Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname KaRRiLLioN
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 11, 2001, 01:57
Total Comments 246 (Novice)
User ID 8988

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Aaliyah's death Aug 26, 2001, 13:04 KaRRiLLioN

Yep it's a real shame, she was a beautiful girl. I saw her in the movie Romeo Must Die. Too bad this couldn't happen to little Bow-Wow. =)

As for the CSer who died, if there were amphetamines, then I'm sure that a myocardial infarction or something related is bound to happen. It might also be intersting to see if he was taking diuretics, vasodilators, digitalis, or beta-blockers for a heart condition.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Max Payne Demo Status
15. Re: FPS games Aug 23, 2001, 09:18 KaRRiLLioN

I think OFP's graphics are great. Sure they don't have a zillion colors flashing at you, but it's far more realistic. Kingpin's gameplay was very typical shoot-em-up FPS style, but yes, the graphics were extremely realistic. Deus Ex is almost my all-time fave, but the top honors for me go to Thief 1 and 2. Sure the graphics aren't all that great, but those games make up for it in the gameplay dept. I guess for me Max Payne isn't so enjoyable simply because there is no variety for the most part in what you do each level. Deus Ex was awesome because you could sneak or shoot. It was up to you.

12. Re: demo Aug 22, 2001, 20:29 KaRRiLLioN

I'm probably going off of nostalgia, but I remember the first time I loaded up KingPin and I was astonished at how breathtakingly real the textures looked. I couldn't believe that it was still the Q2 Engine. I've made a lot of maps for AQ2 and AHL and CS and I've yet to see textures that looked that good to me. It's more of a mapper's perspective I suppose.

I really wasn't engaged that much by Max Payne. Like I said gameplay had some nifty tricks, but the AI was somewhat stupid, I mean nearly everyone of them said "Max Payne!" before rushing me and eating my handcannon. The dives were nice for style points, but short on substance. Against one person, they work well, but for me ducking back and forth around corners worked the best. I mean really, other than the progression of story through the comic book scenes, you did the SAME thing every level. I can only think of the one puzzle near the end that was actually decent. Actually, I think the exploding restaraunt scene is very deserving of praise. That was the best level, it had my blood pumping. Otherwise, it was same-old same-old.

IMHO, GOTY should go to Operation Flashpoint. I know it's apples and oranges compared to Max Payne, but even Heavy Metal FAKK2 had a more engaging storyline...but not better graphics.

While I'll agree that Max Payne's player models were very nice with photorealistic skins, they were still missing several features, like emotions. I guess the best thing to compare Max Payne to is Soldier of Fortune. Very similar gameplay except for the FPS/TPS difference. Now add some diving stunts and slo-mo to SoF and that's Max Payne, although SoF's locales were much better and more interesting.

Insofar as multiplayer goes, I think BT is a cop-out. I mean it's their product...if they want it to have a very short shelf-life, then having no multiplayer is the way to go. I'm sure there are plenty of ingenious methods for having bullet time on a server.

Oops, sorry to ramble. It just goes to show how different we all are. I was really expecting a gem from Max Payne, but it barely kept me interested all the way through. OFP in contrast kept me playing over and over again because it's so dynamic.

3. Re: demo Aug 22, 2001, 15:19 KaRRiLLioN

Max Payne is a very typical shooter that you simply point and click your way through. Sure it has some nifty features, but the AI was about on Quake2's level. The graphics, while nice are no better than KingPin's. Overall the gameplay started out cool, but once bullet time got old, the gameplay was revealed to be boring and extremely linear. Just shoot all of the bad guys who come running around the corner at you and avoid their pin-point precision.

The fact that they didn't even TRY to make a multiplayer component speaks volumes. Hell Action Half-Life had all of those stunts a long time before the game ever came out. It still might have been a decent multiplayer experience even without bullet time.

I wouldn't rate the game higher than $26.00. If you want a great although short experience, Hitman Codename 47 is awesome.

News Comments > Jedi Outcast Preview
2. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2001, 11:45 KaRRiLLioN

I just hope that it's better than ST Elite Force. The game itself was a decent diversion, but it really had only a thin veneer of ST on it...otherwise the AI was as dumb as any Quake game I've played.

News Comments > Anarchy Online Patch
19. Re: What a crock Jul 30, 2001, 16:11 KaRRiLLioN

Judging from WW2OL and Anarchy OL I would say that it's probably wise not to even play these games until they've been out at least 6 months to a year. I've never played a MMORPG or any other persistent online game except for a brief beta-testing stint for Meridian 69 several years ago.

Too many of these companies seem to be taking great liberty with the constant patching mentality when what this really should be is an open beta period until it's actually done right.

246 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo