Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Derek Smart

Real Name Derek Smart   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dsmart
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://thedereksmart.brandyourself.org
Signed On Feb 26, 2001, 14:53
Total Comments 971 (Graduate)
User ID 9141

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Becomes Two Games Next Month
67. Re: Star Citizen Becomes Two Games Next Month Feb 2, 2016, 09:51  dsmart 

Yup, conspiracy theories abound  

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Star Citizen Becomes Two Games Next Month Feb 1, 2016, 15:59  dsmart 

Kxmode wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 13:49:
Posted on October 6, 2015 by Derek Smart:

dsmart wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 22:24:
By the end of the year, the decision will be made how to chop up the game in order to deliver something.

You heard it here first.

I'd say that was spot on.

Yes. New blog is up. Star Citizen - The Shafting

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

59. Re: RE: Nobody ever reads the subject...TRUMP FOR PRES 2016! Feb 1, 2016, 08:53  dsmart 

Rigs wrote on Jan 31, 2016, 12:17:
That all being said, I have to say that when I see someone saying they were 'promised' this or 'they have to do that'...um, no. You seem to forget that Kickstarter is not a store. Promises mean nothing for Kickstarted projects.
=-Rigs-=

No. That's pure and utter bollocks. And the Federal govt, as I've written in my blogs, has been quite clear about that - specifically.

When you make a promise to deliver something via crowd-funding, you ARE expected to deliver it. That's precisely why the FTC has taken action against several companies, as have some State attorneys.

Stop spreading bullshit because that's EXACTLY how a LOT of people ended up putting money in this shit and never getting it back.

They have walked back MANY promises (including promises made for even Squadron 42!), have thus far FAILED to deliver the game(s) they promised by Nov 2014. With the latest fiasco being the nerfing of Star Marine.

There is NO evidence that they will EVER ship either Star Citizen or Squadron 42 as promised.

The splitting into two games is yet another cash grab because they are fast running out of money, losing key talent and if they survive 2016, it will be a miracle of epic proportions.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2016, 08:59.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access
29. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 09:33  dsmart 

Arithon wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 04:12:
Horizons was released yesterday - NOT EARLY ACCESS, BLUE YOUR HEADLINE IS WRONG - Horizons was shipped after several weeks of beta, where 6 major updates were issued to address bugs and player feedback.

uhmmmm...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/419270/

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $100M
71. Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 16:44  dsmart 

How utterly unpredictable.

I'm shocked.

Completely.

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $100M
68. Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 14:27  dsmart 

This is just a milestone with numbers. It bears no relevance to the game's state.

And speaking of game state, I already predicted awhile back why they would rush something out ahead of 11/30 ToS deadline. That was August.

At this point in time, it all boils down to them rushing out a framework so they can legally hide behind the no guarantee of performance clause. Unfortunately for them, this being crowd-funding, delivering anything less than promised, is considered non-delivery.

Back in July I said that this game, as pitched, will never see the light of day. I stand firm on that assessment. That aside from the fact that they still do not have the tech for this game and are still trying to build it. Again, when I mentioned this months ago, people called me crazy.

Just like all the previous modules, this mini-PU will remain a buggy incomplete mess for months to come. Look at AC and how long that farce has been going on.

And with four studios worldwide and an estimated burn rate of around $3m per month, their inability to sustain that monthly level of funding is what's going to be their undoing before long.

SQ42 is going to be the next push since they have some room to sell that to new people, outside of the 700K "citizens" already entitled to it.

I still do not believe that the project will survive 2016. Yet, even with only around 10% of the game promised already out, they're still claiming that it will be finished in 2016.

Just in:

With $100M In Crowdfunding, 'Star Citizen' May Not Be A Scam, But It Feels Like A Cult - Forbes

News Comments > No SC Retraction from The Escapist
106. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 12:46  dsmart 

Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 04:01:
I'm starting to understand who is the real recipients of Chris and Ortwin's letters are. It's not The Escaptist. It's totally obvious because Ortwin knows he's doesn't have a legal case worth shit. No. These letters are designed specifically for the Backers. Read people's comments. A random one...

"This was long coming and I bow to Chris for such a epic reply. We have been waiting for an official answer for some time and the answer was just out of this world... So im off to get an Endeavor"

Crazy

Since GamesCom the funding stats have shown the bulk of infusion money is coming from existing backers, not new backer. Those letters are basically designed to deflect backer's attention away from the controversy towards being CitizenCon'ed (like that?). I've seen blindness before but this kind of blindness is magnitudes greater.

That's nuthin...http://imgur.com/FzdfbYQ

105. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 12:44  dsmart 

Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 02:55:

It's as Keith Cooper wrote in his September 14th letter to Ortwin.

The letter date is Oct 2nd. I think Keith's assistant didn't update the date macro

104. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 12:36  dsmart 

jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 01:48:
@ Derek,

Did you pledge under KS, or directly on the RSI website? As far as how it applies to keeping promises, does it matter? Since they involuntarily refunded you, does that mean you have lost your rights or not (given that it was involuntary)?

KS, but it doesn't matter since I had to create an RSI a/c to claim my pledge. Which is why when they canceled me, they did it in both places: KS and RSI

86. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 22:24  dsmart 

By the end of the year, the decision will be made how to chop up the game in order to deliver something.

You heard it here first.

78. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 20:49  dsmart 

Kxmode wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 11:34:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 10:56:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 09:59:
CIG won't file a lawsuit.

CIG has to protect its employees, therefore i see litigation in their future.

Pretty sure you're Wulf Knight; a WHALE of a Citizen to the tune of $22,000 (probably more). You were banned from RSI forums for basically hacking their system to buy a Javelin Destroyer. Of all backers you are the LEAST qualified to offer any kind of objective response.

Yeah, it's him. I wrote an entire blog about him yesterday.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
168. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 5, 2015, 20:43  dsmart 

The Escapist are not backing down from their story

Update: The Escapist, notwithstanding Cloud Imperium Games’ notice and posting, stands by its coverage of Star Citizen and intends to continue to investigate the developing story. Since publishing our original stories, we have been contacted by, and are currently interviewing, additional sources corroborating a variety of the reported allegations. Additionally, if Mr. Roberts’ offer for The Escapist to “meet the developers making the game and see how we’re building one of the most ambitious PC games first hand” remains open, we take the opportunity to accept such invitation so as to hopefully provide the public with sufficient information and opportunity to vet such sources’ allegations and claims for themselves. We have also communicated the foregoing directly to Cloud Imperium Games.

165. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 5, 2015, 17:07  dsmart 

in space noone can here you threaten a lawsuit

star citizen lawsuits and journalism ethics

News Comments > Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources
118. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 5, 2015, 17:06  dsmart 

in space noone can here you threaten a lawsuit

star citizen lawsuits and journalism ethics

109. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 4, 2015, 21:56  dsmart 

jdreyer wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 21:15:
Krovven wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 18:19:
What needs to be proven? Everyone knows. It wasn't a secret.

They were obviously trying to keep it secret, but whatever.

Yes they were.

btw if you haven't read this analysis yet of CR's letter, you should.

161. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 4, 2015, 21:55  dsmart 

btw, this is an interesting read  

160. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 4, 2015, 21:54  dsmart 

Quboid wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 19:50:
Regardless of the definition of doxxing, I think you should leave their daughter the hell out of it. That's just not cool. If you feel to need to put up a rebuttal to doxxing allegations, fine, but when your rebuttal is its self a dick move, you've done more than wasted your time.

I don't agree with a word Tumbler says, for what it's worth. I think that you are doing this for the right reasons and you have done a lot to encourage an important discussion, even if it is a discussion with more toxic emissions than a Volkswagon testing facility.

For the last time, stop trying to change the narrative. I have known about this since May. It never appeared in my blog or Twitter feed. Until someone made the connection and posted. And he didn't post it because of kids. It was Sandi, and the kid just happened to be in the picture. Like the millions of kids online in their parents pictures. sheesh

104. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 4, 2015, 18:10  dsmart 

Krovven wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 15:44:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 15:04:
Krovven wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 06:58:
Just gotta add, as I just found out, that the whole doxing of Chris's young daughter by these fucking lunatics...reprehensible.

Do we have a link showing that? The first time I heard about it was when Roberts mentioned it in his Escapist rebuttal, and DS denies he did it.

To save you from giving clicks to DSmarts blog and trying to dig through his cesspool... https://twitter.com/istheguy/status/648361204226891776

And that's the tweet that I retweeted. This person was doing his own digging in order to prove that Sandi and Chris was married

98. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 4, 2015, 15:27  dsmart 

jdreyer wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 15:04:
Krovven wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 06:58:
Just gotta add, as I just found out, that the whole doxing of Chris's young daughter by these fucking lunatics...reprehensible.

Do we have a link showing that? The first time I heard about it was when Roberts mentioned it in his Escapist rebuttal, and DS denies he did it.

I posted all the links in here

97. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 4, 2015, 15:25  dsmart 

If u haven't yet, watch this videocast  

971 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo