Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Derek Smart

Real Name Derek Smart   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dsmart
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.dereksmart.org
Signed On Feb 26, 2001, 14:53
Total Comments 792 (Graduate)
User ID 9141

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Line of Defense Tactics
17. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Jan 21, 2014, 17:03  dsmart 

Yup. You can pause the game at any time. And go make a sammich.  

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Jan 21, 2014, 16:31  dsmart 

As promised, the entire docs for the game are now online at http://lodmmo.com/tactics/

Gives a better idea of how the game itself plays. With this and the videos, you have no excuse for not being awesome.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

13. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Jan 21, 2014, 13:40  dsmart 

Oh wow. Hiya Beamer, been a while.

Beamer wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 13:38:
Welcome back, Derek.

11. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Jan 21, 2014, 13:17  dsmart 

Right. I see what you're getting at. But it's a toss up really. Can't please everyone.

But yeah, we do have hotkeys in the OSX/WIN versions for unit selection. After all, this _is_ a Derek Smart game, so yeah, hotkeys.

The manuals should be up on the website later today so you can take a look.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 12:40:
dsmart wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 12:18:
Sorry but you're wrong. The radial menu in _this_ game does not work like that. At all. Did you actually watch those videos?

Also, if you that think replacing a radial menu with a litany of single-purpose buttons is good UI design and "sux less", then you must probably love WoW

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 11:56:
dsmart wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 09:17:
Not sure why you'd think that a radial menu won't work with the mouse. That's just crazy talk. Especially since the UI was designed to be completely idiot proof.

I said they suck, not that they don't work... Sure they work, slowly. And that is great when idiot proofing a GUI for tablets, but it's annoying as heck for anyone who wants to get things done quickly Every time you "right click on a dude to do X" that could have been a single button and a click on target instead (on PC)

That said, mneh! I don't really care.. you make your games and you can do whatever the heck you want...

Haven't played WoW for ages, but I love XCOM Enemy Within.... and single purpose buttons of course not, why would they be single purpose. Hotkeys are assigned to slots, each character has different skills in slots, yeah that requires a skill bar but it does not require single purpose buttons. And a skill bar is faster than radial menus (except for touch interface)

I don't like radial menu is all. Never seen good ones, and the ones I have seen all sucked. X Rebirth for one.... ;p Maybe what you make is better.. who knows.

9. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Jan 21, 2014, 12:18  dsmart 

Sorry but you're wrong. The radial menu in _this_ game does not work like that. At all. Did you actually watch those videos?

Also, if you that think replacing a radial menu with a litany of single-purpose buttons is good UI design and "sux less", then you must probably love WoW

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 11:56:
dsmart wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 09:17:
Not sure why you'd think that a radial menu won't work with the mouse. That's just crazy talk. Especially since the UI was designed to be completely idiot proof.

I said they suck, not that they don't work... Sure they work, slowly. And that is great when idiot proofing a GUI for tablets, but it's annoying as heck for anyone who wants to get things done quickly Every time you "right click on a dude to do X" that could have been a single button and a click on target instead (on PC)

That said, mneh! I don't really care.. you make your games and you can do whatever the heck you want...

6. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Jan 21, 2014, 09:17  dsmart 

Be careful what you wish for. And so, here I am.

Anyway, the game works with keyboard+mouse or touch (in mobile and Windows 8 touch devices) controls.

News Comments > Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam
66. Re: Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam Apr 8, 2011, 09:46  dsmart 

Pankin wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 20:32:
This is rich. Derek Smart has posted twice (once after being swatted down by Blue himself) and no one has said a single syllable about it.

Is it backward day or something? Or has a callus replaced that part of our brains?

Swatted down? Really? Shirley you jest.

50. Re: Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam Apr 7, 2011, 18:36  dsmart 

Krovven wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 16:52:
This is the same guy that said Impulse was the #2 digital distro service...we already know he is clueless.

Yeah, that was bullshit and I called it back in 2009!

19. Re: Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam Apr 7, 2011, 14:41  dsmart 

Wolfox wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 14:15:
Impulse technologically superior to Steam?

Perhaps in the same way Elemental was a fantastic game on release, with hardly any bugs, and so much better than any other game in the genre. #NOT

Yah, Brad has quite clearly taken leave of his senses. Sure the tech is not bad, but superior to Steam? LMAO!!!

18. Re: Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam Apr 7, 2011, 14:40  dsmart 

This is what I said over at RPS, due to my not seeing a thread about it here.

Oh, hey everyone. Long time no rant. Been busy. ktnx bye.

News Comments > Line of Defense Announced
24. Re: Line of Defense Announced Feb 2, 2011, 11:18  dsmart 

grudgebearer wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 10:04:
dsmart wrote:

I meant it when I said it. And only returned because steps were taken to curb the antics of the anti-social misfits who troll the forums looking for a mark.

Maybe you should look at your life and try to recall the numbers of times you've said that you wouldn't do something, then go right ahead and do it anyway. And vice versa.

It always so nice to point the finger isn't it? Must be nice.

jfc...that was quick...I likened your statement about not posting here anymore to ragequitting in a game...which all of us have done at some point. I even put smilies in it for effect...you apparently missed the point that I was making...

I had no problems with your post. I only quoted it in order to keep my response in context.

And yes, the ragequit reference was actually appropriate as used.

21. Re: Line of Defense Announced Feb 2, 2011, 09:36  dsmart 

grudgebearer wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 09:31:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 22:20:
I am far to lazy to go an find it - but I could of swore you said you would never post here again....I am disappointed.

I blame Advocate....

Yeah...I was in that thread

Oct 16, 2009, 13:27 dsmart
"...Today marks the very last day that I post here. Life's too short and I simply can't be bothered anymore..."

People say all kinds of things when they are mad...sometimes they even ragequit gaming forums

I meant it when I said it. And only returned because steps were taken to curb the antics of the anti-social misfits who troll the forums looking for a mark.

Maybe you should look at your life and try to recall the numbers of times you've said that you wouldn't do something, then go right ahead and do it anyway. And vice versa.

It always so nice to point the finger isn't it? Must be nice.

15. Re: Line of Defense Announced Feb 1, 2011, 20:29  dsmart 

kxmode wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 19:42:
dsmart wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 17:21:
Unless you're really truly hardcore, you need not bother. It's like Eve. On steroids.

I always thought EVE was on steroids.

Nah. They're into that synthetic stuff over there. We're piping the real deal.

13. Re: Line of Defense Announced Feb 1, 2011, 19:35  dsmart 

Massively has interview and a bunch of exclusive screen shots up.

11. Re: Line of Defense Announced Feb 1, 2011, 17:21  dsmart 

grudgebearer wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 16:54:
So...this is a separate game from Galactic Command Online, correct?

Yes, we have two different MMO games in the works.

LOD is not the same scope (or features) as the much larger all encompassing game. It is a vastly smaller game, both in scale and scope. http://lodmmo.com

LOD, is like All Aspect Warfare, but is just a smaller scale, with much better visuals, has a small space component and is an MMO.

GCO is a behemoth. Thats putting it mildly. Basically it is an MMO game based on the Battlecruiser/Universal Combat type IP, complete with complexity and major niche. Unless you're really truly hardcore, you need not bother. It's like Eve. On steroids. With actual fps and planetary access. Without the spreadsheets. http://gcommo.com

9. Re: Line of Defense Announced Feb 1, 2011, 15:32  dsmart 

The Advocate wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 15:31:
Oh cool. Looking forward to trying it in open beta.

I am looking to start that early on so that we don't run into issues (technical, balancing etc) at launch. So hopefuly around the begining of Q3/2011 the public Beta should be well underway. I will of course give some keys to Blue to pass around.

7. Re: Line of Defense Announced Feb 1, 2011, 15:29  dsmart 

The Advocate wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 15:23:
Is the cel-shaded look from the screenshots due to wanting to have a lower point of entry to include older system and/or lower spec machines?

Not really, thats just the art style that I approved. We're not using cel shading at all.

Also, the color scheme in that base is for that continent only. The others (e.g. moderate are Greens with lush landscapes, grass, foliage etc, Artic is all snow, ice, some trees etc) are all different and so the color scheme for the objects have to be neutral enough for them to fit in since most of the units are used in all the bases on the continents.

There is an extensive FAQ on the site at http://lodmmo.com which has an entry about the system requirements.

5. Re: Line of Defense Announced Feb 1, 2011, 15:20  dsmart 

Keith wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 14:05:
Not much content on the LOD site yet. Screenshots look pretty good. Hopefully it isn't as clunky and hard to get into as the All Aspect series.

Yep. That [barren areas] was one of the biggest complaints we had with AAW and that was due to the fact that it was such a HUGE game.

No, LOD is not like that at all. Each of the bases and continents is being carefully hand crafted and it is easy since we have a smaller area to work with. This was in fact one of the primary reasons why we decided to build a new engine rather than use the All Aspects one.

Just wait until I release shots of the vehicles, the destroyed city where one of the bases is located etc.

There will be an open Beta later in the year, so everyone will get the chance to pitch in their thoughts.

News Comments > More QOL vs David Allen
6. Re: More QOL vs David Allen Sep 23, 2010, 09:33  dsmart 

I have updated my blog to include a clear and concise timeline of where we are and how we got here.

News Comments > David Allen vs. Quest Online Resumes
22. Re: David Allen vs. Quest Online Resumes Sep 20, 2010, 22:04  dsmart 

Everything is included in the affidavit itself that is referenced and attached to the TRO. There is only so much you can stick in a TRO petition. Plus the lawsuit encompasses all of that jargon as well.

792 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo