Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname .Drifter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 20, 2001, 09:41
Total Comments 459 (Amateur)
User ID 8752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
111. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 01:50 .Drifter

My sympathies also for your loss.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
36. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 22, 2013, 23:29 .Drifter

[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 23:07:
BTW if anyone wanted 3d glasses we would ask.

3D glasses, please and thanks!

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins
25. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins Nov 20, 2013, 16:55 .Drifter

Undocumented Alien wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 16:34:
vote for Grim Dawn 2014, for your ARPG fix!

I purchased Early Access to Grim Dawn via STEAM and have played for a bit and provided feedback for Crate. It's a good aRPG and has a TON of potential. It will also supporting modding which will give it a lot of life. Imagine if D3 was moddable...

I will say, D3 has spoiled me with it's combat "action", the recently released and upcoming aRPG's don't seem to be as fluid with combat as D3 is so far (even Grim Dawn).

I can agree with this, lol. So far, I like Grim Dawn more than D3 to be honest, but it just feels a bit clunky, mostly in the UI not the controls. Skill trees so far seem a bit sparse, too, compared to some games I've played. Still, the setting and story have kept me interested so far, and the way you can bust out a personal portal to town from anywhere, sell loot, and go right back to where you created the portal and grab the rest of the loot? Genius!

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins
18. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins Nov 20, 2013, 15:03 .Drifter

Played Diablo III, never once used the auction house. Granted, never played it on the hardest level either, but personally it was like the auction house didn't even exist to me, wasn't a factor.
Constantly online was, as even to this day there's stutter and random lag that most other online games I play never have.

As an aside, Path of Exile seems to require you constantly be online too, unless I'm missing something. Haven't seen nearly the ire over that, as it was with D3.
It also seems that, other than the basic attack you start with, all other attacks/spells must be acquired as gems you have to slot in your equipment. Granted, I've only tried 3 characters and haven't leveled very far, but I'm not really seeing (so far) the need to have different classes when all attacks seem to come from found gems. That might change further down the line, I don't know though. In any case, PoE isn't grabbing me any more than D3 did, and I was expecting it to bases on all the "it's brilliant!" feedback I've been reading on it. The graphics I do like more than D3's so far.

News Comments > X Rebirth & Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Preloads
26. Re: X Rebirth & Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 14, 2013, 01:48 .Drifter

Well, for Gamefly I've tried both the 20% off and 25% off coupon I have access to.
Neither work.
"Sorry, coupon code could not be applied to any of the items in your cart."
That's the issue.
Been over 24hrs for a support request, and so far all I've received are two automated "we'll get to you within 24 hours, due to higher than expected number of support request" emails.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within
40. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 20:51 .Drifter

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 18:49:
Will W wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:00:
Damn, missed that 25% off X Rebirth code. That's what I was waiting for on a purchase....guess I'll have to wait for the next one.

http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-x-rebirth/5006750
Code: GFDNOV20

Code doesn't seem to work, price still 49.99 after applying the code.

News Comments > Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained
48. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 00:46 .Drifter

I see comments talking about how this hurts crowd funding.
Seeing as how the game was not crowd funded, and the Kickstarter failed miserably, not sure where the crowd funding comes into play. I mean, it's not like anyone can say "I funded it and it's crap, and I was ripped off." Unless, of course, in people minds they see it as Kickstarted when it wasn't, just because it was on Kickstarter.

News Comments > New Riddick Game Plans
8. Re: New Riddick Game Plans Sep 11, 2013, 04:01 .Drifter

I could see this working as an online game, with mercs.
Go into an online lobby, like a bar or some other dive, where missions are posted, assemble a team or instead choose to go solo, then start the mission. Once the mission begins, though . . .
If they were set pieces, like chapters in a game, I could see one person, or a group of people, being the Riddick type characters, trying to escape from the mercs, by running, hiding, and making deals with the locals to get what they need to escape the area, or stalking the mercs to take them out.
If the instance isn't closed, new mercs could jump in and try to beat your team to the prey, or take your team out, while the ones running from you could do favors to NPC's to have them misdirect the mercs coming after them, or set the merc(s) up to take each other out.
Yeah, that would be a LOT of work to get that set up, but the potential for fun if it were done and done right, wow.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 9, 2013, 00:27 .Drifter

nin wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 11:47:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 09:49:
Week 3 no Skyrim. The world is a darker place....

Indeed. Payday still seems to be raking it in, which is nice.

Think I've finally decided I like SR3 better than 4. Both are good/fun, but some of the magic seems to have gotten lost along the way.

I had more fun with SR 4 than SR 3, mainly due to the superpowers, and while I'm satisfied with it, I agree something was lost. I think the superpowers pretty much rendered some of the activities irrelevant that, in SR 3, were fun and had a purpose, such as collecting cars. I had a great time hunting down and collecting them in SR 3, but in SR 4? No need, once you got superspeed. No need for helicopters or planes once you got glide leveled up a bit. Heck, I didn't even use half the weapons since I didn't need to. Missions seemed a bit stinted too, in that first you're doing full rescue sequences, then BAM suddenly everyone is just showing up on your ship after the first part. Overall, it felt more like a padded mod than a sequel.
That being said, it was still one of the most satisfying games I've played this year. The ending, though . . .

News Comments > Wangtastic Shadow Warrior Trailer
14. Re: Wangtastic Shadow Warrior Trailer Sep 7, 2013, 21:13 .Drifter

siapnar wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 14:46:
Yep I wasn't huge on Hard Reset.

Ah, SiN... that takes me back. I loved how Blade talked shit the whole time

SiN, now THAT's a game I'd like to see a sequel kickstarted for. Probably wouldn't make funding though, but I really hate how they started Episodes and just closed up shop, never getting to finish it.

News Comments > Mighty No. 9 Kickstarted
5. Re: Mighty No. 9 Kickstarted Sep 4, 2013, 01:25 .Drifter

ViRGE wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 01:10:
Dev wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 00:37:
ViRGE wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 23:28:
nin wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 20:58:
I'm still a little surprised (yet excited) it's doing so well...two stretch goals are already down, and it's still trucking along.
It'll slow down after $1.5M as the initial campaign pop wanes, but I fully expect they'll hit $2.5M (or more) by the end.
I dunno, they haven't added physical copies yet which a lot of people are begging for in the comments (people are offering to pay $75 and up for one).
Eh? There is a physical tier; it starts at $60.

You get an empty box with only a manual, no game. Game's digital only.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 01:26 .Drifter

Parias wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 22:20:
Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 21:11:
Not really related to the topic, but when I hear anything about this game I can't help but remember how excited I was when they released that incredible video some years back. And then how utterly deflated I felt when it was later announced that it was going to be a F2P multiplayer game.

Are you thinking of this one? Me too =\

Awesome video, I miss the game it could have represented.
Side note: I hate Youtube's forced advertisement videos.

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers
23. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 3, 2013, 01:20 .Drifter

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 20:22:
walrus1 wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 19:38:
GASP! Why your right! That is the very definition of fraud! Go you with all that copying and pasting! But how is this case fraud? Do you and evidence they won't be able to deliver this game?

"These guys have been funded by private equity, but it's clear it was going to take many millions of dollars more," Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford said.

Do you have some particular problem comprehending what that means? They said they needed X amount of dollars, reality is they need a lot more. That's textbook fraud. Is that rocket surgery for you? I really don't understand how it can be anymore clear than that. Deceiving people for personal gain is fraud. Understand?

"going to take many millions of dollars more" . . . for what?
That, in the article, is never truly specified, at least not from my reading of it.
Millions more to make the game they were advertising?
Millions more to make a game equal to Homeworld's high standards?
Make it into a Homeworld game, by buying the IP? (It is mentioned they bid against, and lost to, Gearbox in the article, and that they are now expanding the team to turn it into a Homeworld game)

Without knowing exactly what they needed the millions more for, you can't say with 100% certainty that it's fraud.
Throw in the fact it's Randy Pitchford who's talking here, a man known for exaggeration, I don't know I'd take anything he said at face value. Heck, if he lent a friend 100 bucks to help buy a new set of tires, by the time he told someone about it he'd have given him "thousands for the repairs to his car."

Throw in this little quote:
"Hardware, in all respects, was Homeworld," Cunningham told Polygon today. "It looked, sounded and felt the same, but we wanted to take that style and experience further. When [Gearbox] acquired the property, it coincided with when we needed to find a partner."

And with this, my take on the matter was that the "millions of dollars more" was what they would need to take it beyond what they were advertising so far, and expand upon what they had, maybe even into a space based portion similar to Homeworld like someone else mentioned. They would be able to deliver what was promised, with what they had, but they wanted to do more so they wanted a partner. Somewhat akin to a stretch goal for a Kickstarter, if you will, with the stretch goal reached only via a partners contribution.

News Comments > WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay
11. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 06:38 .Drifter

Harrowing wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 04:35:
OldTimber wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 02:11:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 20:51:
The have balls coming out with a pay to play game.
Yes why pay for something to further development and additions to it. I'm all for p2p games as it keeps the asshats out of them.

Because you seem like a really nice fellow and I can't wait to play games with you.

To be fair, in most of the p2p games I've played that have converted to f2p, zone/area chats have gone massively downhill.
Like, going from conversations about the game or other somewhat content related stuff, to pure idiocy.
Well, with the exception of WoW. That game always had idiocy in chat.

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Aug 17, 2013, 01:22 .Drifter

I've read the Space Hulk review twice now, and personally I think it's a pretty shitty review.
He spends the entire review saying what the game isn't, and what it isn't is apparently a tabletop game where you physically roll dice for your turns, which are apparently played out in a fast paced manner, while sitting across from your opponent whom you're screaming at, freaking out with, and punching while drinking beer with them.

The only real thing I learned about it as a PC game was:
1. Muddy graphics cause it to be hard to see doors, something none of the images posted with the review showed.
2. You can lose a mission you've really won due to game glitches. What glitch? I don't know. He mentions walking through walls and genestealers showing alive when they are not, kinda, but I'm not sure if either was the cause of a loss or not.
3. You cannot turn off the animation, and have to sit through them. This I can see being somewhat valid as a complaint, if they are long, and how that could be annoying after several turns.
4. There's an undo button, which he hates. As you can chose not to use the button, not sure the ire exhibited on this one.
5. You can see the number of genestealers around you when you play multiplayer on one machine, but not over the internet. This I can also see as somewhat valid, however if you're both on the same machine, unless you totally avoid watching your opponent taking their turn I don't see how you could miss where they are and how many there are anyway. Granted, I haven't played the game so I don't have any first hand experience there.

Anywho, based on the review I'm not quite sure if it's a good PC game or not, only that it is based on a tabletop game and that you cannot play it exactly like you would the tabletop game, which apparently makes it bad.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Shadowrun Returns Jul 28, 2013, 01:41 .Drifter

Julio wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 20:05:
Nobody's missing out, it will go cheap on a Steam sale at some point. If you didn't buy in at $15, makes little sense to pay over $30 now. Wait for the 75% off sale...
Over 30.00?
I show it as 19.99 . . . well, unless you're talking about the Deluxe Edition.
And man, are the steam forums full of pure HATE for this game. Jeez.

News Comments > New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced
42. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 21, 2013, 00:50 .Drifter

PHJF wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 23:49:
As far as Borderlands 2 I'm less concerned with the number of DLCs than the wildly disparate quality among them.

This deserves an AMEN.

News Comments > New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced
33. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 20, 2013, 22:45 .Drifter

ItBurn wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 21:04:
The thing with politicians is that you never agree to all they say. You always have to pick the lesser evil. And you can absolutely complain about the things he does. Also, it's an image, it wasn't meant to be a perfect representation of the problem in every way... You can absolutely complain about the season pass even if you bought it. Gearbox will probably not give a f*** about your complaining, since you voted with your wallet, but as an individual, you can absolutely say whatever you want, even if it pisses off people in the comments section of a random site on the internet.

Would I be right to surmise that you consider a season to be a full year, say January to December, and because the "Season Pass" had content come out this year, and they recently announced that more would be coming this year, you consider that to be within the same season due to it being in the same year?
Because if that is your logic . . . then you're not due any content past Scarlet and Torque, since they came out last year/last season, and Hammerlock and Tina came out this year, or this season.
I would guess, too, that the Superbowl for Football (American version) starts a new season rather than ends one, since it's in a new year.
That logic could also be used to argue that nearly every TV show ever made only had one season, due to the fact that even though a traditional television season was fall of one year to spring the next (almost how the Borderlands 2 DLC was released as a "Season Pass" surprisingly enough), since the new season starts during the same year the prior one ends, you could argue that the season never really ends, just goes from year to year.
And, if you wanted to take Season Pass to the ultimate extreme . . . based on when it was released, in the Fall, only content coming out in the Fall would be applicable.
Personally, my take on the whole Season Pass, from it's inception, was that it would be like a season of Television, consisting of a fixed number of "episodes" that, when completed, would end the season. And that's exactly how they released it, plus a little extra.

News Comments > Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback
43. Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 23:37 .Drifter

zombiefan wrote on May 29, 2013, 11:07:
....AND...nobody cares.

3 pages of comments seem to argue otherwise.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
61. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 01:22 .Drifter

Quinn wrote on May 26, 2013, 19:45:
Dust...
Reus...

There's so much enthusiasm around all these 2D games coming from PC gamers. This is surprising to me, because I always thought one of the main differences between console gamers and PC gamers were that the first play games for some mindless entertainment, while the latter play games for immersion.

In a way, I find said enthusiasm... concerning? Concerning because who knows.. maybe a few years from now the PC is the platform for arcade-y.. 'indie' games.. and it's the consoles you have to go to for stuff like Metro, Deus Ex, Van Helsing.

I must be over-reacting here. But still I don't really get how a PC community can get so excited about these side-scrollers.

The first computer I ever owned was a Commodore. C128 to be exact.
Most of the games I played on it?
2D side scrollers with paralax (wow!) background movement, along with a boat load of top down games.

Psygnosis made quite a few side scrollers for home computers way back in the day, in fact, so if anything PC is getting back to it's roots in my opinion.

Ah, what I wouldn't give for another last ninja game. Or an updated version of the originals.
At least I can listen to the rock versions of their soundtracks on youtube when I want.

459 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo