Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname KaRRiLLioN
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 11, 2001, 01:57
Total Comments 246 (Novice)
User ID 8988

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > New Action Half-Life
3. Re: Wow Oct 26, 2003, 20:04 KaRRiLLioN

I used to be a member of this mod team. I had a ton of fun with this mod, and that was over a year ago. I imagine they've come a long way since then, even. It had features that made CS look stone-age.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ATI HL2 Bundle Update
9. Re: ricochet! Oct 26, 2003, 14:04 KaRRiLLioN

This has to be one of the most ill-conceived bundle packs I've heard of in a long time.

Valve Premier pack? You don't even get Code Blue with it!

Aside from that, yes, it seems idiotic to spend that much on a vid card and then to have to wait 4-6 weeks to get HL2, LOL!

News Comments > Op Flashpoint RTS-3
20. Re: Soothing?... Relaxing?... Oct 20, 2003, 16:52 KaRRiLLioN

I have a few metal shavings you can mix in as well.

10. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2003, 21:52 KaRRiLLioN

BTW, here's a link to the screenshots..please forgive my crappy html skillz...

http://www.aggression.org/Karr/RTSPics.html

3. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2003, 14:42 KaRRiLLioN

You can find more info at the forums:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=0345c98d6acb632409bf956e29bfd754;act=ST;f=55;t=34575

There's also an in-game manual as part of the briefing that explains pretty much everything you can do. Of course hopping into a game with some regulars and playing is a really good way to learn.

Playing as the commander is a bit daunting for most beginners, but playing as one of the squad leaders is easier.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Delayed
182. Re: Steam? Sep 25, 2003, 11:07 KaRRiLLioN

I have decided to take measures to an extreme.

I absolutely will not play Half-Life2 or any of its mods until it is released.

I am following Dantastic's hunger strike lead on this, but since I rarely eat while playing video games anyway, I am upping the ante on his feeble attempt at coercing Valve to release their game regardless of how it will play on my Trident 1mb card.

Also, it's been a while since I've gone on a murderous rampage due to the effects a really good video game can have on my psyche. I'm hoping HL2 will once again help me to break that barrier since GTA III just doesn't quite push me to the edge anymore.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Delayed
119. Oh well at least there's this... Sep 24, 2003, 11:37 KaRRiLLioN

I'm surprised anyone is concerned that HL2 is delayed when we have a sleeper blockbuster right here!

http://www.valusoft.com/products/18wheelsamer.html

News Comments > Out of the Blue
95. Re: Best Wishes Sep 18, 2003, 10:17 KaRRiLLioN

Really sorry to hear this. I hope she pulls through ok.

News Comments > DOOM 3 & DX9
66. Re: the truth... is out there.... Sep 18, 2003, 00:06 KaRRiLLioN

So, when's the Radeon 9900 coming out? I have a 9800 on order that I'll use until the 9900 comes out (if it's truly much better). Most of the games I'm playing now though run better on my GF-FX 5900 Ultra.

The latest 3.7 drivers for my 9700 at work are finally working right. Before then I had issues with the 9700 and was cursing myself for wasting money on it, but I'm glad to see they finally have gotten at least this phase right. Goodness knows Nvidia's been kicking their ass for the past several years. We'll have to see if ATI can hold onto it, or if they'll fade like AMD did with their Athlons vs the P4.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 00:07.

News Comments > NVIDIA & Half-Life 2
105. Re: Let's club Nvidia to death Sep 12, 2003, 00:32 KaRRiLLioN

Wow, lots of upset, angry people here.

I have a GF-FX 5900 Ultra at home and a Radeon 9800 at work (I play games in both places). I've turned up the effects for my games on both of em and run at 1600x1280, and I honestly can't see the difference between em. ATI had some bad drivers that kept darkening the game horribly when I alt-tabbed out. I think their latest revision might have solved that...I hope.

I'll just have to test out both cards on HL2 whenever it's out. Since my company buys my hardware, I don't care really. I don't have to be a fanboy for either company.

I really think, however, that if Valve is going to be professional about it, then both cards will perform well. Ever since Nvidia took the OEM business away from ATI a few years back, I'd imagine most "mainstream" PC's are running Nvidia chips. I know ATI is making inroads again into OEM, but I remember when they were the OEM kings. Not even 3DFX in its heyday had more chips in PC's than ATI at the time.

It's a cyclical industry. What gives one group reason for joy today, will eventually fade away to be replaced by joy for the other group.

My advice: keep enough money around to buy both cards.

News Comments > Operation Flashpoint 2 Delayed
25. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2003, 23:28 KaRRiLLioN

http://www.flashpoint1985.com

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi

This is the official website. The forum link is very useful because there's an addons forum, etc.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 23:29.

News Comments > BF 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII Demo Soon
28. Re: No subject Jul 17, 2003, 12:21 KaRRiLLioN

How large are the maps on DC? I would imagine they'd have to be fairly large to accommodate jets. It looks pretty cool though, similar to what I've been playing on Operation Flashpoint.

News Comments > BF 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII Demo Soon
16. Re: A demo of an expansion? Jul 17, 2003, 01:51 KaRRiLLioN

What is DC?

News Comments > New Half-Life 2 Movie
20. Re: Half Life 2 Jul 17, 2003, 01:45 KaRRiLLioN

Does BitTorrent always allow ppl to download from your PC, or only when it's manually turned on?

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 01:45.

15. Re: DVD software. Jul 8, 2003, 12:05 KaRRiLLioN

Try visiting http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

It's a treasure trove of info for making DVD's etc.

16. Re: ...Soft Walls Jul 4, 2003, 15:30 KaRRiLLioN

I think they should encase the buildings and the planes in thick goose-down mattresses.

News Comments > Tech Bits
19. Re: No subject Jul 4, 2003, 04:03 KaRRiLLioN

Nvidia playing "catch up", and losing. Who'd have thunk it a year or so ago?

That's the way the high-tech ball bounces. They're ahead again, but barely. If ATI manages to keep their drivers support from screwing up any new releases, then they should be neck and neck for a while.

Of course the main thing about this biz is that the fastest cards do not really matter except for bragging rights. Most ppl get the mid-range cards because they're not going to plunk down over $200 for a vid card, and also OEM chips and such which Nvidia is doing very well in are the main money makers. It used to be you couldn't get a laptop or other pre-made PC without having an ATI Rage or equivalent in it. Ever since the Geforce, Nvidia has really taken a large portion of the OEM business away from ATI. That's where they make their money and that's where the game is "won".

15. Re: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra Jul 3, 2003, 21:57 KaRRiLLioN

I think the 5900's may have been out, but I haven't seen any availability on the 5900 Ultra. It definitely isn't worth the $565 my company is paying for it, but they give me mostly free reign on my budget, so I'll snag it and see how it is.

I got mine from NewEgg.com. On pricegrabber I saw only two others listed, but at companies I'm not familiar with. Good thing about NewEgg is that they only let you buy it if it's in stock so you don't order it and find out that it's on pre-order or backorder, etc. I think the huge price point is going to keep even a lot of early adopters from plunking down the change for it. Unless ATI comes out with a better card before Half-Life2 or Doom3 come out, I wouldn't expect to see the price drop much on this card.

Now to figure out what to do with this extra GF4 Ti4600....

6. Re: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra Jul 3, 2003, 15:59 KaRRiLLioN

I just ordered mine for $565. It's SO nice when my company buys me any PC hardware I want. I got the Gainward Golden sample version, whatever that is. I saw one by EVGA or something like that as well, but I'm at least familiar with Gainward. Now I suppose it's time to upgrade my P4-2.8 to a P4-3.2. I have a 3.0gz at work, but I'm not sure if that hyperthreading is really making a huge difference when compared to my 2.8 which hasn't that feature included.

I have a radeon 9800 all in wonder in my work PC, but to tell the truth, I have issues with it. When I alt-tab out of a game, and then go back in, the screen gets a lot darker. I dunno why. I've updated to the latest drivers. Meh. I hope the 5900 Ultra works ok. I've been wanting to update my GF4-4600 for a while, but I didn't want to put a vacuum cleaner (FX 5800) into my PC.

News Comments > Star Trek Game Lawsuit
38. Re: Trek sucks. Jul 1, 2003, 20:10 KaRRiLLioN

I like Enterprise. I tend to download all of the episodes and save them until I have the entire season and then watch it. It's a lot better when you can see the character development by watching an ep a day than by having it stretched over months.

Babylon 5 is the best Sci Fi for TV for sure. It has a long, cohesive storyline that borrows heavily from myth and recreates it into a sci-fi theme. I will say the first season was pretty corny, but from about the time De'lynn went into a chrysalis, it got really interesting. The space battles were awesome to behold. I just wish that Crusade had made it. I really wanted humanity to be saved, but I guess we'll all perish from that Drak plague.

I also enjoy the TV movies with B5. I sure hope they come out with some more.

I hope Enterprise goes the full 7 seasons. I've been watching ST for years, and it's a well done show. I think it shows the trivial things that go on when you're in space, as well as the big conflicts. In real life, I think exploring would be a very dull thing, unless there's a hell of a lot more aliens out there than there seems to be.

246 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo