Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Hidden & Dangerous 2 Patches
1. No subject Oct 23, 2004, 20:00 Shadowcat

a 122 MB patch? holy cow.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Q&As
4. No subject Oct 22, 2004, 06:59 Shadowcat

Bloody hell, that had better be a mistake about HL2. I want to be able to install the game on an offline machine, and I don't give a toss about either Counter Strike or Steam. Who the hell makes a single-player game that requires an internet connection to install?!?

I do love the Scrapland quote, OTOH

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Pacific Fighters
26. Re: Coop bomber? Oct 21, 2004, 19:23 Shadowcat

"Jane's Attack Squadron" allows this, but only in free-for-all multiplayer combat, not for missions. So if you got it working you could have two fully-occupied bombers manoeuvring and all the gunners taking shots at the other plane(s), but that's about it. A bit of a shame (which is also a good evaluation of the entire project, sadly).

News Comments > Gold - Space Interceptor: Project Freedom
8. No subject Oct 21, 2004, 19:18 Shadowcat

Space Interceptor: Project Freedom" orbits you into the third millennium
I realise that it's obvious what they're trying to say, but did that sentence make actual sense to anyone? The game sure looks pretty from the screenshots. Demo is a little too big for dial-up, but I'm off to read some reviews. At $20, it could be a great deal.

News Comments > Nexus: The Jupiter Incident MP Demo
11. Re: No subject Oct 21, 2004, 19:17 Shadowcat

Combat. Can no one come up with anything else? Is fighting the only thing to do in space?
You're in luck:
http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html

I fear there's a chance that you won't find that a fun game, though. Which brings me to a famous quote: "Space is big. Really, really, big."

A very large proportion of computer games in general are about fighting, and the games that also feature more complex activities tend to have complex environments to make use of. But how do you make a huge empty void into a fun game? Is it any wonder given the number of combat games set on solid ground that the usual solution to the big empty void problem is the same?

Sure you could have a game set on a ship or Space Station (go play the System Shocks or Startopia!), but then the "being in space" bit is almost incidental for the core gameplay. There are also games like MOO2 and "Strange Adventures in Infinite Space" which don't only involve combat, but aren't in 3D. You could have a sci-fi adventure where you need to travel through space to different locations, but if there's no danger in the travelling then it's probably more engaging to set the game on terra firma and have the player travel through something a little less void-like.

Feel free to brain-storm an awesome new space-based game dessign, though. I'm sure there are some good ones out there waiting to be made, I'm just not even remotely surprised that virtually all of the 3D space games out there are combat games.

News Comments > Civilization IV Dawning?
2. Re: Dawning?? Oct 21, 2004, 06:22 Shadowcat

I think you'll find that "Dawning" was Blue's little punnish alternative to saying "in development", and not actually part of the game's title (which it seems safe to assume will simply be "Civilisation IV").

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - H&D 2: Sabre Squadron
11. $9.95 Oct 20, 2004, 16:57 Shadowcat

Wow, that sounds like it represents pretty exceptional value for money. No reason for anyone who enjoyed H&D2 to not pick it up at that price (especially if the co-op play appeals)!

As for its popularity... well the original H&D was a huge success, and I read that H&D2 did extremely well also. I don't think the US is the biggest market for these games (even if it is the most vocal around these parts) but there are of course millions of gamers in other countries.

News Comments > Nexus N.A. Delay
3. Re: Strange Oct 18, 2004, 21:39 Shadowcat

It's certainly a very lucrative time to sell very high-profile games. I suspect that many games with lesser marketing budgets get a bit lost and ignored at that time of year, however.

News Comments > Championship Manager 5 Delayed
7. Re: Mmmm Oct 18, 2004, 18:34 Shadowcat

Frankly, I doubt whether enough people are actually aware that CM5 is not being developed by the same company for it to make a big difference to Eidos (for this version, at least). Most likely many people already think that Eidos makes the game. I'm sure that it will all come down to marketing.

News Comments > More Bizz Buzz
6. Re: Umm... Oct 14, 2004, 17:10 Shadowcat

Championship Manager 5? This is a joke.
Perhaps you forget that football is one of the most popular sports in the world?

News Comments > Kong Approaches
18. Beyond Good & Evil Oct 12, 2004, 21:40 Shadowcat

They should left the comment about "Beyond Good and Evil's prized development team" out of the blurb.
Actually, that's the one thing that made me sit up and take notice. BG&E is a wonderful wonderful game.
Did you know that you cannot beat the PC version of Beyond Good and Evil? there is a bug about 1/2 way thru the game that makes it impossible to finish.
Apparently this happens very rarely if you have an unpatched game, but unfortunately is more likely to happen than not (but still by no means certain to) if you do patch it. Yes, this sucks big time, and Ubisoft should fund an official fix for the problem. I was caught by it, and wasted several hours before looking for and discovering the significant documentation and resources for solving the issue which are available from the community forums. DESPITE this, BG&E was one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a very long time, and the existance of a highly annoying bug in no way diminishes the significant achievement of the aforementioned development team in making the game so good. I will certainly be keeping an eye on their future games!

News Comments > New 3DRealms Game?
6. Id is known for... Duke...? Oct 12, 2004, 08:25 Shadowcat

Id is now working on an original project, and although we're known for Duke [...]
Uh, shouldn't that be "3D Realms is now working on..." ???

Ah, got it. D'oh
This comment was edited on Oct 12, 17:03.

News Comments > Scrapland Demo
14. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 21:35 Shadowcat

#8: Agreed, I'd think that American basically dictated the game design - i.e. did everything besides actually make the game
doubtless the publishers are thrilled to hear that, as one presumes that's exactly what they want everyone to think. American McGee had nothing at all to do with this game's design (unless there were any VERY late alterations), and to most intents and purposes has nothing to do with the development of Scrapland at all. I believe that some of the developers were more than a little put out by the marketing decision at first, but any publicity is good publiciiity I guess. Having said that, I notice that the name did seem to change from "Scrapland" to "American McGee's Scrapland" to "American McGee Presents: Scrapland", and I can only guess that the latter change was to emphasise in some small way that McGee did not actually design this game. I hope it sells better than it would have done, at least, or the name really will have been worse than pointless.

Now, to download that demo... it sounds like a lot of fun

News Comments > Cold Fear Announced
2. No subject Oct 6, 2004, 16:53 Shadowcat

You know, this sounds like quite a decent concept for a horror game. The description in the second paragraph is fairly oozing atmosphere. Good luck to 'em.

News Comments > Gold - Pitfall: The Lost Expedition
6. Descent Oct 5, 2004, 20:06 Shadowcat

i heard the xbox version was descent
Pitfall Harry is the Material Defender? That's just weird...

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Void War
6. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2004, 01:05 Shadowcat

count the number of irony's present...gogogogo
can I criticise your mis-use of apostrophes while I'm at it?

I wanted to try Void War, but the demo doesn't run on my machine

News Comments > Hegemonia Fix
2. Good support Sep 25, 2004, 19:00 Shadowcat

Thanks guys, that's good support. Big thumbs-up! Always great to see the developers looking after their fans this long after release. (I remember being inspired to reinstall and play both Hyperblade and Outlaws when patches appeared out oof the blue years after releasse for each of them

News Comments > TRIBES Demo Update
12. Terra Nova Sep 25, 2004, 06:58 Shadowcat

I'm all for the new Tribes game (a worthy successor to Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri, I hope)
I'm not sure how interested I am in Tribes itself, but if someone does a TN:SFC mod for it (and it must be the very best candidate game yet produced for creating such a mod), I'm so there I'm sure that Tribes owes a lot to TN, so it would be very cool to see it go full circle.

Or hell, if someone just tells me that the T:V single player game is as good as Terra Nova, I'll probably buy it anyway

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 07:02.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
1. Elite Sep 24, 2004, 05:30 Shadowcat

the creator of the seminal space game Elite
CO-creator, please!! Ian Bell was half of the team, and very much the more likeable of the two IMO, so I hate to see him left unmentioned!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Daredevil Sep 22, 2004, 06:41 Shadowcat

high hopes that this one won't end up another Daredevil.
I'm not sure why the Daredevil movie gets so much flack. It had some definite weak points to be sure, but it was an entirely decent movie on the whole. I think it gets FAR more criticism than it deserves. Any superhero movie that was 'only' as good as Daredevil would be doing okay.

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo