Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM 3 Demo
89. Re: No subject Sep 19, 2004, 21:38 Shadowcat

When the hell has a sequel ever been revolutionary?
A pretty fair comment, generally. It's usually the whole point that a sequel does not have radically different gameplay to the original game. There are exceptions, of course. The SWAT series springs to mind... each of SWAT 1, 2, and 3 were utterly different IIRC (SWAT 4 is going to be like SWAT 3, however). GTA 2 -> GTA 3 was mentioned already, and is probably one of the better examples (the gameplay was certainly not so different as the SWAT series, but the overall changes were pretty dramatic). Whether or not this sort of thing counts as "revolutionary" is up for debate, but you can at least say that sequels can sometimes be vast improvements on the originals.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wings of War Demo
3. No subject Sep 18, 2004, 03:14 Shadowcat

Here's a thread discussing the game at gpforums.co.nz
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=236195

News Comments > Morning Q&As
8. Re: Battlefront Sep 15, 2004, 19:45 Shadowcat

There's a new Matrix Online Question of the Day on The Matrix Online Vault, asking about the hovercrafts, which apparently hold no eels.
Huh?

http://www.thisisawar.com/LaughterMPHungarian.htm

News Comments > Wings Over Vietnam Unveiled
9. Re: Good Flight-sims Sep 14, 2004, 19:49 Shadowcat

I think FS2004 and CFS3 use the same engine, as do IL2 and Lock-On).
Actually, I'm pretty certain that both of those statements are false (the latter quite definitely is). The overall comment about engine quality has some merit, although bear in mind that FS2004 models the entire world. You can buy and/or download various photo-realistic textures for FS2004, and some of them look quite nice at low levels. The default FS2004 ground textures look complete and utter absolute arse at low altitude, however, just as they've done for years.

News Comments > Scrapland Demo
29. No subject Sep 13, 2004, 18:31 Shadowcat

I had heard about this a while ago, and was looking forward to it, but the demo is pretty disappointing.
It isn't a demo! They didn't intend it for public release, and have pulled it from their server. Just wait for the official demo, people. This is already a month old, and who knows how far from release the game actually is. The real polish is generally added to a game in the final stages of development, and it could still be months away for all we know.

Basing opinions of the game on this is crazy. I'm sure there will be an official demo in due course which the developers will be happy for people to base their opinions on, but this apparently isn't it.

News Comments > Action Unreal Tournament
4. No subject Sep 10, 2004, 07:55 Shadowcat

Couldn't they have put "2004" into the title? It's not for UT, after all, and presumably there will also be many future versions of the series to add to the three games already in existence. Kinda confusing (especially when one has just recently been playing the original UT).

News Comments > SWAT 4 Update
16. SWAT 4 is not Urban Justice ! Sep 4, 2004, 22:55 Shadowcat

I'm a bit more skeptical of the game now than I was when it was under the title "Urban Justice,"

was just wondering because this game has been in development hell for years and I keep forgetting it's in development.

Come on people, you can at least read the previous comments... this isn't a Doom story with 100+ replies. It was already stated very clearly by Teddy:
SWAT: Urban Justice != SWAT 4

SWAT 4 has NOT been "in development hell for years" or ever been "under the title 'Urban Justice'". The official SWAT 4 announcement was made at the end of April this year. The general public has known of the existence of SWAT 4 for a little over four months.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 23:27.

News Comments > Call of Cthulhu Delayed
15. Re: Er, is this the DNF of horror games? Sep 3, 2004, 08:47 Shadowcat

Graphically this game will be compared to what modern games like Doom 3 and Half Life 2 can do. If it can't match up, what do you think reviewers will say?
I imagine they'll say that the graphics aren't as good as Doom 3 or Half Life 2. If they're any good at their jobs, they'll also point out what the game is good at.

The phrase I take issue with in your comment above is "if it can't match up". Games do not have to "match up" to the latest all-singing all-dancing graphics of game X in order to qualify as a good game.

12. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2004, 03:34 Shadowcat

Taulin: I couldn't possibly disagree with you more about System Shock, and I know I'm far from being alone in that, but I'm sure you can think of a game you do like to illustrate the same point.

5. Obsolete? Sep 2, 2004, 22:48 Shadowcat

Obsolete?? I don't think so.

If the game is genuinely good, who gives a flying toss if the graphics aren't as good as other games?! (and they still look pretty damned good IMO.)

An average game with great graphics will last about as long as the video hardware it was designed to run on. A fantastic game will last for many many years longer than that, regardless of the graphics. (System Shock is still a great game, for instance, and it's now 10 years old).

Hell, anyone who replays one of their favourite games from a few years back and enjoys it knows that good games transcend their technology.

I'm not saying that DCotE is necessarily going to be another Shock, simply that if it is good, slightly dated graphics aren't going to matter all that much, and I would much much rather have a great game with dated graphics than an average game with excellent graphics. Frankly, I think most of you would too.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 22:50.

News Comments > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space
7. Re: definite dates Sep 2, 2004, 00:41 Shadowcat

I think their claim to fame is games that can fit on a floppy disk (maybe I mis-recall that though).
indeed. SAIS is around 20MB (and even PlasmaWorm is close to 5MB).

Digital Eel have been making use of OpenGL in their recent games, so I suspect it's a decent bet that WW will look good in a wide range of video modes.

Definitely looking forward to this one. SAIS practically ate my life

News Comments > Ghost Recon 2 Delay
10. No subject Aug 31, 2004, 22:59 Shadowcat

It's incredibly irritating to hear that they are doing two versions, yet it's not a pc/console split, but an xbox/ps2 split, with PC owners getting a port of one of the console versions. Dammit...

News Comments > Misc. Demos
3. No subject Aug 29, 2004, 16:07 Shadowcat

"what is 'witnit'?"

News Comments > Anacondas Game
24. Re: No subject Aug 26, 2004, 21:47 Shadowcat

Thanks Ray.

News Comments > Anacondas Game
7. No subject Aug 26, 2004, 09:02 Shadowcat

So has anyone actually played this? What's it like?

News Comments > Obscure: Learn about Fear Demo
1. No subject Aug 25, 2004, 09:16 Shadowcat

based on teen horror flicks such as He Knows We're Dumb and Let's Search One at a Time.
*lol*

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. "Will gene-altered athletes kill sport?" Aug 25, 2004, 09:07 Shadowcat

Stuff like this always makes me think of the GELFs in the 'Red Dwarf' novels, where the art of genetic engineering for sports culminated in one football team fielding a giant oblong of flesh filling the goal mouth as their goalkeeper

News Comments > TRIBES: Vengeance Nears Gold
70. Re: No subject (Tony Oakden) Aug 23, 2004, 03:38 Shadowcat

Well I guess that answers my question

Thanks for the good times on the beeb, Tony! and all the best with Tribes Vengeance, and all your future projects with Irrational!

News Comments > Ratbag Gets Some Action
10. Powerslide Slipstream Aug 22, 2004, 11:58 Shadowcat

Thanks for the correction on Slipstream, folks. All appendages crossed here for its eventual publication!!!

News Comments > Sunday Previews
1. Fahrenheit Aug 22, 2004, 10:27 Shadowcat

Wow... I had feared that Quantic Dream and Fahrenheit had disappeared altogether. Great to see it's alive and kicking!!! (because on the whole, "Omikron / The Nomad Soul" was a most excellent game). I'm sure I read that they started working on Farenheit right after finishing Omikron, though, and Omikron came out in 1999. That's one hell of a development cycle...

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo