Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Trek Legacy Announced
7. No subject Jan 24, 2006, 17:07 Shadowcat

As long as we're speculating, isn't it rather more likely to be remeniscent of Star Trek Armada 2 than those other games?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Urban Chaos: Riot Response & Tomb Raider Plans
6. No subject Jan 24, 2006, 04:48 Shadowcat

Urban Chaos got some excellent reviews. I remember because I saw a cheap copy, looked it up, read said reviews, went back and bought it, and... was mightily disappointed.

Excellent intro video, though.

News Comments > SCI Update
1. Russian-doll companies Jan 23, 2006, 15:51 Shadowcat

Didn't SCi buy Eidos not that long ago?

How do acquisitions get approved if the purchaser is in sufficient dire straits to need to be bought out themselves??

Acquisitions like this generally seem to indicate either notable success (e.g. Disney buying Pixar) or notable failure on tthe part of the company being acquired, and it's not as if Eidos were rolling in money since the ION Storm debacle (or at least that's the reason I remember for the initial buy-out happening).

News Comments > Medieval 2: Total War Announced
21. Re: Great announcement: Concern Jan 21, 2006, 19:50 Shadowcat

3. No multiplayer campaign map? You know they want to do it, but how do you get 20-30k+ enemies to fight AND keep in sync? One machine has a hard time with 10k, but another or more players battling it out?
Um, I suspect the reason for no multiplayer campaign map has nothing to do with the technical feasibility of large scale multiplayer battles, and rather more to do with the fact that sitting and waiting for potentially an hour or more (or even 10 minutes for that matter) while some other people play through a battle that doesn't involve you would be the suckiest gameplay experience of all time.

News Comments > Medieval 2: Total War Announced
13. Re: :( Jan 21, 2006, 08:52 Shadowcat

While the first a good game, I really am sick of mideval
I always preffered Medieaval as a setting
Nnnnngggggh... it's bad enough that the word is so horribly mis-spelled by so many people in normal circumstances, but this time it's right there in front of you as you type! It's in the headline for the story!

And as confident as I am that the game will kick ass, I do have to take issue with the marketing idiots...

SEGA ... today announced 2006's most highly anticipated PC title
Well as this is the first announcement that the project exists, then it is by definition NOT the most anticipated title of the year -- it can't be, because nobody knew about it until now. You morons.

I'd also like to see Shogun revisited. Maybe another time.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 08:53.

News Comments > Site Seeing
4. Um, what?? Jan 17, 2006, 19:17 Shadowcat

From the web site:

Thereíre also many different fighting styles used to battle against the enemies from unarmed fighting to throwing cases, barrels and other physical elements, and using weapons like the Liquid-Bazooka that can freeze, glue or burn the bad dummies.

No violence

The entire game lacks violence. The fighting system is funny and ironical and enemies die with no gore. It's a game for everyone.

Unarmed fighting, throwing objects, weapons, freezing, burning, and dying. But no violence, oh no. Perish the thought (in a gruesomely violence-free manner, one presumes).

What the hell?

News Comments > Medal of Honor: Airborne Announced
26. Re: PLEASE DEVELOPERS-NO MORE WW2 GAMES Jan 17, 2006, 18:43 Shadowcat

Can we at least play a ww2 fps that lets you play a single player campaign as the germans against the russians
Yes we can, it's called Red Orchestra by TripWire Entertainment

Uh, no. The retail Red Orchestra is a multiplayer game just like the original mod versions.

John Gibson - We originally had plans for creating a full single player game based off of Red Orchestra. We spent months creating the design for the game and pitching it to publishers. It was a really great design, but perhaps a bit too ambitious for a startup game studio. Sometimes trying to create your Magnum Opus right out of the starting gate isnít the best idea.

[...]

We decided to scale back a bit and focus on our core competency, which was making a great multiplayer WWII game.

http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=2410

News Comments > MX versus ATX Ships & Demo
5. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2006, 18:14 Shadowcat

I wish PC games did this =(
Budget re-releases. Surely you get these?!

News Comments > On Counter Strike Ads
10. Re: No subject Jan 14, 2006, 05:49 Shadowcat

I have no problems with in-game advertising if it fits the universe

True though that may be, it is unfortunately a dangerous thing to say.

I guarantee that advertisers will see ONLY the following: "I have no problems with in-game advertising"

In-game advertising will, for the most part, pay no attention to the game universe in which it finds itself. To agree with it in any way shape or form only opens the door even wider to the inevitable nothing-to-do-with-this-game advertising.

Say no to advertising in games.

News Comments > Morning Previews
5. Re: Hly Crap - MS Flight Sim X pics Jan 5, 2006, 20:43 Shadowcat

The main appeal is that you can fly to almost anywhere in the world, check out its scenery and know its reasonably accurate, like a big sandbox to play in
Unfortunately, the reality is that nowhere other than the hand-detailed locations ever really look sufficiently accurate to make you feel like you're there, if you're even half-way familiar with the place.

The new terrain graphics are a significant improvement (still a bit dubious about low-level, but we'll see), but for the most part that just means you're flying over good looking terrain, not necessarily accurate terrain.

The good news is that if the standard scenery doesn't do it for you, you often can get good scenery for where you want to fly (and significant amounts of this is freeware).

Oh, and yeah... it's a long time since a P2/266 was good enough to run a modern flight sim!

News Comments > Tuesday Consolidation
5. Goes Gold? Dec 27, 2005, 21:11 Shadowcat

I don't think they duplicate the systems from a gold master console, somehow.

News Comments > Site Seeing - Sudden Strike 3 Movie
3. Re: Oh wow! Dec 26, 2005, 18:58 Shadowcat

The Sudden Strike series has always been WW2, and there were few WW2 RTS games when the first one was released.

Do you also say "GDI vs NOD! I can't wait!" when a Command & Conquer game comes out?

News Comments > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space Patch
4. No subject Dec 25, 2005, 21:23 Shadowcat

Weird Worlds is awesome, and you can now buy it as a download as well as a box for added convenience. Definitely recommended.

News Comments > Site Seeing - Faces of War Trailer
3. No subject Dec 24, 2005, 06:05 Shadowcat

I thought from the description that this was a new name for the WW2 RTS using the IL-2 Sturmovik engine, which I guess is being published by 1C, and which I think may still be formally known as "WW2 RTS" :/

News Comments > More In-Game Advertising
59. No subject Dec 20, 2005, 07:19 Shadowcat

Being subjected to advertising will never ever be a positive experience for people. I'm sure they've arranged all the "independent research" they need to pretend otherwise, but it will suck for the end-users no matter what they claim.

As for "When done properly"?! What a joke. We all know the chances of that are nil.

And "added realism" is only even relevant if the game is striving for realism. Realistic games are a minority. For the majority of games, fictional advertisements created by the game developers are more "realistic" than anything from the real world.

Maybe I can't swear I'll never ever buy a game with advertising, but I can absolutely guarantee that if I'm on the fence about a game, or trying to decide between two, and I read that this sort of bullshit is included, my decision will be made for me.

News Comments > Galactic Dream Demo Update
2. Re: Errr your kidding right Dec 19, 2005, 17:52 Shadowcat

Well no, if you didn't like it the first two times, there's no way you're going to like it now. There's only so much they will have changed in a few days.

Check the online change log before downloading new versions... they should tell you exactly what's been fixed. If they update their demo with this kind of frequency and yet don't supply a change log, it's probably not worth downloading (or at least they're certainly not giving anyone a good reason to do so).

Suggestion to Blue: I guess this is obvious, but make this news story a weekly event at the very most. It sounds as if they're still in heavy development, so it would seem that this stuff really isn't news-worthy.

News Comments > Ratbag Closed
24. No subject Dec 15, 2005, 18:30 Shadowcat

Ouch: I always forget about the GT fiasco. When people remind me I always got the impression that despite the success of DTR, Ratbag never fully recovered from all the Powerslide money disappearing down the tubes (basing such an assumption over a sequence of seemingly-rushed subsequent releases that never appeared to improve a tremendous amount on the original Difference Engine technology).

I wanted to see PS2 so badly, but heard it got 'indefinitely postponed' a long time ago. And now this. Crap!

OTOH, I didn't even know Ratbag existed outside of Australia. San Deigo and California?? Maybe I don't know anything much about them after all...

News Comments > StarForce Challenge
24. Re: lol no sattelites Dec 15, 2005, 07:08 Shadowcat

name a "must-have" starforce game
Trackmania Sunrise

News Comments > Evening Q&As
1. No subject Dec 9, 2005, 04:31 Shadowcat

Half of Digital Eel. Is that Rich plus one of Phosphorous' two heads?

News Comments > Rugby 06 Announced
5. No subject Dec 5, 2005, 17:43 Shadowcat

Well the faster-flowing thing is probably irrelevant. Rugby is far less flowing than football (by which I mean soccer, before people get confused), and there are good football games out there.

Football games have been around for longer, though, and with more competition to drive them, so it might take time for them to figure out what works and what doesn't in a Rugby game.

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo