Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Derek Smart

Real Name Derek Smart   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dsmart
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://thedereksmart.brandyourself.org
Signed On Feb 26, 2001, 14:53
Total Comments 835 (Graduate)
User ID 9141

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
124. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 19, 2015, 11:38  dsmart 

Flatline wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 16:03:

1. Taking DS at face value, this is easy. There is no proof/transparency from SC other than emails proclaiming all is well (until it isn't) so DS is relying on his real world experience designing a contemporary game and his experiences building games similar in scope with older hardware. Is it a plug for his software? Yeah probably but BFD.

2. In the lack of discussion of how the architecture of SC is going to work even on a fundamental level, we have no proof other than going by experience and looking at other technology. Lots and lots of people have talked about this at length, both in and out of the industry, and *nobody* can come up with an answer as to how this game will function as advertised. At this point a 5 with the Chairman on how the data structure of SC is going to work to pass trillions of items of data around, real time, with no delay, would go a long way to silence the technical critics. But they're silent on that. Very silent.

Legitimate technical questions have been raised. We haven't received any kind of an answer in return. So we're left to do what we can with what we have.

3. Oh FFS grow up. There's a shitload of people who aren't thrilled with SC. He even links to blog entries and shit. What do you want a directory with the names and email addresses of everyone who might share an opinion with DS?

Again, the general consensus with these people is to attack the messenger, while ignoring (regardless of merit) the message.

The thing is that they've been doing this for years now, squashing dissent among the backers asking the same questions.

The difference being that, this being me, jumping into the fray brings a recognized voice to the discourse, thus making myself a target for these people.

That's the MO.

btw, that "Internet Warlord" description didn't even come from me. I found it humorous (like the Desktop Commander video that's been floating around for decades), so I quoted it for context.

This is the guy who came up with that on Twitter. To avoid confusion, I have since updated my article to reflect where this came from.

https://twitter.com/EvilBobDALMYT/status/575417187558518784

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

121. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 17, 2015, 09:50  dsmart 

Quinn wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 09:27:
dsmart wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 08:30:
Zandog wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 02:41:
In short: Until Derek is FULLY transparent with his own arguments and WHO it is he is apparently workign with on this little crusade of his, then his articles amount to nothing more than conspiracy theories based on lots of opinion, and conjecture and nothing much else.

TL;DR but sorry, that's not how it works. When the media, bloggers etc write stories, nobody asks them to cite sources. Get real.

The fact is that, anyone who thinks that me, a public figure, would write stuff in public that I wasn't sure of, opening myself to legal (which is why I always run these articles through legal first) action, is a fool.

my latest article, Interstellar Justice, is now online.

I generally agree with you, but be careful with that TL;DR thing. Your articles take some long seconds to scroll through

I know. The problem is that there is so much stuff, that cutting things out is going to lose context. Which is why I keep breaking them into sections so people can just skip.

Thanks for pointing that out, I will keep trying to keep them short. But most of the stuff is already in three articles anyway, and the NYT ad is going to be short anyway, since it's only one page with limited space.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

119. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 17, 2015, 08:30  dsmart 

Zandog wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 02:41:
In short: Until Derek is FULLY transparent with his own arguments and WHO it is he is apparently workign with on this little crusade of his, then his articles amount to nothing more than conspiracy theories based on lots of opinion, and conjecture and nothing much else.

TL;DR but sorry, that's not how it works. When the media, bloggers etc write stories, nobody asks them to cite sources. Get real.

The fact is that, anyone who thinks that me, a public figure, would write stuff in public that I wasn't sure of, opening myself to legal (which is why I always run these articles through legal first) action, is a fool.

my latest article, Interstellar Justice, is now online.

116. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 16, 2015, 15:55  dsmart 

LurkerLito wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 15:51:
dsmart wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 15:21:
And you just said it yourself. It was told to us, after the fact.
Ha interesting, I didn't even notice that. Well I wish you luck in that pursuit.

I am stuck regardless since I went direct to RSI with my pledge. But since I am only in like < $30 I don't much care as long as they deliver me Squadron 42. I am fairly certain they'll cobble that much together at a minimum and it was all I wanted in the first place.

Yeah, it's a slippery slope. And I mentioned it in this new podcast from yesterday.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gameon.cfm/cast/99

112. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 16, 2015, 15:21  dsmart 

LurkerLito wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 15:14:
dsmart wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 14:43:
No. That's not how it works. They are separate. I pledged on KS to a product. I never pledged, knowing that my product, would be tied to another entity (RSI).

It's all be through legal, so I know what I'm talking about.

That's why I indicated that, in the event of a catastrophic loss, only the KS backers ($2.1m) have any recourse to get money back, depending on how much - if anything - left, if/when this whole thing collapses.
That doesn't sound right, it was told to you that your pledges were linked to your RSI account in the email update on 11/30/2012.
From the email:
Kickstarter Linking

We’ve had a lot of questions about the Kickstarter linking process. Everyone is wondering when their pledge will appear on the site. The answer is that it may take another two weeks: Kickstarter gives pledgers a grace period to confirm their payment before we’re allowed to send out the end-of-campaign survey collecting your information. Once that period is over, we will send out the survey through Kickstarter to collect the relevant information that will allow us to link the pledge to your account. Once we have that in hand, we will begin the process of linking your pledges to your RSI account, note due to the large volume of transactions and time allowed for people to complete the surveys this will not be an immediate process. For those who added money for Kickstarter add ons, you’ll be given a ‘credit’ at RSI which you will then be able to divide into the add ons you purchased on Kickstarter, including those no longer available like the Vanduul, M50, etc. Kickstarter users will automatically have access to the lower price add ons and extra tiers that those who registered for the RSI site before 11/26 have. Also note that the winners of the referral contest will be announced after the Kickstarter pledges are integrated; we can’t give away the big prize until everyone has had a chance to list their referrals!

And you just said it yourself. It was told to us, after the fact.

109. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 16, 2015, 14:43  dsmart 

LurkerLito wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 14:23:
dsmart wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 14:39:
They refunded my pledge through both KS and RSI.

Fact is, the KS one, is straightforward.

The RSI one, is bullshit. They had no cause to terminate my account, thereby robbing me of my tangible goods (which I could use, trade, sell). I didn't violate their TOS, and even then, I got no warning.

I look forward to reading the next articles, but just FYI, your account was terminated most likely because it is tied to your KS pledge. Once they refunded you the KS money, they were well within their rights to terminate the account it was linked to since the backer rewards are tied to that pledge.

No. That's not how it works. They are separate. I pledged on KS to a product. I never pledged, knowing that my product, would be tied to another entity (RSI).

It's all be through legal, so I know what I'm talking about.

That's why I indicated that, in the event of a catastrophic loss, only the KS backers ($2.1m) have any recourse to get money back, depending on how much - if anything - left, if/when this whole thing collapses.

88. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 15, 2015, 17:30  dsmart 

Kxmode wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 16:50:

I don't believe you can use their Signed On date as a way of saying how long they've visited the site. Many people lurk for years before signing up for an account.

P.S. To all you anonymous lurkers, sign up! Join the conversation.

Good point.

84. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 16:41  dsmart 

descender wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 15:34:
Seriously man, why do you think anyone here cares about any of this?

What possessed you to use Blue's forum as your personal sounding board for this crap in the first place? The only thing I can figure is that he rarely ever bans anyone, so it's a safe place for "the way you are" online.

You do realize that I started coming here before you did, right? RIGHT?! But don't let that stop you from your regularly scheduled shit-posting

News Comments > Op Ed
102. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2015, 15:17  dsmart 

Overon wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 17:55:
Nobody reads each other's posts unless they are from people they like or dislike or are inflammatory.

I'm going to say something controversial, wait for it.

What are Derek Smart's motives? I don't know I'm not in his head and have to show some epistemic humility because I don't know his thoughts or feeling and have to speculate. I don't feel confident to say one way or another. Would not commenting about his new game in his editorial remove the charge that he's doing this for promotional reasons? Yes it would. Was it smart to include promotion of his game in his post? Depends on what his motivations were.

I don't like what passes for good arguments on the internet. It's irrelevant if Derek Smart is a toxic unjustifiably arrogant narcissistic self promoting pathological liar. Even pathological liars don't lie all the time. So again epistemic humility is called for. Instead of addressing the allegations that Derek Smart made, the response is that he's toxic and we are going to give him a refund. Why not just address his arguments. Even if the response to the argument is "Not true." But instead we have arguments against the character of the person making the claims. Doing so is a logical fallacy and shouldn't convince anyone of anything except that the claims are are still in the air.

If Adolf Hitler said that 3+3=6 it is irrelevant that Adolf Hitler was a moral monster as far as the truth of 3+3=6 is concerned. If Nelson Mandela said that the sky is green like grass it would be irrelevant that he was a moral hero as far as the truth of the sky being green like grass is concerned. If Derek Smart was motivated by promoting his upcoming game and that is what motivated him in making a controversial post, it is irrelevant to the truth of his claims and demands. Just address the allegations, put your detractor's in their place by addressing their claims not attacking their motives or their character, no matter how repugnant they may be.

Just going to leave this here. Then walk away.

I have been following many a thread on the Internet since this shit-storm started. I knew, going in, that this is precisely what would happen once I raised these points. And because it's me raising the alarm, the attacks would be fast, and furious.

None of this bothers me. People, through the years, have shit talked me for decades. Meanwhile, I'm still here, doing what I love, making games.

And in all these shit-postings, they keep citing urban legend bullshit, passing it off as fact, and which is what prompted me to even write this blog, The Gaming Urban Legend, after sitting down with legal to discuss what was about to be an industry-wide shit storm once I started writing these articles.

We knew that, right off the bat, if/when it gets to court, they were going to attack my credibility, experience, credentials (!) etc. So I put it all out there, so they don't waste their time going to court (or in depositions) and focusing on bullshit that they should already know. Also, so that they know they can't scare me into silence, by trying to use bullshit to discredit me. I am an exceptionally intelligent individual, and so I tend not to make decisions like this, without good reason. Not even in jest.

See, the thing is, attacking someone with nothing to lose, is a non-starter. And it doesn't kill the message, or the messenger.

The fact is, most of these complaints have been going on for some time now, in small forums, news posts etc. They had no effect. Well, guess what Susan, all it took was for me to write one single article, Interstellar Citizens, to get the ball rolling.

In fact, it was to be a single piece. I split it into two parts because in the interim, I reached out to my industry colleagues via Facebook, in order to see if there was a way to get CR on board with some transparency. I gave him a week. They ignored it.

That's why I wrote Interstellar Discourse, which was the original article which I had split up. Some in the media, and the industry, have had access to that second part all last week, while it was going back, and forth with legal. So they knew what was in there, and what was coming. And most in the media, told me they were doing their own investigations. Those articles are going to start hitting soon. And that's why the real fun begins.

These articles, at great risk of abuse to myself, were written because I believe it to be the right thing to do. I wrote them out of sheer love for this industry, and for the mere fact that a bunch of people in the industry Boys Club, were about to, once again, do profound stupid shit which would have long term ramifications (which I outlined in the second article) for us as gamers, and gamedevs. Many years from now, everyone will see that I was right.

And it was because of me, that all this is now being discussed. People are asking questions, asking for refunds etc

Others are just attacking me, dragging up my past (which is hilarious for so many reasons) in order to taint the message, and discredit the messenger through character assassination. It simply won't work. This is not Usenet. This is not last year. This is today, where we are way more prolific in seeking answers, and seeing beyond the bullshit.

The simple fact of the matter is that, this is now a wild fire. The chatter is going to continue, lawsuits are going to emerge, the FTC, from what I know, is going to get involved. ALL of this is going to happen, and NONE of it can be stopped.

I did that.

People keep saying that I am self-promoting. I mean, seriously, think about this. You don't ask a brain surgeon to comment on nuclear fusion. You don't rely on some anon person in a forum, if you want to get meaningful results.

Similarly, I mention MY history, and MY games, on MY blog, because I have that history of making massive, complex, multi-genre games. As such, I know all the pitfalls, the challenges etc. Line Of Defense, just so happens to be such a game, though a lot smaller in scope, and not as visually advanced. It is because this, that what I'm saying, keeps getting traction far and wide.

They know that I am the single most significant threat to this house of cards, simply because I have everything I need to challenge it all. All of it. Both from a business, and a dev perspective. Whether as an expert witness to someone else's lawsuit, testifying to the FTC etc, I have everything that's needed to be profoundly effective, and credible. And I'm going to do just that.

When my second article hit, they refunded my $250 pledge, without asking, nor without me requesting it. I never wanted, nor asked for, a refund. Various sites asked me about it, and PC Gamer decided to investigate.

I updated the Interstellar Discourse article to reflect what had happened; I also cited the sections used to justify the refund. It's at the very bottom.

The RSI one, is bullshit. They had no cause to terminate my account, thereby robbing me of my tangible goods (which I could use, trade, sell). I didn't violate their TOS, and even then, I got no warning.

I have never - ever - posted on RSI forums. Like, never.

The only time I have ever been to that forum is to read the latest dev updates. My PA (Lisa) also used my account about a year ago, to report some defamatory "Derek Smart" threads, via the CS reporting tool. The threads were removed.

This is why, when asked by PCG in the above report, they had no immediate answer as to what I had violated.

Aside from that, after I got my refund, and tweeted about it, another person who had been trying for MONTHS to get a refund, decided to try as well. To his amazement, they did it - immediately.

So people thought that they were now refunding all the KS backers. That wasn't the case.

A word about this. The KS backers of the $2.1m pledge, have a stronger case than those who pledged $83 through the RSI site. Even though the TOS isn't worth the napkin they constructed it on. So this means that, having failed to deliver to KS backers, they have a much bigger problem there. But that's only $2.1m. They could very well refund all of it, if they had the money.

What they didn't plan for, was this poll. Which, initially, around 500 votes, had a whopping 31.5% of people pushing for the right to ask for a refund. Once they saw that, my guess is that they feared that if they allowed it, and opened the floodgates, they would be looking at a significant financial losses.

So, they did two things when they released this libelous statement.

1. They used me as a scapegoat, saying that mine was a special case, because, you know, Derek Smart is the devil and all that. In other words, don't expect us to give you a refund just because you asked.

2. They disparaged me by making FALSE statements implying that I had somehow violated the TOS, hence my account being yanked. Here's the problem they have now. It's FALSE.

3. They took me out of the equation, thinking that by not being a backer, takes away my right to question ANYTHING about the project, or its funding. It also made sure that I couldn't be part of any lawsuit, or FTC investigation, since I was no longer a backer, and thus had no cause.

In fact, in my second article, I asked for them to hire a forensic accountant hired by backers. Had they agreed to that, as a backer with the means to do it, I'd have made one phone call to my CA attorney's office, and made it happen. Just like that.

Aside from that, this person, is Eric "Wingman" Peterson, currently working on what my industry sources tell me, is another impending crowd-funding disaster, Descent Underground. Scroll to the end to see his bio. He goes way back with CR and others from back in the day. What he posted is FALSE. I would remember it. Because I tend to post shit like that online, not in email.

So, the Boys Club I wrote about in my article, are using their forum to libel me. Yet, I get my account yanked for writing an article seeking answers. And they are rallying their fanboys to attack, and discredit me, all across the net, in order to take attention away from the real issues with the project: ACCOUNTABILITY.

And setting aside the above, the scary thing here is that they yanked my accounts, took my items, and with NO justification other than the fact that I'm making noise. They are pretty much saying that neither I, nor anyone with a known RSI account, can badmouth them or the project, without running the risk of their account, and items, being yanked. And people cheering this action against me, are OK with this.

The other problem they have is, by being unable to PROVE - beyond a reasonable doubt - that they didn't yank my account because they didn't like me making noise, writing articles etc, they have created a very big legal, and public relations problem.

Setting aside the privacy violations of not only publicly shaming a customer, but also making false statements.

And on top of all this, they have pretty much given validation to the notion that, aside from all the hyperbole that some would say are evident in my articles, there is something that worries them in what I am writing in my articles. Why else would they attempt to kick me out, or to silence me? What did I do ON RSI SYSTEMS that would warrant such an action?

Here's the thing. It changes nothing. Them yanking my account, and items, doesn't change the fact that I owned them, they took them illegally, libeled me etc amid my articles, and the flurry of press and discussions surrounding them. All they've done, is given me ammo, and cause to do something that I simply didn't want to do. That being either sue them, or join the lawsuit currently being worked on by the group in CA that I mentioned in my article.

They talk about transparency, yet, they haven't addressed a SINGLE one of the 7 issues I raised in the article. The fact that people don't think that CR allegedly flying around in private jets, or hiring his brother and wife to high profile positions, accounting for the money, etc let alone the issues with the project, is telling.

I have two more articles in the works. The 4th and final, is going to be a lot worse than the the 2nd. The 3rd one is almost a recap this post, but with more information.

That is all.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2015, 15:23.

76. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 14:39  dsmart 

Overon wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 17:55:
Nobody reads each other's posts unless they are from people they like or dislike or are inflammatory.

I'm going to say something controversial, wait for it.

What are Derek Smart's motives? I don't know I'm not in his head and have to show some epistemic humility because I don't know his thoughts or feeling and have to speculate. I don't feel confident to say one way or another. Would not commenting about his new game in his editorial remove the charge that he's doing this for promotional reasons? Yes it would. Was it smart to include promotion of his game in his post? Depends on what his motivations were.

I don't like what passes for good arguments on the internet. It's irrelevant if Derek Smart is a toxic unjustifiably arrogant narcissistic self promoting pathological liar. Even pathological liars don't lie all the time. So again epistemic humility is called for. Instead of addressing the allegations that Derek Smart made, the response is that he's toxic and we are going to give him a refund. Why not just address his arguments. Even if the response to the argument is "Not true." But instead we have arguments against the character of the person making the claims. Doing so is a logical fallacy and shouldn't convince anyone of anything except that the claims are are still in the air.

If Adolf Hitler said that 3+3=6 it is irrelevant that Adolf Hitler was a moral monster as far as the truth of 3+3=6 is concerned. If Nelson Mandela said that the sky is green like grass it would be irrelevant that he was a moral hero as far as the truth of the sky being green like grass is concerned. If Derek Smart was motivated by promoting his upcoming game and that is what motivated him in making a controversial post, it is irrelevant to the truth of his claims and demands. Just address the allegations, put your detractor's in their place by addressing their claims not attacking their motives or their character, no matter how repugnant they may be.

Just going to leave this here. Then walk away.

I have been following many a thread on the Internet since this shit-storm started. I knew, going in, that this is precisely what would happen once I raised these points. And because it's me raising the alarm, the attacks would be fast, and furious.

None of this bothers me. People, through the years, have shit talked me for decades. Meanwhile, I'm still here, doing what I love, making games.

And in all these shit-postings, they keep citing urban legend bullshit, passing it off as fact, and which is what prompted me to even write this blog, The Gaming Urban Legend, after sitting down with legal to discuss what was about to be an industry-wide shit storm once I started writing these articles.

We knew that, right off the bat, if/when it gets to court, they were going to attack my credibility, experience, credentials (!) etc. So I put it all out there, so they don't waste their time going to court (or in depositions) and focusing on bullshit that they should already know. Also, so that they know they can't scare me into silence, by trying to use bullshit to discredit me. I am an exceptionally intelligent individual, and so I tend not to make decisions like this, without good reason. Not even in jest.

See, the thing is, attacking someone with nothing to lose, is a non-starter. And it doesn't kill the message, or the messenger.

The fact is, most of these complaints have been going on for some time now, in small forums, news posts etc. They had no effect. Well, guess what Susan, all it took was for me to write one single article, Interstellar Citizens, to get the ball rolling.

In fact, it was to be a single piece. I split it into two parts because in the interim, I reached out to my industry colleagues via Facebook, in order to see if there was a way to get CR on board with some transparency. I gave him a week. They ignored it.

That's why I wrote Interstellar Discourse, which was the original article which I had split up. Some in the media, and the industry, have had access to that second part all last week, while it was going back, and forth with legal. So they knew what was in there, and what was coming. And most in the media, told me they were doing their own investigations. Those articles are going to start hitting soon. And that's why the real fun begins.

These articles, at great risk of abuse to myself, were written because I believe it to be the right thing to do. I wrote them out of sheer love for this industry, and for the mere fact that a bunch of people in the industry Boys Club, were about to, once again, do profound stupid shit which would have long term ramifications (which I outlined in the second article) for us as gamers, and gamedevs. Many years from now, everyone will see that I was right.

And it was because of me, that all this is now being discussed. People are asking questions, asking for refunds etc

Others are just attacking me, dragging up my past (which is hilarious for so many reasons) in order to taint the message, and discredit the messenger through character assassination. It simply won't work. This is not Usenet. This is not last year. This is today, where we are way more prolific in seeking answers, and seeing beyond the bullshit.

The simple fact of the matter is that, this is now a wild fire. The chatter is going to continue, lawsuits are going to emerge, the FTC, from what I know, is going to get involved. ALL of this is going to happen, and NONE of it can be stopped.

I did that.

People keep saying that I am self-promoting. I mean, seriously, think about this. You don't ask a brain surgeon to comment on nuclear fusion. You don't rely on some anon person in a forum, if you want to get meaningful results.

Similarly, I mention MY history, and MY games, on MY blog, because I have that history of making massive, complex, multi-genre games. As such, I know all the pitfalls, the challenges etc. Line Of Defense, just so happens to be such a game, though a lot smaller in scope, and not as visually advanced. It is because this, that what I'm saying, keeps getting traction far and wide.

They know that I am the single most significant threat to this house of cards, simply because I have everything I need to challenge it all. All of it. Both from a business, and a dev perspective. Whether as an expert witness to someone else's lawsuit, testifying to the FTC etc, I have everything that's needed to be profoundly effective, and credible. And I'm going to do just that.

When my second article hit, they refunded my $250 pledge, without asking, nor without me requesting it. I never wanted, nor asked for, a refund. Various sites asked me about it, and PC Gamer decided to investigate.

I updated the Interstellar Discourse article to reflect what had happened; I also cited the sections used to justify the refund. It's at the very bottom.

I have never - ever - posted on RSI forums. Like, never.

The only time I have ever been to that forum is to read the latest dev updates. My PA (Lisa) also used my account about a year ago, to report some defamatory "Derek Smart" threads, via the CS reporting tool. The threads were removed.

This is why, when asked by PCG in the above report, they had no immediate answer as to what I had violated.

Aside from that, after I got my refund, and tweeted about it, another person who had been trying for MONTHS to get a refund, decided to try as well. To his amazement, they did it - immediately.

So people thought that they were now refunding all the KS backers. That wasn't the case.

A word about this. The KS backers of the $2.1m pledge, have a stronger case than those who pledged $83 through the RSI site. Even though the TOS isn't worth the napkin they constructed it on. So this means that, having failed to deliver to KS backers, they have a much bigger problem there. But that's only $2.1m. They could very well refund all of it, if they had the money.

What they didn't plan for, was this poll. Which, initially, around 500 votes, had a whopping 31.5% of people pushing for the right to ask for a refund. Once they saw that, my guess is that they feared that if they allowed it, and opened the floodgates, they would be looking at a significant financial losses.

So, they did two things when they released this libelous statement.

1. They used me as a scapegoat, saying that mine was a special case, because, you know, Derek Smart is the devil and all that. In other words, don't expect us to give you a refund just because you asked.

2. They disparaged me by making FALSE statements implying that I had somehow violated the TOS, hence my account being yanked. Here's the problem they have now. It's FALSE.

3. They took me out of the equation, thinking that by not being a backer, takes away my right to question ANYTHING about the project, or its funding. It also made sure that I couldn't be part of any lawsuit, or FTC investigation, since I was no longer a backer, and thus had no cause.

In fact, in my second article, I asked for them to hire a forensic accountant hired by backers. Had they agreed to that, as a backer with the means to do it, I'd have made one phone call to my CA attorney's office, and made it happen. Just like that.

Aside from that, this person, is Eric "Wingman" Peterson, currently working on what my industry sources tell me, is another impending crowd-funding disaster, Descent Underground. Scroll to the end to see his bio. He goes way back with CR and others from back in the day. What he posted is FALSE. I would remember it. Because I tend to post shit like that online, not in email.

So, the Boys Club I wrote about in my article, are using their forum to libel me. Yet, I get my account yanked for writing an article seeking answers. And they are rallying their fanboys to attack, and discredit me, all across the net, in order to take attention away from the real issues with the project: ACCOUNTABILITY.

And setting aside the above, the scary thing here is that they yanked my accounts, took my items, and with NO justification other than the fact that I'm making noise. They are pretty much saying that neither I, nor anyone with a known RSI account, can badmouth them or the project, without running the risk of their account, and items, being yanked. And people cheering this action against me, are OK with this.

The other problem they have is, by being unable to PROVE - beyond a reasonable doubt - that they didn't yank my account because they didn't like me making noise, writing articles etc, they have created a very big legal, and public relations problem.

Setting aside the privacy violations of not only publicly shaming a customer, but also making false statements.

And on top of all this, they have pretty much given validation to the notion that, aside from all the hyperbole that some would say are evident in my articles, there is something that worries them in what I am writing in my articles. Why else would they attempt to kick me out, or to silence me? What did I do ON RSI SYSTEMS that would warrant such an action?

Here's the thing. It changes nothing. Them yanking my account, and items, doesn't change the fact that I owned them, they took them illegally, libeled me etc amid my articles, and the flurry of press and discussions surrounding them. All they've done, is given me ammo, and cause to do something that I simply didn't want to do. That being either sue them, or join the lawsuit currently being worked on by the group in CA that I mentioned in my article.

They talk about transparency, yet, they haven't addressed a SINGLE one of the 7 issues I raised in the article. The fact that people don't think that CR allegedly flying around in private jets, or hiring his brother and wife to high profile positions, accounting for the money, etc let alone the issues with the project, is telling.

I have two more articles in the works. The 4th and final, is going to be a lot worse than the the 2nd. The 3rd one is almost a recap this post, but with more information.

That is all.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2015, 15:24.

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
124. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 08:45  dsmart 

Zandog wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 02:48:
Bluesnews comments are a toxic cesspool of hate for Star Citizen. No wonder Derek Smart feels secure posting here. Reading the comments, a lot of you really have no clue of what's going on with the project and it's sad when people want an opportunity watch crowdfunding work, yet you Bluesnews followers want it to fail so badly. Is no one sick of big publishers shafting consumers with repeats and spin-offs? Wouldn't you like to see this project and game succeed?

Bluesews use to have technically mind, intelligent posters and commenters. It seems those people have been chased away. I've been a Bluesnews reader since 1997. I don't know anymore.

No you haven't. You created an account in 2009, to say...well, go look.

123. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 08:43  dsmart 

Kxmode wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 02:08:
Derek, I read your blog Interstellar Citizens. Great read by the way. I wanted to point out that someone on the Star Citizen Reddit made a point that made me sit up a bit, "but [CIG] are doubling German crew so hopefully fireing all Illfonic that never were up to the task." in response to the FPS being placed on hold. This sounds like a common sense solution that an agile scrum project such as Star Citizen would take. I always wondered why Illfonic - and not a Dice, Geargox or Valve - got the SC FPS contract without having published any work.

What do you think?

I don't believe that will happen because the CryTek guys they hired, are engine-level guys. They don't make games per se.

Also, there will be some trimming, but killing Illfonic, while I believe that it can, and probably will happen, I don't believe that it will be because of the Frankfurt office. I have another meeting with Cevat today. I will ask his thoughts and if it's not confidential, I will post what I know.

94. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 22:01  dsmart 

Drayth wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 20:55:
Could it be possible that the two recent departures were due mainly to budget reasons?

That ex-Blizzard guy is probably used to a rather fat paycheck, and with the crowd funding slowing down his cost / worth ratio may not have balanced out with their projected budget (NOT putting either of them down, this is about the huge budget demands Chris has created with the crazy scope of this game).

The departures are unrelated to money. The people I know who left, did so for other reasons that I simply cannot divulge.

But as I mentioned in my reply (which I will quote again below), the reason they have no choice but to continue selling these ships for a game that does not exist, is because without doing that, there is no money to finish the game. It really is that simple.

Good read. Thank you.

Have you offered your experience to Chris ?

Can you estimate the cost of running the operation as you understand it to be at the moment ?

Thanks.

Actually no, I have not offered my experience. Though we’re not direct competitors, I think it would either be inappropriate for me to do so, or his camp would probably regard it is as inappropriate.

Also, you must understand that there is also ego to consider in things like that. Regardless of the sincerity of the gesture, it would most likely be regarded as “going to Derek Smart for help“. See my latest blog post for reference.

And despite my qualifications, experience etc, it’s probably not something that would work for them. Because instead of looking at it as a team based effort like, say certain divisions at Apple still working with Samsung; or Microsoft with Google et al, it would be looked upon from a personal perspective. Our industry is full of drama, and ego driven bullshit, all of which involve making personal, rather than business minded decisions.

I don’t have the hard figures on hand atm. But as this is a crowd-funded project, full P&L accounting are one of the items that we’re going to try and obtain through direct or legal channels. However, currently, our estimates, and information from various sources, put it at a monthly burn rate of around $3m USD, with an income stream of around $500K per month.

The key to understanding the $85m raised to date, is not in how much they have raised, but how much they have left in the bank. It may not a lot; compared to what was raised. And that’s one of the primary issues that we’re trying to get a handle on because it will determine whether or not this project, as it stands, can be completed. If they stop selling virtual items, that would mean no more tangible funds for long term development, let alone on-going support.

92. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 20:06  dsmart 

So someone asked on my blog if I had offered my experience to Chris.

My response

91. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 20:05  dsmart 

Kosumo wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 18:33:

Ben has been drinking form the Kool-Aid dispenser again .... I feel sorry for those who can't see what is happerning with Star Citizen.

I have NO idea why people keep putting this on Ben. The entire pages said nothing. It was empty. Devoid of any meaning, context, or CONCRETE information.

It's his job. He's hardly going to come out and say it all FUBAR. That's Chris's job.

Really, that's all there was to it.

69. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 15:14  dsmart 

NKD wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 14:59:
Guys, I found a picture of the Star Citizen PR guy who posted this here.

LMAO!! We were just saying the same thing this morning in my FB feed

64. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 14:21  dsmart 

TotalBiscuit and crew weigh in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LILjYt5VaKE&feature=youtu.be&t=35m20s

56. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 13:50  dsmart 

Tumbler wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 13:48:
That's like saying you've been waiting for over 200 years for the second coming of Jesus.

... Inquisitive did you mean 2000 years? Because it's been approx 2000 years since he died. Was there an expected return of Christ in 1815 and so far nothing?

Yeah thanks, typo missing a zero

44. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 13:07  dsmart 

Task wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 12:57:
Been waiting for HL3 for 8+ years. SC for 3. 5 more years with SC and I'll reach the level of simply not caring like its been with HL3. I guess one major difference is that I can see one tangibly existing, and the other... Well who knows.

Not entirely sure why you've been waiting 8+ years for HL3 when in fact there was no product announcement, and nobody promised its existence.

That's like saying you've been waiting for over 200 years for the second coming of Jesus.

39. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 12:16  dsmart 

Will W wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 12:05:
dsmart wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 11:26:

Thanks. The usual clowns (see: nin) who only attack me, instead of having a discussion, are still here though.

I have no opinion of you personally, nor nin, but calling someone a clown isn't exactly the best way to NOT pick a fight IMO.

Absolutely good point. But it was in the spirit of his previous post directed me.

Yes - ought to know better.

835 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo