Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Falcon 4.0: Allied Force
16. Re: WOW! Apr 27, 2005, 22:29 Shadowcat

What this world needs is a new A-10 flight simulator.
Jesus... LOMAC is brand new (in terms of flight sim development)!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Night Watch Announced
10. Pulp Fantasy Apr 27, 2005, 20:30 Shadowcat

protect the case of Light
Do we get to "walk the earth" as well?

News Comments > Falcon 4.0: Allied Force
14. Re: WOW! Apr 26, 2005, 18:59 Shadowcat

900,000 units for a flight sim? Wow!
For a flight sim franchise with four separate releases, actually. I'd be curious to know what proportion of those sales were for F4, which must have been by far the most expensive of the series to make.

Anyway, here's hoping that this F4-extension doesn't fail like the ones before it! Good luck to 'em.

News Comments > Competitions
1. Spong == Bong??? Apr 23, 2005, 08:30 Shadowcat

The headline about a vegetarian game design contest actually sounded interesting (and anyone who concurs should definitely look into "Steer Madness", although I unfortunately can't give it a high recommendation until the camera issues and some general bugs are are fixed).

Spong's site screws up if you block its cookies, so I allow it to set them in order to view the news item, and... they're spouting utter crap.

The contest is for 13-19 year olds to come up with the design for a 5(ish) minute Flash game based on any art form. There's nothing even remotely connected to vegetarianism. I conclude that the only vegetables are the folks at spong.

As best I can tell from reading, they seem to have gone from "art" to "dance" (mentioned as a possible art form from which to derive inspiration) to "herbal tea" (this is of course an exciting leap) to "vegetarian" (almost as exciting) and decided to base their headline on that one.

Maybe this is just what spong does, but if so then Mike Martinez must have gone slightly loopy from gathering such links for all this time, as this clearly wasn't the sensible URL or headline to provide...

News Comments > Game Movies
7. Re: My question is.... Apr 22, 2005, 07:56 Shadowcat

some idiot saying Darth Vader is Luke's father
You bastard!

News Comments > More on Remedy's Next Game
8. Death Rally Apr 21, 2005, 19:11 Shadowcat

Actually, Death Rally (released in 1996, published by Apogee) was Remedy's first game.
You beat me to it. I was going to suggest "Death Rally 2" for the new game

DR is a *really* slick little racer, though. You can even see a similar approach in the way that DR and MP were made, in that both games focus on doing a small number of things extremely well. Remedy seem to pick their core gameplay mechanic, and then polish the hell out of it. The presentation is top-notch, too. And then there's a little touches... MP had its TV shows, and DR has the wisdom of True Tom to guide your way. It's always stylish with Remedy.

And lastly, like MP it doesn't take very long at all to complete DR, but you have a blast while you're doing it

News Comments > New Akella Games & Websites
7. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2005, 08:43 Shadowcat

Was SMERSH a group of James Bond villains? Maybe Man From Uncle?
I think T.H.R.U.S.H. were the enemies of U.N.C.L.E., IIRC. I'm pretty sure I've never heard of SMERSH, but it has that kind of 'could be anything' sound to it, IMO

News Comments > Serious Sam II Announced
60. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2005, 08:39 Shadowcat

"HL and HL2 are closer to Myst or Fallout than Doom or Unreal."

And I thought my framerate was bad!
*lol*

News Comments > New Akella Games & Websites
2. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2005, 00:06 Shadowcat

Nah, it sounds more like a carbon copy of The Muppets Take Manhatten.

What the hell are you referring to? There are five games mentioned in that story. My best guess is SMERSH, but as the above small vague paragraph is the only information we have about the game, I fail to see how anyone other than the developers can claim it's a carbon copy of anything at this stage!

42. Co-op puzzles Apr 20, 2005, 18:22 Shadowcat

Someone needs to come out with a game that is exclusively co-op and include puzzles/challenges that can only be completed with two players.
IIRC, "Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow" includes a co-op mode that works like this. The new "Chaos Theory" may have the same thing. I've not played any of the S.C. games, though, so I can't comment on how well it works.

40. Re: No subject Apr 20, 2005, 18:14 Shadowcat

Overflow wrote:
HL and HL2 are closer to Myst or Fallout than Doom or Unreal.
I just wanted to quote this in case you suddenly came to your senses and edited it out in the pretence that you never actually said it.

News Comments > Morning Consolation
3. Wanda and the Colossus Apr 20, 2005, 17:44 Shadowcat

I'm reminded of a Dr Fun cartoon...
http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/df200402/df20040226.jpg

News Comments > Video Game Actors to Strike?
4. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2005, 00:46 Shadowcat

voice acting is overrated!
Not when the acting is good. Bad acting has all but ruined many an otherwise-fine game. Good voice acting in a fine game, OTOH, is the delicious icing on the cake.

News Comments > Evil Dead Regeneration Announced
11. Re: Too easy... Apr 15, 2005, 00:42 Shadowcat

Aliens vs. Predator 1 & 2
*bzzzzt*
Movie tie-ins.

Surely you are well aware that both AvP games predate the movie by quite a considerable margin.

The games are based on all the previous AvP works, and basic subject matter aside they have nothing to do with the movie.

AvP1 certainly does rock, though

News Comments > Jagged Alliance 3D
30. Silent Storm Apr 13, 2005, 01:47 Shadowcat

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is Silent Storm? Is a submarine-based thing - or am I thinking of something totally different?
You're most likely thinking of the recently released and equally superb (in its genre) "Silent Hunter 3", which is a U-Boat simulation.

Edit: having bothered to look it up... why have I never heard of this? Looks great!
Buy it, love it, tell your friends

"If you bite it Ice, who's gonna feed the dog?"
-Ice, JA2

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 01:50.

News Comments > Ghost Recon 2 PC Cancelled
37. Re: hardcore tactical war / close combat Apr 12, 2005, 19:56 Shadowcat

I personally don`t think any game with an invisible weap in the 1st pov can be called a 1st person view.
Yes, because in real life holding a gun looks just like it does in Counter Strike (and you would never ever move your gun from that view either).

I appreciate the on-screen gun, but I also see nothing unrealistic about not having it. The idea of someone not buying a game because of this staggers me...

22. No subject Apr 12, 2005, 19:34 Shadowcat

Yeah, Silent Storm would be the ultimate starting point for a 3D Jagged Alliance. (And I hope that everyone complaining about JA3D not being turn-based has actually shelled out the cash for Silent Storm...)

21. Re: Apr 12, 2005, 19:25 Shadowcat

3D is no longer a buzzword, or an exception to the rule.
except that it is an exception to the Jagged Alliance rule. I count five prior JA titles (JA, Deadly Games, JA2, Unfinished Business, Wildfire) none of which have used 3D graphics (as we consider them today), so the title is fine.

News Comments > Ghost Recon 2 PC Cancelled
26. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2005, 20:00 Shadowcat

what do you expect from the french?
Oi, don't you dare knock the abilities of french game developers. They've given us some of the best titles of all time!! (and often with a damned sight more originality than most games).

News Comments > Morning Q&As
3. No subject Apr 11, 2005, 19:57 Shadowcat

I haven't heard about any law suits over product-placement in movies, so I don't expect anything to happen with it in games either.

Although the game helped by being quite poor, I absolutely made up my mind not to buy "Dredd vs Death" the moment I saw the demo's in-your-face product placement (which was even worse given that the product in question probably shouldn't even exist in Mega City 1).

It had co-op and some arcade game types that might have been fun once the game was ultra-cheap, so I might have bought it at some point, but they really blew it completely with the advertising IMO.

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo