Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > DropTeam Announced
19. No subject May 11, 2005, 20:10 Shadowcat

"groundbreaking 3D engine" definitely doesn't mean "prettiest artwork" and nor need it mean "advanced lighting effects, normal maps, and bumpmapping". There are plenty of cool things a 3D engine can do that aren't about making the game prettier than other games.

In this instance, among its other attributes, it seems their game engine is literally "groundbreaking"
Deformable terrain with engineering vehicles digging out trenches in real time, ordnance created surface cratering and even trees toppling over under artillery fire.
Anyhow, the game has serviceable graphics (and there are a few shots not on their "Media" page -- such as such as http://www.battlefront.com/products/dropteam/screenshots/images/water4.jpg -- that while still not comparable to a modern high-budget game, do look at least a little better than the others ones). It sounds like they're concentrating on the gameplay. Good luck to 'em.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Taxi Driver Game
14. No subject May 11, 2005, 19:49 Shadowcat

Yeah, this is the weirdest/wrongest thing I've seen in ages. Any game based on this will surely have no serious connection to the film, thus making a mockery out of the entire idea.

I'm betting that you'll play Travis, engage in car chases in your taxi, and 'clean up the scum' in numerous action shooting sequences? If I'm right, it's like a really bad joke.

News Comments > Alpha Prime Announced
10. Re: Not that it's a bad thing May 11, 2005, 19:39 Shadowcat

#8: Why "lol" ?

Are you saying that you're read some of Neff's stories and thought they were rubbish? Or is there some other reason for your 'comment'? Please explain.

News Comments > Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow
8. No subject May 11, 2005, 19:37 Shadowcat

The press release is a bit weird. Blue's story suggests that "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow" is the name of a movie sequel to the first film, but the game press release makes no mention of the second movie at all, and just talks about the first movie. Now this makes some sense, seeing as how the first POTC game was basically a build of Sea Dogs 2 that had some POTC content wedged into it, so maybe this one is intended to be more to do with the original movie than that game was, but if so then why name it after the next movie? Ah well.

News Comments > Gold - Boiling Point
16. Re: No subject May 9, 2005, 19:57 Shadowcat

There's a reason why weapon degradation was taken out of System Shock 2 in a patch.
Weapon degradation was never taken out of SS2.

News Comments > Gold - Boiling Point
15. Re: No subject May 9, 2005, 19:55 Shadowcat

So this is GTA set in South America?
Not really. For a start it's first-person! There are a couple of pertinent questions in the extensive FAQ:

Q: What is "your world"? Will it comprise of elements of GTA3 and Deus Ex?

A: Yes, as with most games there are elements of others, but we have a unique blend and have created many new ideas. Our dialogue system is still RPG.

[...]

Q: Do you imitate or copy the ideas from other games, like Deus Ex, Fallout, GTA3?

A: We don't imitate and don't copy. There are games which inspire us and ones which we admire, but there is also the danger of creating a clichéd game without originality, which can be and should be avoided. Everything is within reasonable limits.

http://www.boiling-point.net/index.php?l=en&x_menu=faqs&x_action=xenusfaq.html

News Comments > Pariah Sequel Plans
30. Re: sp demo May 4, 2005, 19:07 Shadowcat

I do not understand how to use these boards and it is all too painfully obvious.
Indeed There's a bug affecting them at present which makes it hard to edit posts. If you click edit and do not get an editing form, just refresh the page... you might have to refresh many times (e.g. I've seen mentions of 10 times) before it works.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Asheron's Call 2
18. leading? May 4, 2005, 18:17 Shadowcat

Turbine's first self published title
Turbine, Inc., a leading publisher of online subscription entertainment
Does anyone else find the juxtaposition of those two statements a little odd?

This comment was edited on May 4, 18:24.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Pariah
48. Re: Eh... May 3, 2005, 21:59 Shadowcat

It's clear you have no idea of whats avaialble on consoles currenty. If anything PC games need to catch up with consoles in terms of innovation.
It's probably worth pointing out that a PC gamer's list of "best of all time" games is going to include a lot of relatively low-profile stuff, while the only PC games that console owners hear about are the mega-hyped releases like Doom 3. It should be obvious, then, that it works both ways and PC gamers just aren't going to hear a lot about many (if not most) of the really great console games, because all they notice is the latest Mario or Zelda hype-fest.

31. Re: System Shock 2 May 3, 2005, 18:38 Shadowcat

You know, these things are harder to find than I imagined. Here are some more links...

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm
http://shtup.home.att.net/
http://shock.musicexplosion.net/
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Shock Unlimited has an updated Rebirth Monkey under Custom Graphics Files, and you can get the Rebirth Rumbler somewhere as well. Just search the forum for that (which applies to everything, really -- you'll find pretty much anything Shock-related you could possibly want to know by searching the TTLG forum).

This comment was edited on May 9, 09:33.

24. System Shock 2 May 3, 2005, 18:19 Shadowcat

IIRC there's a fanmade patch adding updated graphics around.
Patches, even. Check out Rebirth and SHTUP. www.sshock2.com

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
7. Re: No subject May 3, 2005, 06:21 Shadowcat

Ok ok... I'm still waiting for a MMO Civilian/commertial MMO flight sim. Geez
For what purpose? MSFS2004 supports enough players for pretty much any multiplayer civilian intentions I can envisage (e.g. aerobatics teams). If you're just looking to plan and fly your routes, and have all the infrequently-encountered traffic piloted by real people... well... I can't figure out why someone would want that, aside from gaining some small aesthetic pleasure from the fact of it. What kind of gameplay do you have in mind?

(As for the "Geez", you posted your comment in reply to a story about a combat sim. What did you expect people to think?)

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
5. Re: No subject May 2, 2005, 22:17 Shadowcat

I'm still waiting for a MMO flight sim.
You really haven't been paying attention, in that case. There have been plenty of them over the years!!

Warbirds, Aces High, and Red Baron 2/3D MMP are all currently operating AFAIK, and there are probably a few others I'm not thinking of (I rarely fly online, so don't actually make use of any of these myself).

News Comments > Vietcong 2 Announced
15. Re: Nice Apr 30, 2005, 05:04 Shadowcat

missions like the one where you goto a village to talk to the chief and there are snipers on the nearby hills taking pot shots at you, with only open ground between you and them.
Are you talking about the very first mission? Where your squadmates regularly let loose with covering fire to allow you to get from cover point to cover point until you're at the hill side and the snipers can't see you any more?

If so, there's no way you should have been trying to take out the sniper from long range, and the guys even state that they're going to lay down the covering fire for you so you can get closer.

As long as you know where the sniper is (and I didn't even spot him the first time, but remember your binoculars (B)), there's enough cover available.

News Comments > Vietcong 2 Announced
11. No subject Apr 29, 2005, 21:31 Shadowcat

I bought Vietcong only about a week ago and have been playing the single-player game since, and it rocks hard. I do agree that the tunnel rat sequences are too long -- the real joy of the game lies in the open-air firefights, thanks to the game's awesome focus on use of cover, and the integrated features that allow you to make optimal use of it. The game's atmosphere is also incredible; especially when you're with your squad.

My only complaint is the checkpoint saves. Mostly I don't mind -- they force you to play the game properly -- but from time to time they've really got me frustrated. That's only a single-player issue, though. I haven't even had a chance to play co-op yet, but I'm really looking forward to it, as I hear great things. And then there's the "Red Dawn" 300MB expansion pack that was recently released for free download.

I highly recommend it! The game should cost you very little, and will get you all fired up for the sequel

Check out the demos and trailers at
http://www.pterodon.com/?download
or
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/vietcong/downloads/

News Comments > Gold - Pariah
34. Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 01:09 Shadowcat

Yeah... Flashblock takes care of Flash music, but sometimes the music is integral to the site (the music plays as part of the menu flash) so blocking the music requires blocking the flash.
Ah, I see. That would be pretty irritating. I've no idea whether you can mess with flash to globally prevent it playing sound.
I am yet to see a website that benefits from the use of music.
Indeed; and I've seen precious few that did anything other than cause irritation by using Flash at all, let alone making menus play music. Frankly, I don't think I'd ever re-visit a site that did this.

News Comments > Gold - Pariah
28. Re: No subject Apr 28, 2005, 10:05 Shadowcat

Websites that play music annoy me.
And yet you continue to let your web browser play music...

News Comments > Brothers in Arms Demo
23. Vietcong Apr 28, 2005, 03:59 Shadowcat

Slightly off-topic, but I just want to point anyone who is disappointed with BIA towards Vietcong. I just bought it a few days ago, on the strength of their having recently released a free add-on (Red Dawn) with an extra co-op campaign, along with the fact that the game doesn't cost much now.

All I can say is the game rocks! Not perfect... there are some bugs, the lip-synch looks pretty weird, and the checkpoint saves can be annoying (but they definitely keep you honest), but my list of negatives is pretty tiny compared to the positives. The atmosphere is simply superb, voice acting is very decent for the most part, music is excellent, graphics are still entirely decent, missions are varied, and it has some kick-ass features that I've not seen in any other shooter... The best is the usage of the iron-sights for the weapons... if you crouch behind cover and then hold the RMB, you'll pop over the top of the cover as you aim the gun; releasing the RMB drops you back into cover. It works brilliantly. You go solo on some missions, and have a squad of up to five men (each with their own roles) in others. I highly recommend it.

News Comments > Legion Gold & Chariots of War Demos
1. No subject Apr 28, 2005, 03:36 Shadowcat

Legion Gold allows you to take the Roman Empire from its meagre [sic] beginnings to the most powerful empire in the world.
For shame, Blue! "meagre" is not mis-spelled. That's like adding a [sic] after "colour". You'll give the poor press-release author a complex...

News Comments > Falcon 4.0: Allied Force
17. Re: WOW! Apr 27, 2005, 22:46 Shadowcat

grrr.. can't edit previous reply.

A couple of LOMAC A-10 screens, in case you somehow hadn't actually heard of it:
http://www.lo-mac.com/ss/ScreenShot_020.jpg
http://www.lo-mac.com/ss/eightball10.jpg

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo