Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peter Urquhart

Real Name Peter Urquhart   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Von Helmet
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2001, 19:09
Total Comments 565 (Apprentice)
User ID 9036

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > UT2003 Community Bonus Pack
28. Re: sweet Oct 29, 2003, 07:34 Von Helmet

Well, I don't know why they bothered making the UT classic mod - the entire point is they're TWO SEPARATE GAMES!

If you want to play UT play UT.
If you want to play UT2K3 then play UT2K3.

Sure, the updated graphics would be nice, but it will never be the same game, and if gameplay is all that counts, then why chase after the graphics too?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Call of Duty Demo
17. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2003, 15:01 Von Helmet

I think I'll get it, but mostly because I never got MOH. I borrowed and played it (slap on the wrists) and it was good but... it felt lacking. This looks to fill a lot of the gaps. The squad driven gameplay looks awesome to me.

I figure it'll be what MOH would be if they released it now, and since I never played MOH much then, I shouldn't feel too much like I'm doing the same thing twice.

News Comments > No DX: Invisible War SDK
16. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2003, 15:00 Von Helmet

Hey Helmet, how about you hop off of Specter's dick and then give an unbiased opinion. Who the hell made you their PR man? The fact that you have all their previews and Q/A sessions memorized doesn't count for shit, Von Helmet the DX PR man, pphtt...

That's just a general summary of what I've read that they've said. Why not believe it? They are a house that can actually deliver that kind of thing. DX surprised a lot of people so I for one am prepared to believe they can do it again.

Anyway, its a shame they aren't going to be releasing a SDK, mods and such have always been an integral part to any recent classic.

DX was a "recent classic" and I doubt you can name one mod for that game off the top of your head. I can think of one.

Would you be arguing with me if I was Ray Marden? I hear he's kinda looking forward to this game too...

News Comments > No DX: Invisible War SDK
14. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2003, 14:33 Von Helmet

If you finished the first one in three days you must have been playing for about 12 hours a day. In that case, get a life, mmmkay? Either that or you seriously rushed it and missed out on all the cool stuff.

This one will be shorter, but broader. Less linear. More to do.

= winnar

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Farmer Oct 16, 2003, 14:26 Von Helmet

These are probably the verses in question... Revelation 13:16-18

"And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."

That's KJV so that's probably the same version the farmer is using. Sounds a bit weird to me. I've heard a lot about this lately, like with the whole ID card thing, or people getting microchipped. People think that kind of thing is the mark of the beast.

I'm inclined to think that the mark of the beast is more a soul related thing, and that the government can do whatever the heck they want with a picture of me. I don't think it's going to make much difference who has my picture, it doesn't mean me soul has been sold.

44. Re: AOL ad has got to go Oct 15, 2003, 18:33 Von Helmet

No, anon posting isn't back. Someone just has a nick that looks like an anon poster.

87. Re: Matrix Reloaded Oct 15, 2003, 08:20 Von Helmet

Dixons had it for 13.49 but I don't know if they're still doing that, and Game had it for 14.99

37. Re: Matrix Reloaded Oct 14, 2003, 14:01 Von Helmet

And I wish Lucas had wished to write a decent script. But I guess that would be wishful thinking.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
19. Re: Mozilla Oct 14, 2003, 14:00 Von Helmet

Yeah man, Wheatabix rules!

I guess it's an English thing though.

Like Marmite.

33. Re: Check this link out Oct 14, 2003, 13:55 Von Helmet

because it won't have a happy ending

Oh for goodness sake, go read 1984 and then tell me the book is rubbish because it doesn't have a happy ending.

If all films/books etc have to have a happy ending then you immediately write off the idea that any situation is remotely powerful or scary.

Like in 28 Days Later I really thought they all should have died, because there was no easy way to get around what was going on.

Or in Equilibrium (which rips off 1984 to say the least) he should have failed.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
13. Re: Mozilla Oct 13, 2003, 04:06 Von Helmet

Well, I'm English so I'm pretty lost on the Ramen thing too.

I remember it getting mentioned in the Josie And The Pussycats film. Rachael Leigh Cook is h4wt in that.

News Comments > Quake II Evolved
8. Re: Impressive Oct 13, 2003, 04:04 Von Helmet

Tenebrae is more focussed on lighting and shadows i.e. making Quake run like Doom 3 or some crazy idea like that.

So far this is more to do with particle effects and that kinda thing. There's less to do with lighting.

I think that's the deal anyway.

40. Re: Kill Bill? What a load of crap. Oct 13, 2003, 04:01 Von Helmet

LOTR got split because of it's length, and the fact that it was written in 3 bits in the first place.
The Matrix was split into three films because otherwise the one film would have been 8 hours long.

Kill Bill was split because of the same thing - length.

News Comments > Halo Patch
22. Re: Is this the patch... Oct 8, 2003, 18:00 Von Helmet

Is this the post that makes this joke funny again?

64. Re: Image of the day Oct 6, 2003, 18:55 Von Helmet

The forklift pic is in the same directory as that IOTD one. Just look in there. There's some weird stuff in there. The drunk.jpg or whatever it's called is really creepy - makes my head hurt to look at it.

News Comments > Max Payne 2 Gold
22. Re: uhm... Oct 6, 2003, 16:17 Von Helmet

And Havok physics!!

Seriously though, that's about it.

To be honest, I'll probably buy it nonetheless, as it's a bit of a drought at the moment. The only other thing that remotely catches my interest at the moment is Jedi Acdemy, and that looks pretty samey and dull.

Hence I have resorted to replaying Splinter Cell and playing System Shock 2; except I get bored after 20 minutes of SC because it's the same as when I played it the first time, and I get too scared playing SS2 as it's too freaking hard!

News Comments > More on Half-Life 2 Source
128. Re: Hardware cheats etc Oct 6, 2003, 16:15 Von Helmet

Man, that last paragraph made no sense!

Anywho... There were problems with this kind of thing before. I think it was some AOpen or ABit drivers that allowed you to set everything to wireframe i.e. it was a very simple wallhack. I seem to recall they barred everyone who was using those drivers.

I don't know if you could get away barring everyone using remotely tweaked drivers on the basis that they're unknown, and I think the rendering ideas might be a bit difficult.

26. Re: oldest American dies 114 Oct 6, 2003, 13:29 Von Helmet

Reminds me of Eddie Izzard talking about American history and stuff...

"We've re-decorated this building to how it looked over 50 years ago!!!"

"What, no! Surely not! No one was alive back then!"

Oh yeah, nin... Yeah, I'm loving the Nomad 3. I was gonna get the Zen, but you can't replace the batteries so that sucks. The Zen NX has replaceable batteries but it costs a mint, and I figure the Nomad 3 is a bit sturdier.

I agree that creative are generally best avoided on account of dodgy drivers, but I still stand by them for MP3 players and I must confess I have an Audigy just because it has pretty much the best EAX support.
This comment was edited on Oct 6, 13:32.

7. Totally off topic but... Oct 6, 2003, 11:49 Von Helmet

Right, so I know most people totally wail on Creative for having lousy tech support. This is sometimes fair, due to their record with drivers etc.

Anyway, just thought I'd share an example of rather better than normal tech support...

So I've got a Nomad Jukebox 3. One of these 20GB MP3 players which I can store my entire CD collection. So, that rules. Except then one of the rubber feet falls off and every time the player is on a flat surface and I push a button the thing rocks about and clonks and it's really annoying. So I e-mail tech support at Creative, expecting for them to either:

a) Laugh in my face
b) Try to charge me 50 for a new foot

Except they do neither. Two e-mails later and the guy says he's put a new rubber foot in the post for me. Free of charge.

I think that goes above and beyond the call of duty by any tech support standards!

12. Re: Deborah Lynn Marden Oct 5, 2003, 15:31 Von Helmet

That sucks dude.

You have all my sympathies, and I pray that you'll bear with this as well as anyone can ever be expected to.

565 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo