Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Dec 22, 2009, 07:13 Shadowcat

GOG sale is stupendous.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sledgehammer Shooter Plans?
6. Re: Sledgehammer Shooter Plans? Dec 9, 2009, 05:17 Shadowcat

The momentary prospect of a shooter based on Sledge Hammer is definitely the weirdest thing that's happened to me today. The idea is both so right and so very wrong at the same time.  

News Comments > On PC AvP
10. Re: On PC AvP Dec 3, 2009, 02:57 Shadowcat

Well let's face it -- no one involved with making a game is ever going to publicly state that it has been "dumbed down" in any sense, regardless of how true it may be, so it's a completely pointless question to ask.

If you want anything approaching a genuine answer, you simply can't phrase the question in such negative terminology.

News Comments > Thief 4 In "Good Shape"
25. Re: Thief 4 In "Good Shape" Nov 27, 2009, 19:20 Shadowcat

fans "will NOT be disappointed with Thief 4."
Stephane, you shouldn't even bother. Huge numbers of Thief fans were bitterly disappointed by Thief 3. OTOH, I'm sure lots of people loved it as well. So who are you even talking to? Which fans "will NOT be disappointed with Thief 4"?

News Comments > Legal Briefs
2. Re: Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2009, 05:04 Shadowcat

Not "Colin McCrae Naked Down Under" then. Quite the relief, I must say.  

News Comments > Ikaro Announced
2. Re: Ikaro Announced Nov 22, 2009, 01:53 Shadowcat

Yeah, why would anyone pay money for this when there are so many other better-looking games about racing microlights and doing stunts over varied terrain and in dynamic weather conditions?  

News Comments > Painkiller: Resurrection Released, New Demo
6. Re: Painkiller: Resurrection Released, New Demo Nov 1, 2009, 02:10 Shadowcat

I just played it through. It looks nice enough, but level design could definitely be a lot more polished. I think I'd rather go back and play the original Painkiller. It's not awful... it's just lacking by comparison.  

News Comments > Freeware Death Rally
13. Re: Freeware Death Rally Oct 30, 2009, 09:35 Shadowcat

Still as addictive and awesome as ever.

Great game. I still have my CD, but thanks for the no-hassle replay, Remedy!

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Oct 9, 2009, 10:10 Shadowcat

It's not like you can't turn on javascript for just this site anyway. It's trivial.
No. Unless it is not actually possible (within reason) to provide the content in question without javascript, any site that requires you to turn on javascript to see its content is fundamentally broken.

Anyone designing sites that way without a very good reason is quite simply Doing It Wrong.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Saturn Oct 8, 2009, 04:21 Shadowcat

"Scientists discover massive ring around Saturn"

I was so sure that was going to be a link to The Onion...

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2009, 05:14.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Oct 8, 2009, 04:18 Shadowcat

There are people, who have de-activated or blocked javascript for security or simply personal reasons. No listings for them?
There are also people who understand that javascript can and should be used to enhance a fully-accessible non-javascript baseline, and therefore use scripting to HIDE the bits they want hidden-by-default, as well as to enable those bits to be shown again.

There are also people who have no comprehension of this, and build crappy broken sites. I'm damn sure Blue isn't one of them, though

News Comments > The Incredible Machine Series Bought, Reissued
19. Re: Game Reviews Oct 6, 2009, 07:27 Shadowcat

What if they came into your house and removed the cds? That's what happened -- basically
Yes, but they also emailed all the customers who'd bought those games a good month in advance, told them what was going to happen, and urged them to make back-ups of the installers before the change. They definitely didn't come into your house and remove your backups (Valve, OTOH, can invalidate your Steam app backups if they so choose).

I'm disappointed about it as well -- it's a definite mark against GOG -- but they hadn't anticipated it, they couldn't do anything about it, and they've learned from the mistake. Yeah, I'd prefer to have a pressed DVD backup over a writable DVD, but the games were dirt cheap to start with... it's really not that bad.

News Comments > Ubisoft Acquires Nadeo
14. Re: Ubisoft Acquires Nadeo Oct 6, 2009, 06:48 Shadowcat

Bugger.

I mean, I have nothing but best wishes for Nadeo, and I really hope that the team have made a very large sum of money for themselves from this deal.

It's just that in game-development terms they seemed to be doing well on their own, and while on average Ubisoft seems generally better-behaved than EA, I still can't imagine that anything positive can come out of this for Trackmania itself.

Especially gutting with TM2 recently announced.

Ah well.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2009, 18:41 Shadowcat

"Twirl and Hurl" is a drinking game, right?  

News Comments > Activision Shooter Announcement Nears
7. Re: Activision Shooter Announcement Nears Sep 22, 2009, 04:51 Shadowcat

"Giant games publisher rumoured to be working on game."

I really can't figure out why this is newsworthy.

News Comments > 25 Years of Elite
14. Re: 25 Years of Elite Sep 19, 2009, 17:39 Shadowcat

I'd love that too but a game of such complexity and depth wouldn't sell well - this is the fast-food console generation of 2009....
Elite's gameplay only had impressive complexity and depth by the standards of the time it was released. By modern standards, it's a pretty simple game. My argument when I was discussing this with someone a few months back was actually that "something as simple as Elite wouldn't work as a commercial game today."

Elite would have to really re-invent itself to have the same impact.
Exactly. Well, I'll just quote my whole post from that other thread:

I'm always a bit cynical about people who compare other space games unfavourably to Elite. The game was revolutionary, but it seems like people won't be satisfied with anything less than another revolution for a follow-up, which just isn't likely to happen (actually, the Frontier games might well qualify -- that was a huge step up, really -- but they were stupidly buggy, and not really what a lot of people wanted).

While it was incredible at the time, Elite is pretty simple by today's standards. Arcade physics, simple combat, single ship. If people literally just want that game, then Oolite is out there and freeware.

Personally I think lots of games have more than succeeded in following Elite. They need to make changes to do so, however (IMO, something as simple as Elite wouldn't work as a commercial game today*), and as soon as you change something, a part of your audience then decries the new game as being not as good as the old one.

* Actually, I'll go back on that statement. I think it would work as a budget release, if it was slick enough. It would need (IMHO) new graphics and sound, a full set of control options (keyboard, joystick, mouse), and support for user mods (missions especially; ships would be highly advisable; anything more would be awesome, but not required). I suspect they would also need to implement difficulty levels.

If they did that, kept everything else as close to the original as possible, and released it as a budget title under the Elite name (which won't ever happen), I think it would do well. Reviewers would probably knock it for being too simplistic, but as long as it did what it did well enough, nostalgia and a low price would combine nicely.

That's still a lot of work, but a manageable scope.

I suspect Ian Bell would love it, and David Braben would sue the hell out of it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Need for Speed SHIFT
21. Re: Need for Speed SHIFT Ships Sep 16, 2009, 08:01 Shadowcat

Wow, all this complaining and nobody even mentioned the in-game ads plastered all over the tracks?
Well, I think we already bitched about that as much as we're going to in previous threads. I'm not picking this up as a result, but I'm still quite interested to see how it turned out.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2009, 08:32 Shadowcat

"my opinion counts as scientific fact!"
Erm, it's quite explicitly an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less, and neither the author nor the magazine attempt to say otherwise.

News Comments > Massive Ad Deal
38. Re: EA's Massive Ad Deal Aug 31, 2009, 06:38 Shadowcat

I'm saying marketing is always around... marketing has a say in game design from the ground up. Your character sketches have to be approved by marketing, your general level design, the name of the game, the length of the game, whether the game has multiplayer or not, whether the game is multiplatform or not... Marketing has impact on game design from the very bottom to the very top.

So to say you despise in-game advertisements even in games where they make sense solely because marketers will have a hand in game design, I am saying that will happen anyway.
You're quite correct, and I should clarify that my major problem is with the marketing within a game of products and services which are not directly related to that game. That's when giving marketing a say in the content of your game becomes really detrimental.

The marketing efforts focused on the game itself do not distract you from the game -- even when they damage gameplay, they still constitute a consistent part of the game world that you are immersing yourself in. An in-game advert, on the other hand, does not form a consistent part of the game world. On the contrary, its sole aim is to draw your attention away from the game world -- that is the focus of the marketers controlling those advertisements. And as soon as there is a profit to be made, the publisher/developer in question may find themselves wondering what the magic number of advertisements is which will maximise their profits from the advertising, while not quite pissing off the majority of their player base sufficiently to make them stop playing.

And if it is obvious that advertising taken to the above extreme is bad for the players, then I would then argue that one tenth of that advertising still constitutes at least one tenth of the negative effect. The levels may vary, but IMHO advertising in games is always a bad thing.

I watched that Need for Speed Shift video... it looks like an awesome game, first and foremost. There were a lot of billboards, I agree, but if you ever watched a race on TV you know that is far from unrealistic.
But it is! In SBlat's own words (with added emphasis): "I find them pretty distracting even with the muted placeholder ads, especially since it's a track found in real-life and several other games where those billboards are actually just groves of trees."

That is exactly the kind of situation I'm talking about, where marketers artificially escalate the quantity of adverts in a game purely because they believe they can get away with it.

(edit: fixed typo)

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2009, 02:57.

News Comments > Massive Ad Deal
33. Re: EA's Massive Ad Deal Aug 30, 2009, 09:56 Shadowcat

Marketing enters into game design from major publishers whether there are in-game advertisements or not, hate to tell you.
I would venture that you are referring to marketing the game and its characters/story/spin-offs? That kind of thing can absolutely harm game design, but there is still a stark difference between that and using a game to reach the target audience for entirely difference products and services.

(Or if I'm misunderstanding you, an example might help.)

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo