Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ask Me

Real Name Ask Me   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scheherazade
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 4189579
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 28, 2001, 23:01
Total Comments 133 (Novice)
User ID 9185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
66. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 12, 2014, 00:26 Scheherazade

[VG]Reagle wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 23:03:
Kosumo wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 20:45:
Why did no publisher want to work with Chris Roberts? Don't keep me in suspense I want to hear a detractor's opinion because I only see the fanboys.

Well I am not a publisher but will give you my view on why none picked up this project.

First and forth most, I'd say his track record of games released in the pass decade - none, zip, zero.

He talks big, with dreams that any fanboi would love but where the rubber hits the road and it's time to make the software he does not seem to be able to manage the project relistical with feature/future creep taking over and ever changing goal post. Publishers (most) can see this and provide disapline for projects that are getting off track/becoming bloated.

Also his vision does not make ecconomic sense, he is aiming that high that most/alot of gamers will not have the gear to play the game as intended which is a big turn off to publisher who would like to see a project at lest make back it's cost. The money he has got so far is not how much the game would make if it was release, the 41 million is for promise and dreams which I don't think will be delivered on.

I don't think he is scamming anyone, I just think he is not relistic with what he is doing and I don't think it will end well - as this PAX East showing demonstrated - anyone who see that as a good revel is drowning in kool-aid.

So, on that matter, I would say this would have been a better game had he stuck to his origanal goal of the Squrdern 42 and finish and released that first, then move on to bigger things (his persisteant MMO like world, Start Citizen) or if he had team up with a publisher and let them have managed the project but I'd suspect he is a dreamer with a ego that thinks he can make it all happen, of which I doubt.

Also, if all you see is the opinions of fanboys, I suggest you look harder cos their are many who doubt what he is doing.

I have to get ready for work, but if I had more time (maybe later) I would get into how much is wrong with getting people to pay for virtual items in an unmade game.

The post above and my copy and paste view on Star Citizen are exactly he same. The only difference is Kosumo is more mature and a better writer. Good post though.

AFAIK CR is doing this as 'his baby', not necessarily to pay the bills.

Remember, the guy has plenty of his own money, and doesn't need to do anything to live out the rest of his life in significant comfort.

The limitations provided by a publisher are exactly why a publisher can't be a part of what is essentially a very commercialized 'hobbyist' project.

There's a saying : don't judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree.
Some people just want to make something cool in their time, not maximize their income/value.

I personally know folks with tens of thousands of dollars worth of [things like] C&C machines in their basement, that they use for making whatever tickles their fancy. If the machines pay for themselves in time, then that's just a bonus.

-scheherazade

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GeForce Beta Drivers
19. Re: GeForce Beta Drivers Apr 7, 2014, 17:50 Scheherazade

Optional Nickname! wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 16:09:
FYI: These stated performance increases, with their seemingly large gains are historically measuring gains in the smallest FPS measurement which is typically the MIN FPS score. Not the average FPS, nor the MAX FPS score.

Expressing the score this way, as a percentage gain in MIN FPS, rather than a more familiar numerical FPS gain tends to be more dramatic and mathematically impactful. Do the math yourself, just for fun.

However any gains in MIN FPS, everything else being equal, is always welcome.

Personally, that sells the numbers pretty well.

Min fps is my main metric for judging performance.

-scheherazade

News Comments > GameSpy Shutting Down Services
39. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 02:30 Scheherazade

There's always Qtracker : http://www.qtracker.com/

-scheherazade

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
173. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 27, 2014, 10:53 Scheherazade

Quboid wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 10:05:
GL1zdA wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 07:38:
Cliffy on Oculus Acquisition:
http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/80832803371

I know he's not Mr. Popular but I think he's spot on on pretty much every point.

He sounds like he's stuck in 'walled garden' land.

He says :
(A) "IF their system is going to be (hopefully) a dedicated system instead of a (ugh) peripheral they need their version of whatever the app store would be."

(B) "At the end of the day the fact that programming god John Carmack and up and coming tech god Palmer Luckey BOTH think this is a good fit SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING."

(C) "While it might have been interesting for a dedicated gaming company to purchase Oculus it might have ultimately limited their potential in regards to the myriad of things that the Rift is capable of. I want games, but I also want virtual tourism. PTSD treatment. End of life quality comfort care improvements. Treatment for a variety of fears. Architectural visualization. Pilot training. Scuba training. The list simply goes on, and on, and on."

A)
This is the reverse of what is good and bad.
A peripheral is generic.
OR + <mouse and keyboard>
OR + <gamepad>
etc.
As a peripheral, it's a great visualization element that you can pair with your favorite control scheme.
Soon as it becomes a visualization+control bundle, you're narrowing the audience to folks that like that combo, or annoying people that don't want that combo but are forced to play with it just for the OR.

But then again, maybe this guy is the kind of person that looks back fondly on the power glove, then sure, gimmicky stuff like that must sound great.

B)
Tells me that $2B can do a lot of convincing. Pretty sure I'd be convinced of a lot of things for $2B.

C)
PTSD treatment, scuba training, etc, all these applications are possible with or without Facebook involved.
If a scuba training software company wants to use OR, they can. (Even better so as a peripheral, paired with their own tailored control scheme)

There's no benefit [to the rest of us] to Facebook getting an early foot in the door providing a plethora of OR applications (and along the way patenting the crap out of a plethora of things related, doing its best to make sure smaller specialty companies can eat poo and die). Remember, these days you can draw boxes labeled "provide beneficial user stimulus" and that's good enough to patent.

Granted, facebook can provide these applications with or without OR ownership.
However, if buying an OR causes money to flow to facebook, then facebook will do its best to make sure it has a maximally exclusive foothold over as many OR/VR domains as possible. Which means crushing competition.

I now see OR going the way of many other niche tech companies. (Like Ultimate Ears).
Bought out. For a few years everything looks good.
Then a few years later the quality takes a nose dive, the parent company milks it for as much profit as possible, and the carcass is left to rot as a shell of its former self, eventually fading away as people find replacements that aren't yet compromised, offered by other companies that are still waiting for their turn to be picked apart by 'bottom liners'.
Management doesn't care about company health down the road. That's after they no longer work there, and is irrelevant.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2014, 11:27.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
26. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 14:11 Scheherazade

Every time I read "This is the first generation where a new console comes out and is slower than the contemporary PCs" ... I want to face-palm.

Just because back when earlier consoles came out, current-time article authors only had experience with their parent's as-cheap-as-possible-crap-machines with 58 internet explorer toolbars, and 224 background processes, does not mean that back then 'good' PCs were slower than consoles.

I had [iirc] 6800 SLI at the time xbox 360 came out. My friends would try out my games and were floored by how great it looked compared to their consoles.

xbox1 was in the gf3/9700pro time range. Same story.

The only time console ever blew away PC, was back before vesa came out with in place buffer shifting (which finally enabled side-scrollers on PC).

I'm not gonna make the price argument - a half decent PC has always cost more than a console. A good one costs a lot more.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2014, 14:19.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2014, 17:37 Scheherazade

Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:32:
Scheherazade wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:24:
Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:09:
So many of you liberals have absolutely no idea what you ask for, cause you have no idea what it's like outside your basement and lofty ideals. Go join the forces, do something for our country, experience the world, and come back wise.

The forces don't go elsewhere and make a living for themselves in a different culture.

Their time is paid for by the government/state. (Government employment : Pretty much the most leftist occupation you can have)
They don't have to experience life in other places.
They live on bases, in a different world than the nation they're located in.

-scheherazade

Spoken like a basement liberal.

Libertarian, actually.
That's right of center, FYI.

-scheherazade

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2014, 17:24 Scheherazade

Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:09:
So many of you liberals have absolutely no idea what you ask for, cause you have no idea what it's like outside your basement and lofty ideals. Go join the forces, do something for our country, experience the world, and come back wise.

The forces don't go elsewhere and make a living for themselves in a different culture.

Their time is paid for by the government/state. (Government employment : Pretty much the most leftist occupation you can have)
They don't have to experience life in other places.
They live on bases, in a different world than the nation they're located in.

-scheherazade

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2014, 16:38 Scheherazade

I really wish Netflix had taken the ethical highground.

Personally, I'd gladly deal with 320p video just to keep Comcast from double dipping me.

I already paid Comcast for my bandwidth.

Now Netflix pays Comcast, so Netflix prices go up, and I [the Netflix customer] pay the increased price.
Which just means that I'm in effect paying Comcast, AGAIN.

So annoyed.

I'm switching to FiOS.
Not a joke.
I'm letting the household know today.
F this.

-scheherazade

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2014, 11:48 Scheherazade

This is outright stealing.

I paid for my bandwidth.

How the heck can a company just say :
"Well, I know you paid for X bits/second, but instead of providing it, we're going to go out of our way to throttle you, so that we can hit up your content provider for more money".

B.S.

What's next on the plate?
Charge more for delivering emails that looks like they have something important inside?
Charge extra for financial transactions?
Charge extra for filing your taxes?

This is insanity.
Bandwidth is bandwidth.
The ISP has no business even knowing what we are transmitting.

It's not like UPS or the Postal Service are opening each box/letter and checking if what's inside looks important and they can charge you extra for it.

... and ...
I wonder how much of this data inspection capability stems from the ISP's love fest with the NSA/etc. Once the snooping capability is in place, just use it to detect video streams... or payments ... or whatever else they could want to charge you more for in the future.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2014, 19:47 Scheherazade

Man, the BBS days...

I hardly touched Quake1 or even the internet, because I was too busy playing Doom2 and Warcraft2 on BBS'.

It's like I missed out on an era - because the previous era was so damn fun I couldn't quit

-scheherazade

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2014, 10:25 Scheherazade

MAG looks neat. Sort of a zergy BF.

Had no idea it even existed.

-scheherazade

News Comments > WoW to Add Level-up Purchases
31. Re: WoW to Add Level-up Purchases Jan 17, 2014, 14:37 Scheherazade

I'd give them 5 bucks to power level me to 90.

I'd give them 25 to power level me to 89 ^^

-scheherazade

News Comments > Call of Cthulhu - The Video Game Revealed
4. Re: Call of Cthulhu - The Video Game Revealed Jan 17, 2014, 14:36 Scheherazade

Lovecraft != destroyed New England architecture.

Run down, in places, sure. But not destroyed.

The places in his stories were lived in (well, other than when the main character was visiting ancient ruins).

-scheherazade

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
37. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 14, 2014, 18:32 Scheherazade

Keep in mind (as some have posted earlier), this happened before the movie started.

Also, note that the shooter was an ex police officer.

The last statistic I read, indicated that the murder rate among police officers is 8x that of the general population. (*Not* work related).
Basically, tread lightly around them, they can go off at any moment.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2014, 22:46 Scheherazade

The issue is that:

If these were real customers, then they have a basis for their review, and they have a right to stay anonymous.

If they were not real customers, then they have no basis for their review, and they get no legal protection for their anonymity.

So you end up with a chicken vs egg situation.

In order to determine if these people have a basis for their review, you have to unmask them.

Once unmasked, you get to find out who they are, and subsequently you find out if they have a right to stay masked.

But at that point, for those that had basis, it's already too late.
Their right to remain anonymous was already violated.

(AFAIK this right is the same that protects the anonymity of news informants)

The court has decided that since it can't prove that the reviewers were real customers (and can't prove that they weren't either), it will just assume that they weren't and will relieve them of their rights.

The burden of proof is on the accuser, which is why this decision is so out of place.

-scheherazade

News Comments > John Carmack Developing Oculus VR Games
26. Re: John Carmack Developing Oculus VR Games Jan 8, 2014, 19:43 Scheherazade

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 18:58:
Scheherazade wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 16:59:

IMO, the downfall will be if people miss their normal displays.

That will happen if folks have to sacrifice on important features that they are currently taking for granted, but will be forced to face when those features are gone.

Pixel density is image clarity.
Giving up on image clarity is kind of a big deal, for a new display technology.

The reason I personally can't see me adopting the occulus for day-to-day use, is that I already know I'd miss the clarity.
I miss the clarity even nowadays when I have to use a 1080p display, so it's certain that I'll miss it with 1/2 1080p.

Hell, 4K has me more excited than occulus. In a few years a new connection standard will come out that can push it at 120hz, and the GPUs catch up, and I'll be smiling ear to ear.

I'll still buy an occulus, just to mess around with it. But I know (in its current state) it will end up like 3D Vision: Fun for the few hours I used it.

(Best part about 3D vision was finally getting 120hz 2D 1080p flat panel displays... finally catching up to the 113hz 1600x1200 CRTs I was stuck with for so long, eating up desk space.)

-scheherazade

Hey we all have our own things we like. I'm not excited at all for 4k on a flat monitor, if that can make a nice difference in VR than great. But personally I don't feel a need for more resolution.

You mention every day, i'm still expecting to take these off to browse Blue's and to only wear during gaming. Unless someone can prove to me otherwise, however not expecting or asking it do be used for non-gaming type things.

I'm ok with Minecraft gfx vs Far Cry Gfx if the gaming is good and fun. Same will be for pixel density, even though i want it to be quality to. I understand the steps needed to get there and won't poo poo it, otherwise we'd have nothing today. You don't have a 4770K without a 286.

I meant 'day-to-day gaming'.

Dual 1080p displays is today's tech.
The demoed setup had the 1080p OLED from a [supposedly] galaxy S4. Just throw two of those bad boys at it
(BTW, those screens are on the order of 'tens of dollars' at the OEM level.)

Future tech would be waiting to get a 3840x1080 or 5120x1440 micro display that could be fitted directly in front.
That would be a cleaner solution.
TBH, if they were willing to do that, have Samsung make a custom display for them, I would be fine paying the increased unit cost, just to have a better product.

PHJF wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 18:25:
I doubt GPUs (or the reasonably priced ones) will ever catch up.

I remember playing quake1 at 320x200 at 30 fps.

If I fire up gl quake (or whatever engine mod) right now, at 2560x1440 it's many many many hundreds of fps. Pretty sure it pegs at 1000 because 1ms is the smallest integer frame time it can calculate, which limits the readout to 1000ms_per_second/1ms=1000fps.

Tech will move along, like it has.
Unless there's a resource war in the mean time - amongst the powerful nations.

You should see what the modern SLI setups get at 5760x1080. 3X 1080p.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_sli_review,22.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_sli_review,23.html

4K UHD (not 4K DCI) is 4X 1080p, not that big of a step up from 3X 1080p.

A 2 or 3 generations down, the top shelf single cards will pull good fps, and SLI mid range will run well too.
Consumer TV adoption of 4K will force GPU makers to cater more to resolution, so it won't be too long.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 20:25.

23. Re: John Carmack Developing Oculus VR Games Jan 8, 2014, 16:59 Scheherazade

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 16:26:
Scheherazade wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:56:
Old VR headsets were ass.

Even the Occulus is 'meh' (resolution sucks, even the 1/2 1080p HD version sucks. They need 1080p per eye, or 1440p per eye, to 'wow'.).

Soon as someone makes a 'nice' headset that isn't a fortune, VR will be here.

IMO, the pitfall of some of these products is that in order to make them 'affordable', they nerf them so hard that they're not 'desirable'.

I simply wouldn't bother using a 1/2 1080p HMD, when I have a full rez 1440p monitor. I want the pixels more than I want the immersion.

We each have our desires, I'd give up some rez for immersion any day. I do now when I go to many indy games by choice due to game play enhancement, otherwise I would be EA's and Activisions bitch.

They have said all along where they are and ultimately where they want to be. You can get to the end now without taking steps. The main thing is they do their first release right. If they don't they just sent this back another decade. 1080P to me won't be the downfall if the sum is solid.

IMO, the downfall will be if people miss their normal displays.

That will happen if folks have to sacrifice on important features that they are currently taking for granted, but will be forced to face when those features are gone.

Pixel density is image clarity.
Giving up on image clarity is kind of a big deal, for a new display technology.

The reason I personally can't see me adopting the occulus for day-to-day use, is that I already know I'd miss the clarity.
I miss the clarity even nowadays when I have to use a 1080p display, so it's certain that I'll miss it with 1/2 1080p.

Hell, 4K has me more excited than occulus. In a few years a new connection standard will come out that can push it at 120hz, and the GPUs catch up, and I'll be smiling ear to ear.

I'll still buy an occulus, just to mess around with it. But I know (in its current state) it will end up like 3D Vision: Fun for the few hours I used it.

(Best part about 3D vision was finally getting 120hz 2D 1080p flat panel displays... finally catching up to the 113hz 1600x1200 CRTs I was stuck with for so long, eating up desk space.)

-scheherazade

16. Re: John Carmack Developing Oculus VR Games Jan 8, 2014, 14:56 Scheherazade

JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 11:17:
These VR headsets were a "craze" 15 years ago, then they disappeared. Suddenly they are reappearing a few years ago, and still only a handful of people seem to care.

Old VR headsets were ass.

Even the Occulus is 'meh' (resolution sucks, even the 1/2 1080p HD version sucks. They need 1080p per eye, or 1440p per eye, to 'wow'.).

Soon as someone makes a 'nice' headset that isn't a fortune, VR will be here.

IMO, the pitfall of some of these products is that in order to make them 'affordable', they nerf them so hard that they're not 'desirable'.

I simply wouldn't bother using a 1/2 1080p HMD, when I have a full rez 1440p monitor. I want the pixels more than I want the immersion.

If I didn't have to sacrifice on pixels, then the immersion would sell it for me.
I would grudgingly give up ~$300 for a 1/2 1080p HMD. (knowing I would try it out just for kicks, then put it on a shelf and never use it again. It'd be money to burn.)
But I would happily give up ~$1000 for a full 1440p HMD. (knowing that it would get used all the time, and I'd get my money's worth)

I was using 2048x1536@85hz back in 1995.
My flat panels were all ass resolution (1920x1080). I'm tired of rez going backwards.
I finally managed to get a decent resolution with 2560x1440@120hz with the Korean displays.
Why in the world would I want to go backwards to 1/2 1080p. The thought of it evokes the memory of Picard&Riker facepalm.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 15:07.

News Comments > Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum
18. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 14:52 Scheherazade

yuastnav wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 10:01:
Necrophob wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:13:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 08:58:
6vs6 is going to be EPIC!
This game is on the wait and see list. The more details they release the less excited I get about it.

6 vs 6? It's so weird. Back in the early 2000's, I didn't play as many games or follow what was going on, due to college, but I seem to recall games supporting more and more players in multiplayer. At what point did the gaming world get hit by a massive meteor, wiping out all the progress that was made?

If we are talking about competitive and tactical games then it becomes unfeasible to have larger teams.
In Counter-Strike you have 5vs5, like in most other team-based games with such clan structures. Then there are exceptions where the game is balanced for 6vs6, like Natural Selection, but I have never seen anything larger.
There are of course also games like Planetside but this is already a different beast since you don't really have that close group of people.

Natural selection works well with twice that many players.
12v12 lets each team work with 2 squads of ~6.
Effectively having two 6v6 matches on the same map, on two fronts.

The game swings more wildly, with more ground lost/gained in more areas. People have to do more load balancing as teams try asymmetric pushes, which also leads to more scouting. So all in all, the game improves, IMO.

-scheherazade

News Comments > BF4 Connectivity Issues; Double XP Postponed
16. Re: BF4 Connectivity Issues; Double XP Postponed Dec 31, 2013, 13:58 Scheherazade

siapnar wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 13:45:
Bucky wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 13:22:
With all that said, I still play almost daily. Those 'only in Battlefield' moments are addicting, and there's no other game that provides that fix. Where else can you cover an ATV in C4, send it flying at an enemy tank only to have another enemy tank crash into him, and then blow them both sky high while watching from a safe distance?
Same, I have a ton of fun with it.

The game runs completely stable for me ATM, and looks and runs very well with some tweaked settings.

I paid $30 and got more than my money's worth so far.

IMO, the BF4 counter-strike mode is really good (hardcore + plantTheBomb).
That alone has made the game worth it for me.

Usually I like to play jets, but they need to buff the stealth jets a LOT (non-attack-fighter guns are squirt guns right now), and expand the max flight distance a LOT.

BF1942 had great fighter combat, with really good flight distances.
All the modern ones are "fly for 3 seconds, run out of room, turn around"

-scheherazade

133 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo