Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 1
2. Re: Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 1 May 13, 2010, 07:16 Shadowcat

No, you have that a bit wrong.

The Third Wire sims do share some design goals with some of the sims released under the Jane's umbrella (particularly the USNF/ATF/Fighters Anthology line) in that they are intended to be relatively easy to pick up and play, sacrificing complex avionics simulation for accessibility, but still aiming to be more flight simulation than arcade game.

Remember that "Jane's Combat Simulations" was nothing more than a licensed marketing label, and did not on its own give any indication of who developed the sim, or what kind of focus it had. "F/A-18" was a completely different kettle of fish to the "ATF" line, for example.

You might be getting mixed up by the fact that Third Wire's Tsuyoshi Kawahito (TK) was one of the lead developers on several JCS games, however the Third Wire sims are a completely separate line, developed in-house from scratch.

You are sort-of-correct that the "Strike Fighters 2" line is a Vista/W7-compatible upgrade to the original "Strike Fighters" and "Wings Over (Wherever)" series (there are graphical updates as well, mind -- the downloads are quite a bit larger than their predecessors).

They are also extremely mod-friendly sims, with a large and active community producing all manner of add-ons (new terrain, new aircraft, visual effects, flight and weapon modelling updates, etc, etc).

As to your first two questions, I'm not actually in a position to answer, but you'll certainly find plenty of reviews if you go looking. There's some current discussion at KiwiSim, in fact: http://www.kiwisim.net.nz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4959 and you will certainly find loads of conversation in the dedicated forums at Combatsim, SimHQ, and at Third Wire's own site.

If you enjoy relatively accessible sims with a dog-fighting focus, and aren't worried about a lack of complex avionics or dynamic campaigns, then I'd definitely say you should take a closer look, as the people who like the sims seem to like them a lot. Third Wire are only a small company without the resources to pack every desirable feature into their sims, but they obviously focus on doing certain things well, and their community seems pretty appreciative of their efforts in general.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. May 7, 2010, 03:51 Shadowcat

And not only that, but only two out of the five at best could possibly be called a "gameplay element". WTF?

1) In-fighting (definitely gameplay)
2) "Truly terrifying enemies" (I'll give them that, but only because they described the Archvile's behaviour)
3) Music is not gameplay
4) Bugs are just bugs
5) Breakfast cereal is not a god-damned "gameplay element"! (Nor is a total conversion.)

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Beta Updated "Premium" Plans Revealed
1. Re: QUAKE LIVE Beta Updated "Premium" Plans Revealed Apr 30, 2010, 22:09 Shadowcat

Private servers! This is exactly what we wanted about a month ago when we used it for some office gaming, but didn't have enough people to completely fill the server.  

News Comments > Hydrophobia PC Still Planned
3. Re: Hydrophobia PC Still Planned Apr 29, 2010, 04:07 Shadowcat

Hydrophobia is an Xbox 360 exclusive? Inconceivable.  

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2010, 03:38 Shadowcat

Oh, and it's a sad retrospective of rain in games that doesn't include "Flight Unlimited 3".  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2010, 03:36 Shadowcat

ForgedReality: Wait, there is actual (virtual) rain in the "Hard Rain" campaign? I was completely let down by the effects, because it was just fog and sound, but not actually any representation of falling water. A workmate I discussed it with had the same experience.

I knew that L4D2 was rushed to release and buggy, but I guess there were more bugs than I realised.

News Comments > Ubisoft: DRM Will "Evolve"
41. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 10, 2010, 22:31 Shadowcat

Flatline said:
It's sad because their dev teams are turning out games I'd like to play. However, yes, Ubi is rather dead to me.
Ditto. There is some great talent under the Ubisoft banner (and, presuming it's still being developed, missing "Beyond Good & Evil 2" will hurt :/ ), but this DRM is absolutely retarded, and I cannot support it.

StingingVelvet said:
And just because some people have problems does not mean everyone does.

Your argument goes both ways.
Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor.

I cannot believe that you think that constitutes a successful (or coherent) retort.

No one has ever said that the system will fail for everyone. Jesus, even the idiots who green-lit this would have refrained from doing so if it wasn't going work for anyone. Of course it works for some people! I would expect that it works for the majority of people, the majority of the time. That doesn't mean it's not a completely insane mechanism to employ.

MTechnik said:
Talisorn wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 18:02:
I'd say that not one of the whining many here have even tried a game with this DRM.
You're right. Those that said "as long as this DRM doesn't allow offline gaming, we're not spending our money on it" haven't spent their money on it. If they did, it wouldn't be much of a resistance.
Well put.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Apr 9, 2010, 03:18 Shadowcat

I have been told that Mount & Blade Warband, although initially intended as an expansion, is in fact a stand-alone all-encompassing enhanced version of the original game, such that if you have Warband, there is no longer any reason whatsoever to have the original game installed.

If that is true, then this "bundle" at Impulse is a bit crap.

News Comments > Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo
11. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 18:48 Shadowcat

It's delusional if you already have the original game as it's the same maps, weapons, brain-dead enemies, and tired gameplay.
By that logic, everyone continuing to charge money for any game you've already purchased is "delusional".

It's also delusional if you can get the gold release of the original game plus the sequel (second encounter) for the same price or less (~$10 in the jewel case)
That's a slightly better argument, but still kinda silly -- honestly, you can't expect a company to go to the effort of remaking a game of this size, and then to release it for whatever discounted price the original now goes for.

If you don't have the original, $15 simply isn't that much money to get a version with fancier graphics. If you do have the original and you don't think the remake is a significant improvement, then you're just not in the target audience.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 06:33 Shadowcat

I have absolutely nothing to say about the iPad.
I have absolutely no motivation to click that link.

News Comments > Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo
4. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 06:27 Shadowcat

How is $15 for a kick-ass game "delusional"?

(Not that I'm buying it myself until it's available from non-Steam sources, but that's not about the price)

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2010, 06:34.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 2, 2010, 05:04 Shadowcat

itís still a long way before YouTube catches up with television, which the average viewer watches about 5 hours each day
Holy crap. Five hours of TV a day on average?! Jesus.

News Comments > Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes
37. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Apr 1, 2010, 06:17 Shadowcat

I'm yet to have an issue playing the game or logging into the servers.
I've had absolutely no problems with the DRM either. [...] As usual, people are blowing this DRM thing out of proportion.
I don't think anyone ever claimed that this system would be a nightmare for every single customer. Statistically it will probably work for most of the people most of the time. Congratulations -- thus far, at least, you are both members of that set. But it doesn't take a genius to see that a system which requires continuous internet access absolutely WILL fail for some of the people some of the time, and if that required access is for as arbitrary a reason as this, it isn't surprising that many of us are shutting our wallets to Ubisoft and EA (who have launched pretty much the same system with Command and Conquer 4).

The people I feel really sorry for are the customers who don't follow gaming news, or simply don't comprehend the issue, and encounter the problem completely unexpectedly.

News Comments > Voiced Heileen 2
3. Re: Voiced Heileen 2 Mar 22, 2010, 04:23 Shadowcat

Manos is hardly obscure -- the film is legendary!  

News Comments > New on GOG.com, Announcement Next Week
10. Re: New on GOG.com, Announcement Next Week Mar 20, 2010, 08:28 Shadowcat

Another World's official sequel was indeed "Heart of the Alien". It only came out on the Sega CD console, though, and Eric Chahi wasn't involved.

"Flashback" (and its sequel "Fade to Black") are not strictly related to Another World at all, aside from being published by Delphine. Flashback certainly bore enough similarities to the earlier game for it to regularly be mistaken for a sequel, however.

The superb "Heart of Darkness" from Amazing Studio was the next big thing from the creator of Another World, and I thoroughly recommend it.

General Discussion > User ignore feature
17. No subject Mar 17, 2010, 05:09 Shadowcat

Thank you Frans!

Greasemonkey worked well, but it's nice to have a portable solution

News Comments > Wardell on Impulse::Reactor
13. Re: Wardell on Impulse::Reactor Mar 17, 2010, 05:06 Shadowcat

I dislike Steam for all kinds of reasons, but having a consistent interface to a common set of behaviours just isn't one of them. This seems to be Wardell's major focus, though. Weird.  

News Comments > MW2 Stimulus Package Details
25. Re: MW2 Stimulus Package Details Mar 16, 2010, 05:13 Shadowcat

I just can't read the abbreviation MW2 and not think Mech Warrior for a second or two
I have the same issue. It bugs me that people won't just write COD:MW2.

MW2 is and always will be MechWarrior 2.

News Comments > MW2 Stimulus Package Details
15. Re: MW2 Stimulus Package Details Mar 15, 2010, 04:16 Shadowcat

Maybe I'm reading this wrongly, but if this expansion is being released on X-Box ahead of other platforms as some kind of Microsoft-sponsored "exclusive" early release, I'm completely bewildered.

Those kinds of deals are somewhat understandable for a new game, but for an expansion? It's not as if anyone who bought the game on PS3 is going to rush out and buy the X-Box version too so they can get the new levels earlier.

Weird. Really weird.

News Comments > Project E:st Announced
2. Re: Project E:st Announced Mar 5, 2010, 18:23 Shadowcat

Um... what?

I didn't realise you had to prove yourself "worthy" of licensing a game engine before the developers would permit you to spend your money with them.

Maybe (just maybe) Crytek provided the best value for money for the game engine features that Polygon Games wanted?

Edit (having looked at the screenshots) : So they wanted outdoor environments with huge view distances. Yep, I can't begin to imagine why they went with CryEngine...

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2010, 18:55.

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo