Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Test Drive Unlimited 2 Jaguar Trailer
1. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Jaguar Trailer Jan 29, 2011, 08:30 Shadowcat

TDU2 is coming out on the Jaguar? Impressive  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Arx Fatalis Patch, Source Code Released
13. Re: Arx Fatalis Patch, Source Code Released Jan 14, 2011, 21:43 Shadowcat

Is this the game that GOG.com paid the developers to make a new compatibility patch, which ended up being GOG-exclusive? I seem to recall that being a sore point with folks who bought it elsewhere, so this is a nice resolution.
I wasn't aware of GOG paying Arkane to patch the game (which is not to say it didn't happen), but the rest is certainly true.

Based on comments made by folks at Arkane, though, I don't believe they ever intended v1.19 to be exclusive to GOG. I think that a project they were working on around that time was unexpectedly cancelled (or put on hold at least), which must have caused free work on an Arx patch to become rather a low priority, until they got things back on track.

I'm glad they've finally got things sorted out, and the source code is a real unexpected bonus. Hopefully Arx will live on for a long time as a result of that.

News Comments > Bigpoint's Planet Moon Hires
1. Re: Bigpoint's Planet Moon Hires Jan 12, 2011, 04:25 Shadowcat

Good luck to the Planet Moon team! Giants remains one of my favourite games ever, and Armed & Dangerous was a solid effort as well. Not to mention the Shiny days, too. I hope things work out for you all.  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
41. Re: Quote of the Day Jan 7, 2011, 05:31 Shadowcat

Sandy Bridge is the new 32-nanometer microprocessor that is capable of running tasks hundreds of times faster than any previous generation chip

For example, in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet work, Eden said it is 833 percent faster than the previous generation. For slideshow work, it is 333 percent faster

I refuse to accept information from someone who doesn't comprehend percentages.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Dec 30, 2010, 05:52 Shadowcat

Another (related) factor is that some of these games are newly available to Linux as of this bundle. For example, "Braid" got a lot of publicity around its original release (and deservedly so), so any Windows gamer who wanted to play Braid would very likely have already bought it, and therefore not include much (if any) money for that game in their HIB purchase price.

Admittedly I don't know if this would have been a big factor, but it most certainly would have been a factor.

News Comments > On Sale - GOG.com Sale, New Humble Indie Bundle
7. Re: On Sale - GOG.com Sale, New Humble Indie Bundle Dec 14, 2010, 21:58 Shadowcat

I wish they would allow to split the money between the developers of the Humble Indie Bundle. I already owned 4 of those 5 games, seems unfair to spread it equally.
I initially thought that last time, and then I decided that if they had allowed the split, the developers of the lesser-known games in the bundle would probably get a much smaller share than the more well-known devs, and I concluded that I'd rather it be shared out equally.

News Comments > Free TrackMania Changes
4. Re: Free TrackMania Changes Dec 12, 2010, 03:05 Shadowcat

that change is prompted by the closure of Massive, Microsoft's in-game advertising service.
YES!!!! That is absolutely brilliant news! Here's hoping that they're gone for good.

News Comments > ZeniMax Buys Machinegames
5. Re: ZeniMax Buys Machinegames Nov 6, 2010, 18:08 Shadowcat

Unless you're already famous, you also have to be willing to change your name to "Zenimax (Geographic Location)".  

News Comments > Star Trek Infinite Space Trailer
7. Re: Star Trek Infinite Space Trailer Oct 28, 2010, 06:10 Shadowcat

Yes. All of them.  

News Comments > BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Revived
13. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Revived Oct 28, 2010, 01:19 Shadowcat

I really don't understand DLC for an FPS that isn't exclusively multiplayer (or even if it was MP for that matter) MONTHS after most people have played and finished the game.....
I don't understand your lack of understanding. People who enjoyed the game will likely enjoy the expansions. What difference does the time taken make, save that a proportion of the users (a minority, I would imagine) would have to reinstall the game?

News Comments > Star Trek Infinite Space Trailer
1. Re: Star Trek Infinite Space Trailer Oct 27, 2010, 22:32 Shadowcat

Happiness is a warm particle vortex cannon  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2010, 06:05 Shadowcat

nGlide now has support for I-War and Interstate '76, which is great.

(Methinks they've been shopping at GOG.com

News Comments > Outerlight "Critically Endangered"
3. Re: Outerlight Oct 9, 2010, 21:21 Shadowcat

Never heard of "Bloody Good Time"; any good?
I don't know, but FWIW:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/bloody-good-time/

News Comments > StarCraft Patched
1. Re: StarCraft Patched Sep 29, 2010, 07:03 Shadowcat

"StarCraft II Patched" perhaps?  

News Comments > GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday
13. Re: GOG.com Statement Expected Wednesday Sep 21, 2010, 03:43 Shadowcat

I'm going to be so gutted if this marks the end of the DRM-free catalogue on GOG.com.

GOG was the best thing to happen to online PC games distribution ever, and I would willingly see Steam and every other digital distributor die first.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - King's Bounty: Crossworlds
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - King's Bounty: Crossworlds Sep 17, 2010, 21:07 Shadowcat

No matter how hard I try, I can't help but read that as "King's Bounty: Crosswords" :)
Yeah, I saw this mentioned on another site, and thought it was some weird casual game spin-off of the series.

News Comments > Six Gun Saga Revealed
2. Re: Six Gun Saga Revealed Sep 13, 2010, 04:42 Shadowcat

I found the interface to "Armageddon Empires" a bit too off-putting. I'm just not sufficiently keen on the genre to want to learn to deal with that. It's good to see a developer producing quality games (judging by reviews) for a niche audience, though.

A single-player-focussed western game has my attention, however. I'm not sure at this stage if it's going to be my kind of thing, but I'll certainly give the demo a shot.

News Comments > MS Recommits to PC Gaming Again
34. Re: MS Recommits to PC Gaming Again Aug 18, 2010, 06:22 Shadowcat

Fuck, how short are their memories if they think we don't remember how often they've swung back and forth on this?

Talk is cheap to start with. At this point M$ should be paying us to listen to them, if they continue to spout this crap.

I'm not even certain that I want them to make PC games. We all know they'll just ditch the market again within a couple of years. We're probably better off without them (especially if they intend to continue with GFWL).

News Comments > RAGE Dated
26. Re: RAGE Dated Aug 14, 2010, 07:28 Shadowcat

Even with a correction, that's a curiously specific release date for something more than a year away.

Yeah, that's pretty weird. Personally I'm hoping that they're almost done with it now, and are giving themselves a huge amount of time for pre-release polish. I doubt this is actually the case, though.

Maybe they want to let the competition know to stay the hell away from their big release date, and are trying to ensure that no one else will have already booked conflicting advertising and shelf space.

I guess the new company beat the "when its done" right the hell out of the id team.
I'm just amazed there's a date. I always liked "when it's done". Almost always used to get a solid product when the developers could decide when to release.

Ditto to both of those comments. Just goes to show that no matter how much both sides rave about how wonderful it is for everyone, there's invariably a real down-side when an independent company is bought out.

News Comments > Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies
10. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 02:35 Shadowcat

Pretty good apology (not as good for the people who had already bought L4D2, though).

Also a good demonstration of how detrimental this kind of software can be when things don't go as smoothly as people tend to presume they will.

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo