Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname .Drifter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 20, 2001, 09:41
Total Comments 467 (Amateur)
User ID 8752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Triton Closes - Prey for a Solution
83. Re: Aha! Oct 9, 2006, 00:13 .Drifter

Yes, I read it, and yes, I saw where the drives were in storage. So, if they're in storage and the computer does not have one installed, none of the disks for that drive can be used on your computer. The same effect you would have with a CD-ROM that required, say, Starforce authentication and no CD/DVD ROM drive to use it with, so it could not be loaded and used on the computer. Which would be the same with a Steam game if Steam disappeared. You'd have a piece of software that required authentication, and no way to authenticate it.
Which I thought I was saying in my post. If the hardware is gone, the game cannot be authenticated. If Steam is gone, it's games cannot be authenticated. If not authenticated, they cannot be run, same for both Steam and a drive based game.

As for the comment about copying from 5.25 to 3.5 disks, what? I was commenting about the disk not working with the drive (wrong size and wouldn't fit) and I did not say the format was unusable. As long as you have the drive, you can use the disk, which is what I've said and agreed with. Although, with most CD/DVD software being copy protected nowadays I don't know of many that can be copied disc to disc directly as you could with floppy disks.
Oh, and if you lost the code wheel or the manual, you couldn't play the game. Authentication system gone, can't play. Same as if Steam were gone, can't authenticate can't play.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

80. Re: Aha! Oct 8, 2006, 22:36 .Drifter

Even though it is a moot point, yes, I do have about a dozen 360K and 1.2MB floppy drives in storage

By this comment, am I to assume that you have the disks but not the drive? Meaning you couldn't play them?

But that is a specious argument because the disc-based copy-protection systems used in PC games up until now have been mostly if not completely compatible with newer hardware.

Didn't answer the question. I was talking in regards to a change in storage format, you did an end run around the question and responded by saying how it would work as long as the hardware was around and working.
Which, by the way, is just like how online authentication works as long as the service is supported.
Anyways, formats change, people stop making the hardware, and eventually you won't be able to use the software because the authentication system can't be used without the correct hardware. 5.25 disks going to 3.5 disk to CD-ROM to DVD-ROM. Just as a 5.25 disk could not work in a 3.5 drive, there's no guarantee that future drive formats will still support CD or DVD storage. It's all good and well to say that as long as the hardware works the game can be used, but eventually hardware breaks down, and it will be hard if not impossible to replace that hardware to use the software that REQUIRES that certain drive type to load. Just the same as if an online Steam service went out of business.

51. Re: Digital Distribution Oct 8, 2006, 17:41 .Drifter

I refuse to be for it at all until they lower the price since.

Gonna be a while before online prices are lower than store prices. Why? Instore sales are still greater than online downloads, at least for now. And if you undersell a store through online sales, they (store) will be less likely to stock your software instore which will really eat into total sales. So, until online sales outstrip store sales, no real chance of online prices dropping. Then again, when online sales outdo instore sales, and the online sellers know people will pay the same price as an instore sale, they will have no incentive to lower the price. meh.

47. Re: Aha! Oct 8, 2006, 17:21 .Drifter

Your point is moot. I have games from defunct companies like 3DO, Acclaim, and Interplay that are far less than 20 years old which would not run if they required online authentication or were limited to a few installations as are the games released via Steam, Trygames, and Direct2Drive.

How is the point moot? You never did answer if you still had a 5.25 inch floppy on your computer to play games from 20 years ago.
Ok, bring it up to more modern methods. Say they come out with a HD-DVD (or something similar) drive that is not backward compatible with current DVD or CD drives. Heck, lest say they move all future software to some other storage format, like ROM chips you plug into a slot reader. As most games coming out these days require some kind of CD security check before they run, having a drive or especially a memory card reader that cannot be used with the old CD games, and what do you have? A comparable issue to what you would have if a download company went out. A game you could not run (without cracking it) since the copy you have could not be validated. Which, I think, was the point that was trying to be made, if the format changes and you do not have the drive required to use that format, you still lose out on the chance to run the software.

News Comments > Penny Arcade Game
57. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2006, 23:59 .Drifter

It makes sense because both Oprah and PA are hugely successful in their relative domains. They're successful because they appeal to the largely stupid and unwashed masses. The same masses who have a knee slapping laugh at every Family Guy gag, the same knuckle dragging masses who propelled Friends to the top of the Neilson ratings.

But hey you have nothing to worry about. The PA army is a fearsome juggernauht consisting of both rail thin 90lb men and 300lb obese disafected losers who put in over 80 hours/week in WoW. You can all take solace in knowing you'll never have to deal with icky girls.

I like PA, wasn't gonna respond to this thread until I read this. Now, I don't mind being called a part of the unwashed masses, but as for the rest, that annoyed me.

First off, I hate family guy with a passion. Can't stand the show, it has no humor what so ever. I've seen a few episodes on and off, and it's nothing but a bunch of stupid, unrelated skits connected by an idiotic story, if you want to call it a story. As for friends, I never could understand why anyone would want to watch a show about a bunch of half brain dead yuppyish friends. I never much cared for seinfeld either.
Anyways, call me unwashed all you want, but do not say I like family guy or friends. Now that's an insult.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. He he Aug 19, 2006, 02:44 .Drifter

I find it funny he's calling it a Columbine simulator, having never played the game or even seen it. I mean, if he had, he wouldn't be demanding and suing to see it now, would he?
So, wouldn't calling it a Columbine simulator actually be slandering the company, and an act of defamation, seeing as how he has never tried the game to make this Columbine simulator statement in a fact based sense?
And if there's a public nuisance law he's using in his attempt to get a hold of the game, why in the heck hasn't someone used this public nuisance law to sue Jackie boy?

News Comments > The Cost of SiN
31. Re: No subject Aug 13, 2006, 03:58 .Drifter

That is false.

Actually, your post just proved it is true. Per your post, Valve collects the information, not 3rd parties. They might or might not, let 3rd parties access the information, but it is not the 3rd parties (such as Ritual) that collects the information.

29. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2006, 22:13 .Drifter

per a Ritual employee:
the Steam subscriber agreement prohibits us from collecting information that can be tied to a specific Steam account

They can take the game stats, but not the account they came from, we know that much at least.

27. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2006, 02:13 .Drifter

Second, why wouldn't they just automagically upload the time it took? They are idiots.

Oh, upload stats without the user being able to stop it? But, but, but...
THAT'S SPYING!!! OH NO!!! THEY'RE STEALING MY COMPUTER INFO!!!

17. Re: Was Not Impressed Aug 11, 2006, 01:12 .Drifter

Well they had to lower the price to sell more copies because their game is not very good at all. I expected it to be better.

Gotta love comments like this.
First, several people gripe about how high priced the game was. Now that the price has been cut, like some people asked for, no thanks for the devs for listening, just slams about the price cut being due to a bad game. Ritual did say, at the start, they would gauge response to the first game, and episodic content in general, and use it to base price and content on that response. Which is more than I can say for Valve, at least.

News Comments > WoW Class Crossovers
9. Re: A bit crap, really Jul 21, 2006, 23:12 .Drifter

What I've always wondered are why there are no human druids. Seeing as how human druids would only make sense. Seeing as how they made stonehinge and all.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 23:12.

News Comments > Prey-Loads
33. Re: Sham Jul 3, 2006, 19:35 .Drifter

Something else people seem to be overlooking is that even with digital distribution, in store sells are still a higher percentage of the overall sales. If a publisher were to sell cheaper online, stores would feel ripped off, and if they felt ripped off they would be less likely to sell the next game the publisher/developer put out due to the store price being undercut. Thus, overall sales would drop more than by making store price and online download price the same and having some customers complain.

A silly example would be the old rock group Roxette. Remember them? Several huge hits, main song from pretty woman, etc.
Well, they inked a deal with Burger King to sell almost their whole latest tape at a greatly reduced price, as opposed to full price instore. Stores became so mad they pulled it off shelves and refused to sell it. End result? Roxette is pretty much history. Now, that might not be the only contributing factor, but it's a pretty decent comparison.

News Comments > Darkstar One Demo
40. Re: Same ol Jul 2, 2006, 00:43 .Drifter

Ah, Sentinel Worlds 1: Future Magic.
Man, I LOVED that game. They kind of did a rip off with the characters though. I mean seriously, the sigourney weaver clone, and the arnold clone, lol.
Anyways, I waited years for Sentinel Worlds 2 (and sequels) and never got them.
Only Hard Nova, which seemed to be in the same universe, but wasn't quite as good.
Anyways, didn't Karl Buiter's also make EOS? Loved that one too. Sad that he's no longer making space (added for clarity) games though.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 00:50.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Patch
8. Re: ... Jun 30, 2006, 01:53 .Drifter

Is this the patch that makes people stop asking "Is this the patch that..."

News Comments > Prey Demo
44. Re: No subject Jun 22, 2006, 04:25 .Drifter

Enjoyable demo, had fun playing it.
Now, if only more developers/publishers would do this. Put out a demo before the game that is. Since that's how it's supposed to go, you try the demo, like the game, buy the game, unlike too many other games where they put the demo out well after release.

News Comments > Prey Demo
22. Re: mirror Jun 22, 2006, 01:29 .Drifter

Got if off Fileplanet in about 30 minutes. About to install and try it out, hehe.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2: Episode One
32. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2006, 21:00 .Drifter

Yeah, I agree that the longer = better mentality is wrong. Want proof? Just watch pretty much any Kevin Costner movie, his attitude is longer is better, and tell me afterwards if you still think longer is better.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
18. Re: Okay, but seriously May 24, 2006, 00:28 .Drifter

I'm thinking of picking this up some day when it drops to 20.

Try walmart, I got it there for 19.98 about 2 weeks back.

News Comments > SiN Episodes: Emergence Patch
39. Re: sigh May 18, 2006, 23:57 .Drifter

The pitiful reply of a sucker.
POINT A: You purchased the game & you are defending your purchase. But you are misrepresenting yourself.
POINT B: SiN:Episodes = a total of 9 planned episodes. Translation $180.

SUCKER!!!!!

LOL!

POINT A: (gotta type in all caps to show it's important)
Did I purchase the game? Hmm? Hmm? Where's the receipt?
POINT B: $180 total? Possibly. But they already said they might lower the price on future episodes based on feedback, so unless you have a crystal ball it's a little early to quote final costs.

ASDF!!! (just to have something else in caps)

News Comments > SiN Episodes: Emergence Patch
9. Re: sigh May 18, 2006, 01:36 .Drifter

No funnier than people paying 50+ for a game full game, that isn't any longer.

467 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo