Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > WAR Early Access Detailed
22. No subject Sep 2, 2008, 05:18 Shadowcat

Can I get an official pronunciation guide for "WOAORMMORPG"?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Clutch Revealed
11. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2008, 23:43 Shadowcat

I think I82 pretty much killed off I76.

But hey... there's not much stopping you from playing I76 (well, it was a wee bit unstable last time I tried, but it basically worked. I can't remember whether I was using D3D or a Glide wrapper, or software rendering. I do remember that one of them was completely screwed, though

News Comments > Clutch Revealed
9. No subject Aug 29, 2008, 07:05 Shadowcat

set in the post-apocalyptic ruins of the Large Hadron Collider
That's inspired. I love it

News Comments > Small Left 4 Dead Delay
22. No subject Aug 25, 2008, 16:31 Shadowcat

So they realised they could delay a bit to coincide with the Half Life anniversary of November 19, and consequently decided to release it on November 20 instead. Does that make any sense to anyone? (Not that I care when it comes out, but this explanation/reasoning is just plain weird.)

News Comments > Prince of Persia: Dancing on the Ceiling
5. Re: Spider-Pig! Aug 22, 2008, 20:38 Shadowcat

I can suspend my belief enough to watch someone running across walls but ceilings may prove too much
I also have some general concerns along those lines.

I watched a trailer yesterday which had a lot of magical bounce pads which flung the prince a long way across a level (usually towards another bounce pad), and I have to say it didn't appeal much.

I played Sands of Time (which I loved), and one of the things about the levels was that, although they are completely contrived to provide the player with this unlikely path to a destination, there is still enough of a sense that you are using your athletic prowess to make your way through a real space.

With these bounce pads, I was losing the sense that the prince was using his skills to overcome the defences of a location, and instead it really did look like him following the pre-ordained convoluted path point A to point B.

Additionally, you could invariably look ahead and figure out exactly how you wanted to progress in Sands of Time, whereas the effect of the bounce pads seemed so large and so variable that figuring out your path more than a move or two ahead could be very tricky, which added to the sense that the prince couldn't really plan his approach.

These apparent differences between the games are purely a question of the suspension of disbelief, but Sands of Time just seemed to do this better.

Oh, and the other thing was the side-kick... the prince has this special glove/claw which is supposedly the thing which enables him to stick to walls and such, but the woman is always following behind and achieving the same acrobatic feats without such a device. The inconsistency was quite distracting. That said, she did seem to be able to teleport around, so I expect the answer is just 'magic', and it is probably explained in the game.

I didn't much like the prince's voice acting either.

Otherwise, it looks kinda awesome The art style certainly looks 100 times better in motion than it does in screen shots.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 20:42.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Tank Universal
5. No subject Aug 22, 2008, 20:13 Shadowcat

I picked this up based on the pre-order offer of getting Shadowgrounds as well

I previously bought the sequel Shadowgrounds Survivor -- which rocks -- so $10 for the first one AND Tank Universal was a no-brainer for me.

I've only played the Tank Universal demo so far, and it was quite neat, without showing any signs of brilliance, but I was willing to risk $5 on finding out if the full game delivered the goods.

News Comments > Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Announced
17. Re: Awesome! Aug 15, 2008, 23:19 Shadowcat

I still live in hope that SOMEONE will remake Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri
I've been replaying that one recently. Just so you know, it runs flawlessly under DOSBox, if you have a vaguely recent CPU in your PC.

News Comments > Khronos Hopes for More Streamlined OpenGL 3.1
7. No subject Aug 14, 2008, 21:57 Shadowcat

Frankly if the OpenGL API is in such a bad state, I think they should have taken a leaf out of Microsoft's book and forked the API properly. Games using DirectX 7 do not (in theory) break when you install DirectX 9, because DX9 contains the DX6 API, and the hardware still has drivers to support it.

They should simply have retained the existing OpenGL 2.x API, and created an independent OpenGL 3 API that does not conflict.

Existing CAD applications wouldn't suffer any ill effects, and they could have made a fresh start on a proper version 3. It seems kinda obvious, really?

News Comments > BioShock Interview
37. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2008, 02:09 Shadowcat

He kept saying they were trying to revolutionize the shooter genre
As I think was mentioned in this current interview, during development Irrational found that the general public didn't seem too interested in Bioshock, despite the great press.

As a result, they went on a publicity spree touting Bioshock as a shooter first and foremost. If you came in at this stage, this would have been all you ever heard from them on the subject.

To the dedicated fans, the impression given was that the game would still have all the depth they were anticipating, and this is certainly what was talked about earlier in the development cycle.

So no, Levine and his team weren't at cross-purposes. They just switched tack on their marketing approach. I don't know whether their own marketing affected the final direction of the game, but it wouldn't really surprise me if it did, given the end product.

10. Re: Dumbing it down Aug 10, 2008, 17:26 Shadowcat

But at the same time look at System Shock. From my knowledge it is top ten of all time PC Games classic, but failed commercially.
System Shock is the best PC game of all time, IMHO. SS2 was also good, if not quite in the same league. Both games were profitable, so it depends what you mean by "failed". If you haven't actually lost money, then I think you're just discussing the degree of success, personally.

Certainly Bioshock has done better commercially, but then SS/SS2 did not have anything remotely like the marketing campaign that BS enjoyed, and for all that I wish it were otherwise, marketing seems to have more effect than anything else on the success of most games.

3. Dumbing it down Aug 10, 2008, 08:45 Shadowcat

I'm saying, do you prefer to have a targeted, "These are the kind of players that we want," or do you want it to be truly, truly, "everyone can pick that up" type of game?

CK: Well, we want to sell our game to as many people as possible, because we don't believe that the game has to be brought down to any particular group of people; we believe that all gamers are intelligent, and all gamers want an exciting, mature, intellectual, and deep gaming experience.
If you happen to read this, Chris, I'd just like to point out that this is what people mean when they say you are "dumbing it down for console". The expression may be based upon stereotypes, but the point is that the notion that a game should be for everyone implies a lowest common denominator that you are explicitly pandering to.

You know that saying "You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time"?

A truly great game is quite likely to be like the former. It probably won't be for everyone (because amazingly enough, different people like different things), but those who like it will LOVE it, and it will be remembered as a classic of its kind.

Your attitude will ultimately produce games fitting the second statement. It caters to everyone, but each person will only love it some of the time. These games might sell well, but will never be remembered as truly great, because almost everyone who plays it will be left thinking "if only..."

I'm not saying that it's not a valid business direction (although as a gamer it genuinely saddens me to see it happen), but it would be nice if you (and other people treading the same path) would accept that by going in this direction you absolutely are "dumbing it down".

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 08:46.

News Comments > Bionic Commando: Rearmed Movie
2. Re: costs more on pc?!! Aug 9, 2008, 06:47 Shadowcat

We're still only talking $15, mind, and apparently the PC version will be getting some additional challenge rooms via a patch, so you will get a bit extra.

Even so, $10 is pretty much a no-brainer purchase for me for something good-looking like this, whereas the extra $5 makes it more of a try-the-demo-and-see affair.

News Comments > New Battlezone II Beta Patch
11. Heavy Duty Aug 6, 2008, 11:22 Shadowcat

The recent videos of this seem to indicate a radical change in gameplay since I first read about it (but then maybe the older stuff was a bit vague, and this was always the intention?)

They have some seriously kick-ass animation technology happening with their mechs, in any case

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Thailand halts Grand Theft Auto sales Aug 5, 2008, 05:15 Shadowcat

Police said the youth, an obsessive player of "Grand Theft Auto," showed no sign of mental problems during questioning and had confessed to committing the crime because of the game.

"He said he wanted to find out if it was as easy in real life to rob a taxi as it was in the game," chief police investigator Veeravit Pipattanasak told Reuters.
I guess that you need to wear a large neon sign flashing "I have a mental problem" in order for it to be recognised.

Seriously... anyone who carries out an armed assault (consequential murder or not) in an attempt to imitate a video game most definitely HAS a mental problem.

News Comments > New Arvoch Conflict
4. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2008, 22:58 Shadowcat

And that's a reasonable answer. Cheers.

I was of course presuming that most of the download size was taken up by external assets.

I do still think that 25MB is on the large side for dial-up users, but given your explanation I can certainly understand the significant advantages of releasing updates in this fashion (or perhaps, the significant issues with doing it any other way!)

News Comments > New Arvoch Conflict
2. No subject Aug 3, 2008, 08:03 Shadowcat

As usual the update serves as a trial version as well as an update for older versions
I realise that 25MB is small by comparison to many things nowadays, but I don't understand why a company would ever refrain from taking reasonable steps to reduce bandwidth use. Downloading the entire game every time a new version comes out must be a massive PITA for dial-up users. Why not release a patch?

News Comments > Google Ad Sense for Games
24. Evil Jul 30, 2008, 18:07 Shadowcat

Maybe Google's new policy is "do not evil, unless there's shitloads of cash in it for us".

News Comments > Downloadable Watchmen Game Plans
1. No subject Jul 23, 2008, 17:45 Shadowcat

Ah crap.

Having seen what has been said and shown of the film thus far, I have some hope that it will be as decent an adaptation as we could hope for.

But this? This is going to suck. You just know it.

News Comments > Rebellion acquires Razorworks
9. Enemy Engaged Jul 20, 2008, 07:59 Shadowcat

Unfortunately, I think the chances of another serious flight simulation from Razorworks is slim-to-nothing.

That said, there is an EECH2, which is an update to the original EECH, made (I think) by the same people who did a similar update to Rowan's "Battle of Britain" a few years ago.

http://www.eech2.com/home.html
http://www.worthdownloading.com/game.php?gid=2453

I don't know whether this is better than the highly-modded original game, but I thought it was worth a mention.

News Comments > Project Origin Trailer
27. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2008, 06:54 Shadowcat

That combined with the action->creepy stuff->action->back to creepy stuff transitions that were sometimes very abrupt kept me wondering what was next.
I'm betting on "action".

I just completed FEAR and Extraction Point. XP was ludicrously disappointing in terms of story... excellent combat, and decent variety in the levels, but an utterly unsatisfying ending made the whole experience seem hollow.

I'm interested enough to pick up Project Origin at some point. I just hope Monolith do a drastically better job of continuing their storyline from the first game.

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo