Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ask Me

Real Name Ask Me   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scheherazade
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 28, 2001, 23:01
Total Comments 184 (Novice)
User ID 9185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
96. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 12:03 Scheherazade

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 11:54:
Sugarman wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 06:20:
There's nothing keeping the peons from grouping up on me.

See but not even a few posts after your first and nothing even that pointed towards you, people saying they are ok with you spending whatever you like, good luck. But that is how a forum works, there is nothing keeping people from... If you take an unpopular position, you need to be able to deal with it. It's not like no poster here hasn't been on that side, we all have, deal.

Then you have to drop "peons". See you have money and with that it has gone to your head, you start setting up class scales in your head.

To me this game right now is no more or less than even the cheapest indy game. It will have a release (well we hope in this case) and then it has the same rules as all the rest. Is it worth the time and money to buy into?

So no matter how much praise or how much bitching there is, to me there is always that moment of "Is it worth a buy?". I question this game to hell and back because it fails on a lot of warnings we've been raised around. I don't like to miss patterns and fall for "it" again. But if it is close to what they tell us, the dude is going to get some serious praise for a long time.

So I'll leave with a positive saying for the game "no guts, no glory".

He didn't drop " peons".

Post #68 did, and Sugarman was referring to it.

Julio wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 06:08:
Sugarman wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 05:33:
Actually I'm in for over $3200...If I have it to spend/waste then what business is it of yours to say how I spend it?

It's not my business how you spend your money. Star Citizen sounds like it's the perfect thing for you. You should put more into the game.

Shooting down the peons in their starter space craft while cruising around in luxury sounds like great entertainment...

-scheherazade

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

95. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 11:56 Scheherazade

Julio wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 06:23:
Sugarman wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 06:20:
you merely paint me as some fanatical fanboy.

Putting in $3200 alone gets you the fanboy t-shirt.

Different folks have different incomes and different expenses.

$3200 would buy me 1 set of new tires and 2 [cheap] front rotors.
(Throw in some driving events or track time and the money flies.)

Some people are fortunate enough that dropping a few k on a hobby once in a blue moon isn't that big a deal.

Plus not everyone has the same taste in hobbies.

-scheherazade

6. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 12:06 Scheherazade

I hate REC. Its a freemium treadmill. One of my most dispized gaming phenomena.

That said, I get why its there.

Arena commander is not SC. Its a minigame within SC. (That just so happens to be all we can play ATM).

They want items in SC to carry over into AC, but not from AC into SC.

SC has risk (permadeath, costs of operation).
AC is a risk free mini Sim.

No one would bother earning things in risky SC if they can do it risk free in AC.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 15, 2015, 16:12 Scheherazade

xXBatmanXx"Feb 15, 2015, 13:17]Sad to see evolve at the top, all the videos I have watched of the game it looks very boring. Is anyone here playing it, have any input?

Played it with a coworker and his buddies. It was a good fun. Expected it to be bad from all the negativity going around, but was pleasantly surprised.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 3, 2015, 04:42 Scheherazade

Creston wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 22:44:
ldonyo wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 13:10:
According to the new definition of broadband (25/3), none of those plans is actually broadband. Certainly none of them is a good deal if you have any other option for Internet service.

Hughes Net is absolutely terrible. Completely inept installers, shoddy equipment, they cheat you on your data caps, and even their "bonus bytes" are still fucking metered. My direct neighbor had Hughes Net when I moved in here, and when he found out I was a tech guy, he asked me to look at his internet connection which hadn't worked for months. He had Hughes Net (and of course the problem was on their end, and they refused to fix it.)

It does beat dial-up, and it can provide service in areas where there's literally nothing else available, but those are the only two things it has going for it. In every other aspect it's worthless service.

The only thing I hope this may do is force AT&T and Verizon to up the caps on their LTE service to something usable. I would probably use AT&T's LTE if it came with a 200GB cap.

"does beat dial-up" - not when it comes to ping :\

-scheherazade

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Barrett Brown sentenced to 63 months for 'merely linking to hacked material Jan 22, 2015, 20:58 Scheherazade

Cutter wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 19:27:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 18:46:
I read the story headline, does that make me an accessory? They'll never take me alive!

Sounds like where he belongs. He was an accessory to a crime, tried to cover it up, threatened people, etc. and now he treats it like it's all a big joke and that he's some sort of working class hero. The guy clearly needs psychiatric help as well as the time he received to reflect on how dumb he's been.

AFAIK he did nothing more than publicly state what he read folks in anonymous say in irc chats. (The guy is a minor journalist,writing articles in online media like the onion).

(Keep in mind that he was there checking for leaked revelations about govt connections with online industry, as it pertained to his writing)

That in turn got him branded by the mainstream media as an 'anonymous spokes person'.

Then when the FBI got on him for his 'anonymous ties' he hid his computer at his mom's place - which was his only actual "crime".

After his moms house was raided, he got all pissy and online threatened to sue the shit out of the cop he perceived to be a major part of the ordeal. (I watched that video months ago when it was in another article about him)

Somewhere along the line his writings about various online hacks got parsed by LE and they decided that therein contained links to hack info make the public hacks "more public" and he is liable (ironically, for a greater initial sentence than the actual hackers).

His defense didn't anticipate a great sentence, on account of the government failing to produce charges that were actually defined by law as crimes, short of hiding a laptop. Everyone thought time served would be his only sentence.

The crap president this sets is that now when a chain I shop at gets hacked, I have to decide if its worth the risk to look up the CC list to check if my card is on it. I might be better off not knowing and letting fraudsters use my CC if the act of finding out would transmit the CC list to my machine and make me liable for spreading the info.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2015, 21:15.

News Comments > MS: Windows 10 "Best" OS Ever Created for Gamers
43. Re: MS: Windows 10 Jan 16, 2015, 12:39 Scheherazade

Lorcin wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 12:25:
Ludomancer wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 12:05:
I'd still be happily using winNT if MS just didn't let it go extinct. Someone tell me now: What's been introduced since NT that couldn't have been done so in a patch?

Well 64 bit support on the kernal might be a bit hard to patch in. Oh and which version of NT do you mean after all technically XP is Windows NT 5.1 and Windows 8.1 is NT 6.3.

This.

In any case, there are 3 reasons why windows is best OS for gaming :

1) It's the only [non-console] OS that has a large quantity of games available for it.

2) Of all [non-console] OS', it has the most consistently high video driver performance.

3) Of all [non-console] OS', it has the simplest HID setup (m/kb, + joy, +controller, +head tracker, +whatever. The installs are either PnP, or install drivers and it 'just works').

-scheherazade

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 5, 2015, 16:47 Scheherazade

Translation :

Due to the accumulating evidence that the attack was no more than lay hackers using leaked credentials from disgruntled ex employees, we decided that the best way to save face is to double-down on the propaganda and prevent further examination/discussion of the matter.

I wonder how 'leaving breadcrumbs-to-NKorea' (basic prima-facie evidence) works as a form of legal protection when hacking.

Basically, with the massive anti-NK hard-on that the government has, it's all over anything that makes NK look bad. Imagine how much the government would at this point NOT want to admit that some lulz-or-whoever asshats did it. They'd at best try to catch the perpetrators on something unrelated, but never would it blame them for the hack.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2015, 17:12.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released
67. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 19:07 Scheherazade

nin wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 16:40:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 16:26:
Arena Commander 1.0 Release - More of Everything (including bugs)

Wow, sounds like a mess.

As an engineer/developer, I'm not bothered or concerned about the dev progress so far, it's basically normal. The pace and response time is as expected for a couple-hundred person operation (actually, on the faster side TBH). Weekly builds of any given large program are in no better shape than this.

1.0 connection issues suck, it's unfortunate that the public version had the connection issue creep up as folks were heading out for break.

Also, there was a little bit of PEBKAC in his video (a very little).

-scheherazade

62. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 14:50 Scheherazade

Kosumo wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 14:43:
I call bullshit on all that Scheherazade - How can you know that is how it is going to play out? Because thats how some guy call Christ Roberts says it will be?

I have no idea why people are putting so much faith (and money) into his project - he has not release any games in over a decade.

As pointed out above, they are stuggling to even get a consistant canon (story universe) togeather, let alone making it into playable form, let alone fun.

I'm calling it, He's got no idea what the fuck is happerning, he's just marketing it away as hard as he can. Ship sales, ship ads, t shirts and even a convention (before their is even a game!) selling weapons for you ships ($18 if you want some 'rail guns' I think)

It's about a year since Arena Commander was released (maybe 10 months) and it's taken them up to this date just to patch it to what they are calling 1.0 yet still alpha. And it is only a hack of the crysis engine playing zero G fps in a small box with a few at best ships, even then it sounded like they did not know how they wanted it to play.

To think they will ever get to a point where they have a game and all these ship in anything like a balance system is a sad joke - they will nerf and buff stuff for years only to add more balance breaking ships.

One thing is for sure - This can't be worst than the Wing Commander movie directed by him (can it?)

Hu? I never said how anything would play out, I don't follow.

-scheherazade

60. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 14:33 Scheherazade

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 09:43:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 08:14:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 06:43:
waiting for the $9.99 or less single player version.
And people wonder why niche genres die out.

Considering this game has already made like $55 Million, niche games seem to be making a huge comeback.

The Star Citizen business model discounts people like me honestly.. they are literally making millions off a small fraction of their eventual audience, all the extremely eager pre-release ship buyers are funding this game. Me buying it 6 months to a year after release at a discount just looks good on their sales totals when they go to make their next game.

*EDIT*

I do understand your concern though, and I have supported the current crop of RPG and ARPG Indies:

Divinity: Original Sin
Wasteland 2
Grim Dawn
Pillars of Eternity

all either pre-ordered or had their Kickstarters contributed to by me, so I can understand how people who are REALLY into the old Space Sims got drawn into Star Citizen's promises. I am a fair weather Space Sim fan at best, it's been like 15-20 years since I went crazy over TIE Fighter, for example.

Kinda like MWO - funded by the hardcore fans, who were told they'd get a hardcore mech 'simulator'.

Let's hope that unlike MWO, SC doesn't switch gears and get reworked to a watered down least common denominator non-sim.

-scheherazade

59. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 14:12 Scheherazade

The ships are basically fundraiser swag.

The prices have nothing to do with any difficulty level of attributing them to your user account, nor do the prices scale proportionately to the usefulness of the ship.

The prices track the in-lore rarity of a ship more than its in-game power. There are nice/rate variants of weak ships that cost as much as base model variants of better ships.

eg.
300i for ~$60
350R for ~$100 (bit weaker, bit faster, not 'better' per se - but much rarer in lore. Patently NOT 2x the value of a 300i.)

Hornet for ~$100 (more guns, more health. slower - 300 series can simply run away)
Freelancer for ~$100 (better at trade - but worse at fighting. slower)
Cutlass for ~$100 (better at piracy - worse at fighting. slower. Kinda in between 300i and Freelancer.)

There are also variants of the Hornet/Freelancer/Cutlass that cost more - but like the 300i->350R, their price goes up while their utility is basically the same as the base model.

There is only 1 remaining 'jack of all trades' ship that's over ~$100, and that's the Constellation, which can be had for ~$150 for the base model.

The rest of the game's expensive ships are large and/or specialized - basically guild/org workhorses/mules that need either protection or crewing or whatever to make them useful beyond flying from A to B with something less than ideal for simply flying around.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2014, 14:24.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 18, 2014, 16:50 Scheherazade

I don't like how ISPs shake down people who are trying to communicate.

Roku pays its ISP to send and receive traffic to their location.

Folks using Roku pay thier ISPs to send and receive traffic to their locations.

Then people's ISPs come along and say:
"You already paid us for sending and receiving data to your location - but we won't let you use your already-paid-for bandwidth until the entity you're communicating with also pays us."

Imagine paying for a phone line, and you go to call your brother, but your phone company refuses to connect you until your brother agrees to pay a subscription fee to your telco.
Folks would be incensed... but if an ISP does it, somehow it's tolerable.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2014, 16:57.

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 14:17 Scheherazade

But that doesn't mean its makers ought to be allowed to feel comfortable dismissing its critics in the most derisory fashion imaginable.

"Allowed"?

WTF?

Who the hell is this guy, and why does he think he's in a position to "allow" anything to anyone?

Seriously, F this dude.

Goddam' parasite. Seriously, this is where the world's problems come from. D-bags that want to force themselves onto other people.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 11, 2014, 19:52 Scheherazade

Isn't the MPAA a private organization?

Is there any actual _enforceability_ to their private opinion?

-scheherazade

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 10, 2014, 04:22 Scheherazade

I'm thinking...

If the ruling stems on the concept that the screenings are not a part of the job - then the employees shouldn't participate in the screenings since they are not part of the job.

Then when they are fired for not participating in the screenings, they should sue for wrongful termination, and then in turn get the screenings recognized as being part of the job.

Then they can return to this issue and get it sorted out.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Titanfall Deluxe Edition Released
5. Re: Titanfall Deluxe Edition Released Nov 20, 2014, 00:37 Scheherazade

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 21:33:
So what ended up being the consensus on this game? Was it any good?

NPC swarms killed the game. Everyone I know who tried it, that was their #1 complaint.

You start playing, you feel like you're doing well, then you realize that you're killing trash mobs. Then you realize that you've gone a long while and have yet to fight another player - until you have a giant robot showdown (which is over soon enough, and it's back to NPC fest).

Literally everyone IRL I talked to that played it, had the same reaction. Sourness over the low player density, and AI clutter.

And I'm not saying that the teams weren't full. They were full.

That said, it was a well produced game. Good quality visuals, positive controls.

-scheherazade

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Oct 31, 2014, 14:17 Scheherazade

Some chick dev slept with a dude reviewer ... (gee, how ever did they meet?)

Screams of impropriety ensue from dozens of uninvolved sources.

Feminists and anti-feminists latch on for lack of anything better to do.

Click bait ensues.

Yawn

-scheherazade

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 28, 2014, 00:15 Scheherazade

I'm bugged that this stuff is removed.

I'd much rather it be put behind a censor wall where you simply ack that "yes I am an adult old enough to see big boy pictures".

I really don't need other people deciding for me what I'm fit to see or not see.
If a pic poster wishes to express himself to me or any other willing communicator, I don't appreciate someone else deciding that we shouldn't communicate.

-scheherazade

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 24, 2014, 23:55 Scheherazade

AFAIK the planet side stuff was initially to be more simple, a-la privateer, where you just transition from room to room and talk to fixers, etc.

The full-on FPS started off as a 'maybe we'll do this' feature that they worked on in the background on a trial basis, as a sort of enhanced planet side thing.

Not wanting to over commit, they didn't release much info about it, and the team working on it was jokingly referred to as [redacted]. Then the name stuck.

The actual company, as far as anyone knows, is IIRC 'illfonic'. But since it's never been officially verified ... well, you know how that goes.

In any case, that's my impression of what's been going on FPS wise. I could be full of shit, so don't take this as fact.

Actual info will be released at the upcoming PAX Australia.

-scheherazade

184 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo