Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname .Drifter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 20, 2001, 09:41
Total Comments 466 (Amateur)
User ID 8752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Crytek Plans Darksiders Bid
16. Re: Crytek Plans Darksiders Bid Mar 30, 2013, 00:43 .Drifter

Creston wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 14:51:
saluk wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 13:33:
Creston wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 11:13:
Again, I don't understand why this IP somehow has value. It's all based off stuff that's simple mythology, just like Titan's Quest was. So what are you buying other than the name Darksiders?

Are devs/publishers so hard for sequels that they spend money on basically worthless IP just so that they can release something with a Roman numeral in the name?

Creston

Everything's based on stuff. I don't get your point.

Mythology is free. Nobody owns it. You don't have to pay license fees over it. Therefore, you change two minor details about the story, call it DarkFarers, and voila, you just made darksiders 3 without owing a penny.

Incidentally, if you had read the description - they (many of the original creators) want the IP because the developers put time into it and want to own what they helped create. Emotional value. Makes perfect sense.

Yeah, makes perfect sense for Crytek to buy it so that they own it. It won't be owned by the devs, unless they somehow think that they're going to be working for Crytek for the rest of their lives/won't get closed.

Creston

Ah, but this is their version of the mythology. The look, the style, the setting.
And seriously, if you played and enjoyed the first two games, what would you rather buy:

Darksiders III - continues on the story with the same characters.
DarkFarers - new story, "spiritual successor" that doesn't have anything to do with the game and story you're invested in from playing Darksiders I and II

As for Crytek buying it, yeah it can make sense. If someone else gets it, they lose it. If Crytek gets it, maybe they can work out some buyback where they take the IP back over if they perform well, or buy it off from profits on games they make for Crytek. That would be a lot easier to work out than a deal with a potentially unknown entity who might try to screw them over on a buyout price if they got the IP. Not to say Crytek might not do the same thing, of course, but better the devil you know than the one you don't.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Victory Kickstarter Cancelled
14. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 21:42 .Drifter

Cutter wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 18:09:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 16:32:
Also, too: the MOBA genre is saturated. Don't try to crowdsource something that everyone is sick of, even if you are using a setting that hasn't been tried before.

I don't know about that. Have you seen what some of the boardgame and PnP RPG systems have been doing? They've been crushing it huge. Blowing away video games actually. Several of them are close to 1200% over their funding goal. It's nuckin' futs.

Edit: Er, I meant 12,000%!

That percentage isn't quite as impressive when you take into account that many boardgame/pnp games start out asking for far less than most computer games do, at least the ones I've seen on Kickstarter. When your starting goal is between 5K to 30K, the percent funded can potentially be huge, especially compared to another project asking for a starting amount 30x higher.

What's more impressive to me is the amount donated per backer for these games, compared to computer games, with backers sometimes pledging up to 4x what a computer game backer does.

News Comments > Sam Raimi on the Warcraft Film
17. Re: Sam Raimi on the Warcraft Film Mar 6, 2013, 22:16 .Drifter

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 09:11:
SXO wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 08:55:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 02:42:
.net_Drifter wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 00:46:
Raimi: I found out it wasn't my way or the highway, and whoops . . . that was that.

Before Spiderman 3, I might have thought it was a dick move by Blizzard.
After watching Spiderman 3, however . . . I'd have reservations about any screenplay he wrote about any property that wasn't his own, too.

Spiderman 3 wasn't all his fault. The studio forced him to add Venom, which really screwed up his original script.
Who forced him to add the dance routine?

That right there is the million dollar question. I almost walked out of the theater.

The dance scene at least got a laugh out of me, if nothing else.

As for Venom, well if Sandman was his first choice, I kind of see why they wanted to shoehorn Venom into the movie. Opinions might vary, but personally I always saw Sandman as a throw away villain.
Even Kraven the Hunter would have been a better villain than just Sandman.

News Comments > Sam Raimi on the Warcraft Film
8. Re: Sam Raimi on the Warcraft Film Mar 6, 2013, 00:46 .Drifter

Raimi: I found out it wasn't my way or the highway, and whoops . . . that was that.

Before Spiderman 3, I might have thought it was a dick move by Blizzard.
After watching Spiderman 3, however . . . I'd have reservations about any screenplay he wrote about any property that wasn't his own, too.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Mar 3, 2013, 01:19 .Drifter

The Bridge wasn't actually a bad follow up to The Sign, or Happy Nation if you're in Europe, but Ace of Base really changed directions with it.
Probably cost them a few fans, which they never regained on subsequent albums.

News Comments > More Valve Layoffs
46. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 15, 2013, 02:30 .Drifter

I find it semi amusing that these layoffs are being put in terms of why a normal company would lay this many people off at once, when valve is run like no normal company I know or have worked for.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Feb 11, 2013, 04:00 .Drifter

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 20:16:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 19:28:
That demo didn't really look any better tjam UT3, which is still the best-looking UE3 game.

What the hell is Tjam UT3?

Guessing it was meant to be "better than UT3."

News Comments > Commander Keen Successor Kickstarter
18. Re: Commander Keen Successor Kickstarter Feb 5, 2013, 02:56 .Drifter

Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 21:15:
I can just see Tom sitting there, going "Goddammit, I've GOT to get in on this sweet nostalgia money! What other games have I done that I can bring out? COMMANDER KEEN!"

When this one fails, maybe he'll finally realize he needs to kickstart a sequel to Anachronox.

Creston

As much as I'd love to get a sequel to Anachronox . . . I doubt a Kickstarter would be successful. No one really seemed to care about it, beyond the hardcore fans of the game.
That being said, if he does kickstart an Anachronox sequel, my money's ready.

News Comments > Police Quest Creator Plans New Game
11. Re: Police Quest Creator Plans New Game Feb 3, 2013, 02:42 .Drifter

nin wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 21:53:
.net_Drifter wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 21:33:
I'm hoping for a sequel to Codename: Iceman.
I really liked that one, and hated sales were not high enough for the sequel to get made.

I remember that one. Took me forever to figure out what you were supposed to do in the sub battles. Also remember how, when you played the dice game (can't remember what it was), it would detect if you were saving your game after winning each round, and eventually comment on it.

Yeah, the sub game was a pain in the butt.
And the game would really, really screw you over if you didn't do everything strictly by the book. Literally, since you had to have the manual to have the order in which to do certain things, and if you didn't you'd eventually get stuck at a point where you could not progress, and if you didn't have older saves you had to start the game over.
But still, fun game, they don't make them like that any more.

News Comments > Police Quest Creator Plans New Game
8. Re: Police Quest Creator Plans New Game Feb 2, 2013, 21:33 .Drifter

I'm hoping for a sequel to Codename: Iceman.
I really liked that one, and hated sales were not high enough for the sequel to get made.

News Comments > Diablo III 1.07 Preview
4. Re: Diablo III 1.07 Preview Jan 12, 2013, 19:28 .Drifter

LittleMe wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 16:41:
last!
More like next to last, since . . . LAST! (for now)

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2013, 05:16 .Drifter

Throwing out online sales, and not counting Steam, kind of keeps him from proving his assertion, seeing as how he doesn't have all the data to make it with.
About all he ends up proving is that retail sales and revenue are down, which I can believe since most of the games I purchase are either from Amazon or via Steam/GoG.

As for software companies making a good bit on 1.00 games and free to play with in app purchases . . . I don't know I agree with that one either.
I've read quite a few stories about several iOS and Android app makers selling these cheap/free apps and barely scraping by.

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2013, 05:27.

News Comments > WoW 5.2 Preview
3. Re: WoW 5.2 Preview Dec 23, 2012, 01:10 .Drifter

Looking through the notes, there seemed to be quite a few of what appeared to be buffs to me.  

News Comments > Asheron's Call 2 Returns
12. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 20:08 .Drifter

I remember one of my early experiences in the AC2 beta . . .

From what I can remember, water was not yet deadly, and there had been the ability to kill MOBs from in the water, and they wouldn't enter, so you were able to attack with impunity. I even remember being able to swim across huge areas of water to areas of the map you should not be able to get to, higher level areas, that you could then tie to.
At that point, you would attack a high level critter, die, restore at the tie point and run back to attack again. It would take a while, but when you killed the higher level critter finally, you'd level up. Yeah, it was an exploit, and people used it to level rapidly.
Turbine's response?
Make water slowly kill you when you entered.
Starter area became a death trap, since there was a stream to cross, and people were dieing, cussing, and carrying on until the updated the game. Took me several attempts to cross the stream and not die, to continue the starting area, lol.
Ah, fun times . . .

News Comments > The Secret World F2P Plans?
5. Re: The Secret World F2P Plans? Dec 11, 2012, 02:58 .Drifter

Hellbinder wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 01:51:
This game was built and advertized as FTP for at least 2 years before the sudden change to pay to play one year from release.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven as far as i am concerned.

Morons....

You know, I keep reading this and yet I can never remember Funcom stating that TSW was going to be free to play at launch.
This goes all the way back to . . . what was it, 2009, when they had that "which secret society are you" gimmick on their website.

News Comments > NCsoft: Nothing Had Been Decided on Selling City of Heroes
19. Re: NCsoft: Nothing Had Been Decided on Selling City of Heroes Dec 7, 2012, 20:36 .Drifter

I think Jivaro sums up what a lot of the community is feeling pretty well.

My thinking is that NCSoft will, say 6 to 8 months down the road, announce City of Heroes 2.
It'll be a free to play, made by a Korean development team on the cheap, and will be an Unreal Engine 3 based repaint of Lineage 2, except with super heroes.
It will have 4 heads, 8 hairdos, 10 different costumes that can be combined in three different sections (legs, torso, head), power sets based on repainted versions of the Lineage 2 classes, and it will have nothing to do with the original game.
Within a year or less, it will close, and they will wonder why.

16. Re: NCsoft: Nothing Had Been Decided on Selling City of Heroes Dec 6, 2012, 19:11 .Drifter

NewMaxx wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 17:10:
Ceribaen wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 13:00:
The other component was that there may be some eastern corporate world politics going on that we just don't have a view on, and CoX was a casualty of that.

Strategic vision takes on new meaning with Eastern politics. It's not enough to maintain a profit, one must consistently find growth. Now clearly Sony doesn't have this with say, Pirates of the Burning Sea, so why do they maintain it? It is because they want to retain the IP (or the license to publish it) and the (relatively decent) crew that runs it, but more importantly they want the corporate image of being family-friendly and reliable. The actual bottom line is a drop in the bucket for them, so clearly they put greater value on goodwill, possibly to repair their currently negative image.

NCSoft puts this up against DCUO and CO, looks at the tired, remaining team, as well as their overall portfolio, and even as a company with less of an appetite than Sony the politics simply say that there is little value in keeping that playerbase. Most likely they are gunning for a Perfect World+1 market (a step up), like Turbine's and Sony's and Funcom's, rather than PW's, and in their opinion CoH had leaned closer to the latter. So in a way it is still about image, just from a different angle.

MMO's (especially F2P's) are quickly becoming more about that than the profit, but people seems to have an issue seeing that clearly. There's a lot of value to be had in branding, goodwill, market presence, etc., and as MMO's get cheaper to maintain (as many said in this very thread) this is going to become more common, kind of like a toy in your breakfast cereal box. Their money is better spent on producing something like that than relying on a last-gen MMO that had an entirely different goal.

CoH was about the only game that NC Soft had that got rather consistent good word of mouth, had a good image with the community due the developers open channels of communications, and hasn't been considered a failure after launch.
Contrast that to most of the other games they've come out with in the past few years, other than Guild Wars, that have been anything but successful, well thought of games.
Tired game or not, it was able to maintain a core player base willing to consistently put down regular amounts of money to keep their game running, and all this went on with no real advertising budget to bring in new players, so contrast this to DCUO and CO which have few of the people that were playing it at launch still playing the game. Throwing away a player base like that, and then telling them and everyone else to try the martial arts themed game you're bringing over from Korea, where apparently it's not doing too well, doesn't seem like a very good financial or image decision.

14. Re: NCsoft: Nothing Had Been Decided on Selling City of Heroes Dec 6, 2012, 16:18 .Drifter

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 13:00:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 11:41:
Jivaro wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 11:32:
Wait, what does Perfect World have to do with it? Does Cryptic still have some kind of say in the CoX franchise?

Was about to say, CoX was run by Paragon Studios, which was the majority of the Cryptic crew that created it, and Cryptic sold it/left it and went with Atari until it was sold to Perfect Worlds.

That being said, I wouldn't mind Perfect World buying it and updating the engine to Champions Online/Star Trek Online's.

Not sure if it was posited here or on Ars. But the rumour was that something with the way the sales/split originally happened, PWE actually owns some aspect of the rights to the CoX IP. There was a licensing agreement in place but it just expired, and since PWE has their own competing product -- weren't going easy on NCSoft for re-licensing it. So NCSoft cut their losses and closed up shop on CoX.

The other component was that there may be some eastern corporate world politics going on that we just don't have a view on, and CoX was a casualty of that.

That rumor was debunked by Cryptic about a month ago, said they had nothing to do with the closure, nor did Perfect World.
As for the 80 employees, well there was a posting somewhere that NC Soft had them working on a secret new MMORPG but canceled it, and several/maybe half of their employees were on the new game.
I would post a link to the forum post but NC Soft shut the site down faster than you could blink.

News Comments > NCsoft Seattle "Realignment"
14. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 5, 2012, 02:30 .Drifter

Rumor I heard was that they were trying to either divest themselves of their American developers, or possibly absorb them, lay off all the American workers, then run them out of Korea.
Not sure how that would work with Arena Net though . . .

Then again, this could just be a rumor started by disgruntled CoH fans . . . of which I'm kinda one.

News Comments > On Sale
19. Re: On Sale Nov 20, 2012, 03:00 .Drifter

Two, maybe three times, they've tried the fan made campaigns. Never were any released.
And for the load times of the original, yeah, programming error. Later patches really sped it up. Still never was as fast as some games though.
As for Emergence, I don't remember any game breaking bugs, but there were some performance issues if I remember right, based on the earlier version of the Source engine used, mainly stuttering and sound glitches.
Well, unless you're talking about the pirated version. I seem to remember Ritual posting that the majority of their support requests were for the leaked, pirated version.

466 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo