Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Using Steamworks
23. Re: RAGE Using Steamworks Aug 13, 2011, 10:42 Shadowcat

Damn it. I was actually looking forward to this one, too.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tech 4 Source Release This Year
1. Re: Tech 4 Source Release This Year Aug 5, 2011, 12:12 Shadowcat

Say whatever you want about Id's games, but their repeated open-sourcing of their old game engines is nothing short of awesome.

Quite aside from the other benefits, this is the very best way to keep older games alive, and I desperately wish that more people would do it.

As a gamer, I find it really tragic that most game source code is locked away permanently by its owners, regardless of its age, and a lot of code is simply lost forever.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Jul 30, 2011, 00:32 Shadowcat

They've gone with a fairly low price, which should offset the unpolished bits. It sounds fairly ambitious and not the typical console fodder, so good luck to 'em. I hope they release a non-Steam version at some point down the track.  

News Comments > Brink DLC Next Week
11. Re: Brink DLC Next Week Jul 30, 2011, 00:23 Shadowcat

Is this the FPS with the parkour-style movement? That sounded kinda neat. What happened?  

News Comments > From Dust DRM Also Always On?
22. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 09:51 Shadowcat

Tumbler: That's incredibly generous to my mind! I wouldn't touch a game with this kind of DRM, let alone spend $20. Steam is only barely tolerable, and my standard spending limit for a game that requires Steam is $5, purely because the DRM is objectionable (I've gone over that amount in a few cases, but not too often). I've paid more for Valve's own games, but there's really no hope of them not using Steam. For everyone else, though, it's a clear choice on the part of the publisher or developer.

Personally, I'll happily spend more money on some little DRM-free indie arcade game than the average DRM-laden AAA title.

News Comments > From Dust DRM Also Always On?
21. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 09:37 Shadowcat

Asmo: What do you mean by "If the system worked perfectly"? To me, that could only mean that the end user could never be inconvenienced by problems which were not under their control (i.e. the single player game would never refuse to start because a remote server was down), and this form of DRM simply isn't capable of providing that guarantee. In that respect, it is broken by design.  

News Comments > Original War Patch
1. Re: Original War Patch Jul 26, 2011, 06:51 Shadowcat

Awesome. I love seeing old games getting continued support!

I bought this on GOG a while back and haven't played it yet, so it's nice to know I can play a shiny new version when I do

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jul 24, 2011, 23:53 Shadowcat

I've only played a little bit so far, so I can't sensibly comment. However it got loads of good reviews* when it came out, so I'd say go for it if you think it looks like something you'd enjoy!

(*) e.g. Game Tunnel named it their #1 game in their indie top-100 for 2005-2007. Of course, Game Tunnel also panned the brilliant Gravitron 2 (one of MY top games, indie or otherwise, for 2008), so individual tastes always need to be accounted for.

News Comments > Paging Dr. Lord British
7. Re: Paging Dr. Lord British Jul 21, 2011, 21:58 Shadowcat

'Honorary doctorates' really irritate me. Unless the recipient has actually done something comparable, it's a slap in the face to everyone who genuinely earned one. Reading that press release, it's quite clear that Garriot, despite the good things he's done with some of his accumulated loot, has in no way earned that title.

It saddens me both that academic institutions need (or feel that they need) to give out doctorates in order to ensure financial support, and that the recipients actually accept them.

(If they called it something different, OTOH, it wouldn't matter.)

News Comments > IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Add-on in September?
17. Re: IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Add-on in September? Jul 17, 2011, 09:44 Shadowcat

theres not a lot of modern helicopter to turn into a sim.
Even assuming we're only talking combat roles, there are plenty of helicopters which would make for great simulations (also, "modern" might refer more to the simulation than the helicopter being simulated).

News Comments > TF2 Meet the Medic Outtakes
4. Re: TF2 Meet the Medic Outtakes Jul 12, 2011, 09:41 Shadowcat

Meet the Sniper is the best of the series by a long shot.  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jun 30, 2011, 11:05 Shadowcat

I just want to say that "Buy Games Not Socks" is the best cheap bundle name ever  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Firefox Jun 28, 2011, 07:16 Shadowcat

Updates should be seamless and everyone should have latest.
There are solid reasons for using traditional schemes like (major).(minor).(patch), and when a user sees that the major version number has changed, they know that something really significant has changed in the application architecture, and that if they upgrade to that version there's a reasonable chance that some incompatibilities will ensue.

No, not everyone will have that interpretation, but that doesn't mean it's sensible to remove useful information for the people that do. With the new scheme, the version has no meaning for any user. The whole thing is a pointless backward step.

News Comments > Portal 2 Sells 3 Million
10. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 22, 2011, 23:22 Shadowcat

I've noticed a pattern (or at least several instances) of sequels being mentioned without their identifying number in headlines here, of late. That should change. Portal 2 is not Portal (and nor will Portal 3 be).  

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jun 21, 2011, 08:40 Shadowcat

2 hours? Wow. My longest games haven't exceeded 1 hour, and that's pretty much only when things have gone badly and I'm pinned down and playing cat-and-mouse to try to resurrect my chances...

But I do understand how you could spend that much time checking every possibility. I tend to try to figure out what's most likely, and ignore the options that are not yet a concern. Sometimes I end up dead as a result, mind

It's a great game. There are still some bugs, but nothing which should put anyone off buying it. The core mechanic of simulating what you think the enemy might do is unlike anything I've played before.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Firefox Jun 21, 2011, 05:50 Shadowcat

Yeah, they've completely lost the plot when it comes to version numbers. All for some pointless number war. Morons.  

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Soundtrack
5. Re: Frozen Synapse Soundtrack Jun 16, 2011, 23:45 Shadowcat

Yes, simulation is actually completely core to the gameplay. It's not really an option to play the game without running simulations, as you will die constantly from unexpected sources. But because it's such an integral part of the design, it's all good (not to mention close to unique -- you almost certainly haven't played a game like this before).

I thoroughly recommend watching the first impressions video made by Total Biscuit, as he really impresses upon you just how fun and engaging this feature is.

Then try the demo when it comes out to find out for yourself. But do watch the video first -- nothing else I'd seen had actually made me understand how important the the simulation aspect was.

I've all but completed the single player campaign now, and it pretty much rocks. I haven't even had a multiplayer game yet, and it's already been well worth the money.

News Comments > RAGE Delayed
10. Re: RAGE Delayed Jun 11, 2011, 09:07 Shadowcat

Yeah, I'm unexpectedly interested in Rage. I already knew the environments would be beautiful, but I was surprised by how good the shooting action looked in a recent video. It certainly seemed more varied and frantic than I was anticipating.

Here's hoping that Id has retained enough of its original PC focus to produce a worthy PC version. Thus far, I'm quite optimistic.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 11, 2011, 09:02 Shadowcat

According to Journal, the average Verizon customer sent out 2,068 text messages in the fourth quarter of 2010
Bloody hell. I'd love to see that data graphed out. The average is more than 22 messages a day? I doubt that I've ever sent that many messages in a single day, let alone as an average.

News Comments > id on RAGE PC Controls
26. Re: id on RAGE PC Controls Jun 10, 2011, 12:57 Shadowcat

HL stacked some weapons so you hit say 3 then a menu of weapons showed up and you hit 3 till you got to the one you wanted then pressed the fire button to select.
Quite. What the hell is Tim talking about? (or should that be "What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willits?")

Every weapon has its own key, but you have to press it twice? Why? Why not once, like every other game you've made? What the hell kind of scheme is this?

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo