Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Another World Remake
21. Re: Another World Remake Apr 16, 2006, 22:16 Shadowcat

I remember this game fondly. Provided the original author would get some of the proceeds, I'd certainly put a few bucks into this.
Eric Chahi was the original author (aside from the music, he made the entire game on his own, which was quite a feat even then!), and Eric is also behind this re-release. He had some help with this one, but I would say it's a fairly safe bet that some (if not most) of the proceeds will be going to him.

Fans of this game owe it to themselves to play "Heart of Darkness" which Eric worked on at Amazing Studios after Another World. The game took notoriously long to create, and probably suffered in sales as a result, but it's a true masterpiece, and an absolute joy to play.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2006, 19:12 Shadowcat

"Habitual" simply indicates an action done out of habit. It doesn't mean "always" or "constantly", but it does suggest that it is done with some regularity, so "as I habitually do sometimes" means that he has a habit of sometimes replaying Half Life, which is indeed a dumb thing to say.

News Comments > Another World Remake
13. No subject Apr 16, 2006, 18:58 Shadowcat

For those of you experiencing crashes, try confiiguring the game to run in a window. I consistently have a crash when I exit the game (which, if a game is going to crash, is certainly the best time for it to happen :), and my system recovers from that event better if I was in windowed mode.

Crashing at the start is different, but maybe this will also help here?

News Comments > The Lost for PCs Found
7. Re: No subject Apr 12, 2006, 19:10 Shadowcat

faces of war is most certainly not Medal of Honor, Company of heros isnt Brothers in Arms, Commandos isnt IL-2 Sturmovik
And no one suggested otherwise. They merely pointed out that, as a historical set of events, if WW2 is used as a game's setting then you automatically have a reasonable understanding of that setting. A game like Freedom Force vs The Third Reich is going to mess with that a bit of course, but generally speaking it's true.

the theme might be the same but it encompasses many different genres
Right. AFAIK, that's all anyone said.

horror almost always plays the same ..things that jump out of closet/dark corner, lights that turn off suddenly, creepy kids etc
Well if that's your complete definition of horror, maybe?

the horror genre is almost exclusively fps
Okay, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING?!?

FPS horror is one of the most criminally under-populated genres in gaming!

News Comments > Alone in the Dark PC Confirmed
14. Re: No subject Apr 12, 2006, 19:01 Shadowcat

how it all started with jack carnby
Edward. It was always Edward. Who the heck is Jack Carnby?

"Survival Gaming"? What the hell is that?
Its how long you play "alone in the dark" without getting up for the bathroom, food or sleep.
http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/df200205/df20020521.jpg

News Comments > Morning Previews
13. Re: Dark Messiah Apr 9, 2006, 19:55 Shadowcat

Well Dark Messiah is also not MM10 It really has nothing whatsoever to do with any existing "Might & Magic" titles, being an utterly different style of game, and using the new M&M setting (which will be shared by other new M&M games, but has nothing to do with the older M&M games). And last but not least, the developers (Arkane of "Arx Fatalis" fame) did not make any of the previous M&M games.

News Comments > Abyss Lights Demo
6. Re: Ghost of E3 past Apr 9, 2006, 19:31 Shadowcat

Why the hell is it wanting to act as a server?
That may depend on which addresses it wishes to serve. I certainly know of games that are both single- and multi-player, and which utilise the same net code to run their single-player games (i.e. server and single client are on the same machine) as they do to run the multi-player games. That would probably trigger the firewall. But if the game runs regardless, that's probably not what's going on here.

News Comments > Morning Previews
7. Re: Dark Messiah Apr 8, 2006, 00:29 Shadowcat

WTF kind of tripe is that?
Agreed. And apparently Oblivion is this guy's first ever first-person RPG.

Everything else I've read about Dark Messiah sounds fabulous, however, so don't hold this dumb preview against it.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 00:33.

News Comments > Steam Plans
32. Re: Still skeptical, but... Apr 6, 2006, 00:15 Shadowcat

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, and Vietcong (1).
A little bit newer ones, please.
Can't really help you, then. I just hope you're discounting the two I mentioned because you've played them, and not because of their age, because they're both completely awesome games.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 00:45.

News Comments > SiN Episode 1 Retail Plans
26. No subject Apr 5, 2006, 21:10 Shadowcat

I hope their business plan takes into account the people who are interested, but will not be buying this until it's completed (i.e. all episodes finished) and available on a DVD.

That's money that they simply won't be seeing for a while.

News Comments > Steam Plans
6. Re: Still skeptical, but... Apr 1, 2006, 18:58 Shadowcat

Anyone have a suggestion for me?
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, and Vietcong (1).

News Comments > Heavy Duty Delay
3. No subject Apr 1, 2006, 18:51 Shadowcat

I recall reading about this game a while back. They are doing some VERY cool things as far as the technology goes (especially concerning the animation -- I've been waiting a great many years for someone to do that, and even if this is 'only' with robots it's a start). Time will tell whether they can include a good game with the good technology, but that's enough to keep me intrigued in the meantime.

News Comments > Gold - Tomb Raider: Legend
17. Re: No subject Mar 30, 2006, 06:40 Shadowcat

it is being developed by Crystal Dynamics, whose experience on the Legacy of Kain series bodes well for the game.
Not making any predictions here (TR:L may well be fantastic), but isn't the LoK series also quite wildly variable in quality?

News Comments > Imagine an MMORPG
9. No subject Mar 30, 2006, 06:32 Shadowcat

Living life in peace...
Nothing to kill or die for...
No possessions...
That would be an unusual MMOG, at least

News Comments > Nitro Stunt Racing Revealed
12. Re: No subject Mar 26, 2006, 22:42 Shadowcat

At least that game from 'YEARS' ago had AI that you had to race against unlike the TM stuff.
TM would be an utterly different game if you could collide with the recorded opposition cars (I assume that's what you're talking about). It's not a deficiency in the game. It's intentional design.

If you want a game where you race other cars, why are you even playing TM? If you want a game where it's all about You vs The Track, Trackmania delivers magnificently!!

Halutotale: Well it certainly sounds like NSR is a totally different game, then. TM does have some aerial control, though. Perhaps NSR has more in common with Crashday? (How did that game turn out...?)

News Comments > Desperate Housewives Announced
31. No subject Mar 25, 2006, 03:33 Shadowcat

players take on the role of a new housewife who moves into Wisteria Lane and unlocks the delicious scandals hidden in the seemingly "perfect" neighborhood.
So am I the only one here thinking that you could get quite a decent Bladerunner (the game) style adventure out of this concept? Randomly select/generate 'scandals' and mess around with who is involved, so that each time you play you have to figure it all out anew. Some smart design to get the A.I. working appropriately, and you've got the basis of a completely decent game on your hands (if not one that is likely to appeal to most of us here).

Will they do something like that? I doubt it. The show is hardly devoid of game potential, though.

News Comments > NVIDIA Gets Physical
45. Re: This could help PhysX Mar 21, 2006, 01:29 Shadowcat

I have news for you, GPU's have supported fluid and cloth simulation since before PPU's were a gleam in someone's eye.
If by "support" you mean "can draw polygons for", then this is correct.

The pages you refer to are circa GDC 2003. If you think that the Ageia folks only began to contemplate this stuff sometime in the last three or four years, you're nuts.

Hell, even I was thinking about dedicated physics hardware back when I got a Voodoo 2, and I can assure you that there was no shader languages or fragment programs running on that thing.

I remember that a friend of mine assured me at the time that what with the relentless progress of CPUs, and the additional I/O issues inherent in moving such operations to an external card, dedicated physics processors would never happen

News Comments > NVIDIA Gets Physical
38. This could help PhysX Mar 20, 2006, 19:52 Shadowcat

I see a lot of people saying that this will kill PhysX, but I beg to differ.

The problem with the first dedicated physics card is that the market for it is tiny. Game developers can't make games that require it because few people will have one, so the initial uses for it will be just a bit of added glitz. I want it to become prevalent due to the long-term benefits, but it seems like a hard sell even to me.

But if nVidia can add hardware-accelerated physics with nothing more than a driver update, suddenly there's a vast customer base with hardware-accelerated physics already in their machine. That means developers actually have a market to develop for, and the hardest problem for PhysX is suddenly solved by someone else! (provided the two approaches are sufficiently compatible).

So 'all' the PhysX guys have to do is create a superior solution.

The games will come, and if CPU+GPU+PPU gives you better performance than just CPU+GPU then people will buy that PPU.

edit: oops, I see that Beamer actually said a lot of this already.
This comment was edited on Mar 20, 19:57.

News Comments > NFS: Most Wanted Support Crashes
30. What are the problems? Mar 16, 2006, 20:36 Shadowcat

Just out of curiosity, aren't these comments an indication that there is a known issue with the product?
I want to know the specifics on this, too. The comments very much suggest one or more existing issues (significant ones) that will remain unfixed, so I'd really like to know what those issues are so I can decided whether or not to ever pick this game up.

News Comments > Micro Machines v4 Announced
7. Mashed Mar 10, 2006, 20:14 Shadowcat

It doesn't have the style of the Micro Machines track environments, but "Mashed" is a game that bears some decided similarities to the MM series.

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo