Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peter Urquhart

Real Name Peter Urquhart   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Von Helmet
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2001, 19:09
Total Comments 565 (Apprentice)
User ID 9036

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Divx Sep 3, 2003, 12:56 Von Helmet

Does that clear the Gator thing and still let you run the player? I looked into downloading it but held off because of the Gator thing.

If you can clear it with a spyware checker I'll get it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
73. Re: Love that anit-Bowling site Sep 2, 2003, 18:37 Von Helmet

Umm.. yeah. Nobody is saying that there isn't a line to be drawn. Just that personal firearms is not the place to draw it. A nuke isn't much good for self-defense, ya know?

Better tell the major governments of the world they've wasted an awful lot of money then...

And to the person... was it Mechanik? Who mouthed off about guns? OK, I concede the point about semi-auto rifles for hunting, that was me not thinking.

Target shooting? Well, whatever. All these people practising how to use a weapon designed to kill in some nice civilised "shooting tin cans" way... seems kinda weird.

45. This page looks weird in Mozilla Sep 2, 2003, 15:14 Von Helmet

Thanks for the heads-up Moonbender. I think it is largely a font thing.

Soupkin... You think I'm not using a GUI for Linux? Think man, think! I can point and click all I like.

41. This page looks weird in Mozilla Sep 2, 2003, 14:34 Von Helmet

I've installed Linux and am now using Mozilla to view this. It looks pretty damn weird compared to the usual IE view.

24. Re: Love that anit-Bowling site Sep 2, 2003, 13:02 Von Helmet

This argument won't go away. There will always be some who feel it is essential to own a gun, and others of us (like myself) who see no reason you should need a gun.

Myself, I think it's fine to own a rifle or shotgun for hunting. Go for it, feel free.

But why own a fully or semi-automatic rifle? Or sub-machine gun? Hell, some of you people have proper machine guns. That's just crazy. Those kind of things aren't necessary for hunting, just for killing people.

Handguns? Sure, people will always come back with the argument that you can use a handgun for shooting a deer, but do you really think that was what a Glock 17 was designed for? Or a Desert Eagle? Give me a break. Sure, a proper hunting pistol can be used for hunting, but not all handguns fall into that category.

Oh yeah, and the fact that all violence and killing is wrong. That's kind of a big issue.

Get rid of the guns, for goodness sake.

68. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2003, 21:00 Von Helmet

Trillian (cruise over to http://www.trillian.cc to download it) can speak MSN, AIM, ICQ, IRC and Yahoo! and automatically logs all conversations made using it.

Hope that helps.

17. Re: SoBig Aug 21, 2003, 11:55 Von Helmet

The other day my dad called me to drive out to his church office to fix the virus they had... turned out it was just Norton Antivirus telling them it had cleaned and deleted the virus infected mails.

Always good to get called out to fix a problem which is actually just the evidence of the solution you put in place.

News Comments > DX2 & Thief 3 Movies
43. Re: Voice of Simons Aug 21, 2003, 04:36 Von Helmet

Last I heard they are going with the Illuminati ending, not the dark age or the Helios one.

So J.C. Denton is now part of the Illuminati and the future is still all... futuristic.

122. Re: I cannot believe some of you... Aug 20, 2003, 19:15 Von Helmet

Nah, Fred's been here for ages.

Fredrickson, and FredErickson... I don't know the whole deal with that though.

51. Re: Comments & Suggestions Aug 20, 2003, 13:10 Von Helmet

Third. Get that donate button up there already, I'll donate here long before I'll give to any of the namby pamby charities out there, because you provide a worthwhile service that betters the lives of myself and my friends in an important way. If we weren't busy with our PC gaming addictions we'd probably help some poor starving people or something. Well probably not, we're pretty conservative and lazy asses deserve to go hungry.

Man, are you serious? Are the starving masses in Africa lazy asses? Are all homeless people lazy asses? Are abused children lazy asses?

Grow up and think before you speak.

Sure, Blue could probably use a little cash to subsidise his life and the running of this website, but I don't think his plight is quite as bad as that of the "lazy asses" who you dismiss so heartlessly.

Edited for stoopid typo.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 13:12.

165. Re: ads Aug 20, 2003, 06:25 Von Helmet

Majority of people don't understand how much bandwidth costs now adays.

That's so true.

Everyone was led to believe that the internet was going to be some incredible way for us to access any amount of free stuff for little to no effort or expenditure. Companies were enticed with the idea that they would spend no money and make a fortune.

So everyone goes in thinking that they can spend nothing and make a fortune. No one seemed to spot that if no one is spending any money then no one can make any money. Numerous sites went under, got taken over, bought each other out etc etc. In the aftermath what do we have?

1) Subscription
2) Advertising

Now I'm not a big fan of the subscription. I still like to believe that the internet should be as free as possible, and I don't want to pay a few dollars a month to every site I read. I'd rather the internet stayed as free as possible.

As such, I prefer option 2 - the advertising. It costs nothing to me to see an advert. It's not like just seeing it is sapping my money out of my wallet.

A lot of you seem to complain that it eats up 3 seconds of your time...

NEWSFLASH!! You're reading a fucking gaming news site, you clearly have expendible time and expendible income, so don't bitch that someone is taking away 3 seconds of your time with an advert that you don't even have to read, so that you can get something for free.

Running a site is not cheap. I've recently set up a tiny little website for my dad's church, with a 3GB/month transfer limit. I'll bet Blue easily chews through 3GB or more per day, and that kinda bandwidth costs a boatload.

So, either you can pay up and support him that way, or you can endure a few ads.

Hell, you guys use the internet, right? You have noticed there's adverts all over the place?

It's not really that much of a hardship, now is it?

48. Re: No subject Aug 18, 2003, 18:36 Von Helmet

Real elevators have saftey features (or are supposed to at any rate).

The other day I was in an elevator at the train station. I pushed the button for the floor I was going to, thinking that like a normal lift it would wait a while and then go. Not this one. It started closing its doors even though a whole bunch of people were still getting on. One or two people put their feet or arms in the way to stop the doors, which normal triggers some amazingly sensitive switch or whatever that says "DECAPITATION IMMINENT" in binary to the lift and stops the doors, but it didn't. The doors went right on pushing till people gave up and saved their limbs and all the other people had to wait till the lift came back down.

And that was an elevator that wasn't in the middle of being messed with by the mechanics.

So I guess not all elevators are born equal.

Trivia for the fact fans: You can tell The Matrix was filmed in Australia, not in America which is the assumed location of the film, because when they get into the lift in the government building to rescue Morpheus the sign says "Do not use lift in event of fire" while all such American signs would call it an elevator.

7. Re: DVD be gone Jul 21, 2003, 11:01 Von Helmet

Anyone remember when people weren't greedy, and instead just wanted enough money to live comfortably?

Me neither.

GO TEAM CAPITALISM!!

Give it a few decades and things will change. A lot. When we run out of resources and money and the environment is shot to hell.

Yay.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Hardware Requirements
129. Re: Hilarious RAM comments! Jul 21, 2003, 10:56 Von Helmet

Besides, OS' and games can only actually page to a certain amount of RAM, and then it's a waste of time.

Mind you, lots of us are on XP or 2K so they're fine with it.

1. Firsties Jul 18, 2003, 10:32 Von Helmet

A winnar is me.

43. Re: masturbation / driving Jul 18, 2003, 09:38 Von Helmet

My girlfriend was out on a school trip one time, on a coach with a load of other people. They drove past a truck on the motorway and the driver was totally naked, jerking off.

Interesting sight for a coach full of 11 year old kids.

Yech.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Hardware Requirements
69. Re: Q1 Jul 18, 2003, 09:34 Von Helmet

Carmack is a programming god (although he doesn't comment enough)

That's because it seems it's so damn obvious to him! He just sees it.

I've done a bit of coding in my time and been told off for not commenting enough, and I'm like "What, it's totally obvious what I'm doing here!" and other people are baffled till you explain it a bit better.

Mind you, this is me programming 1st year Java, and that's Carmack programming incredible C(C++? I dunno which). Go figure

News Comments > Vietcong Patch
12. Re: Great... Jul 17, 2003, 03:25 Von Helmet

I got that feeling watching my friend play through it. Any time he got into a fight there was lots of hiding, leaning out or looking out for a moment, taking half a dozen shots, then hiding again.

And yes, the fights did last a lot longer than your usual fare. It's nice when enemies hide. Saves you just headshotting them all *bam, bam, bam* in the first moment you see them.

News Comments > Vietcong Patch
9. Re: anti-kangaroo Jul 16, 2003, 16:08 Von Helmet

The game is meant to be realistic. Kangaroo or whatever (bunny hopping I assume they mean) isn't all that realistic.

3. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2003, 10:07 Von Helmet

Man, and there was me hoping for some insightful first comment.

565 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo