Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Oddworld Interview
2. Re: Oddworld Interview Dec 22, 2008, 21:10 Shadowcat

Quite!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Prince of Persia Dec 10, 2008, 23:22 Shadowcat

Reference for the "no DRM" comment please, because I don't believe that for a second.

Edit: Okay, searching and seeing several comments backing this up (for the DVD version only; not for downloadable version). Very interesting. I loved Sands of Time, so I'm now officially interested in this. The trailer I saw left me slightly underwhelmed (largely because of the jump-pads, which I thought took away from the feeling of making your own path through a level -- a feeling which was just as manufactured in SoT, admittedly, but you could at least suspend disbelief in those environments).

However with the same team behind it I'm thinking it will have oodles of atmosphere; and with no DRM I'll be happy to buy it. Nice move Ubisoft, if this really is true.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2008, 23:32.

News Comments > Good Old Games Gets Unreal
18. Re: Good Old Games Gets Unreal Nov 19, 2008, 03:44 Shadowcat

Sadly, neither Epic nor id are ever going to make games like that again since they are now console developers.
Well the upcoming "Quake Live" essentially IS Quake 3, so that's not entirely true (even if this isn't quite what you meant).

News Comments > Prince of Persia Interviews
1. Re: Prince of Persia Interviews Nov 19, 2008, 03:02 Shadowcat

So.... it's just like every game, ever (except for all the retarded 'Simon' mini-games where it tells you which button to press in which order). I can't think of many games where the idea isn't for the controls to become second-nature, so that you can focus on the game.

If you wanted to pick a comparison in order to make that particular point, Guitar Hero is a seriously weird one to choose, given that you're making Prince of Persia.

Anyway, jump-pads aside (I really disliked that part of the videos I saw), the new PoP is looking pretty neat.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2008, 05:29.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Nov 16, 2008, 20:24 Shadowcat

The Painkiller thing sounds a bit of a non-event, really. 7400% increase in sales for a several-years-old game? How many copies of Painkiller were being purchased on average at the time? Maybe it was one copy a week, in which case Yahtzee caused an additional 73 people to buy the game that week. Definite cause and effect, but hardly worth making a song and dance about. A percentage is a bit useless unless we have at least one solid number to apply it to...  

News Comments > No Western Hellgate Revival
18. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 5, 2008, 05:41 Shadowcat

Guys... Come on. Don't make this about Hanbit failing their 'Western' Customers when they never had the rights to begin with!
I can't see anyone here suggesting otherwise? The only post that might have caused confusion was mine, I guess, but I wasn't directing any ill feeling towards Hanbit whatsoever.

News Comments > No Western Hellgate Revival
13. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 18:42 Shadowcat

Agreed. This is serious 'WTF?' territory. There's nothing to stop them from extending a limited license to Hanbit, with the proviso that NAMCO can retract it at a future date if they ever actually step back up and start running it themselves.

Why create bad blood between you and the western subscribers (who absolutely WILL hold a grudge) when there's a perfectly good solution just sitting there waiting?

Unless Hanbit doesn't have the resources (hardware and support infrastructures) to operate the game in western regions, that is.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Demo Only One Week
29. Re: Left 4 Dead Demo Only One Week Oct 29, 2008, 20:42 Shadowcat

Their game, their release date, their choosing.
Well sure. I'm not saying I'm going to sue them for breach of My Almighty Gamer Rights. I'm just saying that it's a dumb decision, that will cause a lot of people not to have a proper go with it and consequently not buy it.
It's been stated for a couple months now that the game would get a demo shortly before release.
And you all understood at the time that said demo would stop functioning one week later? (As I've never heard of such a thing before in all my years of gaming, I'm voting a big "no" on that one.)
You've had plenty of time to pre-arrange something with friends
Sorry if I don't organise my life around game demo release dates. Or full retail release dates, for that matter.
if you are incapable of just playing it online with any 3 other of the thousands online that will be trying it
Unfortunately I have long since given up on the general gaming populous not being incredible dickheads online, so playing with strangers doesn't appeal much. Even if three quarters of them are fine, I'm still much happier knowing there's no chance of some illiterate thirteen year old spewing insults in my game. As such, I'm only buying this if enough of my friends are also buying it, and the best way to establish this is for us to get together and play it.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2008, 20:43.

26. Re: Left 4 Dead Demo Only One Week Oct 29, 2008, 06:55 Shadowcat

It's time limited for reasons Dagok laid out already.
Yeah, they'd obviously need to lock it down properly if they did a normal demo. I just think that they should take the time to do that, and give us a demo we can evaluate in our own time, like every other publisher in the world manages to do.

It's one week because the game itself comes out the following week and they don't want people modding up the demo or etc.
Well it really doesn't matter to them if people mod the demo, because at the end of the fixed time limit, the demo stops working and takes all the mods with it. I'm sure no one cares if people mod it in the brief time that it is available. And hell, anyone who puts the time and effort into modding a demo is almost certainly going to shell out for the retail version.

I don't see how anyone could spend a week with the demo and not be able to make a purchase decision, it just boggles the mind.
I agree wholeheartedly. And if I was to spend a week playing the demo co-op with my friends, I am absolutely positive that I would know whether I wanted to buy it or not.

So if Valve would care to offer me the demo during whatever week my friends and I all actually manage to free up sufficiently to spend a decent amount of time playing it together, that would be just dandy.

What they are actually offering is a week of their choosing, and I don't even know if we'll manage a single game in that period. Maybe we will, maybe we won't, but that doesn't make a one week demo any less ridiculous.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2008, 07:07.

18. Re: Left 4 Dead Demo Only One Week Oct 28, 2008, 20:11 Shadowcat

If the reason is so that they won't have to spend time making and locking down a time-unlimited demo version, I can kinda understand that. I don't agree with it, but I can at least comprehend the reasoning.

But why one week? Why not three weeks? A month? You know, enough time for people to actually arrange to get together with their friends on a weekend when everyone is free at the same time, and give the game a try?

They would still get to shut off the demo and force people to buy it if they want to carry on playing.

One week is just ridiculous. I might well have bought it at full price if it turns out to be great, but the chances of me trying out a co-op game properly in such a short amount of time are damned slim, and I'm not blowing that much money on finding out if it's good or not.

One week demo == Definitely waiting for a price-drop.

News Comments > Stardock's DRM Plans
54. Re: Stardock's DRM Plans Oct 25, 2008, 20:18 Shadowcat

I still don't understand who this is affecting. I've been playing games on the PC since there were games on the PC, and 've never experienced the kind of issues DRM supposedly creates.
You've been playing games all this time, and have never:
* Had to put a CD into the computer to play a game that already installed all its data to the hard drive?
* Had to 'authenticate' a game online?
* Had to connect to the internet to play a single-player game?

You don't need to believe that Starforce killed your DVD drive to have issues with DRM, and most of the issues can be extrapolated from the above points, even if you don't consider them to be problems.

News Comments > Mobilization
1. Re: Mobilization Oct 25, 2008, 17:12 Shadowcat

Skimming past this headline, I read it as "Catholic bishops want 'World of Goo' on iPods". Which struck me as a very sensible desire (if maybe more suited to iPhones than iPods), but a rather unexpected one all the same.  

News Comments > Stardock's DRM Plans
16. Re: Stardock's DRM Plans Oct 24, 2008, 23:02 Shadowcat

I want to be able to play my games without needing to put a CD/DVD in the drive each time. I take care of my discs, but it's still a concern, and an inconvenience. I want to play my single-player and LAN games (or portions thereof) without having to have an internet connection. An internet connection should not be required unless internet communication is integral to the game itself.

I do not want to ever need to 'activate' a game online, because no matter how much the relevant party assures me that they will (a) always be there, or (b) patch this behaviour out of each and every one of their games if they ever go out of business, I do NOT want to have to RELY on this being the case. I play a lot of old games, and in many cases the developer or publisher is no longer around; and even when they are very much alive and kicking I have found (to my disgust) that it is not uncommon to be unable to find ANY support information for an older game on the publisher's own web site (and a Flash-laden rubbish web site it usually is, too), so this is a serious issue to me, and frankly I have lost faith in long-term support.

I am entirely happy to have a unique serial number supplied with the game, which I must enter when I install it.

If I purchase a download, I would very much LIKE to be able to download the game repeatedly in the future. This is largely because writeable CDs and DVDs do not have the same reliability and longevity as stamped discs, so I simply cannot make a backup disc that I can guarantee will work at some arbitrary point in the future. I wouldn't insist on this, but it would be a highly attractive feature.

I see myself giving a lot of my future business to GOG.com and those indie developers who eschew DRM entirely, but if Stardock is happy to release titles in the manner I've outlined, then I will be very happy to do my business with them as well. (I am aware that their own titles seem to have a very reasonable approach, so I am thinking more about their third-party titles here.)

I have a large collection of PC games representing a serious sum of money poured into this hobby to date, but modern DRM methods have already been actively putting me off buying new games. (I won't pirate them, but nor will I be giving anyone any money.)

I'm sorry the piracy situation exists, I really am. It sucks. But while I can get my gaming fixes from legitimate customer-friendly sources, I have little desire to deal any longer with increasingly severe restrictions that the pirates themselves do not have to worry about -- and even the more minor restrictions are becoming irritating in the face of some delightfully DRM-free alternatives.

Start caring about the honest gamers again, and we'll come to the party.
This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2008, 23:07.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Gravitron 2 Oct 24, 2008, 10:24 Shadowcat

too challenging for its own damn good
MAYBE this was the case on release (pre-Steam), but since the (early) patch that made landing pads act as complete level-state saves, this statement is ridiculous.

I like challenging games, but Gravitron 2 not only raises the bar, it runs it through the friggin' roof.
Sorry, but you really don't like challenging games if you think G2 raises the bar "through the roof". What that actually means is that you aren't very good at it. Which is fine, but it would be nice if you actually said that, instead of suggesting that you like your games hard, but that this one is too much even for you.

Especially as I can tell that you didn't complete the game for your review.

Gravitron 2 is an utterly brilliant arcade game, btw. Everyone should check out the demo. Configure the controls so they are right for you (I recommend keyboard-only if you find mouse control tough), and have a blast!
This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2008, 11:28.

News Comments > Good Old Games Open Beta
25. Re: Good Old Games Open Beta Oct 23, 2008, 17:05 Shadowcat

Actually the [Freespace 2] EULA/ToS/whatever explicitly allows you to make full copies of the game for others. It was one of the few games that ever did.
If we ignore the fact that they retracted that clause, the internet at large does NOT constitute "friends and acquaintances" by any sane definition. FS2 has never been freeware.

News Comments > Good Old Games Open Beta
24. Re: Good Old Games Open Beta Oct 23, 2008, 16:59 Shadowcat

DRM means Digital Rights (or Restrictions, depending on your preference) Management. Anything which forcibly restricts what you can do with digital data is a form of DRM!*

A CD check restricts you from using the data without putting the CD in the drive. Copy protection restricts you from copying the data. Encryption and online authentication may be the sorts of technology that have become more associated with the (relatively recent) term 'DRM', but the term is very much applicable to older technologies as well, and GOG is explicitly ensuring that their games are free of ANY of that kind of thing.

(*) I'll add "and which was included expressly for that purpose", to avoid any silly responses.

News Comments > Spore Downtime Today
22. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 23, 2008, 03:47 Shadowcat

anyone who's played the game knows that "logging in" is 100% optional. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever keeping you from continuing your saved single player game when you're disconnected to the internet. [...] THE ONLY LIMITATION IS LOGGING ON TO SPOREPEDIA.
Cool. I guess it's option (b) then -- a case of them choosing their words really badly. How about "Players will be unable to log into Sporepedia", rather than "Players will be unable to log into their game"??

I'm sure they were only aiming the announcement at players who knew what it meant, but for a game that has taken so much flak for its DRM, it's still slightly surprising they didn't think about how it was going to sound to other people...

Thanks for the clarification, though.

News Comments > Amazon Buys Reflexive
5. Re: Amazon Buys Reflexive Oct 22, 2008, 09:25 Shadowcat

Who?
You know, the people who published Crimsonland.

News Comments > Spore Downtime Today
13. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 09:13 Shadowcat

You know, when their own website says: "Players will be unable to log into their games", it's hardly unreasonable to conclude that's what it means. If that's not what it means, they really should choose their words better.
Quite, and so I presume that this IS exactly what it means, and that the mis-informed person is the one claiming otherwise (unless they would care to provide an official reference supporting their claim?)

In any case, down-time (whether real or merely implied) for a single-player game, or any kind of online requirement for a single-player game running on the user's own machine, is nothing short of retarded.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 09:17.

News Comments > Free Theseus: Return of the Hero
2. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2008, 23:45 Shadowcat

The Alien Shooter series is good fun. (Well I can vouch for AS2/Vengeance personally and I've heard plenty of good things about its predecessor).

Definitely downloading this

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo