Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Sierra Server Closures Planned
33. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2008, 20:44 Shadowcat

We requested the source code a few months back but were told by Sierra/VU that they couldn't be bothered to look for it in their archive.
Are you serious? Is that genuinely what they said?

If so, then that is just jaw-dropping.

If they seriously have no issues with people having the source code, but they can't be bothered finding it... My god. These people have no heart (and no love of games).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free Sacred Gold
4. No subject Oct 2, 2008, 22:17 Shadowcat

Blue, GameTap does not mean 'free' (or, more to the point, 'accessible') for a great many, if not most, countries. (At least, I believe this is still the case -- the recent story about them expanding into Europe indicates that they are still locking their service down to specific places).

Maybe the headlines could read "<gamename> free on GameTap" instead, to avoid that little let-down when we reach the paragraph below...

News Comments > More Steam Offerings
4. Gravitron 2 Oct 1, 2008, 20:46 Shadowcat

Gravitron 2 is truly awesome; the best Thrust-ish game I've ever played, and an absolute steal at $5.

You can also buy it from the author's site for the same price if you dislike Steam.

If you have ever enjoyed a Gravitar/Thrust type game, buying this is a no-brainer. And for everyone else, there's a demo

Hit Escape after starting the game to get at the control configuration menu, btw.

News Comments > Spore DRM Post of the Day
23. No subject Sep 29, 2008, 17:07 Shadowcat

Verno wrote:
Meh, I do agree with the guy's editorial on PA that it's really becoming overblown. I always just weigh the DRM versus how I feel about the game and then make a decision.
I find that a curious statement because, to me, the very fact that the DRM actually factors into your purchase decision AT ALL means that it is not an overblown issue.

News Comments > 2, Part 2
9. 5 years? Sep 25, 2008, 09:39 Shadowcat

How did 5 years go past that quickly? Yikes.

News Comments > GameTap Goes Global
2. Global? Sep 24, 2008, 22:48 Shadowcat

I'm confused. Are they going global, or are they limited to North America and Europe?

The two are not even close to being the same thing.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Hell's Kitchen: The Game
5. No subject Sep 23, 2008, 15:54 Shadowcat

If this was a mod for "Condemned", it might be quite appealing.

News Comments > Open Red Alert
4. Re: Art assets etc. Sep 21, 2008, 18:38 Shadowcat

No, you're still wrong

Red Alert (the first one) was released for free. Which is to say, the art and other assets were released for free, along with the original executable.

With the source code being available, people can / have made an "Open Red Alert" which creates a NEW executable with which to play the game (which as mentioned is conveniently also freely available).

(EDIT: Actually, it sounds rather like the source code in question is a brand new reimplementation of the game from scratch, rather than a port of the original source code.)

Why do this? For the same reason that playing Doom using one of the modern source ports is more enjoyable for most of us than playing Doom in its original 320x200 pixelated un-glory.

People can potentially now make cross-platform versions of the game (Mac, Linux, PalmOS even), they can make sure the game is stable on newer hardware and operating systems, they could provide for high res graphics. There are all manner of things that can be done with the source code.

If you're happy playing the game with its original executable (as most people probably will be), then don't bother with Open Red Alert, but that doesn't mean the project is pointless

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 18:45.

News Comments > New Mount & Blade
17. Thanks Camaro76! Sep 21, 2008, 02:29 Shadowcat

Blue's News Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

News Comments > id: Rage May not Support Mods
18. The Dark Mod Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Shadowcat

If you're looking for epic Doom 3 modding efforts, and you have any kind of affection for Looking Glass's "Thief", then you absolutely need to know about this one:

http://www.thedarkmod.com/

News Comments > Steam Deals
20. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2008, 07:49 Shadowcat

Does no one here care about Gumboy and his Crazy Adventures?
Gumboy Crazy Adventures is good fun. Gumboy Tournament sounds very different, and I haven't really been interested, but for $5 I might be persuaded, despite my dislike of Steam.

If you don't have either than $5 is an absolute steal.

Crazy Adventures is a bit weird in that the goals of the tutorial levels (of which there are many) bear absolutely no similarity to the goals of the 'real' levels. It's more like the tutorial is a bonus game type. The proper levels have some absolutely gorgeous graphics and sound, and can be a bit magical at times. Fairly unique, beautifully presented, and definitely worth the asking price.

News Comments > New Evochron Renegades
4. Re: Worth it? Sep 12, 2008, 14:22 Shadowcat

IDS (I forget what it stands for) where your ship's onboard computers automatically handle the thrusters to make the ship fly more like one in a traditional space sim.
I'm going to guess Inertial Dampening System, going by that description.

I-War had the same kind of thing, and it worked nicely.

One of these days I'll have to try Ecochron... I keep on hearing good things about it.

News Comments > Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss Website
8. At last, you are asleep. Sep 11, 2008, 09:19 Shadowcat

For three nights, each attempt to sleep has brought you starting from your bed in fright, with no memory of what horrified you so.

With a sickening sense of deja vu, you begin to dream.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 09:20.

News Comments > Project Origin Becomes F.E.A.R. 2, Date Revealed
26. Re: No subject Sep 10, 2008, 05:45 Shadowcat

Thanks, siapnar. The whole ATC thing, and the weapon similarities went right over my head Too long since I've played Shogo, clearly. I was amused that neither that article nor the comments the followed made reference to the one Shogo-related thing I'd seen in the game.

Oh, and for anyone reading this who is interested, Shogo is one of the initial titles in the gog.com catalogue! You'll be able to buy it DRM-free for US$6. Very cool.

News Comments > Project Origin Becomes F.E.A.R. 2, Date Revealed
24. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2008, 07:45 Shadowcat

I'd take SHOGO 2 over NOLF3 any day.. although we may not get it because it appears as though FEAR is set in the same universe, kind of indicating that they are continuing SHOGO's legacy via FEAR.
Are you referring to that one easter-egg news bulletin from Radio Maritropa? I didn't see anything else in FEAR or FEAR:XP that referred to Shogo in any way. What did I miss?

News Comments > Far Cry 2: Lose A Buddy, Lose Content
42. Re: RE: Great Idea Sep 6, 2008, 20:54 Shadowcat

Jerykk wrote:
Uh, how is this innovative? RPGs have been doing this for years.
Exactly. I was staring bewildered at this article, wondering why this was somehow news-worthy?! If a character is the sole entry point for a quest and they die beforehand, OF COURSE you'll lose access to that quest. Why is everyone not just saying "Well d'uh." ?

News Comments > Good Old Games Beta Next Week
13. Re: Important question: Sep 3, 2008, 17:06 Shadowcat

So, which Interplay game to get?
Anyone without "Giants: Citizen Kabuto" needs to rectify the matter asap.

I see a bunch of games on top picture but is that really all?! I was looking forward to Tie Fighter (best game ever!!!!) and the X-com series, the original mind you. Any word if thoose games will be there?
Based on their stated aims, I can pretty much guarantee that GOG would love to offer those games, but they can only sell what they have the rights to sell.

Frankly I'd be (very pleasantly) surprised if either of those titles were available through GOG, at least on launch.

But here's the thing... The way I see it, if GOG is successful, it can only grow, and over time more and more of the games we loved will be licensed to them to sell. If GOG dies, this can't happen.

I hope that they surprise the hell out of me with their initial offerings, but I'm also looking to the future and thinking about the sort of catalogue they might have in time, if gamers support them now, so I know I'm going to do some shopping there regardless.

I would suggest that everyone do likewise, if you also feel strongly that a site selling games unencumbered by DRM of any kind is a hugely important step forward. Let's not let this fail.

News Comments > BioShock Postmortem
11. Looking Glass Sep 3, 2008, 06:22 Shadowcat

It seems that there's still a lot of confusion out there about LGS. Read this:

http://ttlg.com/articles/lgsclosing.asp

News Comments > Metaverse
2. Re: LHC rap Sep 3, 2008, 06:14 Shadowcat

God that is cringe inducing
Aw, how can someone geeky enough to quote Arthur C. Clark in their signature say that?

It's funny, genuinely educational, and the rhymes are good. I love it.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 06:16.

News Comments > New WicEd
1. WicEd Sep 2, 2008, 20:53 Shadowcat

I see what they did there.

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo