Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gold - Metro 2033
13. Re: Gold - Metro 2033 Mar 5, 2010, 18:10 Shadowcat

uhmmm why? Because it supports 3D glasses? Phbbbt...how about supports mods, has dedicated servers, and free follow-along content.
That was the pre-console definition of PC support.

You mis-read the quote:

showing off the graphics that THQ's Huw Beynon told Computer and Video Games is a PC "love letter"

They are explicitly only talking about how good it looks on PC.

Also, expecting official "free follow-along content" from any game is ludicrous. Only a small minority of PC games have ever provided this, regardless of the console market.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced
10. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 5, 2010, 02:11 Shadowcat

I would guess that the name change is because (1) the games are not so much about Tomb Raiding any more, (2) the name "Lara Croft" is probably slightly better-known than "Tomb Raider" among the non-gamer populace, and (3) Tomb Raider was always an Indiana Jones rip-off, and this naming schemes better matches those films (especially since they renamed "Raiders").  

News Comments > Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo
11. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 27, 2010, 23:49 Shadowcat

From their statement, it does sound like there will be a post-release demo, which is fine.
Quite. In fact, I VASTLY prefer post-release demos to pre-release demos. A post-release demo is more likely to be indicative of the final code, rather than the state the game was in a few months before release (and hence lacking those last few months of serious polish).

I want game demos to actually be representative of the retail game; not some kind of 'beta' preview.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
89. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 23:41 Shadowcat

Several of those games are titles I'm interested in, and undoubtedly Ubisoft will have numerous other future titles I would have liked to have played. Damn it all.

Maybe one day I'll be able to get these games through GOG.com (I really hope so), but until then I guess it's farewell to Ubisoft.

News Comments > Ubisoft Teasing "Big Announcement"
32. Re: Ubisoft Teasing "Big Announcement" Feb 8, 2010, 03:55 Shadowcat

Confirmed: Ubisoft have merged micropayments with their always-online DRM! Now you can save your games anywhere, anytime... for the low low price of $2.99 per save!  

News Comments > System Shock Modification
24. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 8, 2010, 03:44 Shadowcat

The original System Shock wasn't done by LGS. I think some of people who made SS2 did work on the original but the original was all EA.
Jesus, where to start with this?

1) True, Looking Glass Studios didn't make System Shock. They were called Looking Glass Technologies at the time.

2) True, some of the people who made SS2 worked on the original. SS2 was made by Irrational Games (which was more or less an offshoot of Looking Glass, and who shared offices with them) in conjunction with Looking Glass themselves. Of course there were developers in common!

3) Electronic Arts had absolutely nothing to do with System Shock. It was developed by Looking Glass, and published by Origin.

I'll generously assume you're just a troll (in which case call me an idiot for actually responding).

News Comments > System Shock Modification
21. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 6, 2010, 03:23 Shadowcat

Diabolus in Musica wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 21:20:
Parias wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 21:10:
Wow, this is pretty cool. I wish people would do things like this more often.
More often? Stuff like this is done all the time. See Dark Places, Doomsday, JDoom, Quake II .NET, etc.
Those would all be games for which the source code was released.

Icewind wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 21:39:
...and Duke Nukem 3D, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Vampire TM:B just to name a few more.
Except for Duke 3D, I don't think there's source code available for these ones, but I'm also not sure what kind of mods have been made. (I gather that the community-made V:TM:B patches are pretty amazing, mind you.)

Even so, what has been done here is on a whole different level to your typical game mod. Radically changing the control scheme of a game by hacking the binary is incredibly impressive work.

"Stuff like this" is almost never done.

I also can't think of a better game for it to have happened to!

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2010, 03:23.

News Comments > SHODAN Don't Surf
13. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Feb 2, 2010, 07:12 Shadowcat

No sequel could ever live up to System Shock 2.
Agreed. SS2 certainly didn't live up to the original (although it gave it a pretty decent shot in most respects, and the interface was a big improvement). If a SS3 was made, I could only hope they would have learned from the mistakes made in Bioshock. I fear that they didn't view them as mistakes, however.

News Comments > TF2 Double Crouch Jump Bug Fixed
2. Re: TF2 Double Crouch Jump Bug Fixed Jan 26, 2010, 04:46 Shadowcat

Here I was thinking that the "notorious Double Crouch Jump bug" was clearly some kind of unintended super-jump that a player could exploit with the god-damned bizarre key combination inferred by the name.

What I didn't expect was that this was a bug in the visual appearance of this apparently entirely-anticipated manoeuvre.

WTF?

There is something very seriously wrong with a game that contains the move "double crouch jump" in its repertoire.

News Comments > P.B. Winterbottom to PCs?
2. Re: P.B. Winterbottom to PCs? Jan 18, 2010, 05:33 Shadowcat

Yeah, I'm quite looking forward to this one.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Patched
3. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Patched Jan 13, 2010, 03:58 Shadowcat

Nor any word of improvements to the friendly A.I., which is incapable of actually helping you in many situations!

Now admittedly, the people fixing the subtitles and changing the icons are not going to be the people fixing the A.I., so I don't mind seeing other fixes going on, but it would be nice if they actually gave the game-breaking issues some kind of priority.

News Comments > Gaikai's Millions
5. Re: Gaikai's Millions Jan 7, 2010, 05:01 Shadowcat

Will people please stop using the term "cloud-based"? Not only does it sound stupid, but it's completely meaningless. Your system is not based on clouds of any kind, damn it.  

News Comments > Love Beta Begins: Opens Next Week
3. Re: Love Beta Begins: Opens Next Week Jan 1, 2010, 23:21 Shadowcat

However, why the authors chose to go with some weird "oil painting" shader for the graphics is beyond me. Watching the demo gave me a headache.
I really liked the look in static screenshots, but when I tried the test client (back in September; maybe things have changed?) I found that in motion, during the daylight cycle, the flickering of the graphics was absolutely insufferable. There's no way I'd subject myself to that. But I think that was the game's first public outing, and it was still being designed, so he might have fixed this for all I know.

News Comments > Battlezone 2 Anniversary
9. Re: Battlezone 2 Anniversary Dec 30, 2009, 16:34 Shadowcat

[Uprising] crashes rather a lot on XP. Any tips?
Sorry, I don't remember it crashing on me (it certainly wasn't notable, at least), and I'm pretty sure I was running XP by that stage. I didn't have any luck using Glide wrappers the last time I played, mind -- it had to be software graphics only.

News Comments > Battlezone 2 Anniversary
6. Re: Battlezone 2 Anniversary Dec 30, 2009, 06:10 Shadowcat

Agreed, Uprising was great; although it took me a little while to accept what it was and what it wasn't. Not being able to direct units about really threw me at first, but I appreciated the gameplay better as time went on. I replayed it just a few years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it (even more so than when I'd first played it, I think). I'm sad now that I never grabbed the sequel :/

Ah yes, here are my comments from my last play-through:
http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105475

(includes details for getting a 50% better draw distance)

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Dec 28, 2009, 19:20 Shadowcat

SWAT 4 + expansion pack is so close to being perfect. If friendly A.I. was added to the co-op play, then it would have pretty much been the ideal co-op experience.

WHY did you not include this, Irrational?? How could it possibly not have been considered utterly necessary to the multi-player game?

SWAT 3 had it, and the A.I. code is pretty much sitting there in the single-player game... WHY, god damn it!?

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2009, 19:21.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - PT Boats : Knights of the Sea Dec 27, 2009, 05:26 Shadowcat

I'd suggest trying the demo, and looking/waiting for reviews from simulation-focused sites.

I read through the only English review I could find linked to from the Metacritic page (the summaries for the others look to be translations), and the text really didn't suggest there was too much wrong with the game, which seemed at odds with the score given, so my guess is that the game might very well appeal to certain people.

News Comments > Aliens vs. Predator Trailer
10. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Trailer Dec 22, 2009, 19:58 Shadowcat

Thanks for clearing that up! I've never seen Alien 3, or the AvP movies (have been meaning to rectify the former for years; not so fussed about the latter), so I only knew of the one character by that name  

News Comments > Aliens vs. Predator Trailer
4. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Trailer Dec 22, 2009, 18:17 Shadowcat

Karl Bishop Weyland (Lance Henriksen)
Damn, I thought that sounded like Henriksen. But he's actually playing Bishop? Or is that name just a reference, and not the same character?

I just don't see Bishop winding up doing that. Oh well.

News Comments > Gold - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea
3. Re: Gold - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea Dec 22, 2009, 07:18 Shadowcat

It's actually out in some regions. I couldn't believe it when I saw the box sitting there, after it being in development for so long.

Has anyone spotted any reviews?

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo