Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shadowcat

Real Name Shadowcat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Occupation: Texas Net Operative
Interests: Everything Ecto
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 21, 2001, 12:57
Total Comments 1013 (Pro)
User ID 9081

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 26, 2010, 08:59 Shadowcat

God-damned moronic version numbering in software these days. If they ever actually make any major changes worthy of a major version number increment, no one is ever going to know.

1.6, 1.7, and 1.8 are only the same as 6, 7, and 8 until you realise you have absolutely no sane way to tell people that your 2.0 re-write is ready.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 19, 2010, 08:15 Shadowcat

I thought the EVE subject line was sarcastic, but it's not. "Only" 54 developers working full-time on enhancing an already well-established game! On what planet is that a small number? Sheesh.  

News Comments > Strategy First Sale
6. Re: Strategy First Sale Jul 19, 2010, 07:58 Shadowcat

Yeah, it's a shame they're missing The Web. I've never played it, but I'd buy it in an instant if GOG added it. I do gather that it's not quite up to the (amazing) standards of the tables that followed, but I'm pretty sure it would still walk all over most of the competition!

I can only guess that Strategy First don't have the rights to that one.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Jul 19, 2010, 07:52 Shadowcat

We're working on a DX11 engine right now, so I've seen some of this tech in action and it's pretty impressive. Unlike Messiah's sub-division surfaces, DX11's tesselation is seamless.
I bow to your greater experience. Thanks for the info

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Jul 19, 2010, 07:50 Shadowcat

The Vista hatred came from all the people that were too stupid to figure out how to configure the UAC. As soon as I installed Vista, I went to the control panel and ticked one checkbox, ONE CHECKBOX! Then all the problems people were complaining about went away.
Stupidity wins!

News Comments > Free Alien Swarm & DLC Monday
9. Re: Free Alien Swarm & DLC Monday Jul 17, 2010, 22:05 Shadowcat

Yeah, this is an awesome surprise. I'm not sure I like all of the changes I see in the screenshots (compared to the original), but I'll still eat my hat if this doesn't kick ass. Congrats again, Black Cat!  

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2010, 21:41 Shadowcat

The biggest improvement is probably tessellation
"Messiah" isn't impressed.

News Comments > Strategy First Sale
2. Re: Strategy First Sale Jul 17, 2010, 21:37 Shadowcat

The Pro Pinball tables are the best computer pinball tables I've ever played. I strongly urge anyone who enjoys pinball to buy these.

Onnawave: If you don't have Timeshock, then grab it! (Unless your machine won't handle running it in DOSBox -- it's unfortunate that GOG only offer the DOS version of this one; It means you need a much better machine to enjoy it in high-resolutions). Timeshock is the very best of the set, IMHO.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jul 15, 2010, 08:48 Shadowcat

"You're Batman!"  

News Comments > RAGE and Hunted Trailers
1. Re: RAGE and Hunted Trailers Jul 13, 2010, 08:23 Shadowcat

God, I hate watching a FPS controlled by a gamepad. All those painfully-slow and inaccurate movements... things happening around the player, but they don't really know what because they can't turn and look... It makes me want to slap the player around and demand to know why the hell they aren't using a mouse. (Aha... it's not playing violent video games that makes people violent... it's watching other people play violent video games badly ; )

The fact that this is from Id makes it seem so much worse.

News Comments > OnLive Review
7. Re: OnLive Review Jul 11, 2010, 05:27 Shadowcat

The notion of paying so much for what is measurably an inferior product compared to the physical disc means that OnLive simply cannot be taken seriously at this point in time
I wouldn't touch this system with a barge pole personally, but I can at least see (very clearly) that the system was never targeted at people who own a PC capable of running the games they are offering. We're not in their target audience, and it's a bit pointless to review the system from any perspective where a good gaming PC is a viable alternative, because OnLive can't compete with that.

So you're not paying for an inferior product. You're paying for the only version of the product you can afford. If that's not true, then you're simply not going to be interested in OnLive.

News Comments > StarCraft II to Go 3D Via a Patch
44. Re: StarCraft II to Go 3D Via a Patch Jul 7, 2010, 08:03 Shadowcat

So 3D games are now being referred to as 2D games, so that stereo 3D can be referred to as 3D? Oh great. What do we call regular 2D games?

And on that note: with Starcraft being a 2D game, this was a really confusing title.

News Comments > Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced
11. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 07:21 Shadowcat

FFS, would publishers please stop using names that they've already used?!

The next "Hot Pursuit" game after "NFS: Hot Pursuit" and "NFS: Hot Pursuit 2" is NOT "NFS: Hot Pursuit" again!

Just call it "NFS: Hot Pursuit 3". Is that really so hard?

At least with sequels to story-driven games, you can understand the reasoning when they leave out the number for fear that people won't buy it if they haven't played the previous installments. (I don't like that practice either, but at least I comprehend it.) Nobody is going to avoid Hot Pursuit 3 for fear of not knowing what happened to the characters in parts 1 and 2, however. This is just dumb.

News Comments > Trine 2 PC Plans
11. Re: Trine 2 PC Plans Jun 13, 2010, 01:13 Shadowcat

Trine was fabulous (I picked it up as soon as the price dropped to US$20, and it was worth every cent), so a sequel is excellent news.

The recent postmortem on Gamasutra was very interesting reading. Hopefully things go rather more smoothly for them on this project!

News Comments > Activision on Developer Relations
11. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 3, 2010, 04:54 Shadowcat

thatís a triple-A team, and thatís really our goal to have triple-A teams.
Is anyone else irritated by that phrase? How long before someone starts calling themselves quadruple-A quality, and everyone else does the same so that they don't look bad? Then it'll just be a race to see who can put five blades in their razor first.

(Hey Blue... your comment validation complains that long URLs are too long, and should be broken down into smaller "words".)

News Comments > Sledgehammer's CoD FPS?
6. Re: Sledgehammer's CoD FPS? May 28, 2010, 11:51 Shadowcat

Ant wrote on May 27, 2010, 14:09:
I thought it was Sledgehammer from the 80s' TV show
I thought that for a moment the first time I saw the title mentioned here, and I damned well did the same thing this time! God-dammit.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Pandora May 24, 2010, 23:06 Shadowcat

It's a hand-held -- only slightly larger than a Nintendo DS.  

News Comments > On In-game Advertising
4. Re: On In-game Advertising May 22, 2010, 23:26 Shadowcat

When we talk about marathon gaming sessions, pooping in a sock is the first thing that comes to the minds of many gamers.

What. The. Fuck. ?

News Comments > On In-game Advertising
3. Re: On In-game Advertising May 22, 2010, 23:23 Shadowcat

*Obligatory "Go fuck yourselves" to Massive Inc. (and all in-game advertisers)*  

News Comments > Zeno Clash Soundtrack
2. Re: Zeno Clash Soundtrack May 18, 2010, 03:53 Shadowcat

Gods, they have this nasty Flash-based web site, and no alternative content.

Here's the link that you eventually get to after the painful loading process.

http://www.zenoclash.com/Zeno%20Clash%20OST.zip

1013 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo