Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname .Drifter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 20, 2001, 09:41
Total Comments 467 (Amateur)
User ID 8752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers
23. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 01:20 .Drifter

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 20:22:
walrus1 wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 19:38:
GASP! Why your right! That is the very definition of fraud! Go you with all that copying and pasting! But how is this case fraud? Do you and evidence they won't be able to deliver this game?

"These guys have been funded by private equity, but it's clear it was going to take many millions of dollars more," Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford said.

Do you have some particular problem comprehending what that means? They said they needed X amount of dollars, reality is they need a lot more. That's textbook fraud. Is that rocket surgery for you? I really don't understand how it can be anymore clear than that. Deceiving people for personal gain is fraud. Understand?

"going to take many millions of dollars more" . . . for what?
That, in the article, is never truly specified, at least not from my reading of it.
Millions more to make the game they were advertising?
Millions more to make a game equal to Homeworld's high standards?
Make it into a Homeworld game, by buying the IP? (It is mentioned they bid against, and lost to, Gearbox in the article, and that they are now expanding the team to turn it into a Homeworld game)

Without knowing exactly what they needed the millions more for, you can't say with 100% certainty that it's fraud.
Throw in the fact it's Randy Pitchford who's talking here, a man known for exaggeration, I don't know I'd take anything he said at face value. Heck, if he lent a friend 100 bucks to help buy a new set of tires, by the time he told someone about it he'd have given him "thousands for the repairs to his car."

Throw in this little quote:
"Hardware, in all respects, was Homeworld," Cunningham told Polygon today. "It looked, sounded and felt the same, but we wanted to take that style and experience further. When [Gearbox] acquired the property, it coincided with when we needed to find a partner."

And with this, my take on the matter was that the "millions of dollars more" was what they would need to take it beyond what they were advertising so far, and expand upon what they had, maybe even into a space based portion similar to Homeworld like someone else mentioned. They would be able to deliver what was promised, with what they had, but they wanted to do more so they wanted a partner. Somewhat akin to a stretch goal for a Kickstarter, if you will, with the stretch goal reached only via a partners contribution.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay
11. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 06:38 .Drifter

Harrowing wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 04:35:
OldTimber wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 02:11:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 20:51:
The have balls coming out with a pay to play game.
Yes why pay for something to further development and additions to it. I'm all for p2p games as it keeps the asshats out of them.

Because you seem like a really nice fellow and I can't wait to play games with you.

To be fair, in most of the p2p games I've played that have converted to f2p, zone/area chats have gone massively downhill.
Like, going from conversations about the game or other somewhat content related stuff, to pure idiocy.
Well, with the exception of WoW. That game always had idiocy in chat.

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Aug 17, 2013, 01:22 .Drifter

I've read the Space Hulk review twice now, and personally I think it's a pretty shitty review.
He spends the entire review saying what the game isn't, and what it isn't is apparently a tabletop game where you physically roll dice for your turns, which are apparently played out in a fast paced manner, while sitting across from your opponent whom you're screaming at, freaking out with, and punching while drinking beer with them.

The only real thing I learned about it as a PC game was:
1. Muddy graphics cause it to be hard to see doors, something none of the images posted with the review showed.
2. You can lose a mission you've really won due to game glitches. What glitch? I don't know. He mentions walking through walls and genestealers showing alive when they are not, kinda, but I'm not sure if either was the cause of a loss or not.
3. You cannot turn off the animation, and have to sit through them. This I can see being somewhat valid as a complaint, if they are long, and how that could be annoying after several turns.
4. There's an undo button, which he hates. As you can chose not to use the button, not sure the ire exhibited on this one.
5. You can see the number of genestealers around you when you play multiplayer on one machine, but not over the internet. This I can also see as somewhat valid, however if you're both on the same machine, unless you totally avoid watching your opponent taking their turn I don't see how you could miss where they are and how many there are anyway. Granted, I haven't played the game so I don't have any first hand experience there.

Anywho, based on the review I'm not quite sure if it's a good PC game or not, only that it is based on a tabletop game and that you cannot play it exactly like you would the tabletop game, which apparently makes it bad.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Shadowrun Returns Jul 28, 2013, 01:41 .Drifter

Julio wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 20:05:
Nobody's missing out, it will go cheap on a Steam sale at some point. If you didn't buy in at $15, makes little sense to pay over $30 now. Wait for the 75% off sale...
Over 30.00?
I show it as 19.99 . . . well, unless you're talking about the Deluxe Edition.
And man, are the steam forums full of pure HATE for this game. Jeez.

News Comments > New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced
42. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 21, 2013, 00:50 .Drifter

PHJF wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 23:49:
As far as Borderlands 2 I'm less concerned with the number of DLCs than the wildly disparate quality among them.

This deserves an AMEN.

News Comments > New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced
33. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 20, 2013, 22:45 .Drifter

ItBurn wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 21:04:
The thing with politicians is that you never agree to all they say. You always have to pick the lesser evil. And you can absolutely complain about the things he does. Also, it's an image, it wasn't meant to be a perfect representation of the problem in every way... You can absolutely complain about the season pass even if you bought it. Gearbox will probably not give a f*** about your complaining, since you voted with your wallet, but as an individual, you can absolutely say whatever you want, even if it pisses off people in the comments section of a random site on the internet.

Would I be right to surmise that you consider a season to be a full year, say January to December, and because the "Season Pass" had content come out this year, and they recently announced that more would be coming this year, you consider that to be within the same season due to it being in the same year?
Because if that is your logic . . . then you're not due any content past Scarlet and Torque, since they came out last year/last season, and Hammerlock and Tina came out this year, or this season.
I would guess, too, that the Superbowl for Football (American version) starts a new season rather than ends one, since it's in a new year.
That logic could also be used to argue that nearly every TV show ever made only had one season, due to the fact that even though a traditional television season was fall of one year to spring the next (almost how the Borderlands 2 DLC was released as a "Season Pass" surprisingly enough), since the new season starts during the same year the prior one ends, you could argue that the season never really ends, just goes from year to year.
And, if you wanted to take Season Pass to the ultimate extreme . . . based on when it was released, in the Fall, only content coming out in the Fall would be applicable.
Personally, my take on the whole Season Pass, from it's inception, was that it would be like a season of Television, consisting of a fixed number of "episodes" that, when completed, would end the season. And that's exactly how they released it, plus a little extra.

News Comments > Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback
43. Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 23:37 .Drifter

zombiefan wrote on May 29, 2013, 11:07:
....AND...nobody cares.

3 pages of comments seem to argue otherwise.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
61. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 01:22 .Drifter

Quinn wrote on May 26, 2013, 19:45:
Dust...
Reus...

There's so much enthusiasm around all these 2D games coming from PC gamers. This is surprising to me, because I always thought one of the main differences between console gamers and PC gamers were that the first play games for some mindless entertainment, while the latter play games for immersion.

In a way, I find said enthusiasm... concerning? Concerning because who knows.. maybe a few years from now the PC is the platform for arcade-y.. 'indie' games.. and it's the consoles you have to go to for stuff like Metro, Deus Ex, Van Helsing.

I must be over-reacting here. But still I don't really get how a PC community can get so excited about these side-scrollers.

The first computer I ever owned was a Commodore. C128 to be exact.
Most of the games I played on it?
2D side scrollers with paralax (wow!) background movement, along with a boat load of top down games.

Psygnosis made quite a few side scrollers for home computers way back in the day, in fact, so if anything PC is getting back to it's roots in my opinion.

Ah, what I wouldn't give for another last ninja game. Or an updated version of the originals.
At least I can listen to the rock versions of their soundtracks on youtube when I want.

News Comments > Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for PCs
30. Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for PCs May 17, 2013, 22:14 .Drifter

When getting Vengeance once just isn't enough . . . get it again! Redo your vengeance!
Get . . . Re-Vengeance!

News Comments > Bethesda Game Vulnerability
38. Re: Bethesda Game Vulnerability May 14, 2013, 02:10 .Drifter

jacobvandy wrote on May 13, 2013, 06:23:
And since when does having creative input mean you mandate the use of your old, dated, sub-optimal for even an offline and loading screen-heavy open world game engine? Your assumption remains baseless.

He who pays the bills makes the rules, and Zenimax is the parent company of both Bethesda and Zenimax Online, so if they were to say "do this" I'm pretty sure the answer from the TS:O developers would be Yes.

That being said, what assumption remains baseless?
As far as I can tell, I've assumed nothing. Only pointed out that their previous All New Engine was anything but, so the one for TS:O might not be an All New Engine either.
If you're assuming that I'm assuming the game engine will be based on Gamebryo . . . I'm not.
Would that then make your assumption baseless?
All your base are belong to us . . .

30. Re: Bethesda Game Vulnerability May 13, 2013, 01:44 .Drifter

Cutter wrote on May 12, 2013, 22:47:
jacobvandy wrote on May 12, 2013, 22:43:
The problem with your theory is... BETHESDA IS NOT MAKING TES ONLINE.

Yes, but everything happens with their oversight and blessing or rejection.

This.

27. Re: Bethesda Game Vulnerability May 12, 2013, 22:34 .Drifter

jacobvandy wrote on May 12, 2013, 22:04:
.net_Drifter wrote on May 12, 2013, 21:55:
Given past behavior and information concerning their previous "new engine", is it too far fetched to think they might not still use Gamebryo as part of the basic foundation of the current "new engine?"

Not really... These are totally different developers. It is the same amount of fetched to presume they're using the id Tech 5 engine as the basis for TES:O, because that's another engine used by one of the parent company's studios.

P.S. You don't need an article to tell you that the Creation Engine isn't new. Everything feels the same as Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc.

Ah, but how many recent games of The Elder Scrolls lineage have used id Tech 5?
And how many have used a version of Gambryo?
Precedent.

In any case, the point in linking the article was not to say the Creation engine wasn't new, something everyone already knows, but just to show that the "new engine" they used before was just an old car, with a Pimp my Ride style makeover, so what's to say the new engine won't be the same way?
Whatever the new engine is, I hope it's not a New Engine based on the Hero one used in SWTOR, since that version of it at least sucks.

24. Re: Bethesda Game Vulnerability May 12, 2013, 21:55 .Drifter

Jerykk wrote on May 12, 2013, 18:10:
This seems really dumb. The ES games are all single-player and the only thing the "exploit" does it make the game crash. Also, ESO uses a completely different engine than the other Bethesda games.

Didn't Bethesda say though, at one point, that the Skyrim engine was totally new too?
Oh yeah . . .
Story on PC Gamer

And a nice article semi refuting it, somewhat:
Is creation gamebryo?

Given past behavior and information concerning their previous "new engine", is it too far fetched to think they might not still use Gamebryo as part of the basic foundation of the current "new engine?"

News Comments > Defiance Renewed
28. Re: Defiance Renewed May 11, 2013, 04:43 .Drifter

RaZ0r! wrote on May 11, 2013, 03:54:
I'm still mad Firefly was cancelled.

You know, I watched the movie and liked it. Not the greatest thing I've ever seen, but nowhere near bad. I saw maybe 2, 3 episodes of the show and it was also pretty good, but not great, so I just do not get the extreme love people have for Firefly.
I read somewhere it was due to it being a "cowboys in space" type thing, which had never been done before, or something like that.
The cowboys in space theme is old. Battle beyond the stars, there was a space cowboy NAMED space cowboy. Then lets turn to anime. Galaxy Express had a bit of a space western theme in it in places.
Hell, even old scifi books. I seem to remember one called Santiago, vaguely, that was kind of cowboys in space in terms of theme.
As for the characters in it, I've either read or watched something that had someone just about like them in terms of personality or characterization, so I don't really see what was all that new here.
Another show I don't really get the love for was Stargate. Well, all Stargate series for that matter. I liked the movie, would have liked to see a sequel, but the series, none of them could I get in to.

News Comments > Defiance Renewed
9. Re: Defiance Renewed May 10, 2013, 19:59 .Drifter

dj LiTh wrote on May 10, 2013, 19:24:
LOL just wow! I've forced myself to watch a few episodes hoping it might get better or plug the major plot holes or try to do something....hell ANYTHING that resembles actual science fiction. Nope not so far. Thats it for me, even morons need shows i guess.

BTW Why has this pure filth got picked up for a 2nd season yet BSG Blood and Chrome didnt get the green light for a 1st season after those excellent webisodes?

Personally, I liked the first 3 seasons of BSG but didn't really care for the last season. In fact, over time I've come to feel as though the last season was crap. If I had to compare it to a meal, it would be like getting a tasty multi course meal, and then being served a shit sandwich for desert. With that kind of bad taste in my mouth, I've pretty much avoided anything BSG related since, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

News Comments > Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts
16. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 01:51 .Drifter

SlimRam wrote on May 2, 2013, 21:00:
I have not seen the show or played the game but I have been interested in both. I have been wondering if either or both would be worth trying.

After reading the comments on Blue's about the game and such, I think I have my answer...

...and that would be no...

To be fair, some on Blues seem to hate certain game types or game models out of principle, so I'd never take anything as though it were a WORD OF GOD type thing. Show's free, if you have cable, and it can be streamed from the website, so might as well give it a shot. If you don't like it after a few minutes, all you've lost is a little of your time. As for the game . . . at 60 bucks, no. 10.00 or maybe 20.00, if you like Borderlands . . . possibly. I've played it, and while it's not the worst game I've ever played, I've certainly played better. Third person borderlands is a reasonably close comparison, without the cartoony look, a bit of pop up, and some possibly worse textures in places.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon May 1, 2013, 00:54 .Drifter

Gib007 wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 20:05:
It looks interesting and I would buy it. I loved Far Cry 3 - played it through three times over. Unfortunately I can't find where to buy it. I have the retail version of Far Cry 3 and it runs through Uplay. Blood Dragon isn't listed on Uplay Store though and it's not available on retail so I'm at a loss...

When I load up uPlay, click Store, select Brand, and go to Far Cry it shows Blood Dragon for me. Also comes up if I search Far Cry or Blood Dragon. Bought it there, uPlay, since I figured I'd have to load it up to play no matter where I bought it . . .
Anywho, could be restricted to certain countries, who knows.

News Comments > EVE Online TV and Comic Plans; $149.99 CE
10. Re: EVE Online TV and Comic Plans; $149.99 CE Apr 28, 2013, 21:28 .Drifter

Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 17:11:
BadIronTree wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 16:06:
LoL do you know any other MMO that 10 years after it came out is still getting BIGGER with more and more subscribers ?
from 350k it went to HALF a million now...

YES is a niche market but the people playing are hard core...

EvE is not for 10 year old COD kids

Says who? CCP? Yeah, because they've never lied or cheated before. I'd be amazed if they even had an actual 50k persistent subscribers. And no, it's not for 10 year old COD kids. It's for 10 year old griefers who think the height of entertainment is trying to ruin everyone elses fun. When these comics fail to move and this TV show gets canceled after its failed pilot you'll see.

As long as it takes to learn some of the better skills, real time, I doubt many 10 year olds with OCD could stand the wait needed to have the skills to get a ship to do any real griefing in.

News Comments > Team Bondi Closed?
15. Re: Team Bondi Closed? Apr 18, 2013, 19:45 .Drifter

Prez wrote on Apr 18, 2013, 16:57:
In today's hypersensitive gaming industry, where habitually offended white knighters are constantly opining for attention and trying to score points for their faux nobility no one in their right minds is going to fund a game with "whore" in the title. John Walker might get apoplectic and fall out (Which would be just swell in my book).

To be fair, I cannot think of one game from the 70's or 80's (which were times when politically correct meant voting for the right political party for your region of the U.S.) that had Whore in the title.

News Comments > No One Knows Who Owns NOLF
25. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 17:55 .Drifter

Pretty sure there already was a third NOLF game, of sorts.
Did you play as one of the bad guys or something?

467 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo