Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname KaRRiLLioN
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 11, 2001, 01:57
Total Comments 246 (Novice)
User ID 8988

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Name that TV series! Jun 18, 2006, 19:59 KaRRiLLioN

This is completely unrelated, but I've been wracking my brains trying to remember the name of this TV show that came on when I was little.

It was humorous and fantasy-based with a princess that rode on a unicorn with a horn that would flop around when it galloped. I also remember a prince and some fat guy being the main characaters in it. I've been Googling and such trying to winnow out the name of the blasted show but no bananna. Does anyone else remember this TV series? I think it was in the 80's sometime.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. AMD + ATI Jun 13, 2006, 21:49 KaRRiLLioN

I hope not! What'll that mean for Nvidia chipsets? So far I can't see the Crossfire platform as competing with a relatively mature chipset like Nforce.

News Comments > Evening Q&A
3. Re: me want boxed booster pack Jun 3, 2006, 12:19 KaRRiLLioN

Or just buy Operation Flashpoint Resistance and download a massive arsenal of realistic vehicles for free.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Video Games in Olympics Jun 1, 2006, 15:13 KaRRiLLioN

Well, at least they wouldn't have to test these guys for doping, since it wouldn't really matter.

It would be interesting, if only for the spectacle of the contrast between the Cyberatheletes and the regular ones.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Implant Tracking Chips in Immigrants Jun 1, 2006, 14:59 KaRRiLLioN

If they can do this, why don't they implant them in prisoners? That way when there's a prison break they can track 'em with the chip.

Also, politicians need them so we can find out when they're at a brothel or taking bribes in some dark parking garage.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: AMD/ATI May 31, 2006, 23:24 KaRRiLLioN

And what about NForce boards for AMD chips?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Blood Money
40. Re: With luck... May 31, 2006, 21:17 KaRRiLLioN

I'm all for unlimited saves in most typical FPS's and RPG's, but Hitman is really different. It's not like you're trying to get from point A to B by wading through an army of baddies; rather, it's about connecting the dots, the dots being your targets. In order to do that, you need to study the entire area, find out their routines, then plan their demises.

As I said earlier, I certainly didn't complete each mission the first time I played it, even with saves, since I wanted to get a Silent Assassin rating with all accidents if possible.

I'm really not sure what to compare this to--Hitman is, well, Hitman. I mean if you do intend to play it like a standard FPS then you can and I would recommend playing it on easy so you have unlimited saves. If you want to play it as the designers intended then you'll quickly find that you don't need all of those pesky saves. Me, I'm good with 2-3 saves, though after replaying several levels, I've found ways where you don't need to save at all.

Also, about the saves vanishing when you quit--yes it may suck, but really, this isn't a game you sit down at, play for a few minutes then shut it off. You just will have a hard time figuring out a strategy. If you're really limited on time and hate the saves issue, use a walkthrough on gamefaqs and you can complete some missions in under 2 minutes, sans an SA rating, of course.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Blood Money
22. Re: With luck... May 31, 2006, 15:13 KaRRiLLioN

I finished the game and got an SA rating on all missions, tried to use only accidents for targets, though it's not always possible.

This Hitman is by far the best, however. You're not always presented with a scenario with a ten second window to make something happen as in some of the other Hitman games, i.e. strangle the guy who's taking a piss within the first few seconds or you'll have to start over. In fact, the only mission I know of where you're actually constrained by a time limit of sorts still gives you plenty of time to figure things out.

Anyway, the first mission was stupid--absolutely stupid to use as a demo. I think they wanted to win the $$ of those twitch gamers who are looking for a quick shoot-em up. Blood Money is anything but.

On most missions it took me at least an hour to scope out all angles, test different approaches, and then finally arrive at my mission plan, whereupon I'd restart the mission and run through it to see how it all worked. I loved it.

And depending on which difficulty you're playing on, you get plenty of saves and you can save anywhere, for example on easy you get INFINITE saves! If you're in the mood for a challenge, play on a difficulty with less saves. You're given the FREEDOM to choose! The only catch is, if you completely restart the level or exit the game, then you lose those saves and have to start from the beginning again. Before you bitch, remember, this isn't some linear point and click where you walk through a corridor, shoot people and advance. This is about making a plan and executing it to perfection.

And the best part is, you can do it in a multitude of ways. In one level I wanted to get all accidents, but the stupid target wouldn't get close enough to a balcony, for example, where I could shove him over. So, I snuck up behind his guard, took him as a human shield, knocked him out and hid him in the bathroom, then snuck up behind the target, took him as a human shield and walked him out to the balcony then...whoops! Over the railing he went. Fun stuff.

Anyway, I was bored as hell with contracts...seemed far too linear and you had to have the entire plan ready to go or you'd be too late. It just felt too tight. Maybe it was more realistic--I mean the same guy isn't going to walk around, go to the bathroom and take a piss every five minutes unless he has some bladder issues, but anyway, I digress.

Great game, but only get it if you're patient and clever (or like to use walkthroughs). If you're more into twitch gaming, skip it--you'll get bored by having to analyze and think about how to approach the puzzle.

This comment was edited on May 31, 15:15.

News Comments > Gold - Rush for Berlin
6. Re: No subject May 16, 2006, 12:01 KaRRiLLioN

True.

30. Re: No subject May 11, 2006, 21:19 KaRRiLLioN

I got one of those Dell 30" monitors. It looked really sweet playing Oblivion and most other games at 1920x1440, though I tried a couple at the native res of 2560x1600 and my 7800GTX 256mb couldn't handle it.
I've looked at upgrading my vid card but...I dunno the newer cards look pretty noisy and I HATE fan noise.

Anyway, the Dell is schweet but it does cost a dime. The characters in Oblivion literally looked about as big as me when you do the whole dialog thing.

On another subject, the Wii is the first console that's intrigued me since I got the original PS oh so long ago. Sword fights and such in a FPS would rawk with that new controller. I'm gonna keep an eye on it. As for the other consoles, for the prices they put on 'em, they can keep 'em. I have a 65" widescreen TV that'd be coole to use with them, but...I prefer PC if it's only a graphics thing.

14. Ethanol Apr 30, 2006, 13:17 KaRRiLLioN

How much does it actually cost to make your own Ethanol? If you have to boil the mash and purchase ingredients for it, how much are you actually saving on a tank of gas?

That's the problem with some of these 'alternative' fuels for combustion engines--you're still burning something to make something to burn, though Biodiesel sounds like a decent tradeoff since it'd be wasted otherwise. I just hope something like Hydrogen fuel cells work out.

9. Re: wow...six is pretty good. Apr 14, 2006, 11:54 KaRRiLLioN

I'm researching tankless water heaters which seem to be a good way to go although installation by a professional increases the cost a bit.
I've already replumbed my house, rewired it and run new gas lines myself so installing one myself probably won't be an issue.
I do have a plumber coming out to quote me on a Rinnai http://foreverhotwater.com but I think he'll be to expensive--about $1000 for the unit + $2,000 for his labor.
I'll most likely end up going with a Bosch from Home depot, the type that auto-ignites when it detects water flow since I can install that one myself--the Rinnai requires professional installation for the warranty.
Costwise, the devices that can supply around 6.5-8.5 gallons per minute of hot water are about $1000 which is, of course, a deal more than the normal ones, but the cost savings would probably equal out over 2-3 years especially with the prices of natural gas.
Consider that the gas water heaters run a pilot light all day, ignite to heat the water back up at least once an hour (for longer should you actually use any hot water), and the tankless ones sound pretty good.
The ones I'm looking at can supply 2 major outlets at once, i.e. dishwasher + shower.

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 11:57.

News Comments > Oblivion Patch/Content Plans
43. Re: Posts Apr 7, 2006, 11:44 KaRRiLLioN

I don't usually play RPG's but decided to give this one a try and aside from some difficulty issues, i.e. freaking NPC leveling, it's pretty cool, but all this ado about small addons especially horse armor of all things is somewhat laughable. I used Prior Mabrel's horse for about five minutes then walked instead, especially since I don't think you get athletics or acrobatics built up much by riding a horse. That and you can't even do fighting from horseback makes it kind of useless.

I had the unicorn for a little while, then killed it for a Daedra quest, especially since the thing goes nuts if you pull a weapon near it.

So the Orrery is not unlocked in the course of the standard game? I had always wondered about that, especially after becoming the head honcho at A.U.

News Comments > Illumina Announced
3. Re: No subject Mar 20, 2006, 14:54 KaRRiLLioN

It says they're Irish in the press release.

News Comments > Medieval 2: Total War Announced
18. Re: Weee! Jan 21, 2006, 13:50 KaRRiLLioN

interesting

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. AMD Jan 18, 2006, 11:34 KaRRiLLioN

I take exception to those statements about no-frills PC's with regard to AMD. Are they saying that the only purpose for AMD chips would be to make no-frills cheap laptops and PC's? Don't they do any marketing research whatsoever and see that most people who build their own PC's build them for performance and use AMD chips? Are they complete morons?

And in the Intel article, I love the convenience of Merill Lynch's negativity toward AMD to cut its stock down...gee I wonder who gave up a sexual favor for that one? Just because Intel's roadmap looks promising is not a reason to justify undercutting its rival, especially when AMD has kept the lead for so long now.

And one other thing, the whole Mac's using Intel chips now kinda ticks me off. I mean, if Jobs were really thinking he could have at least gone with AMD so their dedicated base could still feel 'different'.

I know I'm coming across as an AMD fanboi here, but I'm an IT director who purchases a lot of servers and workstations every year, and I purchase both Intel and AMD, but it really ticks me off how there's not really a choice a lot of times. I firmly believe the Opteron servers are outperforming the Xeon ones but Dell doesn't offer a choice, so I took all my budget and started spending it with HP instead since they do offer a choice.

News Comments > Steam Update
26. Re: No subject Oct 30, 2005, 13:05 KaRRiLLioN

I've had no issues running FEAR maxed out at 1600x1200 on my 7800 and AMD 4800+ X2.

FEAR vs. HL2..well each has their strong points. The funny part about FEAR is that I'm almost relieved when I hear the replicas' radios going off, because I know I won't have to worry about pissing myself when that little girl appears at the top of a ladder or something.

I played HL2 for the 2nd time thru a few weeks ago and enjoyed it more, even though the ending--well I won't go into that. Ravenholm is one of the best levels, spooky, atmospheric, and yes--it can startle you into pissing yourself as well, thanks to those little black hoppers.

Level design--HL2 hands down. FEAR is nothing but an industrial/office building mix from what I've seen so far. I've not yet finished it, just at the Alice Wade level. I keep hoping for some fantastic level to come up, but nada.

Oh well.

Both games destroy Q4 from what little I've played of that game.

Ah, almost forgot, FEAR's shotgun + SloMo + replica soldiers saying "OH Sh*T!" = teh funz

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 13:07.

97. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 18:33 KaRRiLLioN

I'm actually glad to see this happen, even though I'm in Atlanta and we are majorly affected by the loss of the SE pipeline. The news around here spread panic by declaring we'd be out of gas so of course there were 2-mile long lines at all the gas stations for gas. Then our Governor decides to sign an executive order prohibiting price gouging....talk about stupidity. Let's keep the prices low so everyone can fill up unecessarily and then really use up the gasoline supply so that those who really need the gas won't have it! I'd rather see the gas prices go up to $5.00/gallon just to slow down these idiots rushing to the pump. I got up this morning and drove to the pump at about 10am. I got 5 gallons in about 2 mins. The day before, this same station had a line of people stretching back a mile. Of course they were all sitting in their SUV's idling with the A/C blowing on full. DUH?

Anyway, back to the point about me being happy this has happened. First, I'm hoping that gas prices shoot through the roof and help take some cars off the road here in ATL by cutting down on unecessary driving which will in turn cut down on the summer smog issues around here. Second I hope this really pushes some companies to start pushing a lot harder for alternative fuel sources. I REALLY want a fuel cell for my house so I don't have to worry about losing power during a storm when a tree falls on the lines. Third, this proves just how vulnerable our infrastructure is. This should hopefully get some attention focused on that.

On the bad side, I'd ordered a $12,000 server from HP to replace our aged SQL server. HP delayed shipping it, finally got it out via UPS ground. It was supposed to be delivered monday, but since it came from Houston it was routed through LA. IDIOTS!!! I mean they had 3 FULL days of news coverage showing that Hurricane Killarina was going to blast NO and obviously they didn't try to get their warehouse moved out. STUPID!!!! I needed that server a week ago.

As for the people who decided to ride out the storm...you got your just desserts IMHO.

75. Re: AV software Jul 8, 2005, 21:15 KaRRiLLioN

For AV: www.sophos.com

It's mainly corporate, but doesn't hog resources and is updated often. It's what I use for our Exchange Cluster and for our workstations.

News Comments > Meridian 59 Free Trial
11. Re: Wow Jun 2, 2005, 21:17 KaRRiLLioN

Man, I played this back in '96, and it was the first and last MMORPG that I ever played. It was during a beta or alpha stage that I was playing it and just as soon as I'd get a decent amount of XP, they'd wipe it clean. The animations for fighting were hilarious, and the enemies like giant pixellated spiders and ants. From the pics, it looks almost the same.

At least it taught me that those sorts of games just suck you in and they aren't really any fun, IMHO.

246 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo