Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Psychonauts Demo
11. Tips for extracting demos Apr 11, 2005, 19:46 Shadowcat

obviously trying to write to a temporary directory on C: to get the installer started.
Here's a useful thing to remember. Many demos packaged as .exe file are actually self-extracting archives. If you have the relevant archive software installed you can often manually extract the files to any place you like. I highly recommend having 7-zip(.org) installed as it handles 7z, zip, bz2, rar, and many other formats, and it generally produces the best compression ratios and so is a prime candidate for making self-extracting archives with.

With 7-zip I just right-click on the .exe file, and select the relevant "extract to..." option, and it will either do it, or give me an error if it's not a self-extracting archive.

Of course, some installers end up creating about three copies of the data along the way, so another trick I've utilised at times of low disc space is to watch the windows\temp directory, and take a copy of the installation files that are copied there, then copy those to a drive with more space, cancel the installation, and run it again from the copied files on the bigger drive.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > A Vampyre Story Delayed
3. No subject Apr 10, 2005, 18:23 Shadowcat

Sam & Max had awesome artwork, it's true, but AVS certainly does not look worse. The only area I think could use some improvement is the main character's clothing... it could do with a little shading, I feel... the flat colour doesn't look so great at times. The character looks great otherwise, and the backgrounds look lovely in the sscreenshots they've shown so far.

http://pc.mobygames.com/game/dos/sam-max-hit-the-road/screenshots/gameShotId,7575/
http://pc.mobygames.com/game/dos/sam-max-hit-the-road/screenshots/gameShotId,7578/
http://pc.mobygames.com/game/dos/sam-max-hit-the-road/screenshots/gameShotId,7576/
http://www.amegames.com/vs/gallery.htm

News Comments > Call of Duty 2 Announced
34. Re: Yay Apr 9, 2005, 03:12 Shadowcat

Can we PLEASE, for the love of God, have some NEW ORIGINAL IP...
It's there. Just don't buy the WW2 games if it upsets you that much, and do actually spend money on the more original games.

Look at the story on "Metronome", for instance. Or go buy the awesome "SWAT 4" (noting of course that only two of the four SWAT games have been first-person shooters, and that while that still makes SWAT 4 a sequel, it is at least not set in WW2

30. Re: WW2-shooters Apr 8, 2005, 09:08 Shadowcat

Thats because all the Vietnam games sucked.
"Vietcong" was/is excellent.

26. Re: HOLY GRAIL Apr 8, 2005, 00:19 Shadowcat

Kane, go out and buy "SWAT 4" right now. NOW I say.

News Comments > Invasion Invades
3. Re: No subject Apr 8, 2005, 00:12 Shadowcat

that screenshot is quite ugly
How the heck is that ugly? The character is detailed, the textures are nice and sharp, and the building looks believable for the time period. It looks just fine to me.

News Comments > Omikron 2 & Infraworld Announced
11. Final boss Apr 7, 2005, 23:59 Shadowcat

Yep, that was an horrific end-game by any standards. Omikron always crops up in the "hardest endings of all time" threads. Myself, I got lucky when a glitch caused him to become stuck in a passive position, whereupon I was safe to pound on him until he fell over!

6. Re: Finally Apr 7, 2005, 18:43 Shadowcat

The game was damn pretty in Glide on my V3, and unfortunately is loaded with glitches on all my Geforces You might want to try running it in Glide mode via a Glide wrapper. That might give you better results.

http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/
http://dege.freeweb.hu/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openglide

5. No subject Apr 7, 2005, 18:30 Shadowcat

Omikron rocked, so there are plenty of people looking forward to a sequel!

The first game really only had problems with the first-person sequences (and the final one in particular!!!), so if they can fix that and expand on all the good stuff, they'll have a fantastic game on their hands.

They abandoned the "chapter-based" thing for Farenheit, so I gather it's being released in the regular manner. I look forward to the reviews!

News Comments > (Scant) Dimitri Details
22. No subject Apr 6, 2005, 20:42 Shadowcat

It doesn't help that the media completely buy into and perpetuate the hype every single time. "Our jaws dropped to the floor" they say, promptly forgetting how that also happened with every other game that disappointed them by not living up to its promises.

I'm not assuming this will be a bad game (it's impossible to know, although it doesn't sound appealing yet); I just wish that they'd stop with the irritating hype.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SWAT 4
5. No subject Apr 6, 2005, 05:30 Shadowcat

The demo has been out for a little while, actually, so you can check it out right now:
http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1096481055/

As for support, if people buy SWAT 4 (as they should, because it looks to be damned good) then the support will be there.

SWAT 3 was awesome, and this looks to be a very worthy sequel.

Reviews:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/600/600178p1.html
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/swat4/review.html
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/swat-4/599416p1.html

News Comments > Evening Q&As
4. Re: Irrational Self Publishing Feb 12, 2005, 06:40 Shadowcat

It disappeared from the shelves, because everyone bought it

I always assumed it did really well, because the fan community has been incredibly active since day one. In fact since day negative-something (Irrational released some character design tools in advance of the game itself, IIRC There just seemed to be too many people around too quickly for it to be a minority audience.

Companies like Marvel shut down a lot of the sites, or at least forced them to remove things, but when shortly after the game was released I saw a site with about a bazillion downloadable hero skins (lots of them based on existing superhero IP) I knew that the game was a hit. Either that, or there was one guy who never slept and just churned out hero skins 24 hours a day...

I'm stoked about the fact that Irrational has been able to do this to their own timetable without the pressures of a publisher, and that the FF community is still going strong and therefore verily itching for the next chapter... My feeling is that it all bodes well, so I hope the day has indeed come where a company like Irrational can make good money out of self-publishing top-quality titles.

Which reminds me... Ken, the freedom shop only ships to the U.S. Are there plans for the other half of Irrational to set up an Australasian store, by any chance?

Looking forward to FFvTTR and SWAT 4 in particular... (I see that you're really winding up the publicity machine on the latter It seems as if there's a new interview or preview just about every day!)

Looking forward to Bioshock even more, but hell, that's ages away

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 06:41.

News Comments > Ion Storm Closed
52. Re: Well... Feb 11, 2005, 04:33 Shadowcat

I wonder if they'll ever get off their ass with the Freedom Force crap, and make a System Shock 3.
a) Freedom Force rocks hard.
b) You'd better hope that FFvTTR is a god-damn huge success for them, because they're self-publishing it. If it's a big hit it will put them into the financial position to be able to make the kind of games you want, and to do it right (as well as making the next kick-ass Freedom Force title, of course whereas if it's a failure, it will hit them really hard, as there's no publisher propping this project up. (Looking Glass themselves suffered severe financial blows when some of their self-published games failed (the games were excellent, but they didn't sell)).

Irrational Games needs to buy the System Shock and Ultima Underworld licenses back from EA. (If possible).
EA doesn't own all of the rights to System Shock, and Irrational has already (long ago) spent a lot of money trying (and failing) to track down the full ownership details. My understanding is that when the remains of LGS were sold off and scattered to the four winds, the IP issues ended up like some kind of unsolvable maze.

I don't know about Underworld, save that both Looking Glass and Arkane had campaigned to be allowed to make Ultima Underworld 3, and it never happened.

I can't envisage either of these situations changing

News Comments > PC Reservoir Dogs
10. Reservoir Dogs Feb 11, 2005, 04:06 Shadowcat

The only way that Reservoir Dogs will be a good game is if it bears almost no resemblance to the movie (seriously, run the movie through your mind and try to imagine where you are going to get those 10-20 hours (minimum) of gameplay from?), so what's the point?

Yay for more Carmageddon, except didn't the last one (TDR2000) suck?

News Comments > Ion Storm Closed
51. Re: Ion Storm was a bit hit and miss Feb 11, 2005, 03:56 Shadowcat

it was Romero's office that developed Daikatana and Dominion.
Specter's office developed the Deus Ex duo and Thief 3... and Anachronox.
That last part is incorrect. Anachronox was created at the Dallas branch (and it's a really good game).

News Comments > TrackMania: Sunrise to Dawn in June
3. off the hook Feb 9, 2005, 14:40 Shadowcat

I've never heard the phrase used in this context, but would it not simply mean that the ramp is roughly hook-shaped?

News Comments > Game Movies
26. Boiling Point Feb 7, 2005, 10:23 Shadowcat

Anyway... Has anyone downloaded the Boiling Point movie? That strikes me as a far FAR more interesting game than the Star Wars one, but doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves.

Technically, I like the idea of a first-person game in a very large region (625 square kilometres) but with no loading screens. AFAIK, this hasn't been done before in any game with this kind of graphical detail.

It has tons of potential, and the last video I downloaded looked interesting. I'm on dial-up though, so I've not giotten this one yet. You should all check it out if you've not yet done so, and remember it if you like the look of it, as I doubt it will ever get the sort of marketing that it should.

http://www.boiling-point.net/

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 10:26.

18. Re: Laughs Feb 6, 2005, 22:50 Shadowcat

Furthermore, the people who are saying those things aren't actually saying "should of" or "would of", no matter how much you might hear it as such.
Actually, some of them are. Anyone who writes "would of" is also likely to say "would of", seeing as how that's obviously what they believe the phrase to be. sigh.

11. Re: Meatfarts Feb 6, 2005, 16:24 Shadowcat

Just adding fuel.

We need more fuel! *Throws "Lets see" and "I got a job for you" on the fire*

News Comments > TrackMania Sunrise Beta Demo
5. No subject Feb 5, 2005, 18:19 Shadowcat

hmm... Starforce == bad. Is that on the original Trackmania, or are you suggesting that Sunrise is going to have it (and if so, how do you know this?)

I heard lots of good things about TM. Does anyone have details on how the new one differs (aside from the prettier graphics)?

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo