Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname .Drifter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 20, 2001, 09:41
Total Comments 463 (Amateur)
User ID 8752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Gameplay Trailer
11. Re: BioShock Infinite Gameplay Trailer Sep 19, 2010, 02:51 .Drifter

I bought Prototype for the PC, never finished it.
It has several minor bugs the programmers never cared to fix. Biggest one for me was an issue the game has with the Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse. Ran like crap with the mouse attached to the computer and the mouse software installed, the only game I have had this issue with. Only ways for me to get the game to run well were to 1. unplug the mouse totally from the system and plug in an xbox 360 controller to play with (which I found annoying, the unplugging of the mouse not the using of a controller) or 2. go into device manager and disable HID devices, which let the mouse stay attached while you played with no slowdown.
The downside to the second method was that I lost all advanced feature controls for the mouse (user configured sensitivity settings, macros, etc.) with HID devices disabled.

Compared to Prototype, I found Wolverine more fun and the only issue I had with it was to consistently get v-sync to work.
Changing the setting in the config file broke something with the game engine, and caused textures to disappear or become very blurred (the only unreal engine game this has happened to me on), but forcing v-sync through nvidia control panel worked most of the time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On APB Refunds, Epic's APB Interest, and RTW's Closure
34. Re: On APB Refunds, Epic's APB Interest, and RTW's Closure Sep 17, 2010, 21:42 .Drifter

Don't most online games of the MMORPG type have some sort of statement in the EULA, something along the lines of "Provider can stop providing game service after X number of days notice" with X usually being 30?
It's been a while since one I played went under, but the one that did had the 30 day clause and so stayed open 30 days after the announcement.

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free
12. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 01:58 .Drifter

I seem to remember, a few months back, Turbine being used as an example of how not to do an online game.
And now much singing of praises to Turbine about how they're doing it right.
Ironic.

News Comments > Game Addiction Lawsuit Progresses in Spite of EULA
11. Re: Game Addiction Lawsuit Progresses in Spite of EULA Sep 2, 2010, 01:42 .Drifter

If by some strange twist of fate this twit actually WINS this lawsuit, I will sue NCsoft too, and DEMAND to go through whatever court the case was won in.
And I'd sue NCsoft for NOT making Lineage II addictive enough to hold my attention.
I tried the beta waaaaaaaay back when, and after about two hours of play I logged out and deleted it.
If he wins a case about the game addicting him, it should be easy for me to win one about not being addicted. Seriously, if it is considered addictive, and yet it doesn't addict me, then it's defective and I WANTS ME MONEYS!

News Comments > Captains of Darktide Offline, Moving
6. Re: Captains of Darktide Offline, Moving Aug 29, 2010, 20:28 .Drifter

My question is this:
If it's a "major publisher" then WHY aren't they buying newer, better servers in the new location, installing all the required software there, and THEN bringing them online, all the while leaving the existing servers online?

Closing the old servers for weeks to move them, when you have a "major publisher" on board seems a little off to me.

News Comments > Warhammer 40K Space Marine Using Steamworks, Not GFWL
19. Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine Using Steamworks, Not GFWL Aug 15, 2010, 05:22 .Drifter

Prez wrote on Aug 14, 2010, 02:13:
I'm almost afraid to keep wishing for Relic to do Homeworld 3. If they make that a concurrent console release, I think I might just die of sadness. Bigcry

I'd rather they not do a Homeworld 3, and have had that opinion since playing Homeworld 2.
They came up with this detailed history, built a game around it (Homeworld 1), then basically rewrote the whole thing for part 2, and even seemed to take the ingame technology (meaning technology available to the units, not game engine) back a bit from the first game. Then they make the whole game a race (and yeah, I know that fit the theme of the game, you're under a sneak attack and on the run), that for me sucked a lot of the fun out of it.
I preferred Homeworld: Cataclysm to Homeworld 2, even with it's cheesy Borg ripoff of a story.

News Comments > Blizzard's PC Stance
24. Re: Blizzard's PC Stance Aug 11, 2010, 02:02 .Drifter

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 01:53:
TheDrifter73 wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 01:43:
Number 4 you could probably leave off, since I've yet to buy a game I couldn't install to my console's hard drive, thus alleviating the streaming speed issue.

They have to make it playable for those who do not or cannot do so.

Yup, why I said probably leave it off.
That being said, as far as I can remember every PS3 comes with a HD built in it, and personally (your mileage might vary) I have yet to meet someone that has bought an Xbox360 without a hard drive.

News Comments > Blizzard's PC Stance
21. Re: Blizzard's PC Stance Aug 11, 2010, 01:43 .Drifter

Number 4 you could probably leave off, since I've yet to buy a game I couldn't install to my console's hard drive, thus alleviating the streaming speed issue.  

News Comments > Blizzard on Real ID
45. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 01:49 .Drifter

Draugr wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 01:01:
TheDrifter73 wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 00:45:
One thing people keep forgetting when talking about Real ID and comparing it to other social networking places, such as Facebook.
The people in the WoW forums a Frakking INSANE! They're a lot crazier than anyone on any social networking site I've ever seen...

You'll see how 'different' they really are when this goes down. Operating under anonymity can go a long way with people, this is why discussion in on the internet is generally more contentious, they don't feel accountable, adding real life name adds a sense of accountability to their post (even though its mostly just imaginary) and that will give people pause when it comes to trolling/flaming. Which for some people is exactly why they are on the internet.

Personally, I think the forums will become quite 'boring' when this is all done, and for more like everyone else's official forums, at least in comparison of its turbulent past. For better or worse, we'll see soon enough I guess, heh.

An ass is an ass regardless of whether you know their real name or not. I spent a few years in a business interacting with customers where I knew their name, address, phone number, and various other pieces of information. Had I wanted to, I could have driven up to their house, knock on their door, and spoken to each family member by name. And yet, even with them knowing this, many were STILL jerks.
At most, this will cause the paranoid ones to back off in the forums, but as for making the forums totally "different" nope, I doubt it.
In any case, my comment was meant to be partially in jest.
I did mean the part about WoW forums posters being insane though.
Batshit insane.

News Comments > Blizzard on Real ID
30. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 00:45 .Drifter

One thing people keep forgetting when talking about Real ID and comparing it to other social networking places, such as Facebook.
The people in the WoW forums a Frakking INSANE! They're a lot crazier than anyone on any social networking site I've ever seen.
In terms of picking someone who might actually kill you after getting annoyed at you in a social networking place, range of 1 (not likely) to 10 (very likely)?
Facebook: 2
WoW forums: 8

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day 9
14. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day 9 Jul 3, 2010, 03:41 .Drifter

Regarding Saints Row 2 . . .
Windows XP, 3Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB RAM, 512MB 8800GT.
Game runs good while on foot, like crap while driving.
Frame rate doesn't drop so much as the game just stutters like mad while moving in any vehicle.
On foot thought, runs pretty good. I can run, attack, get in massive fights with nary a bit of slowdown, but the minute I even think about getting in a car it's like the game knows, and stutter, stutter, stutter.

News Comments > Super Street Fighter 4 PC Still Coming?
22. Re: Super Street Fighter 4 PC Still Coming? Jun 29, 2010, 04:28 .Drifter

ASeven wrote on Jun 28, 2010, 20:26:
Pirated copy does not mean a lost sale. And the link I provided, along with the quote, shows that Capcom was quite pleased with the PC sales.

Piracy is still a stupid excuse.

True, a pirated copy does not mean a lost sale.
It also does not mean a pirate would not have purchased a game had they not been able to pirate it.
Not knowing the mind and motivation of every single person who pirated the game, you're just going round in circles with that one.

I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't consider "cautiously optimistic" and "so far, satisfied," to be equivalent to "quite pleased."

To put my thinking in to food terms, "cautiously optimistic" and "so far, satisfied" are terms I would use when referring to a turkey TV Dinner.
"Quite pleased" is what I would use to refer to a full on, homemade turkey dinner with dressing, desert, and a big glass of milk.

Neither being bad, but one more notably good than the other.

News Comments > Super Street Fighter 4 PC Still Coming?
19. Re: Super Street Fighter 4 PC Still Coming? Jun 28, 2010, 20:20 .Drifter

ASeven wrote on Jun 28, 2010, 13:29:
The piracy excuse is nothing more than that, an excuse. There's piracy, sure, but thankfully fewer are buying into that excuse.

I don't know if it's an excuse, the truth, or an issue of perception.
That being said, if I shipped a game and saw 10 times the number of copies being pirated and downloaded as were being sold, and it wasn't due to bugs or the game being "bad" (it was getting high marks from players), then I would perceive that I was being ripped off and thus be less likely to put out another game unless the sales I was seeing were more than of the "cautiously optimistic." Sales would have to be "darn good" or better instead.

News Comments > The Mummy Online Announced
4. Re: The Mummy Online Announced Jun 4, 2010, 05:16 .Drifter

I actually liked both Mummy movies, but I do enjoy campy adventure movies.
I do think they stretched it a bit to tie the story of part 2 to part one.
The dragon one was a stinker though.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Analysis
73. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 31, 2010, 14:55 .Drifter

Jerykk wrote on May 31, 2010, 07:10:
Some recent ports that were stable and had better image quality and performance than their console equivalents:

Mass Effect 2
Wolfenstein
FEAR 2
Prototype
DIRT 2
RE5
OF: Dragon Rising
Mirror's Edge
Dead Space
Far Cry 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Street Fighter 4
Assassin's Creed 2
Just Cause 2
Bioshock 2
CoD:MW2
Splinter Cell: Conviction
AVP
BF:BC2

It seems like you're just taking a handful of crappy ports and assuming that they represent all ports.
First hand knowledge they were better than console version, by playing each on the list on both console and PC?
Or third hand knowledge?
Added the following in an edit:
The Batman, SF IV, and RE5 games I can agree with (heck, throw in about any recent Capcom game too, since they seem to be doing a fine job of porting lately).

58. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 31, 2010, 06:34 .Drifter

Jerykk wrote on May 31, 2010, 04:31:
This can be seen by all the PC user posts that pop up complaining "my computer is a top of the line, 20 core, 6 card SLI system with 100GB or RAM and 20TB hard drives, and the game runs like crap" (exaggerated numbers for effect, of course) when most multi-platform releases come out.

"Most" multiplatform releases? Really? From what I've seen, most ports are solid. There are very, very few that actually run or look worse than their console counterparts. Even GTA4 PC is better than the console versions.

There is an important distinction to make in terms of standards, though. PC gamers tend to have much higher standards for image quality and performance than console gamers. For example, 30 FPS is considered standard for console games, while 60 FPS is considered standard for PC games. If a console port runs at an average of 45 FPS, PC gamers will complain because that's below the standard for PC games. However, that's still better than the console version. Similarly, we expect to be able to use AA in our games. But even if a port doesn't support it, we can still run at much higher resolutions than the console versions. It really doesn't take much for a port to be superior to the console versions.

"Most" multiplatform releases, yes really, at least in my experience.
From your response, are you considering "runs better" to be the same as "runs faster?" That's the impression I'm getting by the fact that you brought up FPS.
What I mean by "runs better" is that the game runs as trouble and glitch free as possible.
Moving on to some games I don't consider to run better on PC, from what I've seen and experienced.
Saints Row 2 both looks better and runs at a higher FPS on PC compared to Xbox360, but I do not consider it to "run better" than the console original. This is due to the nasty bug the game has for many, if not most, people with the PC version where driving at a high speed causes the game to stutter so badly you have trouble controlling the vehicle.
Fable is another example of a PC port that I don't necessarily consider to "run better" on the PC. Yes, it's prettier and has a higher FPS, but it also seems (again, in my experience) to crash randomly, something the xbox original never did for me.
Borderlands is a third example that I also don't necessarily consider to run better on PC. Better graphics and higher FPS, but a nice little shadow glitch that was introduced about 2 or 3 patches ago. An issue I have not seen in the Xbox360 version.
And finally, and oldie but goodie, the port of the first Halo game to PC, which did not run as smoothly and had a tendency to crash.

52. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 31, 2010, 04:29 .Drifter

Jerykk wrote on May 31, 2010, 01:40:
These games are designed for console and run better there.

Care to elaborate? Higher resolutions + higher AA + higher AF + higher framerates + quicker and more precise controls = PC. Even if a game has awkward M/KB controls, you can very easily use a gamepad instead. So please explain how the console version of any multiplatform game "runs better" than the PC version.

An unoptimized port running on a computer that falls in the mid range to lowest of the upper range of computers, which is what many regular computer users would have, can run more poorly than a game programmed and optimized primarily for a console. This can be seen by all the PC user posts that pop up complaining "my computer is a top of the line, 20 core, 6 card SLI system with 100GB or RAM and 20TB hard drives, and the game runs like crap" (exaggerated numbers for effect, of course) when most multi-platform releases come out.
Throw in the crash bugs, driver conflicts, non release of patches to fix issues, etc., and that can also contribute to a game running better on a console.
All this, of course, comes down to the publisher not caring enough to do a game properly programmed for a PC rather than a crap port.

News Comments > Stolen Gaming Credentials
28. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 17:48 .Drifter

My two cents are that by Symantec posting this information, it can cause people to think "man, they're on top of it since they're the ones who found this out." Throw in the comment about definitions being up to date, you think anti virus and as it is an anti virus company posting this information, if you're in the market for an AV program it might influence you to go with them since the fact that they caught this makes them look good.
So posting this is a good marketing tool, even if it is an indirect one.
The sad thing though, is that if they hadn't put this up and instead two months down the road mentioned in passing that they had found this information out two months earlier . . .
Well, then they would be blasted for not mentioning it as opposed to being blasted for mentioning it in what is seen as an attempt to make them look good.
The fact that they did put it up on a Symantec blog on a Symantec website that would largely only be seen by existing Symantec customers (until someone posts it on another website that is ) does lessen the impression it's an ad for their product just a little.

News Comments > Need Pills?
8. Re: Rad/Radical!! May 22, 2010, 01:41 .Drifter

Diabolus in Musica wrote on May 21, 2010, 15:05:
Ant wrote on May 21, 2010, 13:55:
But is there a direct link to this Google's Pac-Man game since it will go away after today? I wonder how much Namco got paid.

Yeah a direct link is critical since there aren't like 1 million other ways to play this ancient game legally for free if you wanted to. Oh, wait...

True! Because I've played this game for years with a maze in the shape of a Google logo. Oh, wait...
Anywho, I'm thinking that's why he wants a link, for the Google maze.

News Comments > Avatar Game Sells Well
10. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 04:49 .Drifter

My grandmothers never bought me any video or computer games, going all the way back to the days of the Atari 2600.
If anyone bought me a game, it was one of my parents.
And to be honest, I don't see very many, if any, grandparent age looking people in most video game stores, nor in the game section in most super stores (ie. Walmart, Kmart, Target, or even Best Buy).
Granted, I don't spend all day every day in these places, so I could be missing it. This is just personal experience though, and those vary person to person.
Edited to clarify, this isn't a comment to anyone in particular, just to the "Grandma bought it" comment itself since I've heard it for years and always wondered where these mythical, game buying grandma's were at, lol.

463 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo