Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Derek Smart and Freespace 3?
48. Cost of license Jul 15, 2004, 21:54 Shadowcat

Well if Interplay was financially healthy, I'm sure the license would cost a lot. Unfortunately Interplay was in such dire straits that recently they were neither paying their staff nor their rent. Apparently they're still alive, so at least a little money must have turned up from somewhere, but I suspect that if there was ever a time when it was going to be possible to acquire an Interplay license cheaply, this is it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Monday Q&As
5. Re: Meridian 59 Jul 6, 2004, 18:57 Shadowcat

I always thought that Meridian 59 was 3D from the beginning? AFAIK what they're doing at the moment is sprucing up the 3D engine a bit so it looks better, not adding another dimension.

News Comments > Monday Q&As
1. Bet on Soldier Jul 5, 2004, 19:12 Shadowcat

I don't usually do this sort of thing, but the first two paragraphs about the game's back-story was enough to annoy me:

The World has been at war for the last eighty years but this war is different from the previous ones... It didn't start because of religion, or because one country wanted to take the territory of another one. Nobody really knows what has created this conflict.
So... perhaps it was religion, or territory scraps that started it, then?

As soon as they reach the age of 16, men and women are called upon to fight on the battlefields.
The war has been going for eighty years, and everyone goes off to fight at the age of sixteen? Either young teenage pregnancy is now a government-sponsered institution, or the population is completely f*@ked (so to speak).

Anyone, the game itself could be good. Maybe I'll find out one day in an interview that excludes discussion of the back-story

News Comments > Bizz Buzz
5. No subject Jun 9, 2004, 18:27 Shadowcat

Maybe I don't understand what "worker compensation insurance" is, but it sounds like the insurance company will pay the workers' salaries if the company goes bust and can't pay themselves. IF that is what it means, I want to know the name of the insurance company that agreed to this in Interplay's present condition, because man oh man, do I have some great propositions for them!

News Comments > Consolidation
13. A&D on DVD? May 31, 2004, 05:06 Shadowcat

Was there ever a DVD release of Armed and Dangerous for PC that included the cut-scenes at a decent compression level? Every review I saw of the PC version said that the cutscenes showed horrible compression artifacts, while reviewers who had seen both versions said the X-Box didn't suffer from this. It sounds like they crammed it on to fewer CDs than were necessary to get the video clips looking good. If they re-released it on DVD I'd deinitely consider it, but there were just too many strikes against the game for me to consider getting it at full price. I loved Giants, and MDK was quite fun too. Giants was a lot more fun than MDK, however, and I got the impression from reviews that despite some visual similarities with the former, A&D actually had more in common with the latter when it came to gameplay.

News Comments > UT2004 CBP 2, Volume 2
23. Re: Correct me if I'm wrong... May 31, 2004, 04:56 Shadowcat

Irrational licensed the Unreal engine for Tribes Vengeance, and have of course modified it for their own purposes. Irrational's other major project, SWAT 4, is said to be using the "Vengeance Engine", so that is clearly what they've named their modified version of the Unreal engine.

News Comments > Specter of a Spector Departure?
69. Re: My two May 30, 2004, 10:34 Shadowcat

Anyway, If Warren is gone from ION perhaps he will go back to being a game designer at a new company instead of being a clueless "game manager" in charge of different teams. Something he obviously wasn’t good at.
AFAIK, Warren has more often been a producer than a designer. That's certainly not to say he doesn't have input (people tend to wear multiple hats), but I think it is a false impression based on the success of Deus Ex and the association of his name with a number of othe highly regarded games that has led to people imagining that he is a brilliant PC game designer responsible for the design of all those games.

His primary skills when it comes to developing computer games do appear to be more people-oriented than design-oriented.

In case I was talking rubbish, I've just checked mobygames (which if not entirely comprehensive, should be pretty representative), which gives him the following credits for 27 titles. Some of the credits (such as documentation and writing) tend to be shared with others.

Producer (9)
Producer & Writing / Dialogue / Story (1)
Documentation & Producer (3)
Documentation (4)
Producer and Project Director (1)
Studio Director (2)
Additional Material (1)
Special Thanks (5)
Uncredited (1)

Now either he's extremely modest with regards to his credits, or he has never been the major game design god that so many people seem to think he is or was (no offense intended to Warren here -- I just think that people have the wrong idea of what his role has tended to be).

Personally, I think it's a bit of both these things, as I think he is a fairly modest sort -- he's certainly always the first to point out in interviews how a game is the result of a team effort if the interviewer seems to be implying that he virtually did it all himself.

This comment was edited on May 30, 10:40.

News Comments > Help Wanted - Quake IV
12. Re: Quake IV May 30, 2004, 09:32 Shadowcat

> Odd.. a lot of Quake 3 know how required..

No, they explicitly say that Quake 3 skills are not a requirement (although they are "a definite plus").

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: No subject May 30, 2004, 09:28 Shadowcat

Yes, rather more URLs on display there than ussual

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Thief & Singles
59. Re: Question May 27, 2004, 03:47 Shadowcat

#57, if you're not trolling, it kinda reads like you are. On the offchance you're not, I'll bother replying.

You say you played Thief 1. If so, you know already why it's fun. If you didn't find that fun, don't buy Thief 3 -- it's the same deal.

Thief did not use the Quake engine, and no first-person game before or since has executed stealth gameplay as well as Thief did (not a strike against those other games -- they don't focus on it the way that Thief does).

Read Dan's review at TTLG if you need convincing (look for the link earlier in this thread).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Thief & Singles
28. Re: No subject May 25, 2004, 21:54 Shadowcat

I have it on good authority that this [Gamespy] statement is just flat-out false

Cue Gamespy team in 60s garb...

'Are you having any trouble with him?'

'Yes, a little.'

'Well we reviewers are more than a match for the likes of you, "Two Sheds".'

'Yes, make yourself scarce, "Two Sheds". This forum isn't big enough for the three of us!'

'Get your own game review site, you fairy!'

News Comments > Morning Q&As
18. Demo May 25, 2004, 20:59 Shadowcat

Man, I just don't get some people.

For most of us, the sole purpose of a demonstration version is to enable us to determine whether we want to spend our hard-earned cash on the full version of the game. The only way we can be sure about what we're going to be getting when we do that is if the demo version is based on final code. It's stupid to release a public demo before the game is finished, because it will not be representative of the final product.

Somewhere along the way it has become really common for developers to release a beta demo as the demo for their game, and it bugs the hell out of me. It also bewilders me at the same time -- if the demo has bugs that render the game unplayable on my machine, I'm not going to spend money on the full version, even if they fixed the bugs before it went gold, because I won't know that they were fixed. Nor will most other people who tried that 'demo'.

I don't want to see a Doom 3 demo until the game is finished. Frankly, I think that anyone complaining about not getting a beta demo is actually just whining that the game isn't out yet, because they want to play it as soon as possible. Get over it. Play something else in the meantime. Sheesh.

News Comments > Game Reviews
11. A better review of the game May 24, 2004, 19:24 Shadowcat

By which I mean one that doesn't complain constantly, leaving you confused as to why the final rating was 4/5 stars (which would seem to indicate that for all the complaining it's actually a pretty damned good game).

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/thief3/danspreview.asp

Yeah, it's just another opinion, so you don't have to trust it any more than the Gamespy review. I mention it because I happen to trust this guy, so after a lot of serious concern about the game I'm now seriously looking forward to the release. I'm unhappy about quite a number of things (some of which are clearly X-Box related), but it seems that the good will vastly outweigh the bad (which coincidentally would account for a score of 4/5, I suspect).

I'm also told that the game does have lip-synching (and as DXIW had it, this would have been a very weird omission), which I have to say casts even more shadow (ahem) over the quality of the Gamespy review.

I don't want to come across as a raving fan -- like I said, there are a few changes to the game that I highly dislike the sound of, and where possible I would dearly love to have them patched -- but if the rest of the game is as good as it sounds, it just won't matter all that much. If they fix them, it will be brilliant; if they don't, well it'll still be great. Either way, I'm going to enjoy finding out how the trilogy ends.
This comment was edited on May 24, 19:38.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. No subject May 22, 2004, 20:15 Shadowcat

"Judge orders Microsoft to search its systems."

A contender for the most optimistic order ever given?

News Comments > Dark Ore Demo
17. Re: No subject May 21, 2004, 00:31 Shadowcat

#15, see #10.

(edit: having taken a glance at the web site which words this as "The demo has a 30 minute time out", I think perhaps it means that you get 30 minutes each time you run the game, not that after 30 minutes of play you can no longer run the game (as the story here seemed to imply). That would actually make a whole lot more sense. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is correct?)

I'm with the rest -- there's absolutely no way I'm downloading 24MB for a maximum of 30mins. I wouldn't do it even if I had broadband. I've tried smaller demos with 1 hour time limits, and they left me with absolutely no clue as to whether I'd get my money's worth out of the full game. 30 minutes is just stupid. And for a beta version... I always thought the point of beta versions is to track down bugs. You can't do that in 30 minutes, either. I see no point in this release, but look forward to reading about a vaguely sane scheme for the release of the final demo.

This comment was edited on May 21, 00:47.

News Comments > IL-2 Forgotten Battles Ace Expansion Patch
13. Re: No subject May 20, 2004, 00:58 Shadowcat

> Yeah sure... only a ton of new airplanes!

But airplanes (even variants, surely) take a long time to make. If there were that many that were almost ready to go (the expansion has only just been released, after all!) why not hold it back a little while and include them on the CD?

102MB is kinda ridiculous.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: What a great idea May 19, 2004, 18:54 Shadowcat

I can't wait for the scene where the likeable and charasmatic main character hires a prostitute, has sex with her, and then kills her in order to get his money back.

News Comments > etc.
8. Marble Madness May 19, 2004, 08:03 Shadowcat

> I NEED A SEQUEL TO MARBLE MADNESS.

You want Hamsterball. It's fantastic.
http://www.raptisoft.com/Hamsterball/

Marble Blast Gold is another excellent marble-rolling game, and I highly recommend it, but it is very different to Marble Madness.
http://www.garagegames.com/pg/product/view.php?id=15

Give Neverball a look as well. It plays differently again to the other two (it's more like those old wooden puzzles where you tilt the board to get the ball bearing through the maze), and it's freeware.
http://icculus.org/neverball/

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Damn May 16, 2004, 17:09 Shadowcat

I hope no one actually builds that link-of-the-day project, Blue. That's some seriously irresponsible shit.

News Comments > Morning Previews
8. Re: No subject May 16, 2004, 10:12 Shadowcat

That Thief 3 preview did help a bit, but I remain extremely wary after being so disappointed with DX:IW.
For myself, I trust Dan enough (being a long time TTLGer) that I've concluded that although I'm definitely not going to like everything about Thief 3, the good is going to outweigh the bad so heavily that I'd be crazy not to buy it. There's been a lot of unbalanced focus on the bad things, when there's just so much that the team seems to have done right. As for DXIW, everyone says Thief is running a whole lot better than DXIW did. I haven't seen DXIW myself, but it sounds promising. I'm going to hope for a patch to modify some of the things I don't like the sound of, and pray for a SDK so that the awesomely talented Thief fan-mission community can continue its outstanding work, but I'm not going to let those things stop me from buying the game. (I may think twice about buying future Eidos games if they don't give the OK to the SDK release, however...)

Thanks for pointing that out, as I likely would never have even bothered to read it.
No problem. I really was a bit sorry to see it buried in such a huge list. I suspect there was more good and useful information in that one Thief write-up than there was about all the games in all the surrounding E3 pieces put together.

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo