Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname .Drifter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 20, 2001, 09:41
Total Comments 447 (Amateur)
User ID 8752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X-Men: The Official Game
8. Re: The official game? May 17, 2006, 04:42 .Drifter

Something I've been curious about, seeing as how the Xbox 360 and PS3 have HDTV level graphics, will this mean better looking PC ports?
I mean, the biggest complaints I've read about PC ports were:
1. Crappy, console level textures
2. Crappy, console level graphic and model detail

So, considering the games will have to look better due to being on HDTV's, will the PC ports actually start to resemble PC games? If so, and if the price stays 20 to 30 bucks cheaper than console (for some titles at least) I'm all for that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gold - Rogue Trooper
5. Re: No subject May 17, 2006, 01:04 .Drifter

Heck, I beat Rogue Trooper around 8 years ago. On my Amiga. With the game being a British import.

News Comments > Steam Update
13. Re: No subject May 7, 2006, 01:14 .Drifter

But why learn to do something when it's so much more fun to complain about it?

News Comments > Eragon Announced
21. Re: Hollywood Band Wagon Apr 19, 2006, 03:04 .Drifter

Personally, I'd rather see the magic kingdom of landover books turned into a movie before any ot the shannara books. Magic Kingdom: For Sale/Sold. Man, I'd love to see that one.

News Comments > SiN Episodes Times Nine
26. Re: The personal challenge system is a b Apr 6, 2006, 02:10 .Drifter

While detailed stats tracking is a good thing, the "personal challenge system" is an awful idea. With static skill/difficulty levels truely accurate comparisons between different players are possible. Two players who complete the same game on the same difficulty level will have accomplished the same goal. However, if the difficulty of the game varies during the game based upon the gameplay on the player as this "personal challenge system" is described, then it is impossible for players to accurately compare themselves and their accomplishments in the game to one another because the gameplay experience was not the uniform due to the varying difficulty levels. The difficulty of a single-player game should be set at a fixed, defined level so that the player will know what he accomplished when he completes the game.

Ahem, directly from Ritualistic, the main fan site...

Of note in the video is Levelord explaining that the oft-mentioned Dynamic Difficulty System can be manually overridden by the player by the use of two sliders in the game options. One manually adjusts the difficulty while the other adjusts the threshold where the system will kick in and alter the difficulty based on your performance.

Also, I'm guessing that skill/challenge level is going to be a way to measure yourself agains others also.
This comment was edited on Apr 6, 02:15.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
1. Shawn? Apr 3, 2006, 23:56 .Drifter

the man behind Shawn of the Dead: "I'm

Uh, shouldn't that be Shaun?

News Comments > Tomb Raider: Legend Demo
15. Re: No subject Apr 1, 2006, 02:27 .Drifter

Well, seeing as how this was by the guys and gals who made the LoK series, I was expecting something good.
Now they just need to start on the next Kain game, lol.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 02:28.

News Comments > SiN Episodes: Emergence Delayed
11. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2006, 02:17 .Drifter

SiN (almost a decade ago.) Blair Witch. Heavy Metal. Star Trek. The shittier version of CS:CZ.

Well, there were several games they helped out on, but didn't program. Such as Legacy of Kain: Defiance.

The Kain series, that's a game I wish would get another sequel.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
4. Re: Game profiles broken Mar 17, 2006, 20:43 .Drifter

Or, as in the case of WoW (where trilinear filtering and aniso breaks every 30 minutes or so and the gameworld gets set to lowest settings) you can set trilinear filtering always on, and aniso to 8 or 16. And it STAYS set, unlike the game settings, which for me broke with patch 1.5 I think it was.

News Comments > NFS: Most Wanted Support Crashes
13. Re: No subject Mar 16, 2006, 02:15 .Drifter

Just out of curiosity, aren't these comments an indication that there is a known issue with the product? That, in fact, it is a defective product? With their refusal to fix it, too bad it's not grounds for a law suit.
Anyways, saying you couldn't do more is bull, especially when it comes to patching. Heck, Ritual patches SiN for years after that game was out, after the bug fixes it was to add in CTF and an ingame server browser, among other tweaks. At their own time and expense. So to say you can't patch a game because you can't 'do more' is a load of crap.

News Comments > X3 Demo Hotfix
18. Re: No subject Mar 12, 2006, 00:27 .Drifter

Well, Galactic Civilizations II shipped without Starforce, or any other copy protection. And yes, I did buy it. From walmart actually, special edition too.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dungeons & Dragons Online
26. Re: Smooth lanch? Mar 1, 2006, 01:12 .Drifter

Reguarding free content, I think City of Heroes was the first to push free content on a regular basis, and other games most noteable World of Warcraft, has used this to really push the free content type stuff alot farther, but then again WoW pretty much owns the entire Asian Market heh.

Nope, Asherons Call has been pushing monthly content nearly every month since it was released, with story updates, events, and new quest/items. I played the game for around 3 years, and in that time I only remember one month that didn't have any update.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - RF Online
17. Re: No subject Feb 23, 2006, 01:17 .Drifter

Uh, you right clicked on the hotbar to activate items, didn't need to use only function keys. Not defending the game, just saying.
Major issue for me was chat panel. Sucked rotten eggs.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - RF Online
7. Re: No subject Feb 22, 2006, 02:04 .Drifter

A LOT of bugs were left in the last days of beta, ones that were supposed to be corrected before end of beta but were not, and yet they suddenly WILL be corrected in retail.
Anyways, I honestly don't think Codemasters will have to do much to the game, overall, other than translate it into english and adjust drop/damage rates, at least from what I've read in their forums. All patching apparently comes from the Korean parent company, with translation and tweaking being all that codemasters is supposed to do. If I read what I read right.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Command & Conquer: The First Decade
26. Re: Developers get old & stupid Feb 7, 2006, 22:03 .Drifter

Wasn't Einstein a bit older when he came up with E=mc2?

News Comments > Gold - Star Wars: Empire at War
42. Re: Star Wars: EaW Feb 4, 2006, 04:41 .Drifter

Setting the game to 2000 compatibility mode nearly doubles the time it runs smoothly.
As for the game, I drop all my units at the begining, maybe 1 or 2 more reinforcement drops during the entire land attack sequence. The entire time I'm playing, I'm taking out Empire units, so less units to draw onscreen, I don't add any new units usually, so no increased graphics load. Seeing as how there are less units in total the longer the game goes on, meaning less graphics and less AI computing, I'd think the game would run better, or at least the same.
Anyways, I think I've narrowed the issue down to missles. The more missles I fire, the worse the game runs. The longer I hold off firing any missles, the longer the game runs smoothly. Possible memory leak related to the total number of missles fired maybe?
Meaning, if I go hog wild and fire missles nearly nonstop for the entire time I'm playing, the game slows down faster, even after I've stopped firing the missles. If I use only tanks, no missles, the game seems to keep running fine.
This comment was edited on Feb 4, 04:44.

38. Re: Star Wars: EaW Feb 3, 2006, 06:02 .Drifter

I don't necessarily know that an x700 would be considered an upgrade to a 6800GT...
Anyways, like I said, runs well for 10 minutes, then performance hits the crapper. I can time it to within about 20 seconds of when performance will hit a nosedive.

36. Re: Star Wars: EaW Feb 3, 2006, 01:25 .Drifter

I won't be buying it. Graphics were good enough, space battles were fun enough, but land battles killed it for me. They run like crap on my computer. For the first 10 minutes, no matter how many units I have, or the enemy has, in total on the map or onscreen both, the game runs smooth. Then, after 10 minutes, the performance drops like a rock. Music still plays smoothly, the mouse keeps moving smoothly, but the game freezes for seconds at a time at first. This slowly gets worse until it freezes for up to a minute at a time, with only a few seconds of smooth gameplay between freezes. I have tried turning the graphic settings down as far as they'll go, even changing sound settings, no change at all in performance. And I'd think that with a 2.53Ghz CPU, 1GB ram, and a 6800GT video card (all latest drivers) the game should run a lot better than it does.

Oh, as for the land battle, easy as pie. After taking out the space station, which shouldn't be much trouble, destroy all but one Y wing fleet and make mostly Artillery units and a few Tank units, skip the infantry and rocket launcher squads. Place the Y wing in orbit to enable bombing run (I couldn't get it to work without at least one unit) and then land the ground units. Pause the game, send all the native units to the right capture point to take it, then land the atrillery. Run them to the right capture point, and after taking it land a few more artillery if you can. Then just place them near the shield by the generator. After the first infantry attacks you, they go into autofire through the edge of the shield and blow up the generator. No shields. Then, just bombing run the crap out of the base, rush in the artillery, and finish them off.

News Comments > CoV/CoH Pricing
18. Re: Hmm pass Oct 7, 2005, 02:31 .Drifter

Game was fun for me at first, you really felt like a Hero. Then they started tweaking the game, and it started going downhill. Developers aren't too honest with you either at times. They'll swear up and down a power wasn't stealth nerfed, even when extensive player testing proves it was. And finally, when they do admit it, it was just 'oops, we left a patch note out.'
As for CoV, well, lets just say that they swapped the primary and secondaries for most classes, then rearranged the powers between a few others, tossed in a few new powers, and viola, CoV villian classes were born.

News Comments > Battle.Net Teaser
31. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2005, 02:15 .Drifter

Well, they are planing to make an announcement for a Starcraft related game this fall, maybe winter. And it's not Ghost.

447 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo