Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname KaRRiLLioN
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 11, 2001, 01:57
Total Comments 246 (Novice)
User ID 8988

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Mmmm Mimosa May 20, 2004, 17:20 KaRRiLLioN

I have some magnolia trees that I'd like to get rid of.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Catalyst Drivers
22. Re: What? May 16, 2004, 14:32 KaRRiLLioN

Dude, can you please buy me a new video card?
Hell, can I have your old ones?

Sorry, I usually take my "old" PC's and give them to my friends when I upgrade. I'm trying to convert some of them from console gaming to PC FPS gaming, and most of them had those crappy store-bought PC's that couldn't handle DukeNukem 3D at 240x240 res.

This comment was edited on May 16, 14:32.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
16. Re: this must be backwards May 16, 2004, 14:26 KaRRiLLioN

Other than this, I am blown away by what I have seen of BF 2 so far. It looks like every modern milcombat gamers wet dream.

I would say Operation Flashpoint has already achieved that. If OFP2 is an improvement, then I don't see how BF2 with its claustrophobic little islands and Quake-like gameplay can compare.

I played BF 1942 a bit when it came out, but was highly disapointed in the Quake physics and the tiny islands, especially when trying to fly planes.

OFP has tons of extremely high quality user addons. For a sample of what's out, check out these links:

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/
http://www.opflash.org/

Just check out some of the new islands that the community has made. You'd be amazed at the trees, bushes, grass and other foliage. Some islands don't have that same flat green texture over the surface anymore, they have real grass!

This comment was edited on May 16, 14:27.

News Comments > New Catalyst Drivers
16. Re: What? May 13, 2004, 12:41 KaRRiLLioN

I stopped updating my Catalyst drivers at 3.6. My Vidcard timeline is something like this:

Voodoo> Voodoo2> TNT> TNT2> GF1> GF2> GF2Ultra> GF3> GF3Ti500Ultra> GF4> GF4Ti4600ultra> GF5900FX Ultra>Radeon 9700 AIW Pro> Radeon9800Pro

I've never had problems with any Nivdia cards, but I was a bit disappointed in the 5900FX so I picked up a Radeon to check it out. I did have issues with the ATI drivers, however. When I was playing Jedi Academy, there were certain areas that would turn the entire screen white. I think it was some sort of lit texture that did it, so I would walk thru a hallway of them and everytime I passed one it turned the screen white for a second or two. That wasn't good while having a firefight. I reverted to 3.6 cataclyst and it worked ok again. It brought back other issues for other games though. I never had that problem with Nvidia.

Now with the newest cards out, and neither of them significantly faster than the other (except OGL) I'm considering going back to Nvidia. At 1600x1200 with full eye candy on both cards seem to perform excellently. Given the fact that Nvidia drivers have always worked flawlessly for me, I'll probably go back to Nvidia, unless the X800 XT Platinum comes out significantly sooner than the 6800 Ultra.

This comment was edited on May 13, 12:43.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Date
26. Re: Star Wars May 7, 2004, 19:37 KaRRiLLioN

I thought that I'd read about another Star Wars FPS coming out that was more single-player oriented...or was it about this that I was reading? I could have sworn it had something to do with being from more of a soldier perspective than that of a Jedi.

Does anyone know what I mean?

News Comments > SÖLDNER Delay
39. Re: This game sucks May 6, 2004, 11:22 KaRRiLLioN

I never took the time to try the demos. Is the gameplay anything like Operation Flashpoint, or is it more arcadish like BF 1942?

News Comments > More on the H-L2 Date
75. Re: HL2 May 5, 2004, 15:33 KaRRiLLioN

Er... are you in desperate need of a new video card right now? Or are you just trying to get the latest and greatest?

I upgrade about every 6-8 months, depending on if anything exciting is in the pipeline. I was planning on building a new PC when I got the vid card, but I haven't decided which CPU to go with yet. I bought an Nvidia 5900 Ultra when it came out, and then a month later bought an ATI 9800. If the first card that comes out isn't the cream of the crop, then I'll consider doing the same again. Right now it's hard to tell since neither card is in physical evidence, and the drivers are still being fine-tuned.

I still play a lot of older games in MP, like Operation Flashpoint, but I'm looking forward to the next gen games as well. From what I've seen, neither card is a clear winner in both departments. The 6800 is a clear winner in OGL and current and older games, the X800 XT is barely the winner in DX-9 benchmarks, but *might* have better quality, although I honestly can never tell from the screenshots.

Welp, time to visit NewEgg and begin piecing something together just so I'll have an idea what I'll want when the time is right.

35. Re: HL2 May 5, 2004, 12:27 KaRRiLLioN

OK, I finally read through some reviews and now I haven't a clue as to which vid card to buy. I was hoping ATI or Nvidia would take a much clearer lead. I play every game at 1600x1200 and then adjust the eye candy to make the FPS good on my 9800pro, so I won't even consider playing at a lower res than that. Yet, from what I've read, neither card takes a clear lead with everything maxed out. I think the biggest lead was maybe 5fps the X800 XT had. Then, of course, Nvidia was far ahead in the fps with the OGL games, and DX8 games. in the DX-9 games the X800 XT had a small lead but nothing mind-blowing.

*sigh*

Argh, I was hoping for something more definitive so I'd have no qualms about which to get. I guess I'll see which card comes out first and snag it. Looks like ATI might be first in that dept. I really have no name-brand preference, just speed with full eye candy enabled. The 6800 got me all wet when I saw its benchmarks. Now both cards get me wet.

3. Re: HL2 May 5, 2004, 11:34 KaRRiLLioN

Deja vu all over again!!

I am curious...I thought the X800 hadn't even met final specs yet, i.e. ATI was supposed to re-jigger the specs so it could have 16 pipes to it like the GF 6800. Considering how the GF 6800 benchmarked at about 3x faster than current vid cards in all manner of games, I can't imagine the ATI being 1.4x faster at HL2.

Probably no need to even worry about it at this point. I have little faith HL2 will be out this summer.

News Comments > Thief Date
6. Re: No subject May 1, 2004, 14:05 KaRRiLLioN

Their plan all along was to completely dash our hopes with DX: IW so that Thief would seem to be a master work by comparison!

News Comments > Counter-Strike Condition Zero Patch
22. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2004, 12:23 KaRRiLLioN

Yes, I remember when N0th1ng did.

News Comments > Counter-Strike Condition Zero Patch
18. Re: They forgot to mention Apr 29, 2004, 10:19 KaRRiLLioN

The original creator of CS killed himself, so let's not touch that topic

Who, Gooseman?

News Comments > Saturday Q&As
2. Re: Er... Apr 24, 2004, 13:26 KaRRiLLioN

I pulled out Thief and Thief II and am playing them through. It was very hard at first getting back into the older graphics and much slower gameplay. I've played both Splinter Cell games, and they player like DOOM compared to the pace of Thief. I'm getting back into the mindset now. I just hope Thief III can live up to its legacy.

News Comments > On Half-Life 2 Delays
136. Re: bleh Apr 19, 2004, 16:11 KaRRiLLioN

Nvidia Guy 1: "OMG!! HL2 will be shipping 9-30-03 and our card sux0rs in it!! We gotta do something!"

Nvidia Guy 2: "I know, buckets of cash!"

Nvidia Guy 1: "Or a lifetime supply of cheezy poofs."

Nvidia Guy 2: "Gabe, Nvidia would like to present you with a lifetime supply of cheezy poofs and ju-ju bees if you will delay HL2."

Gabe: "CHEEZY POOFS!! w00t!"

Later....

Gabe (to Valve employees): "WTF is taking so long to get HL2 ready??!!"

Valve employees: "We haven't finished playing Far Cry yet, and there's a 2 inch buildup of artificial cheese powder on our keyboards."

Gabe: "Hmm, how long would it take to turn those mercs into scientists with headcrabs on em?"

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 16:12.

News Comments > On Half-Life 2 Delays
40. Re: bleh Apr 19, 2004, 11:24 KaRRiLLioN

ATI: "Gabe, we really need to sell some video cards."

Gabe: "Well HL2 is at least another year away from release"

ATI: "How about this, you announce it'll be released Sept 30th, and that it only works well with ATI cards, then leak some alpha code to the net, claim it was stolen, and delay release. Oh, and here's a shoebox of cash."

Gabe: "Sure!!"

News Comments > Kingpin Sequel Planned
4. Re: Kingpin Apr 15, 2004, 11:26 KaRRiLLioN

Heh, just the other day I was cleaning out the attic and found a box of my old vid games. I pulled Kingpin out and decided to install it and play it for the hell of it just to see how its graphics look to me now. I was always amazed at the textures in that game.

An now they're announcing a sequel..hmm, I guess they've been watching me.

News Comments > Op Flashpoint: Resistance & GotY Patches
22. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2004, 11:08 KaRRiLLioN

Considering it's a game where you can drive anything from a Mini-cooper, to a Soviet T-80, to a US M1A2, or pilot a Cessna, A-10, F-18, RAH66 Comanche (and that's barely even scratching the surface) plus throw in the fact that there's a large very talented addons community, it amazes me that the game works as well as it does, especially in MP. Most other games only have to contend with bullets physics, and slow player models. OFP MP successfully (most of the time) deals with players+landvehicles+choppers+jets.

I do hope OFP2 greatly improves upon some things, but I'm still having loads of fun with the original. Some of the new islands coming out now have graphics that make you wonder if it's still OFP.

It's still the only game I know of where I can be playing a CTF with modern jets from an aircraft carrier, and then in the next mission play a capture and hold with WWII tanks and planes, and then after that play Team Assault in Ia Drang Valley in the Vienam war era. There's no shortage of variety.

News Comments > Op Flashpoint: Resistance & GotY Patches
3. Re: Hats off to BIS Apr 14, 2004, 15:34 KaRRiLLioN

Actually it should be hats off to Bohemian Interactive Studios (BIS). Codemasters is just the publisher.

I still play this in MP every night. With all of the addons and mods for it, there's a lot of variety.

News Comments > GeForce 6 Announced
55. Re: No subject Apr 14, 2004, 15:30 KaRRiLLioN

Also, heh, I just can't resist, the boost looks so huge because Nvidia's previous cards were so fucking slow

I dunno, all the comparisons I've seen show the 5950 barely ahead of the 9800XT, and the 6800 ultra with FSAA and Aniso turned full on doubling and sometimes tripling the 9800XT's FPS.

I had a 5900 Ultra, then switched to a 9800Pro. Looks like I'm getting a 6800 next. And if ATI produces something considerably faster after that, then I might get it again.

Also, to get the facts straight, it's the 6800 non-ultra that will be single-slot. The 6800 Ultra will be 2-slot (depending on the cooling solution). For enthusiasts, that shouldn't be a problem.

News Comments > GeForce 6 Announced
54. Re: No subject Apr 14, 2004, 15:30 KaRRiLLioN

hmm, dunno how this dbl posted...
This comment was edited on Apr 14, 15:31.

246 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo