Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Take Two & BioShock?
18. Re: Well Nov 30, 2005, 21:38 Shadowcat

So, it is made by the people who did System Shock 1 and 2 (Looking Glass/Blue Sky)
They were no longer using the Blue Sky name when System Shock was made, and System Shock 2 was primarily developed by Irrational Games (an offshoot of Looking Glass in some respects, but still a separate company with many new employees).

Some of the original System Shock developers are working on Bioshock of course, but your comment is fairly misleading.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
11. Weird Worlds Nov 29, 2005, 21:36 Shadowcat

Great news about the Weird Worlds download option. If SAIS had been available as a paid download as quickly as that, I would have saved some postage

If you've not heard of it yet, Weird Worlds is an awesome, quick, randomised space exploration & combat game (excellent mod potential as well), and I recommend checking it out. That press release will point you towards the demo, which is only a 17MB download.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. "Revolution Unveiled on May 9?" Nov 28, 2005, 21:29 Shadowcat

When you find yourself writing an article querying whether something may or may not be unveiled in six months, it's definitely time to move away from the keyboard and maybe go for a walk outside.

If your rumoured event is that far away, please, don't bother.

Didn't click the link... can't imagine anyone else did either.

News Comments > Two Worlds Revolve
2. Re: *Two* Worlds Nov 27, 2005, 15:38 Shadowcat

FFS.

It's bad enough seeing that crap in chat forums, but it's just plain depressing when you get it in a press-release. Have these people not heard of proof-reading?

News Comments > Pterodon FPS Teaser
4. No subject Nov 22, 2005, 16:49 Shadowcat

I'm pretty sure that Pterodon and Illusion have worked together for a long time now. My VC and Fist Alpha boxes have Illusion's name on them as well as Pterodon's. And if VC2 is getting very average reviews, the first VC was a stellar game. If they learn the right lessons from the two projects, they should come out better off.

News Comments > Ashes Announced
9. No subject Nov 21, 2005, 17:56 Shadowcat

Yeah, I thought that "two worlds collide" was just a little melodramatic for describing a test series, grand history or no... I'm glad to see it's something else entirely

News Comments > etc.
9. set to soar Nov 17, 2005, 19:53 Shadowcat

"set to soar"?!

jesus, the cost of making games has been soaring steadily for at least 15 years.

News Comments > Quake 4 Patches, SDK
21. Modern TCs Nov 16, 2005, 18:09 Shadowcat

How often do you see a really good TC with original (new) assets the last several years?
Not often, for sure. Still, every now and then you get a talented team doing the business. Personally I'm looking forward to "The Dark Mod" for Doom 3. I expect I'll buy a copy of D3 when that's finished.
http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/

News Comments > TrackMania Sunrise Free Upgrade
8. Thanks Nadeo! Nov 15, 2005, 19:59 Shadowcat

edit: erm, so this comes across like some kind of cheesy advertisement, but what the hell. I really did enjoy TMS that much. Engage your cheese shields now...

Nadeo customer support is the BEST.

The games are already solid and fun as hell, and they still go ahead and give you the updated versions for free if you bought the originals!

So often we get screwed over as some kind of 'punishment' for supporting companies by buying something when it first comes out, because a better version is then released that you have to buy all over again if you want it.

With this move (not just TMSX, but they've done the same thing with the recent free update for the much older original Trackmania) Nadeo have pretty much cemented themselves in my mind as a company who seriously cares about their customers. I'll be keeping an eye on everything they do from now on, I suspect.

Go buy these games, people... they're awesome. There's a recent demo for TMSX, so you can try it out first.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 20:03.

News Comments > Strange Adventures in Infinite Space Source Code
5. No subject Nov 13, 2005, 17:52 Shadowcat

Iikka would probably advise programmers NOT to use this code as an example of how to write a Win32 app... he specifically states in the readme file that the code is horrible, and it was only his second Windows application

He has ported the SAIS code to use SDL and SDL_Mixer instead of DirectX (the SDL libraries were also used in Weird Worlds, so they're clearly looking to be cross-platform which is good news for ports in general), so the first thing that should happen here is that someone will port the game to run under Linux. I know at least one person who for a long time only ever booted to Windows to play SAIS, so this should make them decidedly happy

The other major use will be for mod-makers. SAIS was not originally designed for mods (unlike Weird Worlds) and the feature was retro-fitted with the v1.2 patch, and there are consequently a lot of restrictions that mod-makers work under. This will enable us to eliminate or work around some of those restrictions, which is fantastic!

The SAIS mod scene isn't very active nowadays, but maybe this will kick-start it again (especially as there is no linux Weird Worlds).

News Comments > Return to Infinite Space Demo
19. Re: Great demo Nov 13, 2005, 03:21 Shadowcat

Is there an option to buy it online and download it?
No, not yet. Possibly in six months or so, going by the original SAIS, but the publisher is different this time so I really don't know for sure.

I live in Brazil, so a CD-case and stuff is a no-no for me...
They'll ship it more or less anywhere in the world, as far as I know.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. No subject Nov 12, 2005, 09:07 Shadowcat

I would just like to interject a great big "Fuck You, Sony!!!" at this point.

Never pirated a purchasable CD in my life. Never buying a Sony CD ever again.

17. Re: Great demo Nov 11, 2005, 05:00 Shadowcat

#16: That's quite possibly the oddest description I've ever heard for the game. Well, the "Elite-style trading sim" bit in any case. I can't imagine that comment doing anything other than confusing the heck out of people (including those of us who have played it

I recommend giving in to the temptation. If you liked the demo, you can look forward to much more in the full version, plus extra gameplay longevity through mods. Some of the dedicated SAIS modders are already delving into WW, so I think it has a healthy future ahead of it...

8. Re: No subject Nov 10, 2005, 17:07 Shadowcat

I thought that was Iikka Keränen. I don't see any mention of him there?
You're not looking hard enough, then

Digital Eel is Iikka, Rich Carlson (zdim), and Phosphorous.

Thought he was at Valve.
Digital Eel is their 'spare time' job (not that you'd know from the fantastic quality of the games)

Weird Worlds is awesome. Try it out, everyone.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - JoWooD Compilations
15. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 03:07 Shadowcat

Night of the Raven - Is the voice overs in English
Yes, I believe so!

Awesome compilations at a great price, these.

News Comments > More on Digital Jesters
9. Re: Bloody Digital Jesters morons Nov 8, 2005, 01:18 Shadowcat

Aren't numbers 3 & 4 redundant?
Gay Priests and Child Molesters are all either Lawyers, Used Car Salesmen, or Marketing Directors??

News Comments > New Darwinia Linux Demo
1. Wha..? Nov 6, 2005, 21:14 Shadowcat

The Darwinia Website now offers a second Linux demo for Darwinia, as well as a patch for the first penguin-powered sample of Introversion Software's digital dreamscape, although the full release is a fairly tidy 21.5 MB download.
That sentence made no sense. Well, it communicated all the salient facts perfectly well, but coherence ceased around about the word "although".

If you're trying to suggest that 21.5 MB is so small that the patch is irrelevant, I'm not sure what to say. That's ~50 minutes vs ~9 minutes over a 56K modem.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Return to Infinite Space
4. Weird Worlds Nov 4, 2005, 17:52 Shadowcat

This is going to be one awesome game, guys.

With all the fantastic gameplay of "Strange Adventures in Infinite Space", but more, bigger, better, and way WAY prettier, I'm betting that Weird Worlds is going to kick some serious ass.

The developers have taken their time to get it just right (oh, the waiting!), and it's also been designed with modding in mind right from the start, so it's a game that will keep on giving.

They're working on a demo version too.

Seriously consider picking this one up, folks. Digital Eel are a great team who know what they're doing... this genuinely is a case of "by gamers, for gamers".

News Comments > Site Seeing
1. Infinite Space Federation Nov 2, 2005, 19:38 Shadowcat

It's quite surreal seeing an announcement here for a site you worked on, when you hadn't really pointed it out to people yet

I'll clarify the description a little. IFS is a community site for Digital Eel's "Strange Adventures in Infinite Space" and the brand spanking new "Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space" (scheduled to ship today, courtesy of Shrapnel Games, huzzah!)

"Even Stranger Adventures in Infinite Space" is actually the name of a mod for the original game

See our links page to find out all about SAIS, WW, and Digital Eel...

http://www.freewebs.com/strangefederation/links.html

News Comments > Site Seeing
1. No subject Oct 27, 2005, 18:05 Shadowcat

where Pac Man chooses to drive rather than wokka wokka around

Could be fun, but damn, the picture of Pac Man in the top banner of that web site is scary as hell. I'm not sure it's right for the little freak to be in 3D, now...

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo