Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname .Drifter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 20, 2001, 09:41
Total Comments 467 (Amateur)
User ID 8752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Analysis
52. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 31, 2010, 04:29 .Drifter

Jerykk wrote on May 31, 2010, 01:40:
These games are designed for console and run better there.

Care to elaborate? Higher resolutions + higher AA + higher AF + higher framerates + quicker and more precise controls = PC. Even if a game has awkward M/KB controls, you can very easily use a gamepad instead. So please explain how the console version of any multiplatform game "runs better" than the PC version.

An unoptimized port running on a computer that falls in the mid range to lowest of the upper range of computers, which is what many regular computer users would have, can run more poorly than a game programmed and optimized primarily for a console. This can be seen by all the PC user posts that pop up complaining "my computer is a top of the line, 20 core, 6 card SLI system with 100GB or RAM and 20TB hard drives, and the game runs like crap" (exaggerated numbers for effect, of course) when most multi-platform releases come out.
Throw in the crash bugs, driver conflicts, non release of patches to fix issues, etc., and that can also contribute to a game running better on a console.
All this, of course, comes down to the publisher not caring enough to do a game properly programmed for a PC rather than a crap port.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Stolen Gaming Credentials
28. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 17:48 .Drifter

My two cents are that by Symantec posting this information, it can cause people to think "man, they're on top of it since they're the ones who found this out." Throw in the comment about definitions being up to date, you think anti virus and as it is an anti virus company posting this information, if you're in the market for an AV program it might influence you to go with them since the fact that they caught this makes them look good.
So posting this is a good marketing tool, even if it is an indirect one.
The sad thing though, is that if they hadn't put this up and instead two months down the road mentioned in passing that they had found this information out two months earlier . . .
Well, then they would be blasted for not mentioning it as opposed to being blasted for mentioning it in what is seen as an attempt to make them look good.
The fact that they did put it up on a Symantec blog on a Symantec website that would largely only be seen by existing Symantec customers (until someone posts it on another website that is ) does lessen the impression it's an ad for their product just a little.

News Comments > Need Pills?
8. Re: Rad/Radical!! May 22, 2010, 01:41 .Drifter

Diabolus in Musica wrote on May 21, 2010, 15:05:
Ant wrote on May 21, 2010, 13:55:
But is there a direct link to this Google's Pac-Man game since it will go away after today? I wonder how much Namco got paid.

Yeah a direct link is critical since there aren't like 1 million other ways to play this ancient game legally for free if you wanted to. Oh, wait...

True! Because I've played this game for years with a maze in the shape of a Google logo. Oh, wait...
Anywho, I'm thinking that's why he wants a link, for the Google maze.

News Comments > Avatar Game Sells Well
10. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 04:49 .Drifter

My grandmothers never bought me any video or computer games, going all the way back to the days of the Atari 2600.
If anyone bought me a game, it was one of my parents.
And to be honest, I don't see very many, if any, grandparent age looking people in most video game stores, nor in the game section in most super stores (ie. Walmart, Kmart, Target, or even Best Buy).
Granted, I don't spend all day every day in these places, so I could be missing it. This is just personal experience though, and those vary person to person.
Edited to clarify, this isn't a comment to anyone in particular, just to the "Grandma bought it" comment itself since I've heard it for years and always wondered where these mythical, game buying grandma's were at, lol.

News Comments > Square Enix Record Profits
7. Re: Square Enix Record Profits May 18, 2010, 16:25 .Drifter

kxmode wrote on May 18, 2010, 15:05:
Fuzzmatang wrote on May 18, 2010, 15:01:
Never ceases to amaze me that people lap up Final Fantasy XIII and ignore real RPG's.

Even more amazing they still call it "Final" Fantasy. It's like the boy who cried wolf! "Okay I swear to god this is the final fantasy! I swear!" It's enough to make anyone do this Golfclap

Well, technically, up until Final Fantasy X, each game was the final fantasy for that particular set of characters in that particular game world. At least from what I remember.
Final Fantasy X2 was the first true sequel, followed by Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core, which was a prequel.

News Comments > New MTX
7. Re: New MTX May 3, 2010, 17:55 .Drifter

This isn't air, water, or food.
I don't have to have it.
It's free.
Taken all together, that means I can wait until all the bugs are ironed out and then get it if I want to.
Or I can not get it.

As a side note, I seem to remember several posts about how bad MW4 was, and some asking why bother to release it.
A lot of complaints I've read here and elsewhere from people ranting and trying to get a bad, free game.

News Comments > WAR Over-Billing Follow-up
11. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 04:54 .Drifter

Dev wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 04:24:
Also, this has been going on since march 23rd at least (thats the earliest report in forum of the transaction dates) and new charges have been added up through this week.

So apparently mythic has been asleep at the switch and letting this happen for TWO WEEKS. Seems it took a huge customer outcry for them to do anything, rather than keeping an eye on thier billing system.

Huge customer out cry?
Do they still even HAVE enough customers to have a huge outcry?

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patched
13. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Mar 23, 2010, 20:29 .Drifter

sir wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 17:15:
JoeNapalm wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 15:36:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 15:28:
Isn't this game fixed yet, can't Blizzard get this right after 5 years?

Yeeeah.

The amount of money they've made with this game dwarfs the GNP of most of the globe, and can only be expressed using complex equations (involving sixth-dimensional numbers).

If that ain't "getting it right", you might want to rethink your perspective.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

You might want to finagle some of that money yourself to invest in a sarcasm detector, since it's pretty much a certainty that Acleacius' post was in jest.

Well, when it comes to Bluesnews comments, you never know for certain.

News Comments > NVIDIA Responds to ATI PhysX Comments
22. Re: NVIDIA Responds to ATI PhysX Comments Mar 13, 2010, 01:31 .Drifter

"trolling ... Yes... Get angry about it."

lol

News Comments > Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge Announced
8. Re: Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge Announced Mar 12, 2010, 01:59 .Drifter

At least they toned his hair down a bit this time, lol.  

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again
64. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 9, 2010, 04:50 .Drifter

Lol.  

59. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 9, 2010, 02:46 .Drifter

But why limit a good pimp slap to just a hoe?
Share the fun!

56. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 9, 2010, 02:34 .Drifter

To prove it to yourself simply type "steam failed to" into Google and then see all the suggestions which popup like "steam failed to connect" and "steam failed to contact key server". Then click on some of the links.

I've had one or maybe two instances of steam not launching a game due to a decryption error on purchase, but I have over 20 games on it so it doesn't bother me. Using google to prove a point though?
Try typing "how to pimp slap" into google, and look at the results.
Must be a lot of people out there who don't know how to pimp slap, eh?
I'm sorry, but you can type just about anything you have a problem with into google and get a decent number of hits, especially with things more people are involved in or use.

54. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 9, 2010, 02:28 .Drifter

I can easily see people attacking the servers.
Maybe not to the degree that it's causing all the issues they are attributing to attacks, but still to some degree.
And I'd bet most of the attacks are from the "It has DRM, so I won't bother with it" group, who again instead of actually having nothing to do with it either try to pirate it or attack the servers out of spite.
Not that it matters to me, since I have NO plans to ever touch any of these games unless the DRM is removed.
Even then, only PoP might get a purchase, on sale, with the DRM removed.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Does Apple’s iPad Prove We’re Too Gullible? Feb 12, 2010, 03:34 .Drifter

My first thought on seeing an iPad was: Wow, it that an over sized iPod touch prop for a comedy skit?  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer
10. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 03:29 .Drifter

space captain wrote on Feb 11, 2010, 22:39:
Players will eventually face off against the Borg Queen, the leader of the Collective, but the road to her lair is a very dangerous path.

and then 5 minutes later she will be reborn, the road will be rebuilt and everything will go back to exactly as it was before

AWESOME! and so very compelling

While there could be options besides this industry standard method of making MMORPG's, I'm guessing they'd be pretty difficult.
Why?
Well, the publisher puts in new content. Those players who seem to live in online games conquer it within a day or two of release, the content is done. Rather than reset, the creators of the game LEAVE it done, just like "real life" would be.
Then what happens?
No one else gets a shot at it, new content must be released, at which time . . .
Lather, rinse, repeat, with the same group of people getting all the new content each patch.

One alternative I could mention is to do what EVE did. Just don't bother with content and let players pretty much make the game up as they go. Or, as I like to think of EVE, make an economic simulator and throw in some method for players to kill each other. Or do some repetitive, mind numbing activity.
Heck, change the ships to armored, heavily armed players. Then change space into large, open FPS zones with vehicles.
Viola! ADAM online!
Throw out random stories, make some new guns, armor, and vehicles every once in a while, and give people the ability to go into mines and MINE things, and you've got a new hit game!
Or did they already do this and call it Fallen Earth (which most people don't seem to care for)?

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 03:31.

News Comments > AvP Demo Released Early
65. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 9, 2010, 21:01 .Drifter

Test.  

News Comments > Aliens vs Predator "Marine" Trailer
23. Re: Aliens vs Predator Feb 5, 2010, 23:02 .Drifter

Also, the PC demo only features DX9 graphics and not the VISUAL QUALITY of the retail version.
I've seen the part about the demo only featuring DX9 graphics multiple times, and my question about that is: AND?
I have yet to see anything in DX10 or DX11 that is all that much more impressive than what I've seen so far in DX9, so when someone uses that excuse for a demo it just don't cut it. Saying it has reduced visual quality due to lower res textures, that I could believe.
But lesser quality due to DX9 only? Not so much belief there.

News Comments > Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale
21. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 3, 2010, 00:28 .Drifter

Star Trek's vision of the future isn't one full of ion cannons going off everywhere, people having all-out ground war and constant combat.

While this might be true, I have seen every episode of the original series, possibly all of TNG also, and you have to admit that there were a lot of fights in them. From TOS phaser battles, fist fights, and space ship battles to TNG's several space fights.
Heck, the last 2 or 3 seasons of DS9 seemed like nothing much more than constant fighting. At least what I watched of them.
Not defending the game, just saying that people seem to look back on ST with rose tinted lenses.

News Comments > Fallen Earth Invites Former Players
11. Re: Fallen Earth Invites Former Players Jan 25, 2010, 04:59 .Drifter

The main problem with this MMO is it doesn't have Fallout anywhere in the name.
Thank goodness for that.
If it did, it would probably kill the Fallout franchise.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2010, 04:59.

467 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo