Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname .Drifter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 20, 2001, 09:41
Total Comments 462 (Amateur)
User ID 8752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > id & Valve Assets in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?
54. Talking about religion... Apr 7, 2007, 04:21 .Drifter

But the JEW Lawyers will be ALL over this one right Blue?

Jack Thompson is CHRISTIAN... and I'd consider him one of the worst lawyers out there... so, is Jewish supposed to be a slur then? I'd think in this case Christian would be a worse one...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > id & Valve Assets in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?
42. Re: No subject Apr 7, 2007, 01:14 .Drifter

but I also have have a decent perspective on the world and and more importantly morals.

Ok, I bolded part of that to make it stand out. You have a decent perspective on morals and yet feel it is OK to steal.

Can I spend a few nights at your house for free? And can I have your VCR for free? I mean, you probably have more money than me and a bigger house than me, so it's ok right?
I mean, you have more than me so it's OK for me to take your stuff from you right?
Right?
It's only moral, since you have more.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 01:15.

News Comments > New Star Wars Galaxies Chapter
28. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 24, 2007, 02:55 .Drifter

My kids love The Phantom Menace - they even like Jar Jar Binks. I think really you need to accept that Star Wars has ALWAYS been aimed at children - just cause you aged 20 years doesn't mean to say the target age range has also. Or are you telling me that the Ewoks were designed to appeal to hardcore nerds?

I mean really what would you rather spend a rainy sunday afternoon with a bunch of kids watching - Star Wars or High School Musical.

Always aimed at children? Hmm, not so sure about that. I mean seriously, Star Wars had Darth Vader choke a man to death, Obi Wan chopped a guys arm off and left a bloody mess, Han Solo shot Greedo FIRST, the Empire blows up a planet and murders billions of people, Leia is tortured (off screen), and several starfighter pilots are blown to bits screaming in agony. Empire starts with a Luke getting mauled by a snow man and stuffed into the guts of a big, stinky, furry creature, hundreds of people are gunned down, Han Solo is tortured on screen and frozen in carbonite, C-3PO is blown apart, and Luke gets his hand chopped off.
Return was originally Revenge of the Jedi and was meant to have Wookies instead of Ewoks, but Lucas in a flash of brilliance decided Ewoks would sell better as stuffed toys, which is when the franchise started it's kiddiefied downhill turn. I mean seriously, other than the starwars christmas special, how many other kiddie cartoons did starwars have before droids and ewok adventures, which came out about the time Return did? None that I can remember.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 02:56.

News Comments > New NVIDIA ForceWare Vista Drivers
19. Re: Message to whiners... Feb 21, 2007, 00:41 .Drifter

What specific fixes are you whining about than need updating? (there are a few especially with the newest product line) Is it really a deal breaker?

Lets see, how about the bug that exists, has existed for nearly all of 2006 on XP, where the 6800 series of video cards shows video clips so dark you can't see them unless you disable overlays, or spend several minutes adjusting the gamma and other settings? I don't know if that would be considered a deal breaker for some or not, but if I'm using my computer to watch DVD's and can't watch them without having to mess with the settings every time I reset my computer, I'd think it was a legitimate complaint.

Oh, and stop whining about whiners.

News Comments > 9Dragons Open Beta
3. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2007, 01:26 .Drifter

Game also uses an anti cheat program, Nprotect I think it was called. I never could get the game to run and NOT hang my computer on shut down. Several other people on the forum posted the same issue, and I don't there ever was a response to the issue that I remember.
Also, I never could get WoW to run after running 9Dragons either, the minute WoW launched the computer would crash, but only after I had run 9Dragons. I eventually gave up on the Acclaim beta and tried the UK Persistent Worlds one, which had not anti cheat programs, had a higher screen resolution, and for me at least had a lot less bugs. But they're out of business now, so meh.

News Comments > BioShock Website, Q&A
22. Re: No subject Jan 21, 2007, 20:43 .Drifter

Just a quick comment, the reference regarding xbox360/PC was the HUD, not the entire UI from what I glanced over. Also, something else to remember, the 360 displays at a higher resolution than the original Xbox. So at least graphically for the PC HUD, there is still hope.

News Comments > Taking the Piss Out of Vista
49. Re: Games For Windows Jan 12, 2007, 20:01 .Drifter

We're talking about PARENTAL CONTROLS here. A prerequisite of parental controls being used is parents caring about their kids and what they do on their computers.

And don't forget we're talking about MICROSOFT here, a company that enables a lot of crap to run when windows starts up, with default settings, that most people don't use anyways. So parental controls will probably be enabled by default.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
26. Re: No subject Dec 29, 2006, 00:41 .Drifter

While Wii has plenty of support now (as I expected) that will drop off in a year or so. See, the hardcore gaming scene makes up for the vast majority of sales so the people wanting the most powerful will outspend the casual players, however other factors such as increased bluray sales, increased PSP sales, PS2/PS1 compatibility and 360s lack of xbox compat will push more to the PS3. Also, many people dont see the point in buying a wii when they can get a PS2 for the fraction of the price, buy its games and then when they can afford a PS3 keep them.

The issue with this is that most of the hardcore players that wanted one have already bought a PS3, and did so come hell or high water, even at the risk of getting shot. Everyone still waiting are the semi hardcore who will buy when the price drops. Compare this to the Wii, being bought largely by casual players. Casual players will always outnumber hardcore ones, so if the numbers remain constant for sales of the Wii all through 2007, the numbers in 2008 I don't see as being the true measure of success for the Wii. Why? Well, if it sells as well all year in 2007 as it does now there will be a lot, and I mean a lot, of Wii's out there already due to all the casual players purchasing on a whim. And a huge amount of casual players all buying a few games each will still provide more money than a few hardcore players buying a lot of games each. And as for hardcore outspending casual, well maybe on a per person basis, but if you look at the comment EA posted about the Madden series (and I take everything EA says with a grain of salt) the majority of their sales, and I would think this meant income too, come from casual players purchasing the game every 2 to 3 years and not the hardcore players purchasing the game every year.
Now, as for increasing sales. Blueray, well, this is an assumption that Blueray will become the dominant HD standard, and as of yet there isn't a declared winner that I know of. Increased PSP sales. Hmm, I don't think I've read anywhere that PSP sales are going up as of yet.
And for the comment about buying a PS2 and PS2 games and carrying them over to the PS3, not too sure I see this as happening either. Why? Because honestly, who as of now does not own a PS2 that wants one? Anyone? And as for carrying games over, why would someone buy a PS2 just so they can buy PS2 games to use on their PS3 when they could buy a Wii and use their gamecube games on it? Yeah, nowhere near as many gamecube owners as PS2 owners, but if I was a gamecube only owner I wouldn't waste money on buying a PS2 and PS2 games just to use them on a possible future purchase of a PS3.

News Comments > Dark Sector PC Cancelled
25. Re: *sigh* Dec 27, 2006, 23:38 .Drifter

Considering that the current 'Dark Sector' isn't the one I became interested in in the first place, I could care less if it's on PC or not.

News Comments > SiN Episodes Q&A
52. Re: Episodic content already exsists... Dec 23, 2006, 01:30 .Drifter

But Mustaine is also full of shit on that. Every major retailer in the U.S. that I visited like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, CompUSA, and Circuit City had the Sin Episode sitting on the shelf right next to the $50 games. It wasn't relegated into some hidden bin with other less expensive games. And, if anything that created a perception that the Sin Episode was a real, full-length game when it was not.

Perception. That's the key. People perceive things differently. Me, I go into a store and see a cheap game setting on a shelf beside a higher priced one and I think 'hmm, low price probably means low budget and shoddy gameplay,' which I think a lot of people think also, whether or not it's right or wrong. Just as many other people will see a cheap game by a more expensive one and think 'wow, if it's beside the expensive games it must be good.'
All in all, I just usually wait for expensive games to become cheap games and then buy them.

As for the sports game being episodic, I consider them seasonal not episodic. But, if you want to play the teams with the newest rosters, stats, and rankings you have to buy the new game. In that respect they are somewhat comparable to episodic games, in that I don't think I've ever seen a game company offer a roster/stat update to a year old game. So, for someone who just has to have the latest teams with their players the sport game is only a complete game until the next season of that sport. Then it's complete for last season, not this season, and it's time to buy this years complete game.
Personally, I don't give a leaping lizard about sports games. I don't own any, don't plan to. Sure, I'll play one with someone else but that's about as far as it goes.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade Patch
12. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2006, 00:13 .Drifter

The only map that has given me any real trouble is the Tau stronghold. Partly because of all the stealthed snipers, and partly because the minute the map loads you're being attacked.
So far I only have 2 complaints about the game, one of which the Tau base reminded me of.
1. The AI seems too partial to a Zerg rush on a lot of the maps.
2. Necrons. They really need to balance out and improve the rez ability. Some maps I'm fighting nonstop since they seem to rez almost as fast as they drop. Other maps, only their leader rezes.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade Patch
7. Re: No subject Dec 17, 2006, 01:38 .Drifter

No storyline at all because of the turn based concept. Boring.

Well, from that comment right there I doubt you ever finished Dark Crusade. No Story? Yeah, right. Each army has it's own story, which you pick up pieces of as you defeat each side. After defeating all sides you get the story cap that says how it all turns out for which ever side you played through as.
Personally, I've like Dark Crusade better than the others in the series. Maybe that's just because I played the game to skirmish mainly though.
Oh, and dirty brown and black against snow. Uh, Winter Assault, not summer, set on a war torn planet, so it's not all that suprising it's brown, black, and white.

Egh, the entire single-player game consists of generic skirmishes?
Well, not quite. While the goal of most of the missions is to destroy the enemies headquarters on that map, a few are different. One, you have to kill a certain number of enemies before the enemy kills a certain number of your units. In another you have to gather a certain number of bots before the enemy does. In one you have to wipe out the enemies army before he wipes out yours, and you cannot reinforce while he can. And finally, for each enemy stronghold there are several optional missions you can do which usually make destroying the enemy stronghold easier. But yes, it's basically you picking one skirmish map after another while fending off enemy counter attacks against your territories. Kind of like Risk, but with DoW units.
This comment was edited on Dec 17, 01:47.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: No subject Dec 15, 2006, 01:56 .Drifter

I really liked the game, hated the ending though. Coming after FF7, it made me wonder if Square hated women or something.

News Comments > Ritual Departures
9. Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 12:56 .Drifter

I do not want "dynamic leveling"

Uh, then why didn't you turn it off in SiN Ep. 1?

News Comments > Prey Patch
15. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2006, 01:24 .Drifter

From what I've read so far, the service seems to have gone down Sept. 29th, 3DR didn't seem to know about it until a few days later, first response being around Oct. 6th. Per a post by OBWANDO from Triton a patch will be released for the Triton version to unlock it. The box version appears to be something 3DR and Take 2 are offering.

News Comments > Triton Closes - Prey for a Solution
83. Re: Aha! Oct 9, 2006, 00:13 .Drifter

Yes, I read it, and yes, I saw where the drives were in storage. So, if they're in storage and the computer does not have one installed, none of the disks for that drive can be used on your computer. The same effect you would have with a CD-ROM that required, say, Starforce authentication and no CD/DVD ROM drive to use it with, so it could not be loaded and used on the computer. Which would be the same with a Steam game if Steam disappeared. You'd have a piece of software that required authentication, and no way to authenticate it.
Which I thought I was saying in my post. If the hardware is gone, the game cannot be authenticated. If Steam is gone, it's games cannot be authenticated. If not authenticated, they cannot be run, same for both Steam and a drive based game.

As for the comment about copying from 5.25 to 3.5 disks, what? I was commenting about the disk not working with the drive (wrong size and wouldn't fit) and I did not say the format was unusable. As long as you have the drive, you can use the disk, which is what I've said and agreed with. Although, with most CD/DVD software being copy protected nowadays I don't know of many that can be copied disc to disc directly as you could with floppy disks.
Oh, and if you lost the code wheel or the manual, you couldn't play the game. Authentication system gone, can't play. Same as if Steam were gone, can't authenticate can't play.

80. Re: Aha! Oct 8, 2006, 22:36 .Drifter

Even though it is a moot point, yes, I do have about a dozen 360K and 1.2MB floppy drives in storage

By this comment, am I to assume that you have the disks but not the drive? Meaning you couldn't play them?

But that is a specious argument because the disc-based copy-protection systems used in PC games up until now have been mostly if not completely compatible with newer hardware.

Didn't answer the question. I was talking in regards to a change in storage format, you did an end run around the question and responded by saying how it would work as long as the hardware was around and working.
Which, by the way, is just like how online authentication works as long as the service is supported.
Anyways, formats change, people stop making the hardware, and eventually you won't be able to use the software because the authentication system can't be used without the correct hardware. 5.25 disks going to 3.5 disk to CD-ROM to DVD-ROM. Just as a 5.25 disk could not work in a 3.5 drive, there's no guarantee that future drive formats will still support CD or DVD storage. It's all good and well to say that as long as the hardware works the game can be used, but eventually hardware breaks down, and it will be hard if not impossible to replace that hardware to use the software that REQUIRES that certain drive type to load. Just the same as if an online Steam service went out of business.

51. Re: Digital Distribution Oct 8, 2006, 17:41 .Drifter

I refuse to be for it at all until they lower the price since.

Gonna be a while before online prices are lower than store prices. Why? Instore sales are still greater than online downloads, at least for now. And if you undersell a store through online sales, they (store) will be less likely to stock your software instore which will really eat into total sales. So, until online sales outstrip store sales, no real chance of online prices dropping. Then again, when online sales outdo instore sales, and the online sellers know people will pay the same price as an instore sale, they will have no incentive to lower the price. meh.

47. Re: Aha! Oct 8, 2006, 17:21 .Drifter

Your point is moot. I have games from defunct companies like 3DO, Acclaim, and Interplay that are far less than 20 years old which would not run if they required online authentication or were limited to a few installations as are the games released via Steam, Trygames, and Direct2Drive.

How is the point moot? You never did answer if you still had a 5.25 inch floppy on your computer to play games from 20 years ago.
Ok, bring it up to more modern methods. Say they come out with a HD-DVD (or something similar) drive that is not backward compatible with current DVD or CD drives. Heck, lest say they move all future software to some other storage format, like ROM chips you plug into a slot reader. As most games coming out these days require some kind of CD security check before they run, having a drive or especially a memory card reader that cannot be used with the old CD games, and what do you have? A comparable issue to what you would have if a download company went out. A game you could not run (without cracking it) since the copy you have could not be validated. Which, I think, was the point that was trying to be made, if the format changes and you do not have the drive required to use that format, you still lose out on the chance to run the software.

News Comments > Penny Arcade Game
57. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2006, 23:59 .Drifter

It makes sense because both Oprah and PA are hugely successful in their relative domains. They're successful because they appeal to the largely stupid and unwashed masses. The same masses who have a knee slapping laugh at every Family Guy gag, the same knuckle dragging masses who propelled Friends to the top of the Neilson ratings.

But hey you have nothing to worry about. The PA army is a fearsome juggernauht consisting of both rail thin 90lb men and 300lb obese disafected losers who put in over 80 hours/week in WoW. You can all take solace in knowing you'll never have to deal with icky girls.

I like PA, wasn't gonna respond to this thread until I read this. Now, I don't mind being called a part of the unwashed masses, but as for the rest, that annoyed me.

First off, I hate family guy with a passion. Can't stand the show, it has no humor what so ever. I've seen a few episodes on and off, and it's nothing but a bunch of stupid, unrelated skits connected by an idiotic story, if you want to call it a story. As for friends, I never could understand why anyone would want to watch a show about a bunch of half brain dead yuppyish friends. I never much cared for seinfeld either.
Anyways, call me unwashed all you want, but do not say I like family guy or friends. Now that's an insult.

462 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo