Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
7. No subject Jun 13, 2007, 05:30 Shadowcat

TButtle?
Great reference, Blue

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > id Tech Demo Movie
25. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 05:25 Shadowcat

More importantly you can now just change that texture on the fly instead of using decals to display something dynamically. Bullet holes, skidmarks, scorched earth - everything can be done in the megatexture itself. There is no limit to bullet holes any more. All these changes could even stay after a level restart. You could have games where you can change levels forever.
Um, not so much 'could' as 'would' if you did it that way. And if you don't do it that way, then I'm afraid there is still a limit to bullet holes, because eventually you'll run out of memory. Unless you're writing all those texture modifications to the hard drive like a sort of texture diff file (but that doesn't seem much different to decals, really).

If I blow hell out of a level, then die and have to restart, I'd rather it started out looking the same as it did the first time.

News Comments > Crysis Movies
17. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2007, 08:04 Shadowcat

Hump: Just stop reading about them! Seriously.

Personally I know next to nothing about Bioshock. Why? Because I don't WANT to know anything else about a game once I've decided that I'm going to buy it.

If you're really worried about spoiling a game, that quite likely indicates that you intend to play it, so... just stop reading about it. (Especially good advice when most of the so-called gaming journalists don't give a damn whether they spoil things for their readers or not.)

News Comments > Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 Demo
17. Re: Well... Jun 8, 2007, 05:00 Shadowcat

But the one thing I wish they would have added was the duck/cover/peek system from R6 Vegas, as it would seem alot more at home in the GRAW series.
I haven't played R6V, but your description makes me think of Vietcong. Vietcong 2 didn't get great reviews and I've not yet played it myself, but I can vouch for the original game which, despite some flaws, is absolutely awesome. The system for using and firing from cover is exceptionally elegant and effective (and necessary to make use of :), so I suspect you'd like it a lot.

News Comments > ATI/Steam Freebies
6. No subject May 31, 2007, 00:01 Shadowcat

I trust that "Steam will be included" does not mean mean "Steam will be forced upon you"?

And is that going to bloat the driver package?? Or is Steam tiny? (I can't see why such an application wouldn't be pretty tiny, but my bad experience with the HL2 demo *seemed* to require many MBs of updates to Steam, so I'm not sure).

News Comments > Hydrophobia Announced
10. No subject May 8, 2007, 17:55 Shadowcat

The revalation
revelation
of HydroEngine has wetted
whetted
your appetites, now get ready for the game that's going to blow everything else out of the water - literally.
figuratively
The wraps are off Hydrophobia - our revolutionary survival adventure game which uses HydroEngine to deliver the most realistic water you've ever seen. Click the links below to learn more about the facinating
fascinating
world of Hydrophobia, or click on the thumbnails to view the first ever screenshots of this extraordinary game.
Seriously, how do people not proof-read these things?

News Comments > Van Buren (Ex-Fallout 3) Tribute
6. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2007, 23:33 Shadowcat

something from 4 years ago, that will never get released
This is true
and looks terribly dated to boot
Only in the strictest sense. I think it looks really good. To me it looks like Fallout, and seems more than sufficient to convey the atmosphere required.

News Comments > Inhabited Island Becomes Galactic Assault
1. No subject Apr 27, 2007, 01:36 Shadowcat

Sounds like a typical game name change to me.

Go the turn-based strategy, in any case!

News Comments > TrackMania United NA Date
5. Re: No subject Apr 27, 2007, 01:35 Shadowcat

Th European release didn't include the Starforce drivers / rootkit stuff. It had binary encryption from Starforce, but that's completely different to the software that everyone gets up in arms over (I gather that Nadeo decided against it for TMU as a result of the general Starforce backlash).

I suspect the NA release will be the same. I certainly can't see any reason why they would go back to the old ways, in any case.

News Comments > Human Head's Home Burns
13. No subject Apr 22, 2007, 06:22 Shadowcat

Fires suck. I hope that nobody lost anything irreplaceable.

News Comments > Infinity Ward Announcement Next Week
36. No subject Apr 22, 2007, 06:17 Shadowcat

There's nothing quite like a press-release that nobody bothered to proof-read to make me even less interested in a game than I already was (which, as we knew nothing about it previously, means the numbers are in the negatives right now).

News Comments > TrackMania United U.S. Plans
13. Starforce Apr 8, 2007, 22:39 Shadowcat

Everything I've read says that Trackmania United does NOT contain the Starforce driver/rootkit type issues that all the Starforce complaints are based on.

It *does* use binary encryption from the Starforce company, BUT that is an entirely different technology from the one that everyone complains about.

TM United does not put Starforce drivers on your system.

News Comments > GDC Awards
9. Aquaria Mar 12, 2007, 15:34 Shadowcat

Aquaria sure does look purdy. Looking forward to a demo of that one!

Will be checking out a few of the other indies as well.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - UK TrackMania United
6. Starforce Mar 11, 2007, 20:36 Shadowcat

SlamDunk is correct -- the component of the typical Starforce-protected game (including previous Trackmania titles) that causes all of the concerns and apparent troubles for some people is entirely absent from Trackmania United.

No Starforce drivers are installed to your system, whatsoever. If your system was already free of Starforce, it will continue to be so with this game.

This removes the only remotely sensible excuse for not owning a copy of this game. TM Sunrise was the most fun I'd had with a computer game in a very long time... TM United is going to rule.

News Comments > Site Seeing
5. Re: Nice Movie Feb 17, 2007, 18:00 Shadowcat

I wonder if there is any connection to the old Comanche series guys.
No, that was Novalogic. This is an enhanced version of Razorworks' EECH, which was the sequel to EEAH (Apache vs Hokum), and it bears absolutely no resemblance to Novalogic's games.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Google Feb 16, 2007, 19:53 Shadowcat

Google and in-game advertising?

So much for "Do no evil". I guess that policy really has been sacrificed now that they have shareholders.

I can't wait for them to trot out the surveys pretending that gamers actually want this crap.

Bastards.

News Comments > Game Downloads - Like a Virgin
7. No subject Feb 13, 2007, 13:25 Shadowcat

"A World Of My Own"? Could they possibly try any harder to sound like "MySpace"? (not that it's not a sensible market to go after, I expect, but sheesh...)

News Comments > Gamecock Media Group Formed
11. No subject Feb 12, 2007, 13:20 Shadowcat

For those who are thinking it's a completely inexplicable name, "weathercock" might provide some explanation. Still a pretty odd choice, though.

News Comments > ArmA: Armed Assault NA Date, Title
6. Re: Great Feb 12, 2007, 13:15 Shadowcat

But why change the name? ArmA: Armed Assault was just fine.
Agreed; this only makes it less likely that people will recognise it. Such changes are often a result of region-specific trademarks, though. There's probably something out there in the US that is sufficiently similar to "Armed Assault" that it was considered safer to avoid potential legal issues, and just change the name.

News Comments > LGS Unveiled
5. Re: Looking Glass Studios Jan 31, 2007, 23:59 Shadowcat

KICK ASS, Looking Glass is back! Oh wait...
Sigh :/

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo