Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > DRM-Free Unreal Series to Metaboli
2. Re: DRM-Free Unreal Series to Metaboli Apr 9, 2009, 21:34 Shadowcat

Way to contradict yourself.

Perhaps you believe that the term 'DRM' implies the use of an internet connection?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Death Track: Resurrection
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Death Track: Resurrection Mar 31, 2009, 21:21 Shadowcat

The first five titles published by Aspyr under license from 1C in North America - Men of War, Death Track: Resurrection, Cryostasis, Necrovision, and 4X4 Hummer - are all DRM-free.
Awesome. Perhaps the likes of GOG are starting to influence other companies.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
3. Re: Saturday Screenshots Mar 22, 2009, 00:57 Shadowcat

The dev team is tiny, so comparisons with WOW would be silly. I don't think this will be a mass appeal game, either. Heck, space flight games don't seem to have mass appeal any more

I think there will be enough of an audience to make it worthwhile, though, if the game is solid. I still don't know much about gameplay, but I've been drooling over the procedural planetary tech for a few years now I can envisage this being the first MMOG I buy, just so I can fly around enjoying the sights

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
1. Re: Saturday Screenshots Mar 21, 2009, 19:15 Shadowcat

This project blows my mind every time I see it.  

News Comments > ARMA 2 Movie
19. Re: ARMA 2 Movie Mar 7, 2009, 17:43 Shadowcat

I hope those are just placeholder sounds and not the sounds for the final game. Those are the sounds from the original OFP.
This is fine -- Bohemia own everything to do with OFP bar the actual name.

News Comments > Impulse Weekend Deals
3. Re: Impulse Weekend Deals Mar 6, 2009, 15:23 Shadowcat

You can get Painkiller Black edition (which includes the Battle Out of Hell expansion) from GOG.com for $10.  

News Comments > Rise of the Triad on GOG.com
30. Re: its got 128MB of RAM, WHOA! Mar 5, 2009, 01:33 Shadowcat

Strife is freaking awesome. Best use of the Doom engine ever (and by a wide margin, too). I hope it makes it to GOG.  

News Comments > Terra Nova Retrospective
10. Re: Terra Nova Retrospective Feb 27, 2009, 11:32 Shadowcat

1996 was the year of Quake, which Terra Nova sadly had no chance against whatsoever.
Maybe if you only bought one game in a year? But even then, Terra Nova (definitely not a Mech game) and Quake had almost nothing in common, beyond the first-person perspective.

I'm sure Quake didn't help, but I don't think that was the primary reason that TN didn't sell enough.

DOSBox is definitely the easy way to play on a modern PC, and the game is still cool. There was nothing like TN at the time, and there has been precious little like it since. Definitely a classic.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2009, 13:50.

News Comments > Weekend Sales
6. Re: Weekend Sales Feb 21, 2009, 20:47 Shadowcat

The only game I didn't have already was I-Fluid (which would be the weakest of the collection judging by the demo, so not enough of an incentive on its own), but the rest are excellent. Gravitron 2 is absolutely outstanding, and one of my favourite games of 2008.  

1. Re: Weekend Sales Feb 21, 2009, 09:03 Shadowcat

Both great deals. That Steam package is amazing value for money.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Project RINGO Feb 14, 2009, 00:16 Shadowcat

a.k.a. Drum Hero!  

News Comments > Race 07 & Audiosurf Patched
2. Re: Race 07 & Audiosurf Patched Feb 12, 2009, 06:02 Shadowcat

It's pretty awesome. My favourite mode is the co-op one, playing both sides simultaneously. Good fun; most definitely recommended.  

News Comments > Dawn of War II Beta Opens
18. Re: Dawn of War II Beta Opens Jan 28, 2009, 10:21 Shadowcat

I did see a "DOW2 Gold" announcement the other day, right?

This seems like a whole new level of brashness from the publishers on the whole "assume it will needs patching" side of gaming.

7. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 24, 2009, 06:15 Shadowcat

Am I crazy, or does $25 for all the Jagged Alliance games still seem pretty high.
Yes and no The games are awesome, so arguably still worth that money, but in all honesty the only one I'd go for at these prices is JA2.

The original publishers decide which of the price points GOG will use, and Strategy First decided to go with $10 for each game and expansion pack.

News Comments > etc.
4. Brainpipe Jan 18, 2009, 00:11 Shadowcat

Trippy and relaxing, then frantic and fun. Give the demo a whirl, and check out that video for an idea of the higher difficulty levels.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 18, 2009, 00:09 Shadowcat

Very surprising that L4D is so high on the retail list....
Not really. They claim they spent $10,000,000 advertising it. A sizeable proportion of that would have been targeted at people who weren't going to know about the game already, which basically excludes the majority of people who use Steam on a regular basis.

Those people are quite likely to go out and look for the boxed copy.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. of Brand Dilution
70. Re: Hmmm Jan 2, 2009, 01:47 Shadowcat

What parts of it did you find abysmal? That both the black spec-ops guy and the asian inspector girl died?
I could deal with that (although both instances were handled clumsily). I've lost NPCs in games before, and I don't mind so long as there's a pay-off at the end.

The ending of XP meant that my character had failed to achieve a single damned thing in the entire game, however. I really don't believe I have ever played through such an unsatisfying story.

I liked the reconciliation part between young Alma and old Alma, however.
That's probably a decent part of our differing opinions, then, because personally I thought that was a great big load of nonsensical bollocks. The whole 'Alma helping you' side of XP was completely at odds with the original game, too.

So in summary, I thought the story was inconsistent, nonsensical, and amazingly unsatisfying!

News Comments > Space War Commander & Demo Launch
5. Re: Space War Commander & Demo Launch Jan 1, 2009, 17:17 Shadowcat

Yikes. Midnight wasn't kidding.

It's a long long time since I've seen anyone clueless enough to (a) use uncompressed .bmp images on a web site (if you happen to read this, .png is the lossless format you were looking for), and (b) use HTML attributes to resize them as 'thumbnails'!

News Comments > F.E.A.R. of Brand Dilution
29. Re: Hmmm Dec 28, 2008, 22:03 Shadowcat

Not sure why they're so eager to shed themselves of the events in Extraction Point
Extraction Point had great action, but personally I thought the story elements were absolutely abysmal. I'm not surprised they want to ignore them.

News Comments > Brainpipe: A Plunge to Unhumanity & Demo
5. Re: Brainpipe: A Plunge to Unhumanity & Demo Dec 24, 2008, 22:23 Shadowcat

This is good fun. Simple concept, but addictive, with lots of nice visual and audio touches. You should definitely check out the demo.  

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo