Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock 2 Confirmed
31. Re: No subject Mar 12, 2008, 13:56 Shadowcat

1. freeze enemy 2. use the wrench. 3. repeat all the way until disappointingly inane boss fight.
If you repeated the same attack combo for the entire game, then it's not entirely the game's fault that you got bored (although it is partly the game's fault, because it never puts you in any danger, so there's almost never any need to change your approach).

Sure you can do that, but why restrict yourself when you have so many other tools to play with? The game doesn't force you to modify your tactics, but that doesn't mean you can't do it anyway, and inject some variety into the proceedings.

That boss scenario was rubbish, though, and the zero-penalty respawn utterly hamstrung the gameplay.

Nice atmosphere but the story had some glaring issues/plot holes if you think for a few moments about it.
For sure. But there aren't many games that manage to avoid this (hell, very few action games actually attempt a story of any notable depth). I am far more willing to forgive this than I am a major gameplay design flaw.

It's a shame, because Bioshock is packed full of all kinds of awesomeness.
This comment was edited on Mar 12, 14:00.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock 2 Confirmed
17. No subject Mar 11, 2008, 21:33 Shadowcat

the sequel to the wholly owned and internally developed title
Sure, it was "internally developed" by an external company, which 2K eventually purchased and renamed.

Ah well. Sad to say, but I don't care so much any more, not after Irrational intentionally crippled Bioshock's gameplay so badly with that Vitachamber policy. (How they could take such a good working idea from the System Shock games and mess it up so badly is still beyond me.)

Still, maybe (just maybe) they'll improve matters for the sequel. I'm not holding out many hopes of that happening, but you never can tell.

News Comments > 5.56mm Full Metal Jacket Mod
24. Re: ... Mar 10, 2008, 01:20 Shadowcat

The potential of per-pixel hit detection is even more exciting. You could shoot a very heavily armored opponent in a specific spot and then continue shooting that same spot
Per-texel, perchance? Per-pixel would be fairly meaningless (at the extreme case, your opponent is rendered as one pixel).

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. No subject Mar 7, 2008, 01:55 Shadowcat

Hell, I only switched to XP last year. The author of that article is crazy if they think XP has a practical lifespan of only 2-3 more years.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 Manual Patch
1. No subject Feb 16, 2008, 19:19 Shadowcat

Manual patch? Is "errata" not good enough any more?

News Comments > Aliens & Red Faction Subtitled, Aliens to PCs?
15. Re: Sounds like.... Feb 14, 2008, 05:42 Shadowcat

I'm STILL waiting for an AvP movie done right before I want a game of it.
Why wait for movies? The original AvP game was freaking awesome. And still is, for that matter.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. No subject Jan 27, 2008, 18:41 Shadowcat

Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed
(a) Isn't that a Chuck Norris joke?
(b) They're seriously calling their game that? I wonder if Gamecock are involved as well.

News Comments > The Return of the Prince
14. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2008, 17:32 Shadowcat

Don't judge games by demos. If you do, you'll miss out.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

News Comments > Kane & Lynch: Dead Men Demo
34. Re: No subject Jan 12, 2008, 21:33 Shadowcat

you play 5 minutes worth and you've just played everything this game has to offer.
FWIW, the same was true of Max Payne, and I enjoyed that plenty.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 21:36.

News Comments > BioShock Content Coming
37. Re: So um... Dec 1, 2007, 20:02 Shadowcat

I didn't use many active plasmids. Why bother when the shotgun was all the plasmid I needed?
For me it was because the only way to get some variety into the gameplay is to make yourself to try out different weapon/plasmid combos and strategies. There's no NEED to do this, because the game never puts you in any danger (god damn their idiotic 'auto-vita-chamber' stupidity), but you'll get a bit more out of the game if you at least try everything out for a while.

News Comments > Ramayan 3392 A.D. & More Virgin Comics Games
4. Rayman 3392 A.D. Nov 27, 2007, 15:04 Shadowcat

Anyone else mis-read that title?

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor Date Poll
2. No subject Nov 9, 2007, 00:08 Shadowcat

If anyone votes for an earlier release date (for any game, ever), they're morons. The more time spent on the game, the better.

News Comments > Added European Duty on Steam Call of Duty 4
4. No subject Nov 7, 2007, 05:52 Shadowcat

I see now why Valve was deactivating games being played from 'incorrect' regions recently.

FFS. Region-locking is one of the most retarded aspects of console gaming. Anyone involved in enabling this 'feature' for PC games is a total wanker, plain and simple.

News Comments > Crysis DX9 Demo Tweak
69. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 19:08 Shadowcat

(edit: ah, never mind.)
This comment was edited on Nov 2, 19:20.

News Comments > Spore in Six Months
5. No subject Oct 24, 2007, 20:05 Shadowcat

Methinks the meaning of "hardcore" has been severely diluted.

News Comments > Jericho Available in NA
1. No subject Oct 23, 2007, 17:19 Shadowcat

the press release on VE is interesting in where it does and doesn't differ from that European announcement
Some odd differences there, for sure.

"en route" becomes "along the way"
"team" becomes "squad"
"creative works" becomes "horror fiction"
"scariest" becomes "fright-filled"

(or was it the other way around?)

News Comments > The Princess Bride Game
11. No subject Oct 3, 2007, 16:51 Shadowcat

It's fairly extraordinary when a film of a book is utterly brilliant, but that was the case with The Princess Bride.

It's almost incredible when a game of a book or film is anything other that complete crud.

So what MORON gave the green light to this project, I ask?

News Comments > Weird Worlds Patches
2. Platform differences Oct 1, 2007, 23:49 Shadowcat

If you glance further down the page, you'll observe that the large list of changes to the Mac version matches rather precisely with the lists for v1.2 and v1.22 combined.

One presumes that the Mac version was simply lagging behind a little until now.

kimbambaman: Check out the Weird Worlds demo! It's a really great game.

News Comments > Empire Earth III in November, Pre-Orders This Week
2. Re: Mad Doc = POOP Sep 25, 2007, 18:01 Shadowcat

Except that they created the previous Empire Earth title as well, and it was rather highly acclaimed.

Not to say that Mad Doc don't have a somewhat patchy track record (I'm still sad about Attack Squadron), but they certainly seem to be hitting the mark with the Empire Earth series.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Sequel Titled
37. Project Origin? Sep 9, 2007, 07:39 Shadowcat

Wow. Monolith must be kicking themselves. I mean, FEAR was a cheesy name and all, but compared to this one it was genius. "Project Origin" is about as lame a name as I can imagine, and now it looks like they're stuck with it.

(The idiot who came up with the "Whatever" ad campaign for Shogo probably loves it, though.)

To top it all off, the name is quite fantastically unsuited for the sequels which they're bound to want to create. Brilliant.

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo