, the very idea that you can predict a schedule, with nice buffers, is a fallacy. It makes more sense to calculate a best case, and then scale it to your customer. eg. If it's private, double the schedule, and come in early. If it's the government, put in a small buffer, and come in late (govt. gets pissed if you're early, because of the way budgeting works, you cost their department money in the next year - because it's predicted and pre-allocated based on on the previous year.) If you cost them money, they will dump you asap.)

-scheherazade

The problem is CSI said, "Hey! We'll have the building finished in 2015!" Then we find out at the due date they're basically saying, "Well we finished the foundation and underlying parking garage, and have the first 2 floors out of 100 finished. Now we just need the next 98 floors! We'll be done by 2016 for sure." I want this game to succeed as much as anyone, but it's starting to leave the realm of reality.

You make lots of content offline with no software to use it with.
You write lots of software subsystems offline, which are unusable until they are mostly working.
You do lots of stuff, but there's nothing to show for it.

You reach a critical point where within a short period of time, you have enough subsystems working that you can interconnect them into larger interactive systems. Then you have a place to connect your content to. Your offline components come online, and to an outside observer you appear to make sudden progress.

Basically, the *visible* progress is very tail heavy. Even though the underlying work progress is rather linear. If you're inside the project, you see it coming along. From the outside, it looks like a lot of jerking off and wasted time.

It is less tail heavy when it's done by a smaller team, for then there tends to be less content waiting in the pipeline, so you don't get sudden large content dumps after critical points are crossed.

A good construction example would be if walls/floors were pre-fabricated, but they had to be attached to a pre-built frame.
You have someone building the frame, and for a while it appears that there is merely an incomplete frame coming up for the longest time.
Then when it's finished, everyone else arrives, and attaches their prefab floors/walls/etc, and suddenly there is a building.

Keep in mind that there are ~500 people working away at SC, and we only see a demo of the core systems and select art assets for use in this demo. In the mean time, a world of assets is being pre-fabbed. When the core systems are present and stable, the pre-fabs will be adjusted to have the correct interfaces, and will be integrated into the whole.

The reason to not integrate large amounts of content right now, is that the requirements for content are changing as the underlying systems are changing. It's better to sort things out first, and then at the end make your adjustments and integrations.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
12. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 1, 2015, 10:48 Scheherazade

ViRGE wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 04:33:
InBlack wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 03:41:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 23:24:
Tom wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 22:23:
2TB/month over cellular? T-Mobile should be ashamed and embarrassed for even allowing it to be technically possible for a customer to accomplish this. How does that even happen...

"Unlimited."

But yeah, they should be able to detect when people are exclusively running up 100 GB on their phone only, and 5 GB to their phone and 95 GB to their laptop using the phone's 4G signal.

Unlimited means unlimited. Why is everyone taking the fucking telecom's side here? Shills and g-men, the lot of you....
It is unlimited, for your phone. Tethered devices are limited to 7GB. Scummy users were manipulating their phones into tricking T-Mo into thinking it was the phone consuming the data, when in fact it was a tethered device.

Sarcasm or serious?

The paid relationship between T-mo and a phone customer is for a service between phone and their network. T-Mo TOSing the shit out of that connection is totally fine.

Connections outside of their domain, however, are a stretch. eg. The comms between phone and my other devices are paid for and maintained by me. T-mo is not involved. They haven't paid for my router, etc.

I don't mind when TOS has all kinds of limitations that pertain to the service provider's domain. But when it steps outside of their domain, into domains paid for and maintainted by others with no involvement of said service provider, it's B.S..

What business do they have deep inspecting the content of your or my traffic to guess at where it could be originating? This is where common carrier rules should be applying. They could just as well be detecting whether or not your traffic has banking info, and surcharging you for higher value traffic.

Imagine the post office doing that. "You can send unlimited amounts of letters. But if these letters contain information that you heard from someone else, you're limited to 20 per month".

What's next, a first night clause?

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2015, 10:54.

137. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 10:29 Scheherazade

nin wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:27:
Scheherazade wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:24:
nin wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:11:
Scheherazade wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:03:
I wish the people that are upset about their use of money would have simply never gotten involved. They clearly didn't appreciate the conditions they were getting involved in at the time they hit the 'spend' button.

Complaining about CIG is like complaining to 7-11 that you didn't win the lottery and you want your dollar back. If you don't like taking risks, don't finance a startup.

-scheherazade

Some of us backers feel the same way (not wanting to be involved). But what the project started at, at what it morphed into are two wildly different things. I don't give a fuck about a social space, or a FP shooter, or a goddamn racetrack...yet here's all this stupid shit, and no single player.

A better comparison would be a lottery that changes the rules every week and gives out prizes no one asked for instead of the promised money.

In this case, the rules are : 'whatever we make is in flux, don't count on what you see now being what you get'.
Basically, delivering something else is quite by the rules. Hence why it annoys me that people make a big deal over it after agreeing to it up front.

-scheherazade

I'm pretty sure that's not how kickstarter works at all. You're supposed to try and deliver as close to your original, advertised vision as you can.

Projects must be honest and clearly presented.

Our community is built on trust and communication. Projects can’t mislead people or misrepresent facts, and creators should be candid about what they plan to accomplish. When a project involves manufacturing and distributing something complex, like a gadget, we require projects to show a prototype of what they’re making, and we prohibit photorealistic renderings.

Stating that their game will change and evolve, and you won't get what you see now, that is being quite candid.

It's up to the person spending their money to appreciate what that means.

-scheherazade

135. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 10:24 Scheherazade

nin wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:11:
Scheherazade wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:03:
I wish the people that are upset about their use of money would have simply never gotten involved. They clearly didn't appreciate the conditions they were getting involved in at the time they hit the 'spend' button.

Complaining about CIG is like complaining to 7-11 that you didn't win the lottery and you want your dollar back. If you don't like taking risks, don't finance a startup.

-scheherazade

Some of us backers feel the same way (not wanting to be involved). But what the project started at, at what it morphed into are two wildly different things. I don't give a fuck about a social space, or a FP shooter, or a goddamn racetrack...yet here's all this stupid shit, and no single player.

A better comparison would be a lottery that changes the rules every week and gives out prizes no one asked for instead of the promised money.

In this case, the rules are : 'whatever we make is in flux, don't count on what you see now being what you get'.
Basically, delivering something else is quite by the rules. Hence why it annoys me that people make a big deal over it after agreeing to it up front.

-scheherazade

134. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 10:21 Scheherazade

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 23:20:
[...]

I have a formal education in IT project management and the VERY FIRST thing they taught me at school with regard to project management and Microsoft Project in particular was to ALWAYS provide for generous buffers and whenever in doubt plan VERY conservatively for when things are NOT going according to plan.
Has Roberts ever gone to any kind of school? Has no one taught Him this MOST BASIC shit???
[...]

I've worked with my share of large projects, in a non-theoretical setting.
Generally, the only projects that don't go over budget&time, are small projects.
People don't appreciate how many opportunities there are for pitfalls. All the way down to stupid things like "the one chip we spec'd out for item X was just announced as EOL by its manufacturer".

(Which means updated boards, updated wiring, updated everyone connected to it, updated revisions of software and hardware in a dozen connected systems. With a large organization, by the time it goes through all the layers of design, configuration management, procurement, coordination with other contractors and the delay in their admin processes, etc, you've burned through months of time. Any given year, you have a few of these externally generated events that shower the project&schedule with gobs of delays. The bigger the system, the more limbs can break.
TBH, the very idea that you can predict a schedule, with nice buffers, is a fallacy. It makes more sense to calculate a best case, and then scale it to your customer. eg. If it's private, double the schedule, and come in early. If it's the government, put in a small buffer, and come in late (govt. gets pissed if you're early, because of the way budgeting works, you cost their department money in the next year - because it's predicted and pre-allocated based on on the previous year.) If you cost them money, they will dump you asap.)

-scheherazade

132. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 10:03 Scheherazade

dsmart wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 06:32:
[...]
But regardless, he still doesn't hold himself accountable for this mess. And he still talks about being open, when in fact, asking him for financial accountability seems to be something he won't discuss.

That's the thing, tho... what mess?

CIG being later than CIG hoped for and likely over CIG's budget expectations? So what?

There's no requirement in the customer agreement that they finish on X time or Y budget, or that their features remain limited to Z. Short of fraud, they have basically contractual carte blanche.

The show goes on.

Make a fuss if the company folds and they don't make a game. Till then, there's nothing to get upset about other than one's own expectations.

-scheherazade

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
217. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 29, 2015, 12:13 Scheherazade

Kosumo wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 17:16:
Well those tyre's are a real physical good that you can use today on a car that is real and is finished .... as for Chris Roberts internet ships ... well ... yeah.

I was always wondering why Star Citizen fanboys always talked about 'grabby hands', I was like what the fuck are those? Now I know, it's Chris Roberts grabby hands going straight for his cult members wallets.

Tyres are also ephemeral. 500 a piece, and last 1.5 years if driven nicely. (I have a second set for sporting events, to not shred my dailies).
Internet space ships last much longer. (Edit : all I care about is DM, so AC - barring imbalances - scratches that itch as well as the PU/completed game would)

Grabby hands is when the player model in 1st person is unified with 3rd person, and what you see the model grabbing and holding from 3rd person is the same thing you see them grabbing and holding in 1st person. So animations of pressing buttons or picking up crap are viewed from the actual eyepoint. No items magically teleporting into your inventory or hands.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2015, 14:41.

210. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 27, 2015, 22:39 Scheherazade

Flatline wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 12:54:
Kosumo wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 19:30:
and hey, at just $350 they are a steal!

Dude that's almost a vacation for me. I honest to god can't believe that this shit is still happening, at this pace.

It's gone the way of beanie babies in the 90's. Huge markups for supposedly rare commodities that actually aren't.

That wouldn't even buy 1 tyre for my car...

But yeah, plenty of vacations to be had for tree piddy.

In all fairness, Ben was asking folks what they want CIG to do - not informing people of what is impending.

That said, of course CIG would benefit from it, and by asking makes it clear that they are open and willing, and just want a formal community 'ok' to dress it up nice.

-scheherazade

192. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 26, 2015, 18:13 Scheherazade

dsmart wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 18:01:
Going to leave this here, then piss off

"As much as I’d like to say that I was right, this completely bothers me that I am"

Yeah. I'm sure 'being right' really bothers you.

It appears that no matter what CIG does, it's not good enough.

How surprising.

It's like listening to immigrant parents talk to their kids.
"An B?? B?? Why couldn't you get an A? So disappointment."
"An A?? A?? Why couldn't you get an A+? So disappointment."
"An A+?? And? Why couldn't you help around the house more? So disappointment."
"An A+?? And you finished your chores? Why didn't you ask your sister if you could help with her chores? So disappointment."
(Kid proceeds to grow up with a mental complex.)

So they released a dev build for testing, "on time".
K. Whatevz.

I say "on time" because the date wasn't official, IIRC it was based on interview comments where CR mentioned when he suspects it'll be released.

Plus they said it wouldn't be full featured - and it isn't.
K. Whatevz.

So much angst over so little - overall delivering later than expected.

However, DSmart, I do thank you for the negative press you've thrown at CIG over their delays. I can only assume that CIG is making an effort to clean up their tardy appearance by stepping on the gas. So, thank you, for what is likely the reason why I get to try this out now instead of in 2 weeks.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2015, 18:37.

188. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 26, 2015, 10:40 Scheherazade

Krovven wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 18:34:
dsmart wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 16:36:
Tigger wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 16:19:

Are you hoping to take it over?

hahaha, don't be silly. Nope. No interest whatsoever.

In fact, some White Knight sent me this letter today (which he also posted on his Star Citizen fan site that he owns) telling me nonsense about being "invited to the table". I mean seriously, people are whacked.

In my tweet here, you can see my reply, and a Dropbox link to his letter

Don't you think you have better things to be doing with your time? Like maybe trying to fix your game to point where someone actually plays it? 0 people playing LoD MMO and LoD Tactics.

He really doesn't.

Think about it. He spent most his life pushing a game concept, who's implementation everybody panned. Then CR comes along and makes only a fraction of a similar concept, and with just that fraction already has more of a game with more players than dsmart had from lifelong effort. Dsmart has to be feeling so bad right now. Poor guy.

-scheherazade

232 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo