Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > BlackSite: Area 51 Announced
5. Re: Marketing a Game Title Only? Jan 29, 2007, 13:14 Shadowcat

Where's the meat? Why do I care. You aren't giving me anything new. What game engine is this based on? If it's yours, what's that based on? ... I suppose this is the end of the road?
Actually, the end of the road would be more along the lines of people thinking that the freaking game engine used to create a game is somehow more important than the game itself, rather than being the largely incidental detail that it really is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sam & Max Episode 3 Launches
11. Re: Sam & Max has the advantage Jan 27, 2007, 19:14 Shadowcat

They are, after all, already working on season 2 which leads me to believe that season 1 in its entirety is complete.
It seems likely that the development is staggered, so the script for one of the final episodes might still be in flux while the final polish and bug-fixes are being applied to the next-to-release episode. Different team members would be working on different episodes.

One month would seem *far* too short a time to develop each episode, though, so they must at the least had a very long head-start on the subsequent episodes before they started the releases.

News Comments > Mac Prey Demo
15. Re: Rebuttal. Jan 14, 2007, 15:51 Shadowcat

FWIW FreonTrip, some of us were decidedly entertained by your post

News Comments > Game & Modification Development
4. Re: Good move Jan 6, 2007, 20:12 Shadowcat

Can you sell your game if you get the $100 version? The words "Personal use licenses are just $99, perfect for hobby or casual use" make it sound very much as if it's a non-commercial deal. If so, then I think Torque gives you a bit more freedom for your money.

News Comments > Making History: The Calm & The Storm Demo (Revoked)
2. Making History Dec 26, 2006, 15:38 Shadowcat

trangely, both of the two stories announcing the release have since been removed from the site
Which just maybe means that they found a problem with the demo and have decided to delay while they get it fixed, no? Why would you break the news when the official source has decided to hold back? It seems an entirely detrimental move, to me.

News Comments > New The Settlers II NG Demo
3. Re: Time limits for a demo? Dec 20, 2006, 19:45 Shadowcat

In this instance, it seems pretty reasonable. If I'm reading that rightly, you can play any number of demo games, but no single game can last longer than 90 minutes.

I've seen plenty of game demos where you had less time (frequently 60 minutes) to evaluate the entire damn thing before it stopped you from playing ever again.

News Comments > Dark Messiah of Might and Magic Patch
2. Re: Damnit Dec 12, 2006, 19:01 Shadowcat

Not ideal, but at least next time around you can try out a different play style, and the harder difficulty will be useful then.

News Comments > Sprint Cars Road to Knoxville Trial/Demo
1. Oh god Dec 10, 2006, 16:18 Shadowcat

I don't know what to say about this. My major frustration with Ratbag was that after the brilliant "Powerslide" and the very successful "Dirt Track Racing", they then proceeded to keep making the same game over and over and over again.

So I feel a little distressed that having reformed under a new company name, they are yet again doing a dirt track racing game. Especially when their last few didn't really seem to make dramatic improvements on their predecessors, from what I read. I'd love to hear that this one is a big step ahead, but if they're just going to get back into the same old rut then I'm going to have a great deal of difficulty getting interested in their games.

I guess if their target audience is big enough and willing to pay for regular iterations of this style of game, then why not do it, but I wish they'd do something different :/

(That said, I do believe they had some new stuff in the works at Ratbag, and "Powerslide Slipstream" was in development for a while, and I think they just never got the backing they needed to finish those projects, so maybe they're simply making the games they're able to? Either way, it's all kinda frustrating.)

I would buy a decent sequel to Powerslide in a heartbeat. (You hear that, publishers??)

News Comments > Weird Worlds Patch
2. Re: woohoo for WW Nov 29, 2006, 14:05 Shadowcat

I knew that a new patch was in the pipeline, but this announcement came (very pleasantly) right out of the blue! Go the Eel!

Weird Worlds rocks

News Comments > Bus Driver Announced
36. Re: Could be semi-interesting Nov 13, 2006, 17:26 Shadowcat

Then again, it could also be that someone watched way too much Penn and Teller and decided to re-create the minigame in their never-published console game.
I'm glad that Desert Bus got at least one mention

http://torrentfreak.com/desert-bus-the-torrent/

News Comments > Morning Q&As
2. Inferno Nov 1, 2006, 22:01 Shadowcat

What the heck?

This is clearly Irrational Games' "The Lost".

Stranger and stranger...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
33. No subject Oct 25, 2006, 05:29 Shadowcat

I wish everyone would stop mentioning Oblivion in the same sentence as Dark Messiah. The two games clearly have nothing but the most superficial of similarities, and it's obviously confusing to people who are only familiar with Bethesda's game.

News Comments > GRAW2 Revealed, Assassin's Creed & BiA: Hell's Highway Delayed
7. No subject Oct 25, 2006, 05:11 Shadowcat

Quite. But Ubisoft seems to pick arbitrary moments to decide that everyone has somehow forgotten about the past, and it's time to use an entirely new naming scheme, just to confuse and annoy us.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Euro Gothic 3
7. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2006, 21:54 Shadowcat

A game this size simply cannot stream fast enough of the HD. I doubt there's a fix for this issue.
Sure there is (if this is the problem) -- time. A better PC down the track with faster and more I/O bandwidth, and voila. But hell, maybe just knocking down the detail levels might help -- that might give it less to load.

News Comments > DANCE Announced
10. Re: Baby remember my name Oct 15, 2006, 16:09 Shadowcat

I suspect Blue's News readers are not the target audience for this game

remember remember remember remember remember remember remember ...
Remember you're a Womble!

News Comments > Gold - Snoopy vs The Red Baron
3. No subject Oct 12, 2006, 15:23 Shadowcat

This is the first time I've seen an official trailer released via YouTube. That's pretty weird.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the reviews.

News Comments > Prey Triton Solution
3. No subject Oct 10, 2006, 21:08 Shadowcat

Good service. I'd certainly be curious to know whether they would have done the same if Triton had closed in five years time, though?

News Comments > Gold - Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
28. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2006, 06:40 Shadowcat

I don't know what percentage Valve is getting here, but in the past it has gotten 50% which is a hell of a lot especially when the game in question was neither funded by Valve nor used the Source engine.
FYI, if "the game in question" is still Dark Messiah, then it most certainly does use Valve's Source engine. It even points this out in the press release above.

News Comments > Gold - Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
8. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2006, 16:53 Shadowcat

I can see myself playing this through a minimum of twice (and probably more) just so that I can play with the different approaches to the game (Stealth vs Magic vs Melee), so I won't be so fussed if the game isn't especially long. That said, from what I've heard I'll be quite surprised if it's especially short.

News Comments > Fast Lane Carnage Demo
6. No subject Oct 7, 2006, 08:39 Shadowcat

Well they sure do talk the talk in the readme file:

Ten to fifteen years ago, games had to focus on one thing. No technological glitch could lure people from what is the heart of video games: a good gameplay. Many ideas were tried at this time, most of them forgotten. That's why we decided to become game archeologists and to revisit the classics: Death Rally, Speedball, Smash TV, Ikari Warriors...

For us, old school is good school, just waiting for some polish. We are not making games for hardcore gamers; we just want simple, efficient and immediately fun games.

100+MB is a huge gamble on dial-up, so I'd dearly love to hear from anyone who has put some time into playing this demo.

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo