Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > RattHunter Announced
10. No subject Feb 4, 2005, 10:05 Shadowcat

That's certainly one of the strangest press releases I've read. They actually go out of their way to talk the product down. Reverse psychology at work, excessive honesty, poor judgement, or just a poor translation? If it's honesty, then I honestly think they could and should have worded it rather differently. As it is, I had to stop and make certain it wasn't April 1st My money's on the translation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SWAT 4 Demo Plans
16. No subject Feb 1, 2005, 19:41 Shadowcat

Damn... obviously this demo is being timed to match the magazine press coverage, so they can't really hold it back, but it's a shame that the co-op play wasn't ready to go -- that's one of SWAT 3's high points. I hope they release a co-op demo for this one later on.

News Comments > Darwinia Demo Plans
23. Re: Hey Cy Jan 30, 2005, 01:15 Shadowcat

Sorry, I see now that I was wrong. You're all class.

22. Re: excuse me? Jan 30, 2005, 01:12 Shadowcat

Just so I have this straight... it's fine for you to insult the developers of the game, but it's offensive to your delicate sensibilities if someone insults you back as a result? Is that how it works? You'll have to let me know, because clearly you have your own set of rules that we all have to abide by, and I'd hate to keep getting it wrong.

18. Re: Looks like C-64 Jan 29, 2005, 22:56 Shadowcat

They obviously didn't design it for you. Go play Doom 3 or something...

15. No subject Jan 29, 2005, 19:14 Shadowcat

It was definitely a learn-by-playing demo, but hardly an impossible task. I enjoyed it, and got through it without many problems the first time, and completed it rather more efficiently the second time through. I felt that I had the hang of everything by then, so the tutorial seems to have been sufficient.

The one thing that really ought have been in the tutorial text was a note that moving the camera very close to a structure makes the game give you some information about what it is/how to use it.

I agree that the gesture system is superfluous in some ways, but I like using it, so it adds to the enjoyment of the game in that respect. There are a couple of different interface changes I'd like to see, but all in all it's pretty decent.

News Comments > Overdose Announced
5. Re: No subject Jan 27, 2005, 14:24 Shadowcat

LMAO Nicholas Cage or John Travolta?
Well given that and the John Woo reference, I guess they're using Face/Off as their major inspiration.

News Comments > Worms Return
33. Re: IS this another lame 3D Worms? Jan 14, 2005, 07:31 Shadowcat

how in the hell is this new one "Worms 4"
You can argue pretty successfully that Armageddon and World Party were both essentially "Worms 2" with a few extra features (an argument also strengthened by the lack of a numeric suffix in the titles), and that Worms 3D was then the third major installment in the series. OTOH it might be primarily that Worms 3D sounds kinda like Worms 3, so let's not confuse anyone by jumping any further ahead than "4".

News Comments > Saturday Previews
1. FFvTTR Jan 8, 2005, 21:15 Shadowcat

Seriously looking forward to this one. The original game was fantastic!

I also see on www.irrationalgames.com that we'll be able to order the game direct from them (makes sense I guess, seeing as they're self-publishing).

(No, I don't work there... just a fan

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Mozilla vulnerabilities identified Jan 7, 2005, 00:14 Shadowcat

I'm really not sure why they bothered with the Firefox and Thunderbird bugs at the end of that article. The article points out that they don't exist in Firefox 1.0+ or Thunderbird 0.9+, and I can't imagine there are many people out there who use these products and yet somehow missed the massive publicity surrounding the v1.0 releases?!

News Comments > Barrow Hill
8. Re: Unrelated Question Jan 7, 2005, 00:10 Shadowcat

Pity iD never played Undying - they might have realised that horror fps games only work for a short time before they stop being scary!
Uh, you're claiming that one not-very-scary game is proof that you can't make a scary game?? Sure. Good logic.

Undying was a decidedly fine game, but it wasn't a scary one.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Hearts of Iron II
7. Re: No subject Jan 6, 2005, 06:06 Shadowcat

Hell, I've got an 800MHz Athlon, and I haven't come across any really pressing reason to upgrade yet. This is partly because I have a GF4Ti4200 video card, which compensates for the older CPU in most games. I did just order Thief 3, though, so I suspect things will have to change for that.

Anyhow, what I really wanted to say is that system requirements these days can be a bit weird. The absolute gap between old and new machines is getting massive, and the ability to pair (for example) a good video card with an old CPU makes most system requirements a very fuzzy suggestion indeed (the mere fact that Windows 98/ME/2000/XP are all lumped together is also another good indication of this). Sometimes I suspect that they state the minimum CPU based on the slowest system they had to test on, not the slowest system that will run the game. I've run a number of "minimum CPU: 1GHz+" games and demos with no problems whatsoever on my machine.

If you're worried about the sys req.s, contact the developers. Obviously some things (like the minimum hard drive space and video memory) are going to be non-negotiable, but you may well find things like CPU and RAM are more flexible than you think, depending on the OS and the rest of the system.

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
1. Jet Thunder Jan 6, 2005, 05:23 Shadowcat

Aha... Jet Thunder gets a mention on Blue's.

JT is still a long ways off, as it is being made by a very small team who have other jobs as well (I would guess it's two years away at the very least if they carry out their full plan for it), so screenshots at this stage are early works in progress!

I'm excited about JT, because it is essentially a fully updated version of what I class the best flight sim of its time: "AV-8B Harrier Assault" (or "SVGA Harrier" in its enhanced form).

Unlike Harrier Assault, though, JT is based around a real-world conflict -- the famous Falkland Islands war.

Like Harrier Assault, the campaign planned for the sim is highly advanced, and players will be able to strategically command their side of the war as well as jumping into the pilot seat. The detail involved (in all aspects of the project) should be far far in advance of the older sim, of course!!

They're certainly aiming high with this project, but they seem to be aware of the scope, so I'm holding out hope that they'll achieve the immense potential of the sim.

Harrier Assault combined my favourite aircraft with one of the very best campaigns ever seen in a flight sim. Here's hoping that Jet Thunder is going to repeat this feat!

News Comments > Site Seeing
2. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2004, 18:26 Shadowcat

They've clearly gone to town with some new tech for the sim, but the underlying engine and code-base (at least, as it was when they started working on it) was the source code for Rowan's Battle of Britain. I *think* (read: hope) that they are using the BDG-enhanced version of the source code, as the BDG have been hard at work cleaning up and enhancing that code base for years now, and it would be a huge shame to ignore all those improvements. I also trust that the BDG will get credited for their work, if this is the case.

http://www.bob-ma.org/

In fact, here's an early-november note from one of the developers which makes all this clear:
http://www.bob-ma.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=65

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik Expands
8. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2004, 18:15 Shadowcat

Ah, so I can take out Fokkers with my lightning sharp double-entendres?
"Aces Over Monkey Island"?

News Comments > Dear Diaries
1. Mike (as in pencil) Dec 22, 2004, 01:16 Shadowcat

"Jaid (as in ride)"? What does that even mean, Blue?

News Comments > New MoH: Pacific Assault MP Demo
3. Single Player demo? Dec 21, 2004, 17:09 Shadowcat

Is there an up-to-date single-player demo as well? Surely that's what most people are interested in.

Or was the original SP demo already based on the final code, rather than a beta version?

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Demo
17. Re: No subject Dec 20, 2004, 18:33 Shadowcat

t makes a person wonder: What's the point? Most people who wanted to play HL2 either bought it or downloaded it already.
This might be true (the buying bit, not the downloading bit -- in the real world, people still use dial-up modems, and downloading gigabytes of games wouldn't be an option even if you did want to do it). The point is it's all relative, and "most" of an extremely large number probably still leaves another rather large number behind.

I'm going to pull a number out of the air, 'cause I couldn't find a real one. Let's say Half-Life 2 has sold 4 million copies. If 20% of the potential audience for the game were worried about whether or not it would run on their system, that's another million people who haven't bought it yet. If half that number find the game runs okay on their currect machine, that's an extra half a million sales at the current price. That's 500,000 * $40 (say) == an extra twenty million dollars of early retail sales thanks to releasing a demo. Lots of companies can only dream of half a million people buying their game.

I made up the numbers, but anyone can see that the demo makes lots of sense, even if I've over-exaggerated the figures involved.

Myself, I look forward to picking up a magazine with the demo on its cover disc in due course. In the meantime, I'm not at all fussed that I've not played it yet -- I have plenty of other games to occupy my time.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: linux Dec 14, 2004, 18:52 Shadowcat

The report, set to be released on Tuesday, states that the 2.6 Linux production kernel, shipped with software from Red Hat, Novell and other major Linux software vendors, contains 985 bugs in 5.7 million lines of code
Well gee, I hope it now has zero bugs, seeing as how they obviously know what they all are. Sheesh. I'm no fan of M$, but this report is a load of bollocks, and no better than the crap that M$ releases or funds. The moment the open source moovement stoops to that kind of level, they lose the credibility that they have over M$. They really don't need something like this that M$ can so easily discredit. (There's a thought for the OS conspiracy theorists... Maybe M$ funded this one as well?

News Comments > Chat-O-Rama
4. No subject Dec 12, 2004, 19:18 Shadowcat

Gearbox handled the first one, so I'm guessing they'll announce the PC port of "Halo 2".

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo