Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Glove Controller
17. Re: Glove Controller Jun 3, 2009, 03:23 Shadowcat

As long as it uses natural movements and is tolerant of an infirm hand I could see it working, otherwise it'd just cause different RSIs.
I had a lecturer who switched to a voice-operated system due to bad RSI from typing, and he wound up straining his vocal chords instead.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ARMA II Interview
24. Re: ARMA II Interview May 30, 2009, 21:30 Shadowcat

I agree with #20, that would be fine. It's the business of selling a badly broken version as a boxed retail product that gets people angry. If they were selling it online as (explicitly) an unfinished version, and people absolutely know that that is what they were buying, it would be okay, and the people who have no issues with buying a beta version would be covered. They should absolutely do that.

This comment was edited on May 30, 2009, 21:31.

News Comments > ARMA II Interview
1. Re: ARMA II Interview May 30, 2009, 11:23 Shadowcat

worldwide [...] summer
Fail.

News Comments > On ARMA II Bugs
44. Re: On ARMA II Bugs May 29, 2009, 13:01 Shadowcat

Kris Kross will make ya...jump jump.
Can we get a video of ARMA2 bugs edited to that soundtrack?

News Comments > On ARMA II Bugs
5. Re: On ARMA II Bugs May 28, 2009, 22:36 Shadowcat

Bohemia Interactive confuse me. Flashpoint was buggy, but unique, and it sold well regardless. The bug-ridden release of ARMA then established a pattern that no developer wants to have associated with them.

They needed ARMA2 to be a reasonably solid release in order to break that pattern, and (here's the bizarre part) my understanding was that they were in the relatively rare position of having the financial luxury to be able to take their time.

Think what another six months of solid QA work might have achieved for both the short and long term. (i.e. for this game, and for their reputation as a developer, and consequently all their future games).

ARMA2 will probably end up being fantastic, but people do remember when the same people keep on burning them. How many of their fans are they alienating by doing this? How many of them will just give up on buying BI's games on release, and pick them up on sale a year down the track instead?

Maybe I'm mistaken, and they needed to get it out there sooner rather than later, but IF that one review is accurate (and I'm not saying it definitely is; they might be over-reacting), then BI are shooting themselves in the foot here.

Awaiting additional reviews with interest...

This comment was edited on May 28, 2009, 23:01.

News Comments > Trine Interview
1. Re: Trine Interview May 27, 2009, 18:20 Shadowcat

RPS have done a few articles on Trine:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?s=trine

Looks pretty nice!

edit: btw, these are the same guys who made the 'Shadowgrounds' games (which were excellent fun).

This comment was edited on May 27, 2009, 18:27.

News Comments > ARMA II Next Month
31. Re: ARMA II Next Month May 19, 2009, 10:31 Shadowcat

It will certainly be interesting to read reviews. ARMA2 ought to be awesome at some point. I just hope it's sooner rather than later!  

News Comments > Sunday Screenshots
2. Re: Sunday Screenshots May 18, 2009, 05:48 Shadowcat

Huh. I only came here to ask whether anyone else had read that as "Need for Speed: Shit", but having read Aero's comments, I'm now vaguely interested in the game.  

News Comments > Take-Two Suing 3D Realms
11. Re: Take-Two Suing 3D Realms May 15, 2009, 09:56 Shadowcat

The quotes are fine, if a little bit anal.

The player actually clicks on enemies (assuming the player is sufficiently convinced that those particular light patterns do in fact constitute enemies).

It's the player character who shoots them.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2009, 01:28 Shadowcat

I gave up even skimming over Wired articles years ago. The writing always makes me gag, and the visual design almost induces actual vomiting.  

News Comments > Thief 4 Interview
9. Re: Thief 4 Interview May 13, 2009, 06:31 Shadowcat

Waaaaaaaaahhhhh consoles! Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh consolitis!
Someone either never played Thief 3, or hadn't played its predecessors beforehand.

News Comments > Thief 4 Interview
4. Re: Thief 4 Interview May 11, 2009, 20:29 Shadowcat

hyping one before you've even started to make it seems bizarre.
Yep, it's ridiculous. I have extremely low expectations for this one.

At least with Thief 3, they had planned to make it reasonably faithful. Unfortunately features were cut before release, they had no budget left to support the thing (the re-writes to the Unreal code really messed up their schedule, by the sounds of it), and the bad case of consolitis sealed its fate as a step backwards for the series, despite the many good bits.

Years down the track with a entirely new team, I completely expect Thief 4 to start with the console-oriented aspects of Thief 3, and get worse from there.

My hopes of anything more are basically dashed by the title "Thi4f". Are they really, seriously, calling it that? I thought "Deadly Shadows" was the worst name the series would ever be subjected to, but they have now gone above and beyond to make that name seem like poetic genius.

And while it shouldn't be a factor, after last time it's hard not to feel trepidacious about the new Thief game being made alongside the new Deus Ex game!

I'm sure Thief 4 will have plenty of good bits, but there's a reason people continue to deal with Dromed to create (excellent) fan missions for the original two games, all these many years later.

I suspect The Dark Mod for Doom 3 is the only real future for fans of the originals.

News Comments > Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
31. Re: Civilization IV: The Complete Editio May 7, 2009, 05:12 Shadowcat

By DRM free, are they just saying that it doesn't have a CD check?
No. By DRM free they mean the game won't come bundled with ninjaware* like SecuROM, SafeDisc, Sony rootkit, StarForce, TAGES, and so forth.
Are you sure? If it needs a CD in the drive, then it's still DRM. If people are throwing the phrase "DRM-free" around but still forcing you to mess around with CDs or DVDs, then other people are going to get mightily pissed off.

News Comments > Empire Interactive Closing
7. Re: Empire Interactive Closing May 7, 2009, 04:54 Shadowcat

No great loss then, apart from the poor sods who've been made redundant.

Wrong. Empire have been around since '87, and they put out some absolute classics.

The Pro Pinball series by Cunning Developments, and the flight sims by Rowan and Razorworks would be my favourites, but there's lots of good stuff in their catalogue. A few of their games (including three of the four Pro Pinball tables!) are on GOG.com. I hope this closure doesn't cause problems with that deal, or preclude the addition of more of their games appearing on the site :/

http://pc.mobygames.com/browse/games/empire-interactive-entertainment/

This comment was edited on May 7, 2009, 04:55.

News Comments > Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad Details
3. Re: Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad Details May 5, 2009, 03:38 Shadowcat

Single player campaign(s)? Okay, one to keep an eye on then.  

News Comments > ARMA II Movie Follow-up
11. Re: ARMA II Movie Follow-up May 2, 2009, 01:29 Shadowcat

Has anyone ever used VR Commander or other third party software?
I used to use Game Commander a bit, many years ago. I wonder if VR Commander is the current iteration of the same product?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis
32. Re: DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 29, 2009, 06:33 Shadowcat

I don't know if it's a "buy", but no DRM == instant interest. I've certainly passed on several games I would otherwise have bought because of the DRM that was implemented.

I can handle iffy performance to access a really good atmosphere, so I'm not put off yet. It sounds like it's lacking in a few areas, but if we're talking "flawed gem", then I'm definitely curious. Time to read some reviews, I guess...

News Comments > Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam
5. Re: Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam Apr 27, 2009, 07:34 Shadowcat

Shataan, go get yourself a copy of Vietcong (the original, not the sequel). It has its flaws, but it's also one of the best tactical shooters ever made.  

News Comments > All Aspect Warfare Beta & Spin-off Plans
2. Re: All Aspect Warfare Beta & Spin-off Plans Apr 17, 2009, 22:49 Shadowcat

That's a neat idea, actually. Split off an entire sub-section of a multi-discipline game, make it available cheaper, and let you upgrade. I'm not sure whether AAW is my kind of thing, but I'm certainly intrigued.  

News Comments > Steam Earth 2160 Issue
14. Re: Steam Earth 2160 Issue Apr 16, 2009, 05:39 Shadowcat

GOG's got a whole team of guys recoding the old games to make sure they work.
Not actually true -- GOG has no source code (although their marketing guy did confuse 'master' with 'source code' early on, and consequently suggest otherwise) -- but GOG does ensure that the game works on XP and Vista, and with GOG there is no DRM to fuck things up later on (as has clearly happened on Steam this time with Earth 2160 -- which will be out on GOG shortly -- and on multiple other occasions as well, I understand.

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo