Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blaine Baker

Real Name Blaine Baker   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ice Nine
Email ice_ix@hotmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 28, 2001, 02:31
Total Comments 50 (Suspect)
User ID 9163

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Free Weekend
15. No subject Jun 21, 2008, 11:41 Ice Nine

The Meet The... series of videos and this free weekend opportunity have put me in the mood to give TF2 a fair shot, but so far it's very ho-hum to me. Any given team is composed of at least 50% pyros right now, and they get boring to pick off. I was pleased to see more teamwork in the pubs than in other games like Quake Wars, but I'm still not sure if this game is worth a purchase. So far, it seems to me like they should have just called it Team Fortress Again rather than Team Fortress 2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Limbo of the Lost & Oblivion Similarities
19. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 15:09 Ice Nine

I love how blatant this is. I'll play Limbo of the Lost if I can go to Rosethorn Hall and check out all the cool daedric shit I put in the cabinets

News Comments > Free Postal 2: Share the Pain
12. No subject May 26, 2008, 07:42 Ice Nine

That was nice of them.

News Comments > Gold - Lost Planet Extreme Condition COLONIES EDITION
6. Why Now May 15, 2008, 06:44 Ice Nine

Dunno why this game sticks around so much. It's a completely mediocre ho-hum 3rd person shooter. Why oh why didn't they choose Dead Rising instead...

News Comments > Mass Effect/Spore DRM Changes
11. No subject May 9, 2008, 16:17 Ice Nine

Paragon +24

News Comments > On Mass Effect & Spore Copy Protection
179. Re: Pay + Crack May 7, 2008, 01:27 Ice Nine

Yeah, I don't mind telling them it's OK. It is OK, because they'll never in a million years come up with a scheme that someone else won't break. Hell, it makes me wanna start up my own crappy copy protection agency. Anybody else know of a business where your product can fail and you still get paid?

News Comments > On Mass Effect & Spore Copy Protection
175. Pay + Crack May 7, 2008, 01:14 Ice Nine

Dunno if anyone mentioned this, since I haven't browsed pages of comments, but it is a fact that this scheme will be broken in short order. If you wanna support a developer, buy your game, then crack the ever loving hell out of it so you don't have to put up with nonsense. They get their money, you get your convenience. Simple.

News Comments > Crytek to End PC Exclusives
122. No subject Apr 30, 2008, 16:14 Ice Nine

DE-FENSE! *clap clap clap*

I don't care what I said I was right all along and I'll never back down!

News Comments > Crytek to End PC Exclusives
99. No subject Apr 30, 2008, 14:16 Ice Nine

Am I too late to join in? Who's got the biggest e-peen? From casual observation it looks like dsmart's ahead with TOTAL KUHNOWLEDGE OF BIZNESS AND EKONOMIK.

*ahem*

As a PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS who's been working on Crysis 2 since COMMODARE was out, I'm REALLY peeved that you didn't go into a STOAR and by the first of the crises after playing the demo. SUPAR SUITS aside, some of you went MAXIMUM THEFTERS and went to THE PIRAPE BAY or ISO*UNT and used your YOU TORRENT to get this game which is maximum fun any way you slice a sandwich. then you had the unmitigated gall stones to install it and have fun which in my experience was just NIGH IMPOSSIBLE. And whats worse when the KOREANS got SUPAR SUITS which was my plot element I thought of watching golden girls in the tub, you said F THIS NONSENSE THEIR CLOAKS ARE LONG LASTING LIKE LISTERING and undeleted it.

I agree with dsmart you guys are fn pirate slave hoarder kings and he is the internet genius to solve the mystery so EAT THAT TASTY PICKLES

News Comments > THQ Director Blames Piracy for Iron Lore Closure
97. Actually It Sorta Does. Mar 4, 2008, 20:27 Ice Nine

It matters because enthusiasts such as ourselves are the ones pushing the industry and generating the most sales in games and performance PC hardware. The DRM arguments, the no-demo piracy arguments, all of that is reflected on the purchasing decisions made by the people who makes the greatest number of purchases. If developers like Iron Lore are oh so smart, they wouldn't be crying on the Internet about their company failure. They'd be neck deep in a new title like Will Wright and his team. If devs and publishers listened a little more to the community outcries regarding the various problems with the PC gaming industry, they stand to perform a lot better. It's not like this is all rocket science and deep economy discussion. These are simple comments like "maybe if you didn't make it so hard to play legitimately you'd sell more units to consumers".

News Comments > THQ Director Blames Piracy for Iron Lore Closure
92. PSP vs DS Mar 4, 2008, 16:06 Ice Nine

The handheld scene is actually a great microcosm as to the overall effect of piracy on a device. Piracy for DS and for PSP is ridiculously simple, and only slightly more difficult for DS due to the fact you need to purchase additional hardware for it to work. Nevertheless, the DS creams the PSP at every opportunity. Why is that?

Quality. You just can't beat quality for moving units. It's a pretty well-known fact that PSP games, on the whole, are terrible. There are only a few AAA titles that make the system worth a purchase, but apart from that the modding community actually pushes the PSP a lot farther than it would have gone by itself because it adds a lot of functionality like emulators, comic book readers, chat apps etc. that make the PSP worth a purchase.

Now, consider the DS. It's a monster. Lots of people (including me) thought it was a stupid idea and would crash and burn. However, the developers stepped up to the task and used the input method in innovative ways to create experiences that couldn't be had on any other platform. This simple fact means that even though there's tons of horrible crap games for DS, the hardware and software will still move because the available quality is great.

I think one could easily argue that in the case of PSP, piracy has actually helped it, and in the case of DS, piracy hasn't killed it because the quality of titles is so great it will move units among pirates and regular consumers alike. Nobody wants to blow that big a chunk of change on a gamble that maybe the game doesn't suck horribly, and similarly most people who resort to piracy still have a modicum of conscience and will purchase something they enjoy, for the purpose of supporting the developer. Titan Quest, at best, was a lukewarm diablo clone, and the people who pirated this game (you know who you are) learned that really fast. If you test-drove a car and you didn't like it, would you buy it just because you sat in it? The flood of titles in the PC market makes consumers more discriminating in their tastes, and PC gamers especially demand quality (or they would be buying consoles and console games which is a decidedly less expensive route to take). If you can't provide the AAA quality that PC gamers expect, develop for another platform.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 16:07.

News Comments > Orb Bringing Console Games to PCs
16. Orb? Feb 21, 2008, 01:53 Ice Nine

Um, there's already a really great product called orb. Curiously, the url is ORB.COM. It is also a tool used to bring content from one location to the other. I see this name changing soon.

News Comments > Molyneux: PC Gaming "Huge Tragedy"
24. No subject Feb 20, 2008, 16:59 Ice Nine

"everyone's got a PC"

This isn't xbox territory; it's kind of apples and oranges. It's more accurate to assert everyone bought a 499 PC from a brick and mortar store. The PCs that most people own are totally incapable of running about 60% of what's on PC game shelves, so to be on the safe side they simply don't buy any. Either bring down the system requirements like PopCap and BigFish (who make excellent games btw, even if they're all variants on 10 and 20 year old concepts) or get system builders to start bundling good decent budget 3D acceleration into systems.

Edit: this is partly why WoW is so successful. The sysreqs are low enough that even Macs were running them before macintel got big.
This comment was edited on Feb 20, 17:05.

News Comments > Fury Goes Free, Bad News to Follow
18. No subject Dec 11, 2007, 16:49 Ice Nine

I'm pretty sure the follow-up news is going to go something like this:

"Well, we tried, and we can't even GIVE it away, so we're shutting it down. Now. Clean out your desks!"

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Q3A Dec 3, 2007, 14:10 Ice Nine

Those reviewers don't know anything ^^

They tried to amalgamate Quake II and III together to create some sort of consolized hybrid everyone was supposed to like. Nobody liked it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: No subject Dec 3, 2007, 13:54 Ice Nine

Well, since you have the computer autocorrecting your aim and it's a one hit kill I guess you are just too 1337 for mere mortals

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DARKNESS WITHIN
1. 2nd chance Nov 27, 2007, 15:15 Ice Nine

I may] give this a second chance. The demo was broken and you would suddenly end up with items you never picked up.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. No subject Oct 29, 2007, 12:39 Ice Nine

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 12:40.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. No subject Oct 29, 2007, 12:39 Ice Nine

.co.uk

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 12:40.

News Comments > Crysis Demo Released
89. Pop-in Oct 27, 2007, 13:55 Ice Nine

A lot of people are referring here to the object pop-in. I put all the settings to "high" and didn't have any pop-in, but when I dropped them to "medium" there was lots of pop-in. One of the options probably deals with it; just put that one to high and then leave everything else where it is. It's really a trade-off on the power of the system for framerate, not something you're forced into. The game is simply designed to be played as we've been seeing the videos, on the best available hardware, not on even on a prev-gen beefy video card like a 7900GTX.

50 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo