Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > The Early Show
1. No subject Sep 30, 2005, 19:55 Shadowcat

> XIII: Century Death or Glory

Perhaps that should be: "XIII Century: Death or Glory" ?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Vietcong 2 Demo
9. No subject Sep 30, 2005, 19:54 Shadowcat

Yeah, I also enjoyed the tunnels initially as a nice change of pace, but oh boy did that one sequence go on for way too long. I think they should have dropped fully half of it to balance the game better. The real joy of VC was the open-air jungle levels, after all.

It's still one of the best games I've ever played despite the tunnels, though

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 19:58.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. dogging or blogging Sep 28, 2005, 09:11 Shadowcat

OTOH, the rest of us would be wondering what the hell "dogging" and "happy slapping" were supposed to mean.

I never was sure about "podcasting". Does that have a specific protocol, or is it just a dumb new name for internet radio? I guess I should go to wikipedia and look it up...

News Comments > The Shadow of Aten Revealed
4. No subject Sep 28, 2005, 09:00 Shadowcat

"attractive and ambiguous", eh?

Allan Scott, the first is-he-gay-or-is-he-straight gaming hero?

News Comments > CoC: Destiny's End Publisher Hunt
10. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2005, 18:22 Shadowcat

> Is this game EVER coming out?

Methinks you may be confusing Destiny's End with Dark Corners of the Earth.

News Comments > Darwinia Patch, Updated Demo
14. No subject Sep 27, 2005, 07:41 Shadowcat

Nice update.

I enjoyed the original demo, but this one is pretty slick. They really did put an effort into making it accessible.

I liked the gestures and rarely if ever had a problem with them, but this new system is pretty smooth. I think that if you can use the gestures, but then just hit a button to do the same thing should the gesture be mis-recognised then I think you get the best of both worlds.

I look forward to buying the full version when I have more in the way of disposable funds.

News Comments > Heroes of the Pacific Takeoff Tomorrow
13. Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 19:59 Shadowcat

Because SWON was a flop, and they diidn't want to associate themselves with it??

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Ultimate Spider-Man
3. Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 19:58 Shadowcat

On the positive side, the official site's "Gameplay" menu offers three options:

Consoles / PC
NDS
GBA

which is encouraging.

God only knows how much Flash I had to download to get those 22 characters of text, btw. *mutter mutter bloody flash crap mutter*

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Ultimate Spider-Man
2. Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 19:40 Shadowcat

hmmm.... :/

"Ultimate Spider-Man was developed for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox video game system from Microsoft and Nintendo GameCube by Treyarch, for the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS by Vicarious Visions and for the PC by Beenox Studio."

Not that this necessarily means anything (and in particular, Beenox appear not to be the company that created the PC "Spider-Man 2"; that was evidentally "Fizz Factor").

They do say that "The PC version of Ultimate Spider-Man was completed by the Beenox Shift porting division.", which suggests that it might well still be the same game. It's still slightly perturbing that it's a different company, though.

News Comments > SWAT 4 Expansion Announced
21. Re: ... Sep 22, 2005, 19:30 Shadowcat

I don't know about 'forced', but you can always wait and find out what people say if you're concerned.

I would imagine that you can still disable them by redirecting the advertising servers' domain names, as you could with the patch. It *is* a disappointing complication, but it's very easy to do (just edit a single text file).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Land of Legends
2. Re: No subject Sep 21, 2005, 18:58 Shadowcat

Now that's just an all-around great press release!!

With its built-in matchmaking utility suite finding foes to belittle and crush is as easy as a few clicks.

I love it

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. No subject Sep 18, 2005, 18:46 Shadowcat

New forms of advertising are always a bit distressing. I've not encountered this anywhere before, but Blue's noow seems to have an advert in its URL/tab icon. Extra revenue for Blue's is all good, but these things always kinda hurt to see...

News Comments > Quake II as an MMOG
22. Re: Sep 17, 2005, 18:47 Shadowcat

Especially in the case of abbreviations, where the abbreviation BECOMES the word, regardless of what it abbreviates. "An MMOG" is correct, in this case.
You mean "acronym", not "abbreviation". My explanation (which may or may not be correct, but seems sensible) has always been that you have to take the sound of the individual letters (actually just the first letter) into account.

We don't pronounce MMOG as "Mmog", we pronounce it as "Em-em-oh-gee". Hence "An MMOG" is natural.

(And if we did say "Mmog" then "A Mmog" would sound just as natural.)

News Comments > Worms 4 Patch
2. A kick in the nuts to dial-up users Sep 13, 2005, 18:14 Shadowcat

Worms 3D SP1: ~50MB
Worms 3D SP2: ~50MB
Worms 4 SP1: ~70MB

FFS Team 17 (or Codemasters), this is ridiculous. Worms games used to be brilliant for dial-up gamers, but now you're rushing them out so early that it takes a crazy 50MB+ of downloading to fix them?! Sort it out!!

And if you release a SP2 that includes all of SP1 and no 'upgrade' version, the way you did with Worms 3D, someone needs to have their head examined.

News Comments > Vietcong 2 MP Demo
25. Re: Oh Boy! Sep 7, 2005, 19:39 Shadowcat

Evidently the devs are going after "realism" by omitting an HUD or crosshair
I found the "Vietnam mode" took away a bit too much of the HUD for my liking (or didn't provide alternative 'realistic' ways to check all the missing information), but as long as you remember to use your iron-sights, the lack of crosshair shouldn't be a problem.
The single player could have potential, I wouldn't know, but if this is the extent of the MP then one could do much better with Joint Ops or BF2/BF:V
This demo is missing the co-op mode that I think is the best part of VC online. VC2 will have 8-player vs A.I. multiplayer, which should be awesome.

News Comments > Vietcong 2 MP Demo Tomorrow
31. Re: make it STOP! Sep 7, 2005, 19:25 Shadowcat

Uh oh, a rational reply! But I was told we don't get those at this forum!
FarCry
MoH: Pacific assault
Battlefield: Vietnam
Joint Ops
Joint Ops Expansion
Soldier Of Fortune 2
Conflict Vietnam
Shellshock Vietnam '67
Elite Warriors: Vietnam

these are the ones I can name off the top of my head without referencing Gamespot etc.
Okay, that's a good list, and if I'd played any of them I would certainly have been more aware of there being more jungle-based games out there than I thought there were. I had added the "virtually" to my comment as a safeguard, and I do strongly suspect that in relative terms it is still true. These are of course made-up figures, but if 5% of FPS were set in jungles then even if that 5% equated to 100 games, it would still very much be a minority setting. I don't know what the real numbers are, but I just didn't think "Make it Stop!" was a valid response to what I still see, despite your list, as a game setting that very few developers utilise.

you pointed out in the last VC2 thread how you (inexplicably, IMHO) disliked the jungle setting of the original Vietcong.
ahh, I'll explain then. The heavy jungle foliage tends to make it very difficult to see ones opponent. I understand some like that but with the butt ugly graphics of the original it just excacerbated the problem. Also, as inferred above, how much jungle can you look at before it gets dull and repetitive?
Fair enough; I'll have to chalk it up to a simple difference of opinion, as I genuinely disagree with essentially all of that (or don't see it all as a bad thing). (1) I didn't think the graphics were ugly. (2) Given the basic setting, I thought there was plenty of variety, and I never found it dull or repetitive. (3) Finding it hard to see the opponents was a good thing. I remember being pinned down by a river, desperately trying to locate my assailants... crawling around, peeking out from cover with my binoculars, watching for muzzle flashes. There were about a half dozen of them, and it probably took me a quarter of an hour to take them out. It was tense as hell, and a massive rush when I managed it. And hey, there's always the 'radar' if you get frustrated. Like you said, some people definitely enjoy this side of it

Seeing that you remembered something I said in passing the last time I posted in a VC thread (which was what....several weeks ago if not longer?) I'm almost frightned by your attention. Should I worry?
Nah, the only reason I remembered your previous post was that I was so completely taken aback by your dislike of the game, given how amazing I thought it was. When I saw your subsequent comment here I initially thought "what, another one?", but then your username rang a bell. My memory actually sucks, so I'm probably more surprised than you are that I remembered it! Rest assured I have no clue about anything else you've ever written here (aside from your 'first-post' in the VC2 demo release thread, that is

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 19:27.

17. Re: make it STOP! Sep 6, 2005, 17:42 Shadowcat

yay....more jungle maps.

bleh
Yeah, make it STOP! No more, please!! because everyone else is doing this too!!. No, wait. Virtually no one else does this!

I'm confused, Hump... you pointed out in the last VC2 thread how you (inexplicably, IMHO) disliked the jungle setting of the original Vietcong. That being the case, I can't quite figure out why you're back again to reiterate the same point. You must be aware that most people thought the first game kicked ass, so I'm guessing it's just not for you... therefore it seems strange to me that you'd bother spending time in these threads at all.

14. Re: Kill them all and then some! Sep 6, 2005, 17:28 Shadowcat

No COOP?
Perhaps not in the demo, but the full game supports "co-op missions for up to 8 players against AI".

News Comments > The Early Show
2. Re: DMOM&M Sep 1, 2005, 17:47 Shadowcat

That was certainly fun. The game has an exceptionally impressive pedigree (with involvement not only from the talented folks at Arkane, but including a bunch of Looking Glass alumni too), and is thus far looking pretty sweet. The combat might well live up to their claims, the spell-casting has awesome possibilities, and along with everything else the potential is tremendous. Definitely one to look out for.

News Comments > SWAT 4 Expansion Revealed
57. Re: Red Baron 2 Sep 1, 2005, 01:26 Shadowcat

Never heard of that site, but it looks badass...do you have to have a copy of RB23D to run those? Or is it all included in the $30 he wants?

Very tempted to order...
You need RB3D. It's damned near impossible to find these days, but Wings of Valor will help you out.

http://www.wings-of-valor.net/

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo